Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

5/25-5/31/09 Our Happy Trip PreTR - NEW PICS

Welcome to my PTR
Have had so much fun reading others thought Id do one of my own. I hope you enjoy.

Players - Me (37) DH (39) DB(my brother,23)
Me at disneyland 1974

DB

me and DH

We are traveling May 25-31, 2009

We are staying at POFQ

A little backround. We are from Portland, OR and this will be my DH and my brothers first time at WDW. Ive been to WDW one time previously in 1998, so long ago and I was blown away loved it. And so much has changed since then that Im so excited to get to go back in a MONTH, is it really a month? WOWO Other then that because we lived in Phoenix my parents and I have been to Disneyland 19 times they instilled the Disney Bug in me early. Since we dont go together anymore, I still get to the entrance and start crying and have to call my Mom to tell her I love her and that I miss her just because wed been there so many times, without her now makes me so sad. She always give me the be happy reassuring talk and tells me to call her in IASW as its her favorite ride, which makes me smile.

I work in the wind industry, my DH is a graphic artist.
My brother doesnt work as he has epilesy and has slight CP, his right side is tight and he walks with a limp. He has a seizure walking around the neighbor with the dogs and has to sleep the rest of the day. So this may be an interesting to people traveling with anyone with disabilities.

Lets see its been a bad year my grandmother died and my mom being in bad health, Im the only one that could take care of everything, moving stuff out of her house, cleaning it up and gettign it sold. Ive been very sad doing so. My mom surprised us saying we needed to have a happy vacation. And said shed pay for airfare and part of our trip to WDW for us and my brother. YAY US! The planning has been fun and since Im a compulsive planner this has all been super fun.
Oh, and we are all adopted in my house so as youll see in pics my brother and me look nothig alike..haha.

Enjoy, i'll get some pics up for you hopefully this evening

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;

Last edited by Disney4nonah; 04-24-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: New UPdated!! Added Pics
Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

Part #2 - Reasons for the way i planned

I think I need a reason for the itinerary and then the actual Itinerary
Reason:
I had to plan this trip a little differently. We live in a temperate Rainforest like climate, we are coming from cool and rainy. My brother dispite his best efforts and the fact he would go non-stop if I let him. Cant do that as I dont think he will be able to do all that walking/standing in the heat without having seizures. So my mom, DH and I have decided that he needs a wheelchair, much to his horror. No worries mom worked her reassuring talk magic and he now agrees well get a wheelchair and to save him well wheel him to an area (as I know how the park/s are set up) and he can walk as much as he wants to. He also fails to realize how much his back hurts after walking for along time because of his limp, (he wears down the heel of his shoes on one foot from dragging)Then when he feels too hot of tired we can push him to antoher area and just take breaks. Then I read about the GAC and my mom brought this up to the DR. who was insistent that its the only way hed let him go(my mom was surpristed), so along with the long list of meds hes on and medical history hes given us, just in case he gets really sick, which is a great idea, what if he did get sick! and have to go the hospital, I would have had nothing. Hes also written a little speel in case anyone at Disney needs to see if, which Ive found out they dont need. So if he gets tired which Im pretty good at seeing well use the GAC.

My DH, he is tolerant of Disney but I can see him getting excited for the trip. He was just telling me last night did I know its going to be a pick on ME week. Because he knows how much my brother likes to pick on me. SO I agreed they can pick on me if it makes them happy. Things hes excited for, American Idol Experience, TOT, and Universal because he love comics and Karoke at the SWAN thats right we are karaoke junkies as Portland is very Karaoke town. DH is the most amazing singer ever(Im not so bad myself) so Ill do a review of that and post it on my TR since I havent seen any here on the forum.
Why that date? I thought the crowd from memorial day weekend would most likely leave by Tuesday and wed have lower crowds for the week, but then I forgot and read about Star Wars weekends after that, so I think we all just will have to be in the mindset that here are going to be crowds and well just have to deal with it. Im happy well get to go to HS on a star wars Friday, WOOHOO (as I am a star wars geek)
Why that resort? -
Read hundreds of reviews on this board of all the options and then did pick POFQ, one it has a slide, gee I hope my brother can ride it? no age limit ???
It was relatively quiet, and man its it beautiful; love the theme, Im so excited!
Really read all the reviews and almot every review was great. Ive asked for a first floor room as I know my DB will want to go to the food court of something by himself and I dont want any tired feet tripping on the stairs while trying to carry something up them, food/drinks.

We have no special plans or any celebration, its just a Happy Trip

Coming up !!!!
-acutal Itinerary
-why tix choice
-ADRs
-Exercise
-Tips Im taking with me gleaned from the boards

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

Part #3 More Details :)

Before I do the Itinerary I think I should explain why I did somethings a little differenly.

Tickets - I did the Magic your way one park a day tickets for a reason. We dont have kids I know there are places we dont have here in the NW that we would like to eat at, off property and because we have a car we can do so. Plus we almost need something to force us to stop or else wed run ourselves ragged. I almost want it to be able to say to my DB ok the park is closed so we need to go back to the room, shower, regroup and head out for dinner or to DTD or Karaoke of just even resort exploring. Im thinking in places air conditioned for him. BUTTTT, Im rethinking.
The last couple of days we could use the hopper, talking it over with DH hes good at reasoning, then me with my fly off the handle stuff

ADRs - I only have Three count them THREE! I know I know what a disney slacker.
HERES THE THING, we are so not good at hot and the last thing I do is eat in heat, makes me ill. So we are going to counter service/snack our way around. But wait, Im going to keep tally of food costs in order to be able to REASON with DH that next time we need the Plus or Deluxe dining plan. Its my evil plan. Well see how it works. My three are Monday at 50s Prime Time caf in HS at 7:20pm
Wednesday at 6pm Biergarten at Epcot and Thursday morning 8am Ohana Character Breakfast at the Poly. Anyway, I think itll be great

Photopass Im going to do it, Ive gone back and forth but I love the pics!!! Im in love with them I just got a bonus check so Im going to prepay it, I think my mom will like having all those pics of us. Looked into the share but after hearing how slow the site is with all the pics I think the best bet is just to do one by ourselves. Also little apprehensive that people have said lately they havent seen any photographers but im going to do it, Ill be sure to let you know if we see any gee I hope we see plenty, I want a pic with Capn jack sparrow as Its probably the closest i'll get to Johnny Depp

Exercise Ill be blunt we are pooh sized, and I need to get in shape to handle all that walking and pushing the wheelchair. My DH swims a half a mile everyday, Im so proud of him. Hes so afraid they wont let him on rides even though Ive assured him he will be ok on everything at WDW. Me I go up and down 20 lbs all the time.
I must admit this grandma stuff has made me eat more and not exercise. So my goal is just the 10lbs off to be albe to walk the 5 to 10 miles a day.. haha.
So I go to the gym and walk for 30 mins and then do only 15 mins of weights a day (very low weight, just to tone). (been 2 days this week) yay me

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;
Old 04-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

Part #4 - the Actual Itinerary

Actual Itinerary
MY Mantra for the trip is Loosy Goosy, This is a vacation!! ENJOY (Cause Id go non-stop too) "what's wrong with me??"

Sunday 11:45pm leave PDX (did this because even if we leave at 5am we get to MCO @ 8pm, that a whole day) we are leaving and arrive Monday at 10:30am
(Genius huh, plus well be all excited and running on pacific time)

Monday arrive 10:30am Pick up rental car Im planning 1 hrs. from time we land until we get to the POFQ. (serioulsly we should be burnt out from time change on Wednesday which is our sleep in day LOL) and off to HS to A. get wheelchair for week B. get GAC and then play as our first ADR is Prime time at 7:20pm. Then back to resort to either Swim or go to DTD.

Tuesday - EMH at MK, we will be there for Rope Drop, then rides, rides, rides
So Excited for changes in POTC, love love love the puns on JC. Peter Pan love the smell. OH oH DOLE WHIP. Back to the room early 5pm to go eat, swim. Maybe Karaoke later??

Wednesday Epcot Soarin, TT, WS no MS for me, hey I have to take dramine for the plane ridecant even be on a swingIm old. We have a 6pm ADR for Biergarten.
(We are not on the dining plan we are palying this very loosy goosy vacation like not every day super planned) I cant eat when its hot, I just cant I drink a lot of water and we tend to snack, so lots of snacking and eating around the world.

Thursday Morning ADR for the Ohana Breakfast Im so excited and then off to Universal Studios and back to HS after for Fantasmic???

Friday Animal Kingdom - never been here so excited to see everything.

Sat ok havnet decided its our last day I think MK but Im holding off for the group to decide.

Sunday - we leave super early - so wake up and goooo Wahhhh

Tips up soon

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;
Old 04-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Disney4nonah
Mouseketeer

Update

wow this adding pics stuff it hard.. *whew* guess i'll get used to it....
hope you like the pictures... Thanks

Me 42- DH 45-
POR Jan 20-28, 2015
POFQ Jan 19-26, 2010
POFQ May 25-31, 2009;
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
lizet313
A dream is a wish your HEART makes!

Am in waiting to hear more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: