Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Hoorah!!! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Your pics look great. I want one of those gorilla thingies. I just showed my DH your pic of it, and he said he saw them in one of the flight magazines. Where did you get yours from?
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #32
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I got mine from Kodak online. Being the good Rochestarian that I am
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Wow, you go on vacation, and look what happens! New posts are up on all of my subbed threads and I have soooo much catching up to do! I started with yours, glad to see that you were able to add your brother with no problems. Also, your pics of the Erie Canal are beautiful!

Were you able to sneak down to DL? I totally understand the wine factor, however. It's hard to resist DL, though!
shebaxric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #34
lizet313
A dream is a wish your HEART makes!

I am so happy for you
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #35
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaxric View Post
Wow, you go on vacation, and look what happens! New posts are up on all of my subbed threads and I have soooo much catching up to do! I started with yours, glad to see that you were able to add your brother with no problems. Also, your pics of the Erie Canal are beautiful!

Were you able to sneak down to DL? I totally understand the wine factor, however. It's hard to resist DL, though!
Where'd you go?

I wasn't able to sneak down. Dad had the keys to the rental, apparently they weren't up for spending 8 hours in the car when we already had "plans"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizet313 View Post

I am so happy for you
I'm happy for me too. What a coincidence!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Where'd you go?
We went to the Outer Banks, NC. The weather cooperated most of the time, and it was just a really relaxing time. Not one of those vacations where you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation!

Did you enjoy Wine Country? I lived in CA most of my life and never got up past Santa Barbara. Someday I'll get up there.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #37
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Thought I'd post some pictures from my trip last week.

We started in Chicago...
The "bean"

Us "in" the bean...it's like where's Waldo!

More of Millenium Park:

From dinner at Fugo de Chao (my bf teased me, "you should do a 'Dis-style' dining report on this.") It was an awesome meal!

Onto California...San Francisco:

(Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world!)

Off to Monterey!

And Pebble Beach...
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #38
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

And some of my favorites from the wineries...I took entirely too many photos those days...think it was the wine??

Chatau St Jean:

Passalacqua:

Lambert Bridge:

Mondavi:

Domaine Carneros:

Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #39
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Great Pictures!!! It looks like you had a great time on your mini vacation. You should totally do a DR on the restaurant you went to! It will prep you for your upcoming trip!

Okay, now I really want to go to Wine Country!!! My DH probably would think it's boring, so I need to plan a trip with my cousin who lives in San Diego. Does it cost to get into the wineries, like admission?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #40
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We went to the Outer Banks, NC. The weather cooperated most of the time, and it was just a really relaxing time. Not one of those vacations where you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation!

Did you enjoy Wine Country? I lived in CA most of my life and never got up past Santa Barbara. Someday I'll get up there.
Work was getting pretty stressful for me, so I was totally ready for the vacation! I work in foodservice, so needless to say, the economy is making us suffer (I'm doing fine, but not everyone is, so people are doing this: ) And I had it. So I was ready to get away!!

I live in NY wine country, so it was interesting going to CA wine country, which is much more well known the US (mainly because they can ship their wines outside of the state! ) I liked seeing the differences between the two areas, because although some wines are grown in both areas, the way they're grown is drastically different. Though some people when they asked where I was from and I said Rochester, NY proceeded to inform me on how CA wines were soooo much better than NY wines, and that irritated me. Any good wine guru will tell you that no wine is better than another, it's all based on someone's preference. Stepping off my soap box now... But I did sign up for a wine club and sent some wine home. From you know, non-snooty people I'd definitely go back at some point...ya know after I get to DL!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #41
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great Pictures!!! It looks like you had a great time on your mini vacation. You should totally do a DR on the restaurant you went to! It will prep you for your upcoming trip!

Okay, now I really want to go to Wine Country!!! My DH probably would think it's boring, so I need to plan a trip with my cousin who lives in San Diego. Does it cost to get into the wineries, like admission?
Most cost for the tasting around $10, 15, or 20. Since there were 4 of us (Mom, Dad, brother, & me) we usually split 2 and that was fine...also helps with pacing yourself!

My Mom kept laughing at me because I was balking at the prices. Here in NY it's like $5 tasting or $5 for tour + tasting. If you wanted tour + tasting at some places it was closer to $40. Ridic. Then again, we don't really have $90 bottles of wine that you get to taste

We did a wine tasting class at Mondavi that I think is a great way to start. I've done them before up here at the New York Wine and Culinary Center in Canandaigua (awesome facility, highly recommend it if you're up in this area!) But I had to laugh at my Dad & brother. We did this the second day and all of a sudden they were swirling their wine, checking the color, etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #42
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Alright. I've managed to avoid it long enough, but I'm starting to twitch. It's time to plan.

Magic Kingdom
Aug 1...9-10
Aug 2...9-10+EMH
Aug 3...9-10
Epcot
Aug 1...9-9
Aug 2...EMH+9-9
Aug 3...9-9
Hollywood Studios
Aug 1...9-7
Aug 2...9-9
Aug 3...EMH+9-7
Animal Kingdom
Aug 1...EMH+9-7
Aug 2...9-7
Aug 3...9-7+EMH

I should get to the hotel around 10:30am on the 1st. My original plan was to head right over to AK, then after lunch-ish go to Epcot. On the 2nd get to MK at rope drop, then head back to the hotel for some R&R, then EMH at MK. Last day on the 3rd go to HS, do morning EMH for TSM...

But now looking at it...Aug 1 has morning EMH for AK. So that day may not be the best to get there. AK is my least favorite park, we were doing it so that we could eat at Y&Y CS. I'm afraid that I'll tire myself out if I stay up late at the MK and then immediately get up and try and do HS...grrrr I need some more time!

What do you guys think?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #43
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

New plan!

Ok...because I'm not totally crazy, I think I've come up with a new plan...

Day 1: Flight lands, check bag coming down so all I have is my purse that I'll take into Disney with me...survive on trip down solely on IPod, sleep, and In-Flight TV ( Jet Blue!!) Think I can manage. If all goes according to plan, my flight gets in at 9:39am. I can hopefully get right on a Magical Express. Since I won't have to wait for my carry-on underneath, I can go right to check-in and beat everyone there (I'm a little sneaky )

After check-in, I'll head to HS. I should hopefully get there around 11am. I'm hoping since the park closes at 7 that night and there's no Fantasmic, it won't be as crowded...so I might have a shot at a TSM fastpass for later. If I don't, no biggie, I can grab a FP for ToT and hop in single rider at RnR. I mean, I wanted to get here early to do TSM, but I've done it before, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I missed it...and I'm prone to migraines if I don't get enough sleep and to be honest, it's not worth risking a migraine, right? I'll survive. What I really want to see here is some more streetmosphere. We watched some while waiting for the Block Party Bash in February (which I can skip this time ) and it cracked me up. I want more! When I'm tired there, I'll head to Epcot. That's an easy Park Hop too. We spent my Birthday at Epcot and hit all the big rides. So if I miss Soarin', I'll live. Test Track we can hit single rider if we want. But the big thing with Epcot is that my baby brother, my little brother (who YES is now taller than me! ) can now drink in Epcot! I need to show him the ropes. So we definitely want to spend an evening there.

If I'm up for it, we have 3 evening options:
1) Beaches & Cream and get some ice cream...I've never been here and I'm dying to go!!!
2) JellyRolls...I went in February and loved it. The only thing is that I'm not sure I'll make it. My flight leaves at 7am, which means I have a very early wake up call!!
3) Grab a drink at the Coronado lounge. Then I go back and crash while my brother stays behind (Voted most likely to happen by a jury of my peers.)

Day 2: ...yeah yeah, I'm just "starting" to plan... This day is totally earmarked for the Magic Kingdom. I'm convinced!

I really want to hit rope drop. I love the opening ceremony they have! (Otherwise I'd do the smart thing and hit HS this morning and get my ride on TSM!) Spend until lunchtime or so bopping around the MK. Then either head back to the hotel or head over to the Poly to take out one of the Sprites (do they still call them Sprites??) Part of our package includes an extra half hour for water activities, so that might be fun. Or drive over to play Mini Golf, since that's free (I'm all about free! ) Then back to the hotel for a rest. Take a nap. I told my brother that on this night the MK had EMH and he didn't know what that meant! He's a Disney fanatic, so I'm not sure how he let that slide So I told him it meant that it's open to resort guests for 3 hours after it actually "closes" so we can be there until 1am. He was like "Magic Kingdom at 1am!" And got excited. So that's set in stone. That, is not changing.

Day 3: Roll out of bed when we can. Animal Kingdom. Mainly for the Egg rolls at Y&Y! Then my dilemma was that my favorite parade is at the AK. My flight leaves at 6:30. Hmmmm...what to do! Then I realized that on the way back, I could totally carry on my bag! That means I don't have to get to the airport as early. But it does mean that as soon as that parade is done, we need to hustle! And we need to figure out where the beginning of the parade route is

Soooooo those are the plans. What do you all think?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
teruterubouzu
DIS Veteran

It sounds fun! You have a lot packed into those days, which is exactly how I'd do it.

August 7-11, 2009 - Went back for a long weekend with my brother to relive old family vacation memories.
May 8-11, 2009 - Long weekend at Coronado Springs

August 2008 Trip Report: Disneyfied! Two sisters return to Walt Disney World after 21 years. (apologies for abandoning this)
teruterubouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #45
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruterubouzu View Post
It sounds fun! You have a lot packed into those days, which is exactly how I'd do it.
I have three days. Sleep is for the weak. (Which I apparently am because I rearranged my days so I could get more!!)

What I really want to do in each Park:

Hollywood Studios:
  • Streetmosphere
  • Great Movie Ride (See if I can NOT get the Bank Robber this time! )
  • Annimation Class

Epcot:
  • Tasty Beverages
  • Spaceship Earth in French
  • Journey Into Imagination

Magic Kingdom:
  • Rope Drop!
  • EMH

Animal Kingdom:
  • Yak & Yeti CS
  • Jammin Jungle Parade

I think I can accomplish that in three days! Totally doable!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: