Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #61
Angrypenguin
Disney n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
LOL... I guess I have too much time on my hands ! Actually, we have a family trip coming up in September so as it gets closer, I'll probably spend more and more time on the DIS. There's so much info on this website and I've met a lot of really great people on here that make it a fun community to be a part of.
I checked out your smugmug, you have excellent shots!

Okay, we'll stop hijacking annewjerz's thread . Feel free to hijack my journal tho

BTW Anne, I'm incredibly jealous you get to go during Christmas. You're going to get some crazy and wonderful shots.

Wedding pics here, here, and here

Disney World pictures here and here and here

My flickr: www.flickr.com/kevinkyen
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #62
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypenguin View Post
I checked out your smugmug, you have excellent shots!

Okay, we'll stop hijacking annewjerz's thread . Feel free to hijack my journal tho
Thanks, Kevin! I'll definitely check out your journal when I have a little time (I noticed it was 25+ pages, so it must be good). Congrats on your wedding, btw .

Sorry for the thread hijack, Anne!

Please visit my flickr photostream
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #63
jpmom97
DIS Veteran

I only read the first page of your report but it sounds like you will have a great time! I will be overlapping you by a few days, we are going the 4th-15th. You will have the best time w/ your mom!! I wish I had taken more trips w/ my mom.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #64
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Thanks, Kevin! I'll definitely check out your journal when I have a little time (I noticed it was 25+ pages, so it must be good). Congrats on your wedding, btw .

Sorry for the thread hijack, Anne!

Meh, the off-topic conversations keep me bumped up so I don't have to post mindless crap just to keep it towards the top of the heap---so feel free to chat away!!

Eventually, when I get some readers---maybe we should restrict the OT conversations---wouldn't want to upset anyone who may eventually be enjoying my PTR. For now though, I don't think my two* followers will mind

*One of the two being myself.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #65
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Enjoying your report!!! what a great deal for your room too! We will be there at the same time, as you know. Do you have all your meals planned out? I am dying for Dec hours to come out so we can finish planning. rihgt now we are basing our plan on 2008 Dec hours. I have a great spreadsheet I could send you if interested for planning!!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #66
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Since you are a December expert, I might as well ask you----is it warm enough to wear flip flops in December? I have read varying reports online and I know weather can be hit or miss....but in your experience, they are something I should pack at least one pair of---right???
The one time we went in early Dec a few years back- it was nice during the day, we wore shorts, t-shirts and flip flops (or tennis shoes). then brought a hoodie/sweatshirt in case. at night, we wore capris or jeans if it was chilly. the night of our MVMCP, it was so cold we wore gloves and hats, but that was only one day out of the trip it was chilly like that. I'll be bringing one pair of tennis shoes and some good flops- i have speedo ones i love! i might try crocs, i think they are ugly, but everyone raves how comfy they are and DS loves his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
We're doing a tour for the first time on this trip too! We'll be doing Keys to the Kingdom. I wanted to do Backstage Magic, but that really takes up your entire day, and DH and I will be doing it after our parents go back home. I didn't want to take up a whole entire park day that we have to ourselves for a tour! KTTK fit the bill of what we're looking for, so we're doing that one instead. I'm excited!
I just did the KTTK tour 2 weeks ago before the DIS podcast cruise. We did the 8:30am tour on a Saturday. James was our guide and he was fantastic. I have also read that Meghan is great. This was our chance to do the tour, as we had no kiddos with us on this trip. We only spent one day at MK before heading on the cruise. We got to the MK at like 7:45am an checked in at 8:15, got some good empty MK pics! The tour was long, lots of walking and very hot. My mom was in a wheelchair. We started with the walking tour of Main st, and heard some great stories and history. Then we proceeded to an area in Adventureland, just before you get to Aloha Aisle, there is some covered seating that is always empty- we sat there for probably an hour, listening to the history of Walt. There were some great stories I had not read or heard before, even as a former cast member, so that was great. We then rode the Jungle Cruise and continued towards Frontierland where we were taken backstage for a bit- saw Spectro floats and afternoon parade floats and more. It was great fun. Then we continued back through Frontierland to lunch at Columbia Harbor House upstairs. After lunch, we rode Haunted Mansion, then headed down into the utilidors and more backstage areas. We finished up I think about 1pm. We were tired and hot, but it was well worth it. And you receive a special surprise too. I am really glad i did the tour- at almost 5 hours, it was long, but very interesting. Plus we had a funny guide that kept us laughing the entire time. We all thought it was well worth the price and our time. You guys will love it!!!

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #67
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
The one time we went in early Dec a few years back- it was nice during the day, we wore shorts, t-shirts and flip flops (or tennis shoes). then brought a hoodie/sweatshirt in case. at night, we wore capris or jeans if it was chilly. the night of our MVMCP, it was so cold we wore gloves and hats, but that was only one day out of the trip it was chilly like that. I'll be bringing one pair of tennis shoes and some good flops- i have speedo ones i love! i might try crocs, i think they are ugly, but everyone raves how comfy they are and DS loves his.

I just did the KTTK tour 2 weeks ago before the DIS podcast cruise. We did the 8:30am tour on a Saturday. James was our guide and he was fantastic. I have also read that Meghan is great. This was our chance to do the tour, as we had no kiddos with us on this trip. We only spent one day at MK before heading on the cruise. We got to the MK at like 7:45am an checked in at 8:15, got some good empty MK pics! The tour was long, lots of walking and very hot. My mom was in a wheelchair. We started with the walking tour of Main st, and heard some great stories and history. Then we proceeded to an area in Adventureland, just before you get to Aloha Aisle, there is some covered seating that is always empty- we sat there for probably an hour, listening to the history of Walt. There were some great stories I had not read or heard before, even as a former cast member, so that was great. We then rode the Jungle Cruise and continued towards Frontierland where we were taken backstage for a bit- saw Spectro floats and afternoon parade floats and more. It was great fun. Then we continued back through Frontierland to lunch at Columbia Harbor House upstairs. After lunch, we rode Haunted Mansion, then headed down into the utilidors and more backstage areas. We finished up I think about 1pm. We were tired and hot, but it was well worth it. And you receive a special surprise too. I am really glad i did the tour- at almost 5 hours, it was long, but very interesting. Plus we had a funny guide that kept us laughing the entire time. We all thought it was well worth the price and our time. You guys will love it!!!
1. Thank you so much for reading. I haven't updated this thing in quite a while now---I'm just trying to hold off as long as possible so I don't finish up a PTR months before the actual trip!!

2. I'm so glad to hear the positive review of the KTTK. It seems like everyone thinks that it is worth the time and money and I was extremely nervous about taking 5 whole hours on our last day away from my favorite park---but we've decided to do it and I'm really happy with the decision. Now I just have to wait until 90 days out so I can book the thing already!!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #68
annnewjerz

Quote:
Enjoying your report!!! what a great deal for your room too! We will be there at the same time, as you know. Do you have all your meals planned out? I am dying for Dec hours to come out so we can finish planning. rihgt now we are basing our plan on 2008 Dec hours. I have a great spreadsheet I could send you if interested for planning!!

I am totally there with you on the planning front. I have the hours (including which days are EMH, etc.) from 2008 all written down and book-marked online. I have a rough itinerary made (that's a lie---it's actually a full itinerary down to the minute if all goes as planned and the hours are the same this year, but I'm calling it "rough" just so I can allow myself more changes!) and which park each day, along with a plan "A" and plan "B" for restaurants.

Haven't decided on the meal plan yet, I'm going to wait to see if I can get my ADRs and if I can, we'll do the meal plan. If I can't get the ressies, we'll just do what we want, fly by the seat of our pants and pay OOP.

More than likely, I'll be spending countless hours planning every detail of the trip and once we arrive, I'll throw it all out the window, but the planning is half the fun leading up to the trip!

Please do send me the spreadsheet, I love spreadsheets, passporters, binders, websites, programs----basically anything I can use to obsessively plan some more.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #69
annnewjerz

To Eat/To Drink List

Since deciding that we would be returning to The World this year, I have been spending far too much time on the DIS and have come up with a "To Eat" and "To Drink" list for our December trip. This list does not include actual restaurants or food items from said restaurants, more just a compilation of snacks and drinks (mostly of the alcoholic sort) that I would like to try while we are there.

To Eat:*Just a warning that all of it is complete junk food. I'll be splitting with DH but c'mon give me a break---I'm on vacation!!

- Dole Whip / I've never tried one. A sin really, I know.
- Chocolate PB cake from Boardwalk Bakery / After reading Carrie's (lurkyloo) amazing trip reports and realizing our shared love for the chocolate & peanut butter flavor combination, I decided that this cake is a must. Apparently they sell it by the slice at the BWB and since we just so happen to be staying at the Boardwalk Villas, it will probably be had everyday for breakfast. What diet??
- Strawberry shortcake from Sunshine Seasons
- Chocolate chip cookie icecream sandwich from DinoBites in AK / This thing looks HUGE and amazing.
- Chocolate covered Mickey rice krispy treat, the big ones / Nuff said.

To Drink:*Just a warning that drinking at home is a rarity for me---so if in my TR I appear in any photos (which is doubtful because I take them) I apologize for looking like a mess.

- Grey goose slushie from France
- Lapu Lapu at the Polynesian
- Yak Attack in Animal Kingdom
- Sangria from Morrocco
- Margarita from Mexico
- Scotch flight from the Rose & Crown Pub (for DH)

Thank goodness WDW is one of the places where I don't have to worry about gaining weight. When you're walking 10+ miles a day, it's nice to be able to eat whatever you want and not stress out over it---but makes it so hard to get back into your daily routine at home. Oh well, a small price to pay I'd guess!

Last edited by annnewjerz; 05-26-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #70
exwdwcm

Quote:
Since deciding that we would be returning to The World this year, I have been spending far too much time on the DIS and have come up with a "To Eat" and "To Drink" list for our December trip. This list does not include actual restaurants or food items from said restaurants, more just a compilation of snacks and drinks (mostly of the alcoholic sort) that I would like to try while we are there.

To Eat:*Just a warning that all of it is complete junk food. I'll be splitting with DH but c'mon give me a break---I'm on vacation!!

- Dole Whip / I've never tried one. A sin really, I know.
- Chocolate PB cake from Boardwalk Bakery / After reading Carrie's (lurkyloo) amazing trip reports and realizing our shared love for the chocolate & peanut butter flavor combination, I decided that this cake is a must. Apparently they sell it by the slice at the BWB and since we just so happen to be staying at the Boardwalk Villas, it will probably be had everyday for breakfast. What diet??
- Strawberry shortcake from Sunshine Seasons
- Chocolate chip cookie icecream sandwich from DinoBites in AK / This thing looks HUGE and amazing.
- Chocolate covered Mickey rice krispy treat, the big ones / Nuff said.

To Drink:*Just a warning that drinking at home is a rarity for me---so if in my TR I appear in any photos (which is doubtful because I take them) I apologize for looking like a mess.

- Grey goose slushie from France
- Lapu Lapu at the Polynesian
- Yak Attack in Animal Kingdom
- Sangria from Morrocco
- Margarita from Mexico
- Scotch flight from the Rose & Crown Pub (for DH)

Thank goodness WDW is one of the places where I don't have to worry about gaining weight. When you're walking 10+ miles a day, it's nice to be able to eat whatever you want and not stress out over it---but makes it so hard to get back into your daily routine at home. Oh well, a small price to pay I'd guess!
i think i gained 10 lbs reading this! lol

what is the yak attack? that is a new one to me. the others sound fabulous. the pina colava at the Poly is great too. They have them at the AKL as well. and we are also looking forward to the grey goose slushie on our drink around the night.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #71
annnewjerz

Quote:
i think i gained 10 lbs reading this! lol

what is the yak attack? that is a new one to me. the others sound fabulous. the pina colava at the Poly is great too. They have them at the AKL as well. and we are also looking forward to the grey goose slushie on our drink around the night.
If you gained 10 pounds reading it---I can only imagine how much I gained researching/writing it! Something tells me we won't get through all of the things on my list. My "musts" would be the PB cake, Dole Whip and Mickey Head Krispy Treat and the Grey Goose Slush. If I missed the rest, meh---I'm sure they'll still be there on another trip!

The Yak Attack is at Yak & Yeti in AK. To be honest, it's been so long since I wrote my list that I have no clue what's even in this drink---but when I read about it on the restaurant board it sounded fruity and yummy!! I literally decided this year to stop drinking since I don't enjoy it that much (hate the taste of alcohol and always get SO tired when I have even one drink) and since I'm probably going to have my first drink in a year, the drinks will definitely be split as well. If I had to do them on my own, I may end up conking out on one non-stop trip round and round on the monorail.

LASTLY, the Pina Colava, is that a black/dark purple drink? I had seen in the "Alcoholic Beverages" thread on the Restaurant board a picture of something that was very dark and I swore this was the name of it. If so---what's it taste like? Not licorice I hope!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #72
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Hi there again! Your eat and drink list looks WONDERFUL - I am also wanting to get the Grand Marnier Slushie this trip - after being in the parks during that Christmas / New Years week, I might need a little drinky-poo to get me through!

Hope you have a great weekend! Looking forward to more!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #73
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Hi there again! Your eat and drink list looks WONDERFUL - I am also wanting to get the Grand Marnier Slushie this trip - after being in the parks during that Christmas / New Years week, I might need a little drinky-poo to get me through!

Hope you have a great weekend! Looking forward to more!
Wait wait wait...hold the phone. Grand Marnier Slushie?! How did I not hear about these?! I need to know where I can get one and add that to my list.

Good luck with your trip over Christmas/New Years. I would love to go during this time, but since we only go once every few years and our jobs don't really restrict when we can take vacation---I decided that less crowded would probably be better. But I can't imagine too much better than waking up on Christmas morning in Disney. So fun!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #74
exwdwcm

Quote:
LASTLY, the Pina Colava, is that a black/dark purple drink? I had seen in the "Alcoholic Beverages" thread on the Restaurant board a picture of something that was very dark and I swore this was the name of it. If so---what's it taste like? Not licorice I hope!
the Pina Colava is just a pina colada with raspberry puree blended in - so pineapple tasting with berries too. yum!

the grand Marnier slush is also at France I believe? that is something we want to try as well.

I am not a huge drinker either. I don't like the taste of alcohol, bartenders look at me funny when i say to make it 'weak'. I prefer the fruity frozen drinks or a beer. anything too strong (or shots), forget it!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #75
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Just found ya!

We'll be there Dec. 7 - 16, to celebrate our older DS's 30th birthday. We'll be at SSR for 4 nights, them BWV for 5 nights. DS & DDIL are moving at the end of this month, so we'll really start to plan once they have that behind them. I have a half-hearted PTR here somewhere.

I've never been at the holidays, and can't wait!

I love reading all your plans - keep 'em coming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: