Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #391
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Molly, you are a saint. I would have totally lost. I would have regretted it later but it would have happened. What a creep. Let the owner know what a jerk they have in their employ.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #392
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

What's crazy is that it was two separate people, and on the time I went in before, it was a third person.

If they'd start charging for hole-punching, maybe they would appreciate their customers more and stop making fun of them? After all, weight loss or gain would mean more money for them.

I have a really thin skin for teasing to begin with, and my lifelong reaction to it is to go quiet and feel hurt instead of lashing out, which is likely why I didn't flip out on them... But thin skin aside, I'm just mystified how these guys (all relatively trim) think it's even an option to make fun of a person's belt size.

Harumph.

And today Robert was told he's going to another foreign country from late Monday to Friday afternoon. Turns out...I'm not, so much, cut out for being a business traveler's wife! Whoopsie!

(but I'm good at researching, and this trip I get to book R's hotel on his business card, so we get rewards website rewards on the hotel stay, yay)

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #393
kaoden39
Hugs

Maybe, but you are a customer anyway right? Or you were. I would be the same way if Scotty were traveling like that. How nice that you are able to do the planning, that way you know everything and don't have to worry.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #394
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
That makes sense, too.

Cheryl, you're going to have to come back here to really help out with the difference between staying at the Villa vs the Hotel in a month or so!
Yes, I am looking forward to hearing about the Villas.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #395
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm having extremely conflicting thoughts of....put that last bit of severance money towards the car payment! vs dude, it's my only 40th birthday and I rarely celebrate my birthday anyway, I really ought to do it up a bit.

I mean, my good friend is planning on going to Wales for her 40th! I just wanna go to Anaheim...

I stayed up until probably 5am reading Total Money Makeover, and I know the proper answer, but it really seems that travel is important to us. It was one of the foundations of our relationship; we had both somehow dated people who didn't want to travel anywhere...maybe to Vegas but not anywhere else...we get really antsy if we don't go somewhere every so often.

Of course, now R is getting his travel bug taken care of by his job, harumph.

The what I should do is butting up against this big birthday of mine, and I'm at an impasse about it. (Oh, and Robert is on the side of Disneyland, in that they both want me to Celebrate!)

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 08-24-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: edited to add Robert's thoughts on it
Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #396
kaoden39
Hugs

I say go for it. I am going to enable and say do this for yourself. You will never have another 40th birthday. Do it up big. Enjoy yourself.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #397
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I knew that would be the answer here.

Wonder what the budget board or community board answer would be?

Or worse, the livinglikenooneelse board (dave ramsey peeps)?

Hubby is coming home early today b/c he gets to get on a plane at almost midnight tonight! Gone until evening on Friday. What on earth are E and I going to do????

Speaking of the whole Ramsey thing, I need a huge pep talk on selling stuff! Or even just donating stuff. We have SO much that needs to leave this condo, and I just get chicken or weird about it. I'm afraid of selling on ebay...I'm afraid (truly) of selling on craigslist. And the last time we tried to sell stuff at a pawnshop, after waiting half an hour, they looked at what hubby was holding and said "oh we aren't buying those". It's an all in one printer that we got from MIL after FIL died. We want to replace it with a smaller, sleeker one, so we can downsize the desk, but I REFUSE to replace until we are rid of it first. We just replaced the shredder with one that destroys cards (credit-type cards) b/c it was a bargain with a rebate, but that was against my better senses (though I've really appreciated the shredder), and the old one is still around.

But wait...the old was was also from my MIL. Maybe I should not try to make any money off of these gifts?

I also have E's clothes, I have some of our clothes that I just want to donate, etc etc, they've been in piles and stacks and bags in my closet that I should be able to walk into, but I can't walk into it b/c it's filled with bags and stacks of old clothes! Augh.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #398
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

I'm going with kaoden on this one, too. I am not much of a birthday celebrater either. My birthday is on Weds. and I am sort of ehhh about it. My hubby is funny and always remembers dates and important stuff like that and wants to pin me down on what he's making for dinner this weekend and all that - I'm still sort of ehhh.

We did go to DLR for my 40th birthday and just in July, his 50th birthday and it was a great way to celebrate a milestone. Can you feel the enabling vibes coming your way??? Now, whenever I think about being 40+ there is such a happy, sweet feeling, not any sort of stigma or oldness or anything.

I know for my hubby going to DLR for his 50th b-day was a big thing, too. We have had a lot of heartache with death and incurable cancer and close family member almost dying this summer, so going and making those great memories was a very GOOD thing for us. It helps us remember to enjoy the moments and cherish the memories that we make with each other and our families.

You could always remember Suze Orman's saying - People first, money second, things third. Maybe that will put a good spin on it for you.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #399
kaoden39
Hugs

The clothes I can be a great support on, I have hard time parting with books. I always want to reread so I don't want to part with them. Now the clothes are a good one to give away. Take them to a local church or homeless shelter. I am not Catholic but I always think to take the kids outgrown clothes to a Catholic church or any church because they will reach someone who needs them. Children's clothes are always needed somewhere.

I always feel like I don't want to part with things because they still work. I don't want to sell on ebay because I am afraid I will need then again. And as far as selling on Craigslist forget it. My husband trades and gives away things on freecycle. That scares me to death too but there has never been a bad experience here.

Sorry if I am not any help here.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #400
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ooh, more enabling.

It IS a once in a lifetime birthday, after all. And it would make my guys veyr happy, since I'm really not much of a celebrator for "my day". Not age-related, I just don't much like people singing to me, never have. We were at DL back in '06 around my b'day so I got a button, and I took it off a couple hours into the day b/c I was so bugged by all the well wishes.

And it's amazing how having a 5 year old keeps me from feeling old! Oh don't get me wrong, I can have my moments. But now we belong to the Y and I'm starting slowly to get back to exercise (better to do that for me than to blast into something then drop off when I hurt myself), and I am feeling better about that, etc. I know for sure that while I might not look as amazing as a couple of my college/HS friends who turned this age before me, I don't feel anywhere near as old as most of them did. So that's good.

For unrelated reasons I was looking up a boutique online, b/c I thought it had closed but then I saw their vehicle at the store the other day, and while looking at "street view" on googlemaps, I saw a readerboard on another business's sign...it said "sometimes a good scare is better than good advice". And wowie, isn't that the truth????? Sure matches our money experience since April 2nd!

I still can't believe we put 3K towards principal on our car loan. We could sell it right now and come out even (would get more than just even if we fixed some paint rub/scratches). It's just amazing. (considering how high the stupid interest is, and how much we've paid on it for 2 years, to JUST now get even, AFTER paying so much in principal)

I wonder if there are any Villa studios available around the time of my b'day? We're approaching the use-or-bank time, and we were going to bank the DVC points for use for a big family blow-out trip next year, with banked points, 2010 points, and borrowed points...but maybe we don't have to bank All of those points. That would eliminate the cash cost for a place to stay...

Of course there's still food to worry about! (airfare would be covered by the rest of severance)

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #401
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've been slowly selling books...some I just WANT to keep. Others there's just no point. Some I've been trying to sell, but halfprice books won't take book-club books, and a bunch of the books I "inherited" from my mom are such books, and so I still have them. gotta just donate them.

Why do I keep wanting to make a profit off of gifts/inheritances? That doesn't seem right....

hmm.

No matter what happens with the items, they MUST leave the house soon. Which means that I MUST get up off my bum soon, and get them out of the closet and into the hall where I'll trip all over them until they are gone.

Does anyone know when the electrical parade will be showing during October, if at all?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #402
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Oh, and Molly I have a difficult time getting rid of stuff too and it makes me crazy! Recently I have been sorting and stacking and now have a gigantic pile of stuff that I am having a combined rummage sale with my friend Carrie. It will all go for pennies on the dollar but at least it will go. Anything not sold will be donated at the end of the day. Nathan is so happy to have his room back in order and space to play! Yeah! And I am thrilled not to see a giant mess when I look in there. I do have to stop thinking about what I spent on stuff and just think about the value of how I will benefit when I have more space around me, and also how someone else will benefit from the stuff.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #403
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Oh Molllyyyyyy--Virgin America is having a fare sale--$69 from Seattle to OC . . . . . . . .

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #404
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh yes I do know the rate right now! It's the same base rate as to LAX, but the total is $30 pp higher to SNA, b/c of taxes/fees. Odd, eh?

I gotta call DVC in a little bit....if they don't have a Villa studio (and I can't imagine they will) then it will be make or break, b/c of course once you make a reservation for a hotel the points change, and you can't use 'em for a DVC place....yikes!

Tracey, answering you here...we'd be going either earlyish on the 10th or late on the 8th, my b'day is the Monday*, and we would go home on the 13th.

*WHOA! Even bigger celebration news, that the b'day falls on the celebration day this year! That almost never happens! (I'm sure it happens once every x years, of course, but who pays attention, right?)

Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #405
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Cheryl, would you be around at all?

Forgot to fully answer Tracey...I would be bringing the guys, alas. Well, happy for me and them, but I doubt I could squeeze you all in, especially since we'd just be going for a studio if it's available.

With all the traveling Robert's doing (he's in a different foreign country right now, we're IM'ing all about his redeye flights last night, he comes home Friday evening), and since we spent so much time away from him in June, it just feels better to bring them. PLus, I wouldn't want to see the Halloween stuff without them!

Does anyone know if they are playing the fireworks etc EVERY night in October, or only on weekends? Yeah, like any of us know that yet...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: