Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #136
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
Can you imagine pain free? The thought boggles my mind, sometimes.

At this point, I cannot really imagine pain free.

How is the elliptiptical going? After all of that moving, have you been able to try it?

After everything I did, all that was accomplished was getting all the pieces upstairs. I had a friend help me pick up the box. There was one very heavy piece and my DS helped me carry it up. It was very very heavy. I think this is what contributed to my pain as well. So it is not together yet. hopefully in the next few days. But first I have a paper to write once I get better.

We are refinancing, and have been doing all of the stuff that should have been done. I swear this weekend I would bend over and then spend 5 minutes trying to figure out how to stand back up!

I know exactly how that feels. I can barely wallk around my house. Let alone up/down the stairs to use the washroom. I think I am staying in bed with the heating pad.

brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #137
cosine4
Mouseketeer

I just started Cymbalta, I am still on the 1st step (30 mg). Could be a huge coincidence but so far it has been working pretty good!
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #138
TinkerBean
Earning My Ears and Losing My Mind
That Shucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine4 View Post
I just started Cymbalta, I am still on the 1st step (30 mg). Could be a huge coincidence but so far it has been working pretty good!
I'm also on cymbalta (I'm up to 120mg) and I really found that it has helped with daily living...

Guess I should introduce myself.

I am a 43 year old stay at home mom to 2 kids. I was diagnosed with fibro 3 years ago after I suffered a particularly bad flare. I have been struggling with it ever since. My mom was a long time sufferer and I eventually lost her to suicide 6 years ago. It's hard knowing that I have the disease that so plagued my mom.

I had tarsal tunnel surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago (think carpal tunnel - but in the ankle) and today is the first day that I am up, dressed and made up. My poor husband has had to do *everything* and I mean everything for me. Even having to come home just to meet ds12 to get him off the bus.

I think it takes me much longer to recover (this was general anestetic) from even simple proceedures. I am not used to being this tired, the fatigue is overwhelming. I used to be *very* active and was a go, go, go type of person. You know, "Hey - I think I'll re-landscape the whole back yard" in a day kind of person. Now I can't even get dinner on the table for my family.

I have gained about 80 pounds since my dx and am *very* frustrated with my weight loss efforts.

I am happy to have found this thread and have been lurking for some time. It's nice to have a place to post where everyone understands what you are going through.

On a more positive note I am trying to be kinder to myself and celebrating the small accomplishments. I try to do things in small chunks of time and have enlisted the help of my children, ds vacumns for me and dd9 will dust and help me tidy the house and bring stuff up and down the stairs for me (we have a 3 story house which can be challenging on some days) and dh is a sweetheart and has really stepped up to the plate these last few years. I don't know what I would be without him.

Sending everyone positive energy

Rhonda

Me DH DS 13 DD 10
Thanks Mazda
"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity” Albert Einstein
Hans Christian Anderson, David Byrne, Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Alan Turing, Andy Warhol, Bill Gates, Temple Grandin [and DS Max] are all said to have had Aspergers’ Syndrome. (wikipedia, 2007)
http://mominmedford.blogspot.com
read about the adventures of navigating the school system when you have a child with Asperger's...
TinkerBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #139
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Hey Brighteyes how you doing today? Since you love your heating pad like I do did you know that Walmart sells an extra long one that is almost the size of a body pillow. I got mine last year and I use every inch!

Cosine4 Glad to hear you have something that is working for you. That must be very encouraging!

Indiana Rose lee
I absolutely HATE all that financial stuff and the stress it causes. Don't envy you in that process. Hope all goes as you plan! I cant imagine a day without pain either. But I do fondly remember what it was like after I was headache free for the first time in 2 years. I danced around my living room and felt like I was flying. I think it would be like that for a day or two! At least my headaches now may last several days but not several years!!! That was really awful

Welcome Tinkerbean!!!!

Looks like you and I are in the same place in our live re age/kids/dh and fibro. Your kids are just a little older than mine. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. That must have been so hard for you.

Sending pain free vibes and pixie dust to all

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #140
tiggspring

Hey ireland nicole just noticed your DS and DD are close in age to mine too. How long have we both been posting on this thread an I just noticed that?..Real case of DUHHHH!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #141
tiggspring

Warning this is a little long even for me.

Since we have all been dealing with flares for one reason or another I was wondering what tricks everyone has come up to make life easier. He is a list of some of the things I do:

I have a pair of "grippers" on every floor of my house so I can pick up and reach things without killing myself.

DH bought me a hot wax treatment set up so I can warm up my hands and feet

I used to do 30 day gourmet freezer meals with a friend. Every month we would switch off cooking multiple chicken or beef meal then freeze them . once we swapped we would have 16 to 20 meals put up in our freezers for days when we couldn't cook. I buy 20 lbs of chicken or beef on BOGO and save a ton on groceries too. I was able to do this alone last Sept and didn't worry about cooking till DEC. I find this very hard to do alone though.

Did you know that you can cook a whole frozen chicken and it comes out perfect? I had to do this with a turkey one thanksgiving one year when the turkey didn't unthaw and found out from butter ball you can cook it frozen. this is great when I cant cook but have plenty of time at home to cook the chicken. I always use a meat thermometer when I do this.

I bet most of you use crock pots

This past spring we bought my brain..oh I mean phone. DH and I both have blackberries and have the calendar set up so he can send me his appointments and I can do the same. each appointment has an alarm so I don"t forget....sometime still do LOL Also this year I use the kitchen timer and phone alarm clock to remember to get the Kids etc. I get a little lost with time and If something distracts me well I might not meet the bus which for the next five years I have to meet at 6:45am, 8:30am 3pm and 4:15pm. Our bus stop in 1 1/2 miles away and it all wooded and we have a bear! The bus co. thinks my kids should walk even in the winter. I think they are NUTS!!! DH does first trip most days thank God!!

I have a basket that fits on my stairs that I'm supposed to use to bring things up and down. Thing is I always overfill it then leave it there..

I found these great socks at JC Penney that have arch support built in which feel really good on my feet. they were in the men's dept. When my feet really hurt those crazy colored, shaggy type socks that are in the Jr section are warm and really lite.

Just started puting my vitamins in little bags. sort them out in muffin tins and then use the tin liner to just slide the pills in the bags. I tried to use those pill containers but many of the pills would absorb humidity. I never can consitanty do these pills week to week. heres hoping this helps us stay on track with suppliments! Why didnt I think of that before?

I have 3 slaves...ah Kids DD fold laundry, DS puts away dishes and DD picks up shoes and things on the floor since she is still short!! Did I really admit to this?

I used to have a Nanny when I could afford it. She would watch the kids and do dishes, fold laundry and anything else she could fit in while I slept upstairs. She is a good family friend now. We have tried several times in the last year or so to replace her but nobody wants to work. My DD 10 does a better job with the laundry and DS does better job putting away dishes. I don't expect perfection just adequate.

Any other ideas everyone?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #142
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
Hey Brighteyes how you doing today? Since you love your heating pad like I do did you know that Walmart sells an extra long one that is almost the size of a body pillow. I got mine last year and I use every inch!

Cosine4 Glad to hear you have something that is working for you. That must be very encouraging!

Indiana Rose lee
I absolutely HATE all that financial stuff and the stress it causes. Don't envy you in that process. Hope all goes as you plan! I cant imagine a day without pain either. But I do fondly remember what it was like after I was headache free for the first time in 2 years. I danced around my living room and felt like I was flying. I think it would be like that for a day or two! At least my headaches now may last several days but not several years!!! That was really awful

Welcome Tinkerbean!!!!

Looks like you and I are in the same place in our live re age/kids/dh and fibro. Your kids are just a little older than mine. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. That must have been so hard for you.

OMG!!! Really????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: banana: Before I get too happy I should check my Walmart. I am in Canada! We might not have it here. I will check right after school tomorrow. I was just telling my friend that they need to invent a body sized electric heating pad!!

I am feeling better now, can move and walk without it being excruciating. I missed two days of my school placement. I knew I would probably be sorting and folding big bins of donated clothing so I knew there was no way I could handle that.

Welcome everyone!!!

Now I have to work on a paper I have due in two days.

Night all. Have the best day you can!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #143
tiggspring

Talking

Bright eyes your responce to the heating pad made me

Just did a quick check for you online. If you go to walmart site or amazon you can buy them for $19- $25 us dollars which should be a discount to you with our economy! They are called King size and are about 24 inches long. I typed in extra large and found them. ENJOY!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #144
tiggspring

Be carful just noticed some are only 18 inches long not 24.Some smaller ones have massage.MMMMMM

Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #145
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
Be carful just noticed some are only 18 inches long not 24.Some smaller ones have massage.MMMMMM

Awwww...darnit!!!!!!!!! After thinking about it all day at school, and running my errands after school and rushing to get home to re-start my paper for the third time so I can finish it tonight I TOTALLY FORGOT!

Well maybe if I have a good portion of it done early enough I will sneak out. I am pretty tired though, so first I will need a nap. My eyes are shutting as I type!!

I also wanted to see if they have any good food scales there, otherwise I may just order them both of amazon. Would I have to pay duty on that,and would it be a lot??

I am trying to decide between the Biggest Loser scale or a WeightWatchers scale. HA can you tell I am on a health kick?

Just pray for me please that this lasts until at least I get my elliptical put together.

Have a good day all.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #146
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Popped in to moan and groan. It's rained and rained and rained and I HURT. I've been so lucky the past five months and now UGH! I've had two social events in the last five days( and did I mention nonstop rain?) I've overdone it and I'm exhausted. It stinks.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #147
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Popped in to moan and groan. It's rained and rained and rained and I HURT. I've been so lucky the past five months and now UGH! I've had two social events in the last five days( and did I mention nonstop rain?) I've overdone it and I'm exhausted. It stinks.
I really hope you feel better. I know how it sucks. I just came out of a three day painful flare. Rest up if you can, and know that we are all sending pixie dust. (or LOTS of meds, if that doesn't work)
Rain does seem to have an effect on me too, does it for anyone else??

Take care, and get better sooon.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #148
tiggspring

TLSnell1981

I dont know where you live but I'm with you. Had a good day until about 3pm it went from about 60% humidity to 97 right now!!! add to it that my super smart son came home with a 57 and my little one some point over the week emptied her ballet bag so we coulnd find her shoes until her class was over and this eve just.... I'd do anything to get out of my skin if you know what I mean. ...Well feel a little better getting it out.

Hang in there TLSnell1981

Sending pain free vibes and pixie dust to all!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #149
brighteyes
DIS Veteran

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I may be a LITTLE bit overexcited, I just completed my first paper of the year. It was an easy one, but I did start it over three times. But I only checked it three times. I have a little OCD when it comes to papers. I procrastinate, (which I did this time too. ) but I only checked it three times and I am leaving it. That is a record for me. HA HA

I hope I get a good mark. It is a little longer - but oh well. This is big for me - usually I leave it so last minute I am really up all night, or am checking it for hours and hours. This time I am not, in an effort not be OCD about my marks. So pray it works out for me.

Have the best day you can.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #150
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Yeah on the first paper! What are you studying?
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: