Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #106
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Happy Fourth of July Weekend Everyone!

So, this weekend was Independence Day and overall we had a really great time. No real trip updates (sorry!!) but I do have some really fun pics from the weekend I thought I would share.

Friday, DH and I both had off of work. We went to a Phillies v. Mets game in Philly and (hooray!) the Phils won. Great seats, perfect weather, a cheesesteak and a win to boot!

Saturday was our annual family picnic. There was BBQ, horseshoes, music, fireworks, friends---it was a great time. We had a fireworks mishap (it shot into the crowd watching instead of the sky and some people got a little burnt) but other than that---tons of fun.

Here are some pictures that I took.

Family.

Hubby (Erik).

Mom (Lois).

Brother (Chris).

Cousin (Carly).

PopPop (Frank).

Now for some fun ones, inspired by a recent thread on the Photo Board.

That's all I've got for right now, hopefully that gives you a little peak into what I might bring back from my trips to The World in December (and October!)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #107
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Those are GREAT pics! How did you do it? I love it!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #108
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

the pics are amazing! i can't wait to see what you bring back from disney!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #109
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Those are GREAT pics! How did you do it? I love it!
Thanks. It was a lot of fun taking them. The ones at night---mount your camera on a tripod, set it for a reeeeeally long shutter speed, grab a flash light/sparklers/glow sticks/etc. and write. At the end, hit your subject with a flash from your camera and presto! Simple, right? You should really try it, it's a great way to have some fun and pass the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post
the pics are amazing! i can't wait to see what you bring back from disney!
Thanks! I'm a newbie when it comes to my SLR camera, but I'm hoping I can come back from our trips in October and December with lots of photos to share and that I can be proud of posting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #110
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post

To Eat:*Just a warning that all of it is complete junk food. I'll be splitting with DH but c'mon give me a break---I'm on vacation!!

- Dole Whip / I've never tried one. A sin really, I know. I had my first one during just a year ago. I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I am not a Dole Whip fan. I guess I went in with really HIGH expectations and came out disappointed. I might try one again just to make sure I really don't like them, though. You know...just in case.
- Chocolate PB cake from Boardwalk Bakery / After reading Carrie's (lurkyloo) amazing trip reports and realizing our shared love for the chocolate & peanut butter flavor combination, I decided that this cake is a must. Apparently they sell it by the slice at the BWB and since we just so happen to be staying at the Boardwalk Villas, it will probably be had everyday for breakfast. What diet?? Ooh, that cake sounds AMAZING!! We've never been to the Boardwalk, but that is enough motivation to get our butts over there!
- Strawberry shortcake from Sunshine Seasons
- Chocolate chip cookie icecream sandwich from DinoBites in AK / This thing looks HUGE and amazing. SO GOOD!!! I love these things!
- Chocolate covered Mickey rice krispy treat, the big ones / Nuff said.

To Drink:*Just a warning that drinking at home is a rarity for me---so if in my TR I appear in any photos (which is doubtful because I take them) I apologize for looking like a mess. Love that disclaimer!

Thank goodness WDW is one of the places where I don't have to worry about gaining weight. When you're walking 10+ miles a day, it's nice to be able to eat whatever you want and not stress out over it---but makes it so hard to get back into your daily routine at home. Oh well, a small price to pay I'd guess!
WDW is definitely one of those places where gorging yourself on bad food doesn't count. Besides walking a TON, you just don't gain weight at the "Happiest Place on Earth"...right?

I love those Christmas ornaments, btw! So cute.

Oh, and I love your idea about doing a commando trip down for MNSSHP. I'm off to checkout your October PTR.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #111
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
WDW is definitely one of those places where gorging yourself on bad food doesn't count. Besides walking a TON, you just don't gain weight at the "Happiest Place on Earth"...right?

I love those Christmas ornaments, btw! So cute.

Oh, and I love your idea about doing a commando trip down for MNSSHP. I'm off to checkout your October PTR.
You are SO right, and I don't even mean that jokingly---I heard that the average person walks something like 10 miles per day when in WDW, which sure beats my 4 miles at the gym 4-5 times a week!! I plan to eat and/or drink whatever I want. If I wasn't in WDW downing cookie icecream sandwiches and margaritas, I'd just be at home making (eating) Christmas cookies anyway

I think I'm getting too hyped for the Dole Whip. Everyone thinks they are so good and I'd love for that to be the case, but I told my Mom (a non-DISer) about them the other day and she just looked at me like "Okay pineapple flavored soft-serve---so what?? "

I guess I'll find out in October or December!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #112
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Yeah, I was telling DH that he better get in shape for all that walking. You should've seen his face! Seriously though, it's quite a good workout. That's why we should all go to WDW more often!

HA! Aaron said the same thing when I tried my first Dole Whip. He couldn't get why I was so excited to try it. But, they are a must try for any true Disney fanatic! Although, I still refuse to try a turkey leg. Something about those just creep me out.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #113
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
Although, I still refuse to try a turkey leg. Something about those just creep me out.
+1 for that. It just seems like such a barbaric way to eat. Barbaric and messy. Plus I don't like dark meat.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #114
annnewjerz

Thinking about our trip never leads to good things...

So while discussing my birthday meal over on my other PTR for October, I got to thinking about eating at all of those yummy Signature restaurants. I have been going back and forth----an back and forth----over whether or not to get the basic DDP. Luckily since we are renting from DVC, we don't have to make a final decision on that until like 2 weeks in advance or something crazy!

Anywho, then I started thinking about the deluxe DDP.

:Thinking to self:
Hmmmmmm, I wonder how much the deluxe DDP would be. Probably WAY out of our price range. I know this is a "dream" trip and all, but I still have a budget to stick to darnit!!

:crunches numbers:

No this can't be right. Only like $100 extra per person to get the deluxe DDP and eat at all of those great restaurants?! I must have done the math wrong.

:crunches numbers again:
Hmmmmm, it's still only $100 more per person. I'm an idiot, I know this can't be right!

:stares off into space a little while:

IT IS RIGHT!! Now, how can I convince DH and DM to go for this? We are not huge eaters when it comes to The World---but getting to eat at Artist Point, Jiko, Flying Fish and Brown Derby all in one trip, how can you pass it up?

Well here's my justification. The other day, I suggested taking the Backstage Magic Tour rather than the KTTK. That would have been $150 extra per person and everyone was a-okay with that. Now, I decided to do the KTTK tour instead, which gives me back $150 per person to work with---and the deluxe DDP is only $100 more.........

You get the idea. So, as it seems right now, we may upgrade to the deluxe DDP. Here is where (if we do it) I would like to eat. Does anyone else have any suggestions for better 2TS meals??

- Flying Fish
- Crystal Palace
- Artist Point
- Sci Fi Dine In Theater
- Brown Derby
- Yak & Yeti
- Jiko
- Kona Cafe
- San Angel Inn

This breaks down in such a way that over the course of 7 days, we will have 1 day without any TS meals at all. We will have 3 days with 1 TS meal scheduled and 3 days with 2 TS meals scheduled (early lunch and late late dinner).

Thoughts?? Anyone done the DxDDP before and if so, what have you liked/disliked about it?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #115
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Hey Ann,
I haven't read through your entire TR yet, so I don't know if these places have been suggested/thrown out, but we really enjoy the California Grill (2TS) and Le Cellier (1TS, I believe). The San Angel Inn is a neat restaurant because of the location, but the food is hit and miss there (with more miss than hit, IMO). I personally think the Cantina outside has better food and is cheaper (and is CS rather than TS). Never done Brown Derby, but Jiko is awesome (probably my favorite restaurant on WDW property).

If you guys like sushi, California Grill is the best on the resort (although we haven't tried Teppan-Edo yet... we're trying it during our Sept trip).

And be sure to down a Grand Marnier slushy in France... tastes like an alcoholic Push-up.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #116
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Hey Ann,
I haven't read through your entire TR yet, so I don't know if these places have been suggested/thrown out, but we really enjoy the California Grill (2TS) and Le Cellier (1TS, I believe). The San Angel Inn is a neat restaurant because of the location, but the food is hit and miss there (with more miss than hit, IMO). I personally think the Cantina outside has better food and is cheaper (and is CS rather than TS). Never done Brown Derby, but Jiko is awesome (probably my favorite restaurant on WDW property).

If you guys like sushi, California Grill is the best on the resort (although we haven't tried Teppan-Edo yet... we're trying it during our Sept trip).

And be sure to down a Grand Marnier slushy in France... tastes like an alcoholic Push-up.
Heyyyyy Todd. Where have you been lately? Seems you have been sorta MIA from the Photo Board!

Thanks for the recommendations. San Angel is one that we have done a few times and thankfully the food has always been good (not the best or anything, just good). The real reason we continue to go is the atmosphere. We are big fans of vacations in Mexico and since we can't do that and WDW in one year, it makes us feel like we did both---or at least that's what I tell myself.

I'm glad to hear another favorable review of Jiko. We've never done it before and are really looking forward to trying it out, people seem to love it.

California Grill I'm still unsold on. I know it is supposed to have great sushi and while I think sushi is okay, we live 1.5 hours from NYC and 45 minutes from Philly, so there are loads of good places to grab sushi around here (although the same could be said about steak, Asian and Mexican food so there goes that justification ). I guess I'm just less inclined to book CG because of the fact that we would probably have to watch Wishes from the deck rather than in the park and from what I hear it seems most people think it's loud and crowded in there---but that's subjective I guess.

We'll see! I've still got 2 months to get all of this sorted out. While the food is a definite concern, having a good time and the pictures are much more important to me
Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #117
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Heyyyyy Todd. Where have you been lately? Seems you have been sorta MIA from the Photo Board!
I know... just haven't found much time to post lately. I'm getting ready to start my first pre-trip report soon for our upcoming September trip, so be on the lookout!

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. San Angel is one that we have done a few times and thankfully the food has always been good (not the best or anything, just good). The real reason we continue to go is the atmosphere. We are big fans of vacations in Mexico and since we can't do that and WDW in one year, it makes us feel like we did both---or at least that's what I tell myself.
Ahh, makes sense. I agree that the atmosphere in San Angel is really cool (it and Canada are my favorite pavilions).

Quote:
California Grill I'm still unsold on. I know it is supposed to have great sushi and while I think sushi is okay, we live 1.5 hours from NYC and 45 minutes from Philly, so there are loads of good places to grab sushi around here (although the same could be said about steak, Asian and Mexican food so there goes that justification ). I guess I'm just less inclined to book CG because of the fact that we would probably have to watch Wishes from the deck rather than in the park and from what I hear it seems most people think it's loud and crowded in there---but that's subjective I guess.

We'll see! I've still got 2 months to get all of this sorted out. While the food is a definite concern, having a good time and the pictures are much more important to me
With The California Grill, you can always slip up there for a quick drink and maybe one or two sushi plates without reservations (just sit at the bar). That way, you have the chance to try it to see if you like it enough to blow 2TS eating there on a future trip. There are also some fantastic photo ops of the MK from that deck at night.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #118
missliberty
Earning My Ears

Hey Ann,
New reader...love your posts! Is your DxDDP calculations $100 per person or per person per night? That would be awesome if it is for the entire stay!! I'm still struggling to decide where to go with the free dining basic plan I was able to get. Since I have never been to WDW I only have reviews on the web and books to go by. Your list looks awfully good so far. I might have to steal it!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #119
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

We had the DxDP and thought it was wayyyy too much food. BUT....we have 3 kids and didn't do many 2 ts credit meals so they didn't disturb people that were trying to enjoy a quiet meal! So, we were sometimes eating 3 meals a day. You do get a lot for each meal, too! But, if you are going to try to do 2 ts meals, it's the only way to go so that it's affordable!! I'd like to do it if DH and I can get there alone!!!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #120
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by missliberty View Post
Hey Ann,
New reader...love your posts! Is your DxDDP calculations $100 per person or per person per night? That would be awesome if it is for the entire stay!!
Nope, it's around $100 per person more for the entire stay. Now before you get too excited, let me explain how

The basic DDP is $200 per person total for the entire stay, plus $15 for a refillable mug. On our first day, we won't be on the DDP so I budgeted about $35 in food/snacks for the first day (two CS meals). We were also going to add on $7 per day in additional snacking items which is $35 and two TS meals that we were going to pay out of pocket for, which ended up being about $40 each. Then, we had to add in tips, I forget the exact amount I calculated but we'll say $60 per person for the entire stay. In addition, I would probably ship down some food for breakfasts which would be about $15. While I still might do that, it won't be as much stuff---maybe just some Pop Tarts or something. So when all is said and done, it was going to cost approximately $400 total for us to eat on the basic dining plan, including everything.

With the deluxe DDP, we won't have to pay for any meals OOP, we get an extra snack per day and our refillable mugs included in the price of the plan. So the total per person just for the deluxe DDP would be $360. Add in about $100 in tips and the $35 in food for our first day, and we end up at approximately $495 per person, or $100 per person per day including tax, refillable mugs and three meals/two snacks per day.

For Disney prices, that doesn't sound horrible if you ask me. :

Quote:
I'm still struggling to decide where to go with the free dining basic plan I was able to get. Since I have never been to WDW I only have reviews on the web and books to go by. Your list looks awfully good so far. I might have to steal it!
We had the free basic DDP back in September of 07 and thought it was great. Saved us at least a few hundred dollars off of the cost of our trip, which I liked a lot! We splurged and used two of our credits on a 2TS meal (Flying Fish) and really appreciated seeing a $350 bill for 4 of us come out and not have to pay a penny (that's when the tip was still included).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: