Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Our trips will overlap! We'll be there the 4th-14th. I was beginning to think I was crazy for starting a PTR so far in advance, so it's nice to see someone else as excited (or impatient?) as me!

Subscribing.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I was beginning to think I was crazy for starting a PTR so far in advance, so it's nice to see someone else as excited (or impatient?) as me!

Welcome!!

It's NEVER too early to start planning for a trip. Quite honestly, I have been planning it since before we were even booked last November, but didn't even think of doing a PTR---it's my first one and I'm liking it

Don't expect too much interesting to be going on, but I do like to write---so you can bet that if there is ANYTHING at all going on, I'll be writing about it.

I'll have to check out your PTR and see if we'll be doing anything the same.
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Don't expect too much interesting to be going on, but I do like to write---so you can bet that if there is ANYTHING at all going on, I'll be writing about it.
I totally could have written this myself! It's killing me that I don't have more to update about right now. MVMCP tickets go on sale soon...
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Nice start! I've never seen any of those pins. I like them! Congrats on getting your air travel booked.

I've been to Disney for Christmas lot. I always loved touring the hotels. Make sure you go in the front entrance of the Grand Floridian. They have (or at least they used to) chestnuts roasting on an open fire and choralers singing. It's wonderful! All the hotels also used to have hot cidar and cookies.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
annnewjerz

The never ending quest for comfortable shoes...

So one thing I have been trying to figure out recently was what type of shoes I plan to bring to WDW. I've never been in December before and am really confused about what should beon my feet. Should I wear sandals? Should I wear sneakers? WHO KNOWS!

Last trip in September 07 I brought along my sneakers and a bunch of flip flops. After a day in the sneakers, my feet were wet, sweaty and had blisters from all of the rubbing. I spent the remaining 5 days in flip flops and from what I recall, it couldn't have been that bad since I don't remember sitting to take breaks for aching feet, etc.

I am NOT a sneaker person---in my daily life I wear ballet flats and flip flops when the weather is warm and Uggs or other boots when the weather is cold.

My other area of concern is that, while my trip isn't until December, if I plan to wear/bring/consider flip flops I need to buy them now so I can spend the nice warm summer weather breaking them in---can't do that in the fall/early winter in the Northeast!!

I have been looking through some threads on another board, and these are the flip flops/non-sneaker shoes I'm considering. If anyone has any input or opinions about one shoe over another, please let me know!!!

REEF brand flip flops (rubber instead of foam)

TEVA Betsy Thong

CROCS Captiva Sandals

CROCS Malindi Flats

I'll have to make my choice in about a month---until them I'm going to spend a few weekends shopping around in person and trying some cheaper flip flops on. The ones I wore around WDW were only about $10 and so comfy...but our dogs ate them (seriously).

While we're on the subject---these are our dogs, both 2 years old. They're a handful, and oftentimes a pain in my butt....but we love em.

Rocky

Mickey
Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I've been to Disney for Christmas lot. I always loved touring the hotels. Make sure you go in the front entrance of the Grand Floridian. They have (or at least they used to) chestnuts roasting on an open fire and choralers singing. It's wonderful! All the hotels also used to have hot cidar and cookies.

Since you are a December expert, I might as well ask you----is it warm enough to wear flip flops in December? I have read varying reports online and I know weather can be hit or miss....but in your experience, they are something I should pack at least one pair of---right???
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Definitely pack some flip flops but also pack what you would wear at home for the winter. I can honestly say that most of the times I've been (from 5th grade through college) at Christmas it was warm enough for shorts. There was one year though that it actually snowed! But I think on that same trip we were swimming. I don't remember a single trip where we weren't able to swim/wear shorts or at least short sleeves most of the time. You'll want to dress in layers because the morning will be cool but by about 10am it should be nice.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #23
khertz

I'm planning to bring both flip flops and tennis shoes when we go. I did mostly flip flops in October and only one pair of Old Navy ones seemed to cause any trouble (the strap was rubbing on the top of my foot in one spot), so I wore tennis shoes a couple of times to give my feet a break from the straps. I live in south Louisiana and can wear flip flops in December sometimes, so I'm thinking Orlando will be about the same!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention the flip flops I got about 2 weeks ago. They're Speedo flip flops. They are so comfortable! I go them on sale for $10 at Kohls.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I forgot to mention the flip flops I got about 2 weeks ago. They're Speedo flip flops. They are so comfortable! I go them on sale for $10 at Kohls.
Thanks for the recommendation---wish I would have caught that earlier, could have run out to look for a pair.

I'm glad to hear that (more oftentimes than not) December is still flip flops and t-shirt weather. We will be packing layers, and even bringing some heavier clothes that I would imagine you'd never need in Florida (gloves, scarves, under armor, etc.) Typically, when we go to FL it's Septemberish so we can just toss in a bathing suit, few pairs of shorts and tank tops and we're set---this will definitely be a different packing experience than usual.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #26
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Hi I'm here! Great start so far!

I am also interested in what people tell you about shoes - I hear ya on the blisters, etc, but my problem is that I have flat feet and so I also need a bit of support in a shoe...so I'll be looking at the recommendations that you get too

Have a good one!
Katie

Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

I too ponder the shoe thing- I'm in love with mary jane crocs, they fit my feet perfectly . I wore them for a week straight in the world last year, and i didn't have one blister or aching foot.
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Hi I'm here! Great start so far!

I am also interested in what people tell you about shoes - I hear ya on the blisters, etc, but my problem is that I have flat feet and so I also need a bit of support in a shoe...so I'll be looking at the recommendations that you get too

Have a good one!
Katie
Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
I too ponder the shoe thing- I'm in love with mary jane crocs, they fit my feet perfectly . I wore them for a week straight in the world last year, and i didn't have one blister or aching foot.
Who would have EVER thought it could be so hard to find a pair of shoes that is comfortable and reasonably attractive for walking around in? Not me!

My biggest concern is if it is warm enough to wear sundresses/shorts/whatever. If it's cool and I wear jeans, they will cover the ugly shoes that I wear----but if I have something short that shows them, that's where I run into the problem.

For now, I'm order a pair of Reefs and we'll see how I like those. I like that they're rubber instead of foam and if for some reason they turn out not comfortable enough to wear all day---I can still use them for the beach this summer.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #29
annnewjerz

Birthday surprise for my DM.

So, one of my main goals for this trip was to cook up a few surprises for my Mom, since this will be her first vacation it what seems like a lifetime (but really, it has probably been about 12 years). With Mother's Day and her birthday coming up---what more perfect an opportunity to surprise her with something for our long awaited trip??

Here is where the internal battle began. I really wanted to show up our first day and have my DH and DM not know what we are doing at all. Only then would I tell them about my plan to go to Cirque du Soleil in Downtown Disney. This is something my Mom has always wanted to do and I figured it would be the perfect chance to do so.

As time passed after thinking up this scheme, I ended up telling DH what I had planned. I mean, it was a surprise for my Mom after all, so what's the harm in telling DH---right? Now that the cat is out of the bag, I am finding it harder and harder to keep it from my Mom. I am HORRIBLE at keeping surprises, it's just not my thing. I have already almost slipped three times, it's really hard to keep calling it "your surprise" instead of "La Nouba" and I just feel like I am going to tell her sooner or later anyway, so I might as well do it in a somewhat special manner.

Here is what I have come up with. For her birthday, I think I am just going to give her a card with a voucher inside. Here is the voucher I designed (it will be cut in half horizontally to make it look more like a ticket) since I can't really buy Cirque tickets until June.

Thoughts???

Should I try to hold out as long as possible in hopes of keeping the surprise, or should I just give in and give her this? Either way, I know she is going to be thrilled and that's part of the reason I want to tell her---I want someone to share in my excitement over the next 8 months!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
annnewjerz

A Mother's Day surprise for my DM.

After thinking up the voucher idea for DM's birthday---I also designed one for Mother's Day, since that is right around the corner.

DM is notoriously difficult when it comes to gift buying. Everything we want to get her is "too expensive" or we should "spend the money on ourselves" etc etc. like I'm sure so many other Moms are.

So, I have decided that this year, I'm putting an end to it. She is going to let me buy her admission to the Cirque du Soleil and the Keys to the Kingdom tour whether she likes it or not!!!

Here is the voucher I came up with.

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-27-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: