DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Buckeye Fan
DIS Veteran

Live Trip Report from AKV (with pics)

Happy Good Friday, everyone!!! We started early this am...but we're here!

We left Columbus this morning at 8:00, which meant we had to be at the airport around 6:15. That seemed like a good idea when I booked the flight! When we left, the weather was pretty crappy. Boy, what a difference a 2 hour flight south makes! Orlando is absolutely beautiful. It is sunny, without a cloud in the sky.

We landed around 10:10, and caught the Magical Express. Boy were the check-in lines crowded at the airport. I waited in line about 15 minutes for ME, and then another 15 minutes for a bus. After that, we were on our way to the World! The ME bus stopped at Coronado Springs before going to AK. The bus emptied at CS! There was only one other couple and us going to AK.

We got to AK around 11:15, and went to the "on-line" check-in location. Everything was perfect, but I will qualify that I e-mailed MS prior to arriving. I wanted to make sure they linked our reservation (so we wouldn't have to check out, check back in), and that our request (savanna view) was noted on the reservation. Well...someone must have sprinkled some extra pixie dust on us, because our room is amazing! We couldn't get into it until after 3:00, but the location couldn't be better. We're in a 1-BR value in the Ostrich Trail section, room number 5116. It is AWESOME!!!

To blow some time (since we didn't have our suitcases), we went back to CS and ate at Pepper Market. For the first time ever, we were really disappointed. We all love PM. Food was good, but prices have changed pretty significantly. For lunch, we got 2 cheese quesadillas, nachos, baked pasta and 2 drinks. Our bill was over $70! I know...it's Dis. What do you expect? But...there are plenty of places we could have eaten for $70!!!

After CS, we came back to the hotel. We waited for about an hour, and our room was ready! All I can say is I think DH and DS have found their FAVORITE DVC. Now those of you who know me know that I've never met a DVC I didn't like. So of course, I think it's wonderful and now want to buy points! But, DH and DS really do love it. It reminds me a lot of VWL, with animals! I have to admit, I LOVE animals, but it just didn't seem that big of a deal. Well...it's really cool. Today, we saw a giraffe, two ostriches, a kudu and an impala! For those of you contemplating on whether the points are worth it or not for a savanna view, it is!

As for the value room, I don't notice a difference in space in the living area (we have a 1-BR), but the master bedroom is small. You can see in the pics below that the armoire, TV stand and desk are right up against each other. That's about the width of the room. You can barely shut the door without it hitting the bed, but it's not bad. I can see why they limit the room to 4. Any more than that would be too close for comfort. The one thing nice about the value rooms (or at least this one), is that they all used to be hotel rooms and have their own balconies. So, we actually have two balconies (the removed the divider between them). It's still narrow, but it's long.

Since we're beat from getting up so early this morning, we went to the pool, and then came back to the room for dinner. We had Garden Grocer (LOVE THEM) deliver groceries, and everything was on time and exactly as we ordered. This is the third time we've used them, and each time the order is accurate.

Tomorrow, I think we're going to Typhoon Lagoon. The bus driver told us today that both TL and BB reached capacity. I'm hoping after this weekend things thin out a little bit. We don't have reservations for dinner, so we probably will end up at either DTD or BW after the water park. Since spring break is so crowded, here's what we have planned (at least as I know it today):
* Water park and dinner at ESPN Zone (probably)
* Dinner at SSR Turf Club for Easter dinner
* MK on Monday - lunch at Cindy's Royal Table and dinner at the Plaza
* Boma on Tuesday (maybe Epcot)
* DHS and Mama Rosa's on TH
* Trail's End on Thursday (probably spend the last day enjoying the resort)
* Return home on Friday

Lastly, for those of you thinking of traveling during Easter, there are several Easter activities at AKV. They handed me a sheet at check-in that includes making an Easter bunny magnet, painting ostrich eggs ($30), meet and greet with Mickey and Minnie, Easter face painting and tattoos, arts and crafts, and a coloring contest. AKV also has different kids' activities (not associated with Easter - or at least I don't think) where you can earn up to 5 beads for activities for a small keepsake.

I will take pics and keep you guys posted, as I LOVE live trip reports. It tides me over, and makes me feel like I'm there! I hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by Buckeye Fan; 04-10-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Buckeye Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
MnMomW3Boys
Mouseketeer

Wow thanks for the TR, I am glad that you are having wonderful time thus far. Your TR will have to tide me over for the next 29 days.

MnMomW3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Looking forward to your pictures!

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
RCharnay
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to the pics. Thanks for sharing and HAVE FUN!
2008 - Nov - Hilton Head
2008 - December/Jan - OKW
2010-Jan-VWL
2011-Jan-OKW/BWV
2011-Mar-AK SV
2012-Mar & Dec-OKW
2013-Dec-OKW
2014-Jan & Mar & Oct & Dec-OKW
RCharnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
J&JAKV08
Mouseketeer

Thanks for keeping us updated with your TR. Looking forward to reading more and seeing pictures!! Enjoy!!

J&JAKV08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Buckeye Fan
DIS Veteran

AKV Lobby

Room - 1 BR Value on Ostrich Trail

Balcony and Room View

Our Friends

I believe this is Kidani (view from our room)

Pool

Last edited by Buckeye Fan; 04-10-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Buckeye Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
arthur06
DDC #689

Great Pics and TR so far! Enjoy your time and keep the updates coming!

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
5forDiz
DIS Veteran

Wow awesome pics

Hope you & your family have a great trip and looking forward to hearing more

Enjoy !
~Laura
5forDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Pennykay
DIS Veteran

Oh, those pics make me miss "home". Have a great trip and thanks for the update!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Those are great photos!! Thank you so much for posting them.

Makes me think maybe I should split my upcoming trip and see if I could get my last 3 nights at AKV. I should have already known to do that - I have stayed at AKV before and love it. BUT, I was able to get a BCV studio for 10 nights in early June and really don't relish the thought of packing and re-packing. What to do, what to do.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Great report so far!! Nice pics too. I will be curious to see what you think of the bus system, since you don't have a car with you. Sounds like your room is awesome...looking forward to more of your report!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Cyndibear
I love my DVC's!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful photo's and report. It makes me miss my home even more. It is great that you got a savannah view. I just love those views. It is worth it! We enjoy having our breakfast on the balcony watching the animals. What a peaceful way to start out the day.

Have fun, and I hope the crowds go away after Sunday!

Cyndi
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the report and pics.....keep 'em coming !

Maria

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for sharing them!! My daughter, son in law and grandsons are at SSR right now and I join them tuesday. Happy easter, have fun tomorrow!

Thanks eandesmom!!!
SunnieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Great pics? Any chance you could take a walk around Kidani and get pics of the pool?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: