Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
adamtraci
Earning My Ears

children ages 4, 3 and (almost) 2

Where would u stay and why?

We are planning to go in May 2010 for 8 days and want to stay in one of the resorts.

TIA!
adamtraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
adamtraci
Earning My Ears

OK so my girls will be aged 5 and 4 with the baby being almost two at the time of our trip. My 1st post and I didnt even get the age of my own kids correct! sheesh
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
GatorLady
DIS Veteran

With three small children, if you can afford it, I would definitely suggest staying at one of the monorail resorts. (Contemporary, Poly of GF)

Recent trips: May 2014: WL. Jan 2014: Poly. May 2013: Contemporary. Christmas 2012: POP. May 2012: WL. Christmas 2011: WL. August 2011: POP. May 2011: WL. Feb 2011: CBR. Christmas 2010: WL. Halloween 2010: ASSports. Summer 2010: WL/Contemporary. First trip: 1974
GatorLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
adamtraci
Earning My Ears

yes, we plan to but can you tell me which one of them and what the highlights would be for children of these ages.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

I would pick the Contemporary for the walking path to the MK. It is great to stroll out of your hotel and be at the MK in 5-7 minutes!!!!

Here are some pics from Allearsnet.com:

http://allears.net/acc/g_contm.htm

If not the Contemporary, then the Poly has a cool themed pool and convenient monorail transport to both MK and Epcot.

HTH!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the CR and the Poly when the kids were younger (the GF does not appeal to us at all--too fancy and too girly). Our boys and DH and I much preferred the Poly over the CR.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I would also go with the Contemporary because of they are the closest resort to the Magic Kingdom, they have a walkway which goes there, and transportation wise I would say they are the best.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
adamtraci
Earning My Ears

OK thanks.

I have heard great things about the Poly, although some said it was in need of some refusrbishments because it is an older resort. What are your thoughts on that?

From what I can gather, the CR is conveniently placed and within easy walking distance from MK, but perhaps not so appealing for little kids (girls 5 and 4)??

I think we've definitely narrowed down our picks to CR or Poly. Just not sure which one!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I would say the Contemporary is very appealing for little kids because they have a very good arcade on the 4th floor, Chef Mickey's and right now they are adding a kids splash play area by the swimming pool. So when you factor in all of that, it's location and everything being inside the Tower you can't beat what the Contemporary has to offer.

Finally here is a link to the Contemporary FAQ thread so you can read more about it.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2140296
Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
KatMark
DIS Veteran

CR might have a little edge in convenience, but my kids really did not care for it at all. They much preferred the Poly--more open space, not so much cement, lovely landscaping, great pool, etc.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtraci View Post
OK thanks.

I have heard great things about the Poly, although some said it was in need of some refusrbishments because it is an older resort. What are your thoughts on that?

From what I can gather, the CR is conveniently placed and within easy walking distance from MK, but perhaps not so appealing for little kids (girls 5 and 4)??

I think we've definitely narrowed down our picks to CR or Poly. Just not sure which one!
We've stayed at both the GF and the Poly and I love them both!

We were just at the Poly a few weeks ago -- I found it well taken-care-of and the refurbished rooms are really, really nice.

We prefer the laid-back feeling and lower buildings of the Poly, and the theme, to the CR. The Poly has a great boat (and of course, the monorail) to the MK. I liked it because of the gardens, the theming, the fun pool and beach (my DD spent every afternoon playing there) with a fantastic view of the castle. We loved watching the fireworks every night -- you can see them from the pool and the beach (in addition to the lagoon and MK-view rooms).

Poly doesn't have a jacuzzi -- no big deal for me. About 2/3 of the rooms have patios or balconies, so if you really want one, you need to request it. A really nice thing about the 1st floor rooms is that the patios lead onto grass and gardens, so with little kids, it gives them an extra space to run around while you can relax and still watch them.

To me, CR seems cold, but you can see that many people just love it there. It's really a matter of personal preference (theming, etc.).

Both have their pros in the transportation dept (Poly can walk to TTC, CR can walk to MK), both have really nicely re-done rooms, both have great views (but different). I dont think that one is necessarily better than the other, but people definitely have their preferences.

I suggest you check out the photo threads for each resort -- you can get a good feel for which one would make a better "home away from home" for you and your family.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
adamtraci
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I would say the Contemporary is very appealing for little kids because they have a very good arcade on the 4th floor, Chef Mickey's and right now they are adding a kids splash play area by the swimming pool. So when you factor in all of that, it's location and everything being inside the Tower you can't beat what the Contemporary has to offer.

Finally here is a link to the Contemporary FAQ thread so you can read more about it.

thanks. I'll read about it now. Didn't realize they had a beach too. Only ever read about the Poly having a beach.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks. I'll read about it now. Didn't realize they had a beach too. Only ever read about the Poly having a beach.
You're welcome and I believe the Contemporary beach is bigger then the Polynesian beach.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK thanks.

While CR is convenient for walking distance to MK, it is very sterile and hotel-like in its decor. My kids were at Poly when they were 5 and almost 3 and they loved it. They loved the lobby, volcano pool with zero entry, beach, boat to MK, monorail. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
You know you can't swim off that beach correct? You can play in the sand, but not go in the water. GF also has a beach area to play in the sand.

WL is also pretty nice. Rooms would be smaller than CR, but theming is really cool. And you are just a boat ride away from the MK. And it also has a sandy beach for playing.

Since one of your children will be under the age of three when you arrive, you are really considered a family of four (two adults and two children) plus one under the age of three. So you can stay at any resort that has an occupancy of four per room.

We stayed at the Polynesian on our first trip (our son was 4 and we brought his two cousins along - 9 and 11). He was in utter heaven in the pool (and it wasn't the cool theming they have now). It probably wouldn't have mattered which pool he was in. He just loved the pool. It was convenient to be able to head back to the room for an afternoon nap break/swim break every day, which we did, no matter what park we visited.

CR had the largest room (our room at the Polynesian was big, but not as big) and the GF had the smallest rooms of the three monorail resorts.

CR Tower rooms will require you use elevators unless you stay in the wing rooms (we stayed there and loved them). GF and Polynesian will be limited to three floors, so you can use the stairs if you choose. If you are lugging a stroller, you'll want to use that elevator.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: