Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Hi Kat! I am finally here!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #47
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

HI Lessa! Thanks for coming by!

Got any universal knowledge for me??

My Disney Princess, Lily

Mission:Visit Disney Once a Month for a Year. A Florida Newbie's Tales.

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #48
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGarcia View Post
HI Lessa! Thanks for coming by!

Got any universal knowledge for me??
Sorry not much, just that I want to stay at the Portofino.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #49
debraW76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I was doing a little Universal research today....

Then it occurred to me, we will prob have 7 of us...where the heck can we stay??? I was only planning on 2 days at US, but where will we all fit? Would we need 2 rooms? Is that cheaper?

After looking at pictures, Portifino bay looks like a gorgeous hotel! BUT the doubletree is cheaper. Anyone stayed at either? I need some reviews!!'

I will check out to US boards eventually but I wondered if any of you could help.

Then there is also the matter of food at US...where the heck can we eat??
That is the same problem we have. I really like the front of the line passes you get for staying onsite but we would have to book two rooms. They do offer suites but it is still cheaper to book two regular rooms. This is why we have been staying in condos offsite. But when DH and I go in September we are livin it up a little at the HRH!!! We got a supersaver rate which averaged around $170/night!!

I forgot when your dates are but if it is crowded then the extra money may be worth the price of staying onsite just for the FOTL access. If crowds are down then it may not matter.

I haven't stayed at doubletree so I can't offer any advice there.

As far as food... They have a large selection at citywalk. Better than what is in the parks in my opinion. We have eaten at the Nascar Cafe (Omicron is a race fan). The food was good but you really go for the atmosphere. We've gotten a drink at Margaritaville but didn't try the food.

Do you have an Entertainment coupon book? They offer lots of deals at Citywalk restaurants. Most places also accept AAA for a discount.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #50
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Talking I'm here!

I'm here! I'm here!

What took me so long, I have no idea!

I'm sorry about your kitty. My cat is named Prozac (trust me, it fits her) and she is now 16 years old. She has outstayed & outlived all of our other pets and she is Queen of the House. I wuv her.

I understand about the trip planning. It's only been this year that I've been a little obessive (I'm a late bloomer) and with 2 trips behind me already, I want more! LOL!! I already have a list of things I would like to do, but I'll be much more relaxed about it.

I go down to FL sort of alot since my mother's family is there and my goddaughter is there, but I've never went for Disney on my previous trips (I really don't know why *scratches head*), so now I have to figure out how to incorporate it in.

You can find decent reviews of hotels at tripadvisor.com too. I usually use that site as a base for planning trips (hence the name, eh? ).

I loved POFQ when I was there in March. POR didn't exactly thrill me, but we really didn't get much of a chance to explore the place. I was just thankful we didn't have any bus issues. I have never stayed on-site before other than this year, so I don't have any other experience to help you with.
A friend of mine's mother (quite a stretch I know) bought into DVC last year and they stayed at Saratoga Springs (I think) last December and they seemed to really like it. I think this December they are staying at Bay Lake. I might have to stowaway.

I've been to Universal on previous FL trip, but never stayed on-site. I went basically for the Simpsons ride (went on it 3x!!). When Harry Potter is finished, I'm sure attendance is just going to sky-rocket into gods-knows-what. It's going to give Disney a real run. If staying on-site gives you front of the line passes, I would definitely stay on-site!!

I love your pictures too. I rarely go anywhere without my camera either.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #51
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here!! As far as the US hotels, I like the Hard rock the best, it is just so nice and has some really cool features! You can walk to US (think beach club to epcot) or the portofino hotel for dinner. The pool is awesome, it has an underwater sound system so if you swim underwater you can hear music!

Next Trip: October 3, 2014!
Universal's Hard Rock Hotel, & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #52
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Sorry not much, just that I want to stay at the Portofino.
Yea just by pictures I like Protifino the best. Who Knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraW76 View Post
That is the same problem we have. I really like the front of the line passes you get for staying onsite but we would have to book two rooms. They do offer suites but it is still cheaper to book two regular rooms. This is why we have been staying in condos offsite. But when DH and I go in September we are livin it up a little at the HRH!!! We got a supersaver rate which averaged around $170/night!!

I forgot when your dates are but if it is crowded then the extra money may be worth the price of staying onsite just for the FOTL access. If crowds are down then it may not matter.

I haven't stayed at doubletree so I can't offer any advice there.

As far as food... They have a large selection at citywalk. Better than what is in the parks in my opinion. We have eaten at the Nascar Cafe (Omicron is a race fan). The food was good but you really go for the atmosphere. We've gotten a drink at Margaritaville but didn't try the food.

Do you have an Entertainment coupon book? They offer lots of deals at Citywalk restaurants. Most places also accept AAA for a discount.
So where did you get the cheap rate from?? Any clue if you book through expedia or anything if they still give you FOTL passes??? I figure we need the passes because when we go Harry Potter stuff should be crowded and I don't do lines. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
I'm here! I'm here!

What took me so long, I have no idea!

I'm sorry about your kitty. My cat is named Prozac (trust me, it fits her) and she is now 16 years old. She has outstayed & outlived all of our other pets and she is Queen of the House. I wuv her.

I understand about the trip planning. It's only been this year that I've been a little obessive (I'm a late bloomer) and with 2 trips behind me already, I want more! LOL!! I already have a list of things I would like to do, but I'll be much more relaxed about it.

I go down to FL sort of alot since my mother's family is there and my goddaughter is there, but I've never went for Disney on my previous trips (I really don't know why *scratches head*), so now I have to figure out how to incorporate it in.

You can find decent reviews of hotels at tripadvisor.com too. I usually use that site as a base for planning trips (hence the name, eh? ).

I loved POFQ when I was there in March. POR didn't exactly thrill me, but we really didn't get much of a chance to explore the place. I was just thankful we didn't have any bus issues. I have never stayed on-site before other than this year, so I don't have any other experience to help you with.
A friend of mine's mother (quite a stretch I know) bought into DVC last year and they stayed at Saratoga Springs (I think) last December and they seemed to really like it. I think this December they are staying at Bay Lake. I might have to stowaway.

I've been to Universal on previous FL trip, but never stayed on-site. I went basically for the Simpsons ride (went on it 3x!!). When Harry Potter is finished, I'm sure attendance is just going to sky-rocket into gods-knows-what. It's going to give Disney a real run. If staying on-site gives you front of the line passes, I would definitely stay on-site!!

I love your pictures too. I rarely go anywhere without my camera either.
Yep I am a huge fan of Trip Advisor! I use them for everything and have done a few reviews there myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
I'm here! I'm here!! As far as the US hotels, I like the Hard rock the best, it is just so nice and has some really cool features! You can walk to US (think beach club to epcot) or the portofino hotel for dinner. The pool is awesome, it has an underwater sound system so if you swim underwater you can hear music!
We went to the HRH last time to check it out, mainly because u loived it so much and it looked cool in your pics in your TR! I am just worried about the price. We are going to be a bunch of people on a budget as best we can, so cheap is the best way to go. But those darn FOTL passes draw me in. Maybe we can set up an air mattress in one room LOL no flames please!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

Old 05-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #53
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

I'll stow away with you and you can use my resident discount! lol! Royal Pacific is the cheapest of the 3 (although not by much) i have lots of pics there i'll be posting soon on the TR. I still love the HRH! David is staying with a friend next month at the Portofino (lucky!) so he will have stayed at all 3. He still favors the HRH because of his love of rock music, but we'll see how he feels after he stays at the "Grand Floridian of Universal"

Next Trip: October 3, 2014!
Universal's Hard Rock Hotel, & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Hey Kat.
Did you ever read the Universal thread that the DIS has?
I maybe looked once or twice.

I have a feeling the resorts over at Universal are going to raise their rates with the Harry Potter ride opening. You may be better off, staying somewhere else. A taxi ride from WDW to Universal will run around $25. And it can drop you off at the entrance, you don't have to go through the parking structure.

If you want front of the line passes, budget $35 a piece.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #55
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I think you can arrange for a mears shuttle that will pick you up at Disney (not sure if it's at the resort or not) and I think it is like $20 round trip.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #56
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
I'll stow away with you and you can use my resident discount! lol! Royal Pacific is the cheapest of the 3 (although not by much) i have lots of pics there i'll be posting soon on the TR. I still love the HRH! David is staying with a friend next month at the Portofino (lucky!) so he will have stayed at all 3. He still favors the HRH because of his love of rock music, but we'll see how he feels after he stays at the "Grand Floridian of Universal"
Ya know I actually forgot that my friend in tampa can use the resident discount too! She will def be in WDW with us so now I have to convince her to come to US with us. But of course you are welcome to come too!!!! And David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Hey Kat.

I have a feeling the resorts over at Universal are going to raise their rates with the Harry Potter ride opening. You may be better off, staying somewhere else. A taxi ride from WDW to Universal will run around $25. And it can drop you off at the entrance, you don't have to go through the parking structure.

Yea I have to scour the boards for more US stuff. I am thinking more and more that we may stay at the doubletree since it's walking distance. I dunno. I have to bounce the idea of my peoples too, see what they say. Since our last trip we did more around Orlando so I am less nervous of having to stay anywhere "on property" be it US or WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I think you can arrange for a mears shuttle that will pick you up at Disney (not sure if it's at the resort or not) and I think it is like $20 round trip.
thats def something to remember!!!! Thanks!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #57
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

So the more I mention and hint at a Disney trip, the less I think it will actually happen. I mentioned to DH about doing the universal research...not much reaction.

So I may be changing up thew whole shebang! We have plans for Sept of this year, our friends from Fl are coming up here. Then in march of 2010 DH is going to Pax East (a gaming convention thing). Also we were invited to Hawaii with a friend of ours fro April as well.

I dunno if Hawaii will happen or not, we shall see on that one., Esp. if the trip ends up in March as well. Dh will never be able to get off work that much.

So....... I am thinking of planning some solo time in WDW come March! I may spend a few days alone and then have my BFF in Florida and her daughter come up and chill with me for a few days!

I have to see what she thinks about that and mention more concrete plans to DH.

I am still hoping for a group trip to Disney/Orlando area but it may have to wait until 2011.

Stick with me tho, I still need some advice for sure!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #58
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!

What's up with that?

Hey I'll be hangin' around.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #59
debraW76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So where did you get the cheap rate from?? Any clue if you book through expedia or anything if they still give you FOTL passes??? I figure we need the passes because when we go Harry Potter stuff should be crowded and I don't do lines. lol.
It was a supersaver rate I got for booking so far in advace. Basically it was buy 3 get 2 free or something. Try the Loewes website or the mousesaver site also has great discount codes you can try
http://www.mousesavers.com/universalorlando.html#hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Hey Kat.

Like she said check out the US thread... there is a lot of information there. They have a thread for each hotel and month for people to post their rate and discount they used. It may be worth looking at. I totally understand the being on a budget thing. I had to skim our trip down drastically so that we could still go. Basically the kids get about $25 each for souvies but DH and I get a christmas ornament and that is all. I love our family but since we are so big we have to book two rooms and eating one meal is easily $150.

Quote:
So the more I mention and hint at a Disney trip, the less I think it will actually happen. I mentioned to DH about doing the universal research...not much reaction.

So I may be changing up thew whole shebang! We have plans for Sept of this year, our friends from Fl are coming up here. Then in march of 2010 DH is going to Pax East (a gaming convention thing). Also we were invited to Hawaii with a friend of ours fro April as well.

I dunno if Hawaii will happen or not, we shall see on that one., Esp. if the trip ends up in March as well. Dh will never be able to get off work that much.

So....... I am thinking of planning some solo time in WDW come March! I may spend a few days alone and then have my BFF in Florida and her daughter come up and chill with me for a few days!

I have to see what she thinks about that and mention more concrete plans to DH.

I am still hoping for a group trip to Disney/Orlando area but it may have to wait until 2011.

Stick with me tho, I still need some advice for sure!
Oh Kat. I do hope you get to go. You need a break. I hope you figure something out even if it is a solo trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: