Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #271
Calway
Mouseketeer

question about Wine & Food Festival

We will be at WDW 10/19-10/24. We have dining plan.
I didn't plan on Food & Wine Festival..I'm not too sure how it runs. I'm worried it will interfer with our park plans for that week.
We have two birthdays that week and plan on getting ADR's in Epcot for 10/23 and 10/24.
Will Epcot be packed on the week-ends? I can't change our birthdays!

Can we use counter service credits for food at this festival or is this a separate admission?
Calway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #272
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The World Showcase will be very crowded on weekends but probably not with people trying to get into the restaurants.

You can use snack credits at the World Showcase kiosks. You cannot use counter service credits. They don't serve full meals, but tasting samples only.
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #273
Calway
Mouseketeer

O.K. Thanks, TDC Nala.
Calway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #274
BelleLovesTheBeast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
FYI - the October hours are out on the TA site: http://www.disneytravelagents.com/St...lendar_Oct.pdf
When I click on this it says 2008... not 2009. Is it current?
10/11 - Sorcerer Radio 10th Anniversary Meet Up | 8/11 - D23 EXPO | 5/11, 1/11, 9/10 - POP | 10/10, 9/10, 6/10, 4/10, 1/10, 12/09 - Marriott | 9/09 - SSR | 8/09 - DL | 10/08 - ASMu DxDDP | 9/07 - CBR | 1/07 - Marriott | 9/06, 9/03- Honeymoon, 10/99 - CSR | 8/96 - OKW | 7/94 - BC | 12/91 - MMDP off-property
BelleLovesTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #275
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
When I click on this it says 2008... not 2009. Is it current?
When I click on it, it does say 2009. Maybe try closing the window, and open it again? I hope it works for you. If not, PM me your dates, and I can check what you need.

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #276
Mom2Em
Member of the SHY DIS'ers
I believe in Miracles!
I cry at everything!! You name it, I cry.

Is there a place to see a full list of events or are they out? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #277
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Em View Post
Is there a place to see a full list of events or are they out? Thanks!
Word has it the events will be released "sometime this month" and booking will be August 11. There is a link on the first post of this thread to the main F&WF site that gives some basic information.
Also, there is a link to a Miami Examiner article (note: the information is unofficial) in post #179 by redzinner. I hope this helps!

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5

Last edited by DisneyCruiser83; 07-02-2009 at 01:23 PM.
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #278
AshleyMWC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
Nothing yet! This is the 1st year of themes so your guess is as good as mine.. I assume maybe classic dishes ???? We will be at the same one so I am sure we will learn together!
We will be at this one also. I have to admit, the themes make me a little nervous, as I used to like the idea of a room full fo all different kinds of foods, but I'm sure it will still be great. I was thinking classical foods might refer to Greek/Roman, "old world" classical foods. Just a thought.....

Mommy and Daddy only trip March 13-18
AshleyMWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #279
kabuki
It's free if you pass out in the DITCH!
I don't think Brenda has seen this to "pimp" me out yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMWC View Post
We will be at this one also. I have to admit, the themes make me a little nervous, as I used to like the idea of a room full fo all different kinds of foods, but I'm sure it will still be great. I was thinking classical foods might refer to Greek/Roman, "old world" classical foods. Just a thought.....
That is a good guess I didn't think of! I was think it was more the lines of Julia Child's cookbook with the release of the movie. Who knows! It could be hamburgers and hot dogs for all I know! It will be interesting what they think classical is! Have fun!
kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #280
BelleLovesTheBeast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruiser83 View Post
When I click on it, it does say 2009. Maybe try closing the window, and open it again? I hope it works for you. If not, PM me your dates, and I can check what you need.
I even tried restarting the computer. Apparently my Mac is pulling up the old page. Bizarre! However I did get it to pull up on my phone so I was able to view it there. Thanks for your offer!
10/11 - Sorcerer Radio 10th Anniversary Meet Up | 8/11 - D23 EXPO | 5/11, 1/11, 9/10 - POP | 10/10, 9/10, 6/10, 4/10, 1/10, 12/09 - Marriott | 9/09 - SSR | 8/09 - DL | 10/08 - ASMu DxDDP | 9/07 - CBR | 1/07 - Marriott | 9/06, 9/03- Honeymoon, 10/99 - CSR | 8/96 - OKW | 7/94 - BC | 12/91 - MMDP off-property
BelleLovesTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #281
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I'd do Todd's 2 years in a row if it's the only one I can get to - will wait to see what his dates are.
Ugh, not doing the Bluezoo special dinner again! Not unless someone posts a review that lets me know it's changed a lot. The 2008 dinner was probably the least successful event we've ever attended at F&W. And we were so looking forward to it.

So, it starts as a cocktail reception. Unfortunately, there's such a mass of people that the poor servers never get more than 10-20 people in before their tray is empty. We had to go hunt them down to get anything. The wine served was good, and the canapes were also good.

We move into the dining room for the main event. Everything looks wonderful, and again we start to get excited. The menu looks good, we're on our second glass of wine, and Chef Todd comes out to welcome everyone.

The food begins to arrive. Again, everything looks incredible and tastes very good, too. Unfortunately, the portion sizes are more in line with an amuse bouche than one course of a 5-course meal. We figure that it's the first course, so we think it might just be because it's a starter.

The courses continue and the wine continues, and with such a lack of food, we're starting to feel the wine. We eventually see a bread basket on another table and ask our server if we can have some bread as well (to sop up the alcohol). It took several attempts (and our pointing out the other table that had bread) until we finally received some. Thank god. At this point, we were taking a sip of the wine just to try it, but not drinking anything else. We're drinking water as quickly as they can pour it.

Looking around, we could see other people standing up rather gingerly, so I don't think it was just us. We've done many signature dinners and exquisite evenings over the years, enjoyed tasting menus and chef's tables across the country, and never have we experienced such a meager amount of food at such a high-level dinner. We ended up stumbling back to our room at the Beach Club, still hungry and still blitzed. It just seemed so bizarre to us. Tons of wine and very little food.

We'll be going back to Victoria & Albert's for their signature dinner again this year. Last year's event was 4 hours of total amazing foodie heaven (though I have to say I preferred Chef Scott's dishes to those of the guest chef).

And V&A confirmed that their dinner will be on October 25, so it's looking like the Examiner info is good (allowing that anything is always subject to change). I knew it was about time to start checking the DIS for F&W info - you guys never disappoint!

We're also psyched that Alan Wong is planning to be there. We've been trying to see him for years, and finally our trip is going to coincide. His restaurant is one of my absolute favorites

Next Trip: Podcast Cruise 5.0

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Jul-Aug 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Dec 2013*Podcast Cruise 5.0
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #282
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
My mother will probably want to go to Paula Deen's lunch even if it is held in Palmhenge at the Festival Welcome Center.

Have found something else to go to - the South Africa wine school.
I'm glad to see that they've gone back to an extended version of the wine schools - first part of the day followed by lunch. Last year, the wine schools didn't include lunch. They were still nice (we did the South Africa one last year), but a few canapes at the end didn't match the lunch we had for the Italian school in previous years.

I like that they're adding the Adventures in Varietals as well. For those people who don't want to do the longer wine school, this sounds like a nice alternative. After being extremely disappointed with some aspects of the festival last year, we are cautiously optimistic based on this preliminary info.

Next Trip: Podcast Cruise 5.0

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Jul-Aug 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Dec 2013*Podcast Cruise 5.0
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #283
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Adventures in Signature Dining question

Can anyone suggest where I can get a review of what the Adventures in Signature Dining events are like. We have been to the food and wine festival for the past three years and again in 86 days.

Never been to any of the extra events. Thinking of going to the one being held at Jinko on September 30. Jinko is on our list for dinner during this trip - thought it might be a good time to try one of the events!

Any help would be appreciated.

There probably is a post somewhere in this thread about this already!!

Thanks
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #284
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaWen View Post
Can anyone suggest where I can get a review of what the Adventures in Signature Dining events are like. We have been to the food and wine festival for the past three years and again in 86 days.

Never been to any of the extra events. Thinking of going to the one being held at Jinko on September 30. Jinko is on our list for dinner during this trip - thought it might be a good time to try one of the events!

Thanks
http://allears.net/tp/ep/foodwine.htm On the left hand side there are many year's worth of reviews... there are some about the Signature Dining events.

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #285
*KeepMovingForward*

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaWen View Post

Thanks
Here's a link to BriarRosie's Jiko Wine Dinner from last year:
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=101
*KeepMovingForward* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: