Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #1876
ammag
DIS Veteran

H guys! I have CFS and fms. Just saying hello....
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #1877
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
H guys! I have CFS and fms. Just saying hello....
WELCOME!!!

Oh that's no fun! CFS AND FMS?! My FMS makes me tired enough So sorry. What do you do to treat it? I wouldn't be able to survive the day without caffeine. I used to be falling on my face I would get so tired throughout the day. Then I went to the dark side and started drinking coffee. Haha.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #1878
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Hi, everyone. I just started venturing to this part of the board. i was dx'd with fibro 12 years ago after a nasty bout with viral meningitis. We tried the meds approved for fibro, but they actually made me extremely depressed. Mostly, I take aleve and/or norco and muscle relaxers as needed. It's worse when it rains or is cold so I tend to take more then. I have tried acupuncture and it did help. My only issue was that the only ones I trusted were 60 miles away and had normal office hours so it was difficult getting there. They are Chinese brothers who are 4th generation acupuncturists. I don't go to a chiro because I broke c1 & c2 4 years ago and am terrified of anyone getting near my neck like that. I broke 10 ribs at the same time so even the thought of a manual adjustment on it scares me even though that is psychological.

I am happy to see this thread. I actually found it because I was looking for information about WDW and lupus issues. I was dx'd with it a week ago. So, now my issues are chronic migraines, hashimotos, fibro, and lupus. Somehow, I think they must all be tied together.

I want to be employed. It's what I am used to. I was laid off a month ago, which due to this lupus flare, actually turned out not to necessarily be a bad thing as the pain and fatigue are pretty bad right now. However, I am concerned about the future. DH has always encouraged me to do whichever I felt I could handle. Now, I'm seriously wondering if disability is the option I need to file for. I'm not even sure I can qualify. I was admitted to the hospital for a migraine that we couldn't stop. After that 6 day visit, the insurance nurse called to check on me and asked then if I had considered LTD. I thought it was too early to think about it, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, that is my story and a way of saying, "Hi"!
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1879
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Just checking in.

WELCOME to the new people, we're glad that you are here.

I've had a pretty bad week; lots of stuff going on. I'll write more when I can.

Love ya all!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #1880
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Welcome to everyone~~~

Hugs to everyone.. SeaSpray I hope you are ok
Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1881
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

I'll be traveling with my 70 year old mother. If rented a scooter for her due to knee replacement surgery and most recent back surgery. She has also had fibromyalgia for about three years which she takes medication for but does not always work. Her major complaint is both arms and shoulders which leaves her not being able to raise them up too far so not sure if the scooters have adjustable hand grips. What I need to ask is whould she be able to have a gac or not. We never got one for her when she had her two surgerys but with her fibromyalgia not even sure if the scooter is going to be a problem.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #1882
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Just checking in.

WELCOME to the new people, we're glad that you are here.

I've had a pretty bad week; lots of stuff going on. I'll write more when I can.

Love ya all!
Sorry you have had a bad week. Hope your next one will be better!

This first month back to work has been awful! So stressful. We have a new director who is in WAY over her head and is trying to change things "for the better" but she is just pissing everybody off. UGH!!!

My anxiety has gotten worse and I have actually been having anxiety attacks. No fun! Decided I needed a personal day on Monday and went to Disneyland. It was my first time back since January and we had so much fun even though the heat was INSANE!!! But unfortunately even the magic of Disney was not enough to overpower the madness that has become work

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Much love and many gentle hugs!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #1883
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

Always nice starting the week off getting yelled out because I don't look disabled. Seriously. I had a woman yell at me for parking in a handicap spot while I was picking up my lunch even though I have handicap plates.

It made me so mad! She was actually yelling at me for NOT looking handicapped! I came up with some very snippy remarks in my head but of course could not use the as you never know who knows who in a district so in the most neutral voice I could muster I told her it really wasn't any of her business but I had plates in my name and told her she should look up invisible disabilities. She of course rolled her eyes at this and just kept yelling that I didn't look handicapped. Really wanted to hit her car with my cane but considering it was an $80 custom cut one, didn't really want to waste it on her. Lol.

BTW, who in their right mind would spend that much on a cane if they didn't need it. I never would have looked twice at them. Lol. But its beautiful and you can tell it's custom. Didn't use it to pick up my lunch but still. Lol.

Okay... I think my vent is over. Thanks ladies! Lol.

Much love and many painfree hugs to all!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #1884
mommasita

DISboards Moderator

People can be so ignorant.. I'm sorry that happened to you.. You can't change those who have these preconceived notions.. Good for you for speaking up..

Hoping for some easier days
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1885
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Hi everyone.

I'm still having a rough time, all around. I'm thinking about all of you and hope you're all doing ok.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #1886
onnawufei
The Girl With the Ninja Turtle Tattoo

Hi all! I think this is the third year in a row that I've introduced myself, because I have no attention span and forget to come by this way. Sorry!

I have fibro and something is going on with my knees that I can't say I'm a fan of. I know I'm getting arthritis in one and it hurts like crazy so I have to wear a brace whenever I do a lot of moving around. I'm going to the doctor on Friday for a follow up on that knee and so he can look at the other one. It doesn't hurt right now, but I have a feeling it's getting arthritis too. Otherwise I suppose it'd feel left out.

Every year before our Disney trip I start to worry that my fibro is going to get in the way and stop us from having fun. It never really does, it only tweaks things a little. The worst that's happened so far is last year I woke up in so much pain I didn't think I could even move without crying. But after taking some meds, laying on my acupressure mat and taking a nap I felt a lot better. This year I'm definitely worried about the knee(s?) though.

At least my brace is kind of cool looking.
Vacationed at POFQ October 2010
Vacationed at POFQ December 2011
Vacationed at POR October 2012
Vacationing at POR October 2013

I have a camera, and I know how to use it! ... Usually.

My WDW Flickr Collection
onnawufei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #1887
mommasita

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnawufei View Post
Hi all! I think this is the third year in a row that I've introduced myself, because I have no attention span and forget to come by this way. Sorry!

I have fibro and something is going on with my knees that I can't say I'm a fan of. I know I'm getting arthritis in one and it hurts like crazy so I have to wear a brace whenever I do a lot of moving around. I'm going to the doctor on Friday for a follow up on that knee and so he can look at the other one. It doesn't hurt right now, but I have a feeling it's getting arthritis too. Otherwise I suppose it'd feel left out.

Every year before our Disney trip I start to worry that my fibro is going to get in the way and stop us from having fun. It never really does, it only tweaks things a little. The worst that's happened so far is last year I woke up in so much pain I didn't think I could even move without crying. But after taking some meds, laying on my acupressure mat and taking a nap I felt a lot better. This year I'm definitely worried about the knee(s?) though.

At least my brace is kind of cool looking.

HI!! I forget EVERYTHING.. No worries here, I think we all have this memory fog..

I hear you on the arthritis, it sucks, and before every vacation I worry as well. I am not sure what it is, maybe the heat? But I seem to feel better away..

That mat sounds neat? How does it work..

SeaSPray and everyone

I see my Dr Monday, and am anxious. FINALLY see a surgeon Oct 17 for my torn rotator cuff, and I am almost sure the other side is gone. My Rheumy on Monday I am looking forward as I mentioned.. Lately my legs just give out? I walk, and they like bend and lock.. Hard to explain.. My left side is actually bruised all the way down, and I wonder if it is at all possible that the locking caused it? I dunno.. I shall ask..

Having the same issues with my Mother, but told my stepfather I would not let her die at home this way.. I am going to get involved and do something, I love her enough to care..'
Well, off to bed.. hugs all
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #1888
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

I thought I'd poke my head in here and ask for some advice.

Early this summer, my doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. We've spent a year working on the symptoms, and I'm generally in what seems like the "sweet spot" of symptoms vs side effects.

For the last week or so, I've been having sleep problems, first problems falling asleep, but now mostly frequent and extended night wakings. My muscle pain and the tingle/fuzzy sensation that I call "noise on the lines" has been worse lately, and I think that's waking me up, then broken sleep makes the neuro symptoms worse. I've tried sedating antihistamines (prescription and non) with minimal effect. Ambien leaves me more out of things the next day than lack of sleep.

I'm pretty sure that I just need to break the self-reinforcing cycle, and then my usual routines will work again. In the past, I've used xanax or percocet for this, but xanax doesn't mix well with the antidepressant that controls the "noise" and percocet makes my GI symptoms worse.

Any suggestions for better alternatives?
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #1889
mommasita

DISboards Moderator

HI.. I can relate to those symptoms soooo well.. Sorry to hear.. I take ativan every here and there. I would make an appointment with my Dr to discuss what may work best for you?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #1890
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Yeah, there will be a doctor involved if I need a prescription. She's the one who's prescribed my giant lego box of pills, and suggested I try ambien. I really find that I get more sustainable benefits from lifestyle changes, and she's not as good at that as she is at medicating symptoms.

Typing that out has me wondering if the increase in symptoms has made me get less incidental exercise - I'm still going to my classes, but I might be walking and moving less without really thinking about it. It decreases pain in the short term, but means I tend to have more symptoms the next day...
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: