Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Final questions for my DC trip (I hope)

Ok, it's looking like rain on Friday so I'm thinking we should do the memorials on Saturday. We'll be staying near the King St. Metro in Old Town and we'd like to do the Air & Space Museum and either the Museum of Natural History or Museum of American History on that day. Are they close to each other? I'm also not sure if the Smithsonian or L'Enfant metro stop is the best.

On Saturday, I was hoping to get a lot of the memorials in. My children are ages 4-9. Can they survive the walking or is Tourmobile a good idea? Also hoping to get in the Washington Monument and/or Capitol one of these days. If anyone has a clue how to incorporate that into the schedule, please let this clueless girl know.

Is the metro stroller accessible? I was thinking of doing without it, but I'm not sure how the four year old will handle it all.

We plan on spending Easter at the Zoo and then doing whatever we want for the rest of the day. If anyone knows of anything else kid friendly on that day, I'd love to know.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
LaraK
A wet monitor is the sign of a classic!
Uh oh...it's the Snarky Purple Fairy..everyone spell check!
Damnit! I AM a good girl!

Use the Smithsonian stop for the museums. All three are on the mall. Air and Space on one side and American and Natural History Museums on the other side. You can take strollers on the Metro...they have handicap accessability.
~~Any statements placed on this thread by said poster (heretofore The Poster) are mearly jesting and should and shall not be considered personal attacks of any posters posting within said thread nor were any posters not on this thread referenced and should, therefore, not consider this to be a personal attack of any nature, intent or thought. Further, no animals were actually harmed in the posting of this post. This poster is an equal opportunity rebutter and will request biting regardless of age, race or religion. Any names or faces represented in this post are fictional and not based on any actual people.~~
LaraK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

You may want to double check on the American History Museum. I think it may still be closed for renovations. Not to worry. Lots to see and do, and most of it free. Also be aware that there is a bag check at every museum. pack accordingly. I pack a very small bag with just the bare necessities.

Next trip .... 10/9/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
lvanleer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendies View Post
You may want to double check on the American History Museum. I think it may still be closed for renovations. Not to worry. Lots to see and do, and most of it free. Also be aware that there is a bag check at every museum. pack accordingly. I pack a very small bag with just the bare necessities.
Actually the American History Museum reopened I believe in February and according to their website is open for visitors....my favorite of all the museums on the mall.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

DC is a LOT of walking - on par with a day at WDW, depending how how ambitious your plans are for any given day. So a stroller might be useful - but imo only if it's something like a lightweight umbrella that can easily be folded and carried by one of the adults. We never used one when my son was that age (too much hassle) but our trips were just for the day and we always had a seat on Metro since we get on at the first stop. The metro stations in the City are way underground and you take long escalators down to get to them (and often those aren't working so you have to walk up and down).... there are elevators that can be used to access the stations but they can be a challenge to get to and/or use. Plus most of the memorials and museums have a number of steps to get into them.... again, there are handicapped ramps but in many cases it would be much easier to just fold a stroller and walk.

Slightly OT, the paths around the mall area are a mixture of cement sidewalk and cinder type material - the kind of stuff that gets in sandals and can bother little feet. I'd recommend comfortable shoes and socks for touring DC

Today is upper 70's and gorgeous! Flowering trees are in full bloom and turning to just past peak as the leaves are starting to pop out. Temps will moderate as the week goes on but it should still be comfortable here for playing tourists. Have fun!
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: