Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Our First Ever Surprise Trip to Disney

So...its done. Our first ever Walt Disney World trip is booked, airline reservations are made. Sounds simple right? Everyone of you have done the same thing many times over. What's the big deal you say?
Here's the big deal. As a 30 something mother of four I have NEVER made any kind of reservations. I have NEVER posessed the amount of money it takes for this kind of a trip. I had been working planning to try to surprise the family with a trip to Disney next May. They all knew we were going just not the exact when. However, i got a pin for free dining for my birthday this December. I though, "I'll just call and price this thing out." Hah! Within 20 minutes I had booked a trip to Disney over the for the first week of December. I got off the phone nauseated, the room spinning, my hands shaking. I managed to hold it together long enough to call my mother (Who can always find the holes in any wild scheme i come up with.) She said, "That's great honey!" Aargh! This should have been enough to reassure me, but well it wasn't. However, not to wimp out at this point I booked our flights. Now you all know with Disney you can pay it out, get trip insurance and cancel at any time. With the airlines...not so much. By the time i booked our flights I was sick. With a click of a button I had just spent $1400. Aaaaagh! I have never spent that kind of money. I literally made myself an icepack and went to bed for four hours. My husband came home at lunch saw me in bed and didn't even want to know. So, I didn't tell him. No one in the family has a clue!
I am scared to death! Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. (You know the one you never see hanging above your head!) So for the next 120 days I will be working any and all available overtime, praying I come up with the rest of the money (Not too worried about that aspect) and planning this trip for my family of 6 ALL BY MYSELF. (That is a very scary undertaking for a person with ADD. One slip in your concentration and you're left standing at the airport because you forgot to schedule ME service!)
Anyway, check back frequently to get your day started with a laugh because with my skill who knows what I'll manage to screw up!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MK2010; 09-14-2009 at 06:53 AM.
ASMu 2009
Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Here is the update at T-104 (# of days until we board the airplane for Disney!!!) So far the kids still don't know. ALthough the oldest one is such a snoop he'll probably figure it out soon. The husband figured it out, but its all good. By the time he figured it out I had enough overtime scheduled that the trip itseld was actually paid for (Now tips and spending money is another story). He was impressed! It is very difficult for me to impress my husband. He now refers to me as his Amazingly Awesome Impressive Wife!

Our original travel dates were Nov. 30 arriving at MCO (that's the Orlando airport) at 10:45 p.m. and departing MCO Friday Dec. 4 at 4 p.m. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was what I could afford. So hubby (who had refused to help pay for any of this vacation or talk about it, until he found out I had already done it all and is now whistling quite a different tune) agreed to pick up an extra night at ASMu and the little bit extra to fly out a day early. My respone? I looked online to change our flight. I was so excited there was one! Yay! I decided to go to bed and book it in a couple of hours after I had had some sleep. (I work nights and have learned do nothing without sleeping a bit first) Unfortunately, in the three hours that I slept the flight disappeared So after much screaming, cursing and throwing things I finally got us a flight we could afford out of San Antonio on Nov. 29 at 7 a.m. Our original flight were out of Dallas. My parents live nearby and could drop us off at the airport. With the new plan, my Mom is flying in from Dallas to pick up our car from San Antonio and driving it back to Dallas cause that is where our return flight is landing! Crazy isn't it? To top all of this off, my vacation request for Dec. 3, 4, 5 still hasn't been approved because apparently you aren't allowed to take vacation between Nov. 26 and Jan.1. Unfortunately now I also need Nov. 28 off and I know that won't be happening. I am hoping to beg with some co workers who will trade me days. the way it stands now if I work the 28th I get off at 7 a.m. on the 29th. Scroll back up and see if you see any problems with that. Keep in mind we're a good 8 hours from San Antonio. (I think I feel food poisoning coming on. It should hit in about 103 days!)

Check back in a couple of weeks when I have my ADRS booked and posted!
ASMu 2009
Old 10-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Take a deep breath You'll be fine.

Congrats on your first trip. How old are your kids? Where are you staying?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: