Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #376
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Omigosh! Poor Robert! What airline was he on (so I can avoid them)?

I can just say--from personal experience--that there are people out there who take an instant dislike to someone because they are overweight--they automatically think "fat and lazy"--the other night I was watching Bill Maher and was really peeved because one of the panel members was Ashton Kutcher (just who decided he should give opinions on national politics anyway?) who was talking about the health care reform and said that he didn't want to pay for the health care for all the people who lived unhealthy lifestyles and had to have a triple bypass because they were eating fast food all the time, etc. I got the impression that he thought anyone who was fat didn't deserve healthcare.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #377
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Omigosh! Poor Robert! What airline was he on (so I can avoid them)?

I can just say--from personal experience--that there are people out there who take an instant dislike to someone because they are overweight--they automatically think "fat and lazy"--the other night I was watching Bill Maher and was really peeved because one of the panel members was Ashton Kutcher (just who decided he should give opinions on national politics anyway?) who was talking about the health care reform and said that he didn't want to pay for the health care for all the people who lived unhealthy lifestyles and had to have a triple bypass because they were eating fast food all the time, etc. I got the impression that he thought anyone who was fat didn't deserve healthcare.
Ironic, I was left with the same opinion. And frankly Bill Maher often has people on there who I wonder why they are on there.
kaoden39 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #378
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks.

It was Jazz, which is a regional part of Air Canada. I was really shocked! But he hasn't mentioned anything about his second flight, so I assume the FA wasn't bad on that one. And it too was Jazz.

This whole pituitary thing has really been amazing. He went for decades thinking that every bit of weight that he felt was extra was his fault. And sure, there were some occasions where he went crazy with eating. But the last few years? He's been doing Weight Watchers better than many people, he walks to the lightrail to get to work, we've been active, etc. He's been careful. But there was heavy blame, because he had that background.

When we found out that it was the prolactinoma, he/we realized...it really IS a hormone problem, or a "gland" problem as I've heard people mention it. I mean, I knew from my short amount of time on Ortho TriCyclen (11 years ago, I believe) and the MASSIVE weight gain with NO extra eating that I experienced (and I've never truly lost that weight), that hormones can wreak havoc, but that was created hormones, not body-hormones. So it was really eye opening. He and I have been so judgmental about *ourselves* that sometimes it's a slippery slope.

But now when we see a man with "soft" features (as his were getting) and "moobs", etc, we want to toss him in an MRI machine to find out what's up with his pituitary. We've gone a *bit* overboard...OK, if we actually did throw people in MRI machines that would be overboard...as it is, perhaps we're just overthinking.

We're IM'ing, and he said that the second flight was much nicer, no problems. Yay.

I talked with my aunt out near Daytona today, and I'm so jealous; her daugher+family are at WDW now. Well, I guess they were coming home tonoight, but they'd been there as one last trip on their seasonal passes since thurs...bad timing, with Free Dining and all, and it being summer, but I assume they had fun! They've been there enough, they know how to have a good time when it's busy.

I also looked at flights ON my b'day, and they are reasonable. If it's only one person. And while I am a fan and supporter of solo trips, I don't really want that right now. Decisions decisions...

I just really caught what Ashton said...you know...my FIL was slim and trim. And was a serious *carnivore*. I mean, other than potatoes, I'm not sure he ate a vegetable in his life, except for at the wedding and that was only b/c we had a vegetarian reception (not painful! delicious! seriously! we didn't torture people with tofu). Steak steak and more steak in his lifetime, slim and trim, and died after a series of events that culminated in a quadruple bypass while healing from other things etc etc.

And my MIL...she was mildly overweight while in her 40s, very typical, but she too is slim and trim and so so active! She works out every day. But...blood sugar in the mid 100s despite taking metformin, she's had 2 heart attacks, cholestrol drugs...and she too eats really fatty meats etc.

So if someone just were to LOOK at them, they wouldn't have that prejudice, but you look at hubby and you might...when hubby eats a much healthier diet and had done so for quite a long time. Now for me...I'm trying to keep myself from making nachos b/c I missed dinner...at nearly 11pm.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #379
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I just got an email from Disney about having a magical stay for my b'day. Starting at ONLY $275 per night, plus tax! Oh yeah, THAT price sure is magical!!!!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #380
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

I always enjoy reading about your trips with your son. Never a dull moment.
I had some questions about the DVC villas at the Grand Californian. I'm thinking about trying to rent points. Totally OT for this thread. Would it be ok to PM you?
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #381
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You can PM, but you could also ask it here if you want. I've never rented points (as the renter or rentee), but I've read a lot about it over on the DVC rent/trade forum. They have quite a bit of great info to read through before doing it.

We heavily considered renting before buying, but jumped the gun on that, LOL.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #382
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Wow, you are fast! I didn't want to hijack your thread but since you don't mind, I'll ask my questions here.

Any idea why the VGC units cost so many points compared to units at WDW? What are the advantages of staying at VGC vs. staying at a Disney hotel?

And finally, when is your first stay?!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #383
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We don't yet know when our first stay is. We had planned to do a big thing at WDW in October, but then the layoff happened. Therefore, the vacation time isn't there right now.

The Grand Cal villas have very few units compared to the ones at WDW.

But I just pulled out my '09 and '10 planners to really look at points. Choosing a vacation time of Jan 10-20 (checking out the 20th) next year, staying in a studio.....

During that stay, the nights of the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th are going to cost 15 points each. The 15th and 16th are Fri and Sat and so would cost 27 points each (yowza). Then 17th, 18th, 19th, are back to 15 points each night.

Compared to the Wilderness Lodge Villas...Sun through Thursday are 13 points, Fri and Sat 20 points each. So each night isn't *that* far off, but when you start adding it up, with the extra 2 points per Sun-Thurs nights, and the extra 7 the other nights...the difference gets large.

SSR the same time is 12 points per night Sun-thurs, and only 18 points Fri and Saturdays...

Vero Beach during that time frame is Dream Season, and so it's 12/night Sun-thurs, and 21 per night fr and Sat.

etc etc, and I"m sure you already know all of that.

Now if you want to hear expensive....I don't have the info for 2010 right now, but the points chart for 2009 shows that during that same time THIS year, using points to stay at the Disneyland Hotel would have been considered PEAK season, and it would have been 30 points per night during the "cheap" nights, and 49 per night Fri and Sat. ouch.

Staying at the hotels, you get housekeeping each day. Staying in the villas, you don't. Staying in the villas you get some sort of kitchen (tiny, simple for the studio, bigger for the 1/2 bedrooms/grand villa). And that's about the limit of my knowledge of differences.

Once the Villas open, you'll hear more about what it's like there.

Anyway, for whatever reason, Disneyland tends to be more expensive than Disneyworld. Taxes, hotel fees, food, etc, all more expensive. And given the tiny size of the GCVillas, it just follows that they would be on the higher side too.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #384
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Anyway, for whatever reason, Disneyland tends to be more expensive than Disneyworld. Taxes, hotel fees, food, etc, all more expensive. And given the tiny size of the GCVillas, it just follows that they would be on the higher side too.
Molly--when I questioned once why popcorn was considerably less expensive at WDW than DLR I was told it was the difference in employee costs.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #385
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

That makes sense, too.

Cheryl, you're going to have to come back here to really help out with the difference between staying at the Villa vs the Hotel in a month or so!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #386
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We don't yet know when our first stay is. We had planned to do a big thing at WDW in October, but then the layoff happened. Therefore, the vacation time isn't there right now.

The Grand Cal villas have very few units compared to the ones at WDW.

But I just pulled out my '09 and '10 planners to really look at points. Choosing a vacation time of Jan 10-20 (checking out the 20th) next year, staying in a studio.....

During that stay, the nights of the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th are going to cost 15 points each. The 15th and 16th are Fri and Sat and so would cost 27 points each (yowza). Then 17th, 18th, 19th, are back to 15 points each night.

Compared to the Wilderness Lodge Villas...Sun through Thursday are 13 points, Fri and Sat 20 points each. So each night isn't *that* far off, but when you start adding it up, with the extra 2 points per Sun-Thurs nights, and the extra 7 the other nights...the difference gets large.

SSR the same time is 12 points per night Sun-thurs, and only 18 points Fri and Saturdays...

Vero Beach during that time frame is Dream Season, and so it's 12/night Sun-thurs, and 21 per night fr and Sat.

etc etc, and I"m sure you already know all of that.

Now if you want to hear expensive....I don't have the info for 2010 right now, but the points chart for 2009 shows that during that same time THIS year, using points to stay at the Disneyland Hotel would have been considered PEAK season, and it would have been 30 points per night during the "cheap" nights, and 49 per night Fri and Sat. ouch.

Staying at the hotels, you get housekeeping each day. Staying in the villas, you don't. Staying in the villas you get some sort of kitchen (tiny, simple for the studio, bigger for the 1/2 bedrooms/grand villa). And that's about the limit of my knowledge of differences.

Once the Villas open, you'll hear more about what it's like there.

Hi Bumbershoot. Thanks for doing the side-by-side comparison. It is only a few more points a night at VGC but it DOES add up. The number of points that you quoted as needed to stay at the hotels is just insane.

From the posts on the DVC forums it sounds as though there is reasonable availability so I may be able to pick something up close to our travel dates (Jan/Feb, fingers crossed). I'm really hoping to stay onsite and renting points gives me another option for doing this, although it may not turn out to be at all cost effective compared to renting a room at one of the hotels.

OT, as a former Seattle-ite, it's nice to hear from someone in the Pacific NW. Love CA but miss that certain mindset.

Now that your husband is full time again (right?), I hope you can start planning your big WDW trip.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #387
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

So when is your birthday Molly?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #388
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Molly, I am glad to hear that the rest of R's traveling went well. There is nothing worse than someone like that to ruin a trip.
kaoden39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #389
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDoOver View Post
So when is your birthday Molly?
About a month after yours, if I'm remembering correctly that you're taking a day trip next month halfway through. It's on the true Columbus Day (the actual day, not usually when it's celebrated, if, indeed, we celebrate that day anymore, LOL).

Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #390
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

non-Disney-related but I had to vent

Dang! What is going on with the companies we're dealing with recently?

I've noticed this a little bit the last (also first) time I went to this place, but today it just really bugged me. Robert bought a new belt a few months ago. He didn't want the emotional pain of measuring for it, so he bought it bigger than he should have, and needed new holes punched in it before he could even think of wearing it.

I found a shoe repair place that has a belt hole puncher, and said they would do it for free (the dry cleaners said they could, but they charge a few bucks).

Now...y'all know of Robert's struggles. Adding to that, he's never been the type to just put the belt lower and lower on his hips, like my dad does, and pretend he hasn't changed "waist" sizes. I've actually had to convince him to lower it a little bit, b/c he was kind of treading into Urkel waters, relatively, at one point, LOL. So, unlike what seems to be most men, his belt size is actually his waist size, as are his pants.

So the belt isn't tiny.

Well, even though these guys said it was a "quality" belt, it has a backing that is coming off (didn't even know it had a backing, we thought it was a big thing of leather, ew icky ew). So we need to fix it.

I brought it in today. I had the belt in my hand, coiled, and I'm trying to find the spot where the backing is unsticking, while the counter-guy finishes up with other customers. And some dude sitting in chairs starts *making jokes* about the size of the belt. I have my child with me. I am a woman, and this is a man's belt, and even though I'm not happy with my size, I'm not the size of the belt...I don't know who he thought it belonged to, but surely he couldn't have realized it was very likely my husband's, before making fun of the size of the belt?

He said something like "need us to make that longer?" in a sarcastic tone. I just looked at him. He said something about needing more holes punched (but from his tone I could tell he was thinking of more holes at the end of it, to make it so a person *gaining* could wear it). I stared at him. Showed him the backing. Silently.

He said "oh".

Got up off the chair...and went into the back...he was an employee.

Making fun of a man's belt in the hands of a woman-with-wedding-ring, who has a child with her.

What the????? What on earth?

Then I get to the counter, and the guy there isn't letting me tell him what he wants, he starts assuming we need more holes at the end too (not to make it "smaller"). Then when I told him he was wrong, and that it was purchased way too big and we needed all these holes and they were so kind to do it (for free), and he'll soon need more punched...he commented on how my husband must be stretching it out so yeah he'll need new holes! WHAT?????

I icily replied that no, he's LOSING weight (said in an astonished at the behaviour voice). The guy shut up.

I asked him how to glue it, when he said he'd glue it and it would take a week. He told me. I bought the same contact cement the guy said he would use. We'll do it ourselves.

I won't be going back. After I find a new shoe/belt repair place, I'll be writing the owner a letter.

You don't make fun of the belt size of people. You don't make fun of the belt size when the belt owner isn't there. And you do NOT make fun of the father of a small child in front of the small child, damnit!

By the way, interesting info from the Transportation forum...while the rudeness and all of that remains inexcusable, and while the flight attendant did something she really really shouldn't have, it turns out that you can't sit in an exit row seat if you need a seat belt extender. Something to do with it possibly tangling people as they go into the row in an emergency or something like that. So that is good to know.

Of course, seating an 11 year old (turns out Air Canada has no firm age for that row) along with her mother, isn't a good idea. Not b/c of the kid...but b/c you're not supposed to sit there if you are responsible for someone else!

So all of that remains inexcusable...but the belt extender/exit row thing is good info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: