Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

A special treat for me.

So, after all of this planning to come up with surprises for DH and DM, I decided that it was time to plan something FOR ME!

Everyone has their WDW guilty pleasures, right? Well mine is "Living with the Land" in The Land pavillion in Epcot. I think it smells horrible---but for some reason I just have to go on this ride every trip.

This time, I decided that for the $15 or so that it costs, we will take the "Behind the Seeds" tour instead! At first DM seemed to have no interest and actually told me that maybe she'd skip it and just hang out by herself for an hour. That's a no no though, this will be the first day of our trip and it will be spent together whether she likes it or not. She has come around though and decided that she'll do it as well.

On a Sunday morning when we plan to tour the World Showcase from the time it opens until the time is closes, I just figured the tour would be a nice thing to do for an hour before we start our plan to "Eat and Drink Around the World." (more on that later though)

This is, however, the one thing on the trip that I can see changing. I have been really interested in doing it for a while, but considering this will be our first park day, I just don't know if I'll be able to keep myself from running onto the rides as soon as we enter Epcot.

Only time will tell!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #32
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We're doing a tour for the first time on this trip too! We'll be doing Keys to the Kingdom. I wanted to do Backstage Magic, but that really takes up your entire day, and DH and I will be doing it after our parents go back home. I didn't want to take up a whole entire park day that we have to ourselves for a tour! KTTK fit the bill of what we're looking for, so we're doing that one instead. I'm excited!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #33
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
So, after all of this planning to come up with surprises for DH and DM, I decided that it was time to plan something FOR ME!

Everyone has their WDW guilty pleasures, right? Well mine is "Living with the Land" in The Land pavillion in Epcot. I think it smells horrible---but for some reason I just have to go on this ride every trip.

This time, I decided that for the $15 or so that it costs, we will take the "Behind the Seeds" tour instead! At first DM seemed to have no interest and actually told me that maybe she'd skip it and just hang out by herself for an hour. That's a no no though, this will be the first day of our trip and it will be spent together whether she likes it or not. She has come around though and decided that she'll do it as well.

On a Sunday morning when we plan to tour the World Showcase from the time it opens until the time is closes, I just figured the tour would be a nice thing to do for an hour before we start our plan to "Eat and Drink Around the World." (more on that later though)

This is, however, the one thing on the trip that I can see changing. I have been really interested in doing it for a while, but considering this will be our first park day, I just don't know if I'll be able to keep myself from running onto the rides as soon as we enter Epcot.

Only time will tell!
We're doing that tour too! 2 weeks from today. My mom LOVES gardening stuff and so does my dad so it's my present for them. Eric is going to go on the Land ride with Madeline while we do the tour.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I wanted to do Backstage Magic, but that really takes up your entire day, and DH and I will be doing it after our parents go back home. I didn't want to take up a whole entire park day that we have to ourselves for a tour! KTTK fit the bill of what we're looking for, so we're doing that one instead. I'm excited!
This was my logic exactly and to be honest, I'm still hesistant about giving up 5 whole hours. We have one full day planned in MK with a 3 hour break for resort touring and then almost the whole evening will be parades, fireworks, etc. We have our departure day scheduled for MK as well and this is when we would be doing the tour, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just save the time and enjoy our last day meandering around Main Street and finishing up any attractions we missed. What do you think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
We're doing that tour too!
Looking forward to a review of it when you get back. I wanted to add a few "special" things into this trip that we wouldn't usually do and while the reviews on Allearsnet are helpful, I usually like hearing them from someone I "know" (i.e. someone I can ask a million questions to and see pictures from) Definitely let me know how it goes!!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #35
annnewjerz

Starting the "random thought" portion of my PTR.

So, in an effort not to write a novel for every single entry---I am going to leave the lengthy entries for stuff I would consider important (i.e. Food, Tours, Itinerary, Food, etc.)

All of the other crap I find popping into my head everyday, I am going to make a "random thoughts" posting for.

Here's the first one:

I have decided that I'm mad at Disney. If they kept the ADR booking window at 180 days, I would be a mere 46 days from booking my dining reservations instead of a whopping 136!!!

WHAT am I supposed to do over the next 136 days to keep myself occupied?? Oh boy...
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #36
annnewjerz

Ordered my first shoes today.

Took some advice off of another thread and ordered some flip flops made by Reef. Zappos had a good deal, get two pairs for $27 with free shipping, so I figured I'd give them a shot. If they aren't comfortable for all-day wear, no biggie---who doesn't need another pair of flip flops for the summer?

Here's what I got. The black for matching with everything and even though typically I hate hot pink, I if they are the color as they appear on my monitor, I don't mind it that much and thought it might be fun for Disney to have a cheerier color than black.

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-29-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

I'm subbing! I saw your link in another PTR I'm following and noticed your dates. My sister and I just decided on doing a December trip last night!!! The first couple weeks of December are the BEST time to go to WDW. It's so beautiful and the crowds are pretty low.

I see you're renting DVC points. I'm doing that for our August trip, and hope to for our December trip as well. Do you know the person you're renting from, or did you find them online? I was amazed at how easy the process was. Plus...we got points cheaper than it was going to cost staying at Pop! I was so excited!! We're staying at VWL in August, and hoping for AKV in December.

You should definitely get some trader pins on eBay. I've quickly gotten sucked into pin trading and I get a ton on eBay to take with me to trade in the parks. Be careful, though. Some sellers have scrappers (or fake pins) on there. I've had some pretty good luck, though. I can give you the names of sellers I've used in the past if you want.

And one more thing before I make this reply a complete novel...I own a pair of those Malindi Crocs. They are really comfy! DH thinks they look hideous, though. Psh, what does he know...right?

Forgot to mention...I think it's cool you're taking your DM with you guys. My Dad passed away back in 2003 and my Mom still has a rough time. She loves when we drag her to Disney with us!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #38
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
I'm subbing! I saw your link in another PTR I'm following and noticed your dates. My sister and I just decided on doing a December trip last night!!! The first couple weeks of December are the BEST time to go to WDW. It's so beautiful and the crowds are pretty low.
Apparently, I've been in early December before. I remember going for POP Warner week (yes, I was one of those kids) but really don't remember any decorations, any special things like the Osborne lights, etc. I'm really excited to go at an age where I can really enjoy it this time.

Quote:
I see you're renting DVC points. I'm doing that for our August trip, and hope to for our December trip as well. Do you know the person you're renting from, or did you find them online?
We are renting points from someone over on the Photo Board named Laura. She had asked a question about AV cables to review her photos in the Boardwalk and I told her how lucky she was to stay there and that it was our "Disney dream" to do so. She then informed me that she was a DVCer and it was her home resort and competely joking I mentioned renting points to me----well, fast forward a few months and she did just that!!!

It is absolutely dirt cheap to rent them. We booked one night at POP for $90 with AAA discount and then the rest of the nights at BWV for $95 per night, how can you beat it?

Quote:
You should definitely get some trader pins on eBay. I've quickly gotten sucked into pin trading and I get a ton on eBay to take with me to trade in the parks. Be careful, though. Some sellers have scrappers (or fake pins) on there.
I've purchased 40 pins on e-bay already. I'm no pin expert (in fact, I'm a compete newb) but all of them look authentic to me. I have a few "themes" that I'd like to add to when we go in December and then I'll probably buy some cheapies to trade. Right now, my designated themes to look for in WDW are Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain and Chip & Dale. I also have all of the Vinylmation ones, but since there are only 10 available and I have them---I guess there will be no trading necessary.

Quote:
I own a pair of those Malindi Crocs. They are really comfy! DH thinks they look hideous, though. Psh, what does he know...right?
I ordered 2 pairs of the Reef flip flops and bought another pair by Vineyard Vines that seems to have some arch support---but I'm probably going to test one more type of shoe out and the Malindi might just be it! What color do you have? DH thinks all of my flats look like Grandma shoes (even the leopard print ones) so I can't really rely on him for fashion advice---plus it's Disney. While I care---I don't care that much

Quote:
I think it's cool you're taking your DM with you guys. My Dad passed away back in 2003 and my Mom still has a rough time. She loves when we drag her to Disney with us!
Thanks! My Dad passed away three weeks before my wedding in late 2005 and it was really rough, but after 3 or 4 years, it has gotten much easier. There are still days (and always will be) that we miss him like crazy and wish he was still around (he was only 49 when he died) but it is definitely easier than it used to be.

I'm hoping DM will really enjoy the trip. She has been to WDW two times when we were little and loved it and I think with all of the "special" stuff Christmas offers, as well as the extras I have planned---it'll definitely be a trip she'll remember.

Now that I have written my own novel---thanks for hopping on board and hopefully I have some fun stuff to update with sooner or later!!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #39
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I like the flops! What material is the strap? You'll have to let us know if they're comfortable!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I like the flops! What material is the strap? You'll have to let us know if they're comfortable!
I think the straps are rubber. I'm not a huge fan of the foam-y flip flops, so I went with two pairs of rubbery ones hoping that they might be better if it is wet---like on a wet ride? Who knows! Basically, I liked the colors and I liked the price, only like $12 each pair.

The Vineyard Vines flip flops I picked up yesterday were on clearance for $10 (marked down from $40). They aren't exactly my cup of tea (they're foam with thicker straps and blue, I'm not a big fan of blue)---but they did have built in arch support, which I thought might be good for all-day walking around WDW. Too clunky to wear with a skirt or dress probably.

Here they are (very similar---the strap is blue instead of green, but you get the point):

My one concern now is that I will wear these pairs all summer because I want to break them in and they're comfy and instead---I'll end up wearing them out and need to buy more! Oh well---what are you gonna do, right?

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-30-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #41
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Isn't it funny how you can be completely unobservant as a kid? I often wonder how I even made it to adulthood. You're going to love it!! I could just sit and gawk at the Osborne lights the entire time. Although, word of advice...close your mouth when looking up at the fake snow. Mine was open (don't ask) and I got a mouthful of fake snow.

That is great how it just sort of fell into place! It's even better when you're able to stay deluxe at a value price. I was pricing it out on the official Disney site, and for five nights at VWL it would've cost over $1800 in August. That is just obscene...and I'm way too poor for that.

Btw, I have a few of those Vinylmation ones if you'd want to trade with me. I know I have the Kermit and I'm not sure what the other ones are. I can go home and check though, if you're interested. I was just planning on trading them at the parks.

HA! Guys just don't understand the concept of flats or their appeal. I feel the same way, I don't want to look TOO crazy, but I want to be comfy and have a good time...even if it is in my grandma shoes! Btw, the Malindi's are super comfy! I have them in black and I love them. I wore them to the parks last October and they were perfect!

Oh man, I can't imagine how hard that must've been right before your wedding. I got married three years after my Dad had passed and I was still blubbering like a fool when I walked down the aisle. I think the loss of a parent is something that you never quite get over. You just learn to cope in better ways.

Sorry, I did it...again! Promise not to do it three times.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #42
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
So, in an effort not to write a novel for every single entry---I am going to leave the lengthy entries for stuff I would consider important (i.e. Food, Tours, Itinerary, Food, etc.)

All of the other crap I find popping into my head everyday, I am going to make a "random thoughts" posting for.

Here's the first one:

I have decided that I'm mad at Disney. If they kept the ADR booking window at 180 days, I would be a mere 46 days from booking my dining reservations instead of a whopping 136!!!

WHAT am I supposed to do over the next 136 days to keep myself occupied?? Oh boy...
Oh I hear you on this and I feel your pain. I figured I had at least 1 countdown that was under 100 days and then I got hit with this news yesterday as well, now can't make ADR's until October 10th. They just keep dangling that carrot infront of my face then pulling it away.

OK so for you the 136 days can be spent in many ways, I plan to twiddle my thumbs and sigh a lot.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #43
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
Btw, I have a few of those Vinylmation ones if you'd want to trade with me. I know I have the Kermit and I'm not sure what the other ones are. I can go home and check though, if you're interested. I was just planning on trading them at the parks.

Oh man, I can't imagine how hard that must've been right before your wedding. I got married three years after my Dad had passed and I was still blubbering like a fool when I walked down the aisle. I think the loss of a parent is something that you never quite get over. You just learn to cope in better ways.

Sorry, I did it...again! Promise not to do it three times.
I am only missing the Upside Down Mickey---haven't found one worth bidding on yet on E-bay. If you happen to have that one, let me know and then I'll buy you a pin of your choosing since I don't really have any "traders" yet.

Yeah the wedding was rough, we had considered calling it off but with that much money invested---it didn't really seem like we should. I'm glad we didn't, I know my Dad would have been disappointed if we did and it turned out really well. The only part that really choked me up was my Father Daughter dance, we just played the song and all sat around (a moment of silence type of thing) but needless to say, it wasn't silent at all. Sobs, sniffles and messed up make-up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
OK so for you the 136 days can be spent in many ways, I plan to twiddle my thumbs and sigh a lot.
Twiddling my thumbs would at least only annoy me---what I plan to do to pass the time (which is talk non-stop at every given opportunity about the trip and every single detail) will annoy everyone around me, and that's a problem!!

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-30-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #44
annnewjerz

Okay so if you have read any of my PTR, you know that I had thought up some surprises for my DM for our trip in December. One of those was the Cirque du Soleil while in WDW.

I keep on going back and forth in my head about whether I should give her the voucher I designed for her birthday (May 24) or whether I should try to hold out as originally planned and not tell her that we are going to see the show until we arrive. There is always the possibility that if I don't give it to her for her birthday, I will end up spoiling the surprise before the trip comes in December in a completely stupid way (i.e. I get sick of waiting and just tell her, I let it slip in conversation, etc.)

So I need opinions---what do you think I should do:

A. Tell her
B. Keep it secret

Please let me know---DH is no help when it comes to this kind of stuff
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #45
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I say give it to her on her birthday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: