Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #271
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygal531 View Post
We stayed in the CR on our 2nd wedding anniversary. We had an MK view in the tower. To this day, every time we past the CR DH has to point our room out to me - last room on the far left, third from the top. We had an amazing fireworks view and even saw the castle from our bed by looking in the mirror - it was just over our right shoulders.

It's his favorite room location of all time.

So if you hear some whack-o on the monorail pointing to the CR and announcing to everyone where our room there was, that's my DH
Let's hope we're not on the same monorail or we'll be sharing memories. Our first Tower room was 10th floor, MK view over the 4th of July 1982.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #272
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

While the new game room is pretty neat by resort standards...it is nowhere near the size of the old one... It was really impressive and also was located right next to the CS area...

I am not crazy about the its new location either...

But I will say they did do a nice job on it...my kids always loved those tickets too...then we would end up with lots of "cool" souveniers to bring home!!!

Goofygal and Cinderumbrella I know where we will all be making quick coffee runs to!!

CR Fan I though the coffee area was still called Contemporary Grounds too...

When I stayed at the CR in December the CMs at the pool told me that there would be a whole splash area near where the pool slide is?? They also told me about the cabanas which are now available...

btw There were movies on the beach while we were there too...

Minnie&nana I love that Bay Lake view ...the CR was the very first disney resort for us too...very special memories...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #273
goofygal531
Always planning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I don't know how I have not noticed the arcade?? (or DS for that matter ) We ate at CM and CG in December too.
It's off to the side and pretty dark inside. Have you ever used the restrooms in that area before? It's to the right of the restrooms. It reminds me of a club, it's dark with loud music blasting all the time. Nothing like the arcade at the GF, which to my guys is not really an arcade

I guess you have to know it's there to see it. My DH was so happy to discover it on that floor! He's very happy with the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Let's hope we're not on the same monorail or we'll be sharing memories. Our first Tower room was 10th floor, MK view over the 4th of July 1982.
Yes, wonderful memories!

Our Disney Vacations
8/14 Yacht Club's Regatta Club • 8/13 Pop Century TWO WEEKS! • 2/13 Pop Century • 9/12 Port Orleans French Quarter • 8/12 Pop Century
• 10/11 Port Orleans French Quarter• 5/10 Wilderness Lodge (Mom&Boys) •6/09 Grand Floridian-Royal Palm Club •
11/08 Boardwalk's Innkeeper's Club• 6/08 Grand Floridian
11/07 Caribbean Beach • 2/06 Beach Club• 1/05 Polynesian •
5/02 Dixie Landings • 5/01 Contemporary/Wonder/Hard Rock Hotel • 5/00 Swan
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #274
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
While the new game room is pretty neat by resort standards...it is nowhere near the size of the old one... It was really impressive and also was located right next to the CS area...

I am not crazy about the its new location either...

But I will say they did do a nice job on it...my kids always loved those tickets too...then we would end up with lots of "cool" souveniers to bring home!!!
I agree the new arcade location is no where the same size as the old one, but compared to some other resorts with arcades this location is still bigger. Plus with the exception of keeping the pool tables, they were able to bring up a lot of the games from the previous location and it's great they kept the prize section.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #275
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Goofygal We were posting at the same time...oh ya that "arcade" at the GF...is just sort of a few games in a bad spot IMO...my guys always head over to the CR for some arcade time....

Cinderumbrrella Once your DS knows where the arcade is I'm sure he wont forget it!!!

CR Fan I'm glad that they kept the prize section too...the kids really love this...even the big kids!!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #276
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I admit, the "arcade" at the GF is a joke!!

POP's was a REALLY good size though (and DS loved it!) Thank goodness we are at WDW (his "Happy Place" ) or else he would probably want to stay there all day just to play!!

I am really eager to see if there are any pool changes in the next 7 weeks or so... the lack of theming at the CR pool is one of the reason's we have stayed away so long...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #277
goofygal531
Always planning...

Quote:
While the new game room is pretty neat by resort standards...it is nowhere near the size of the old one... It was really impressive and also was located right next to the CS area......
I didn't notice it was smaller now in it's new location. Then again, I'm rarely in there. I drop guys off at the door, or should I say they leave me in their dust as they run to the arcade from the elevator

Quote:
I am not crazy about the its new location either
It works for me since I can shop while they are in the arcade. I have found the coolest stuff in the CR gift shops. Unique items that's not sold everywhere. I love finding different WDW merchandise. I also found H2O Spa products there which I thought was odd since they're only used at the GF. But it was great for me since I forgot to pick up DH's shampoo while visiting the GF gift shop.

Quote:
Goofygal and Cinderumbrella I know where we will all be making quick coffee runs to
Not only can I ditch the guys in the arcade but I can shop with a latte! Hello CR!!! Here I come!

Quote:
When I stayed at the CR in December the CMs at the pool told me that there would be a whole splash area near where the pool slide is?? They also told me about the cabanas which are now available...

btw There were movies on the beach while we were there too... ......
Coffee, arcade and now a splash park. We know where we're staying next trip!

Quote:
Minnie&nana I love that Bay Lake view ...the CR was the very first disney resort for us too...very special memories...
Wow, my first WDW resort was the CR too!

Our Disney Vacations
8/14 Yacht Club's Regatta Club • 8/13 Pop Century TWO WEEKS! • 2/13 Pop Century • 9/12 Port Orleans French Quarter • 8/12 Pop Century
• 10/11 Port Orleans French Quarter• 5/10 Wilderness Lodge (Mom&Boys) •6/09 Grand Floridian-Royal Palm Club •
Old 04-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #278
goofygal531
Always planning...

Quote:
oh ya that "arcade" at the GF...is just sort of a few games in a bad spot IMO...!
Quote:
I admit, the "arcade" at the GF is a joke!! ..
I really think the GF forgot to add an arcade and just stuck the games in the CS restaurant. It's not an arcade by any means and it's the only resort arcade that looks like that. The others at least have dedicated game rooms. I actually HATE the games being there as it distracts my kids from eating.

Cinderumbrella: Have you discovered Disney Quest? My guys went there last trip and had the best time.

I don't think your DS would care about pool themeing. Any pool to a kid on a hot day is fun.

CR Fan: Have they done anything with the half wall between CM and the Contemp cafe? It was really annoying last Nov dining in CM and having children from the cafe hanging over the walls trying to see the characters. I've heard on several podcasts that the CR was aware of this being an issue, also a safety issue.

Our Disney Vacations
Old 04-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #279
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Cinderumbrella: Have you discovered Disney Quest? My guys went there last trip and had the best time.
I have not ventured over there yet (we aren't big DTD people and have never even BEEN to that side of it!) Maybe when he is older, for now I still want to ride Dumbo and all the other "little kid" stuff before he outgrows it

ETA: I forgot about the half wall by the Contempo- we sat on that side of CM last year and I do remember the kids...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #280
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

I think that the half wall was still there when we stopped to have a bite at the Contempo Cafe in February...which by the way has some nice things on the menu...maybe even Mr Picky will find something he likes...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #281
goofygal531
Always planning...

Quote:
I have not ventured over there yet (we aren't big DTD people and have never even BEEN to that side of it!) Maybe when he is older, for now I still want to ride Dumbo and all the other "little kid" stuff before he outgrows it

ETA: I forgot about the half wall by the Contempo- we sat on that side of CM last year and I do remember the kids...
Oh Disney Quest is fun! I went with DH ages ago. We enjoyed it back then just the two of us. He took DS5 this past Nov on a rainy day. It was a tornado-watch rainy day! They loved it. There's tons there to do for the little ones, there's five floors of games! I love the virtual POTC and Magic Carpets. It's fun. Cirque is also fantastic and Bongos Cafe has yummy snacks available at their togo window, if you like Cuban food.

Quote:
I think that the half wall was still there when we stopped to have a bite at the Contempo Cafe in February...which by the way has some nice things on the menu...maybe even Mr Picky will find something he likes...
I'm looking forward to trying the Contempo Cafe, the food looks good!

Our Disney Vacations
Old 04-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #282
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
CR Fan: Have they done anything with the half wall between CM and the Contemp cafe? It was really annoying last Nov dining in CM and having children from the cafe hanging over the walls trying to see the characters. I've heard on several podcasts that the CR was aware of this being an issue, also a safety issue.
Honestly I have not heard of them doing this and until you mentioned it I had no idea this was even an issue.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #283
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh Disney Quest is fun! I went with DH ages ago. We enjoyed it back then just the two of us. He took DS5 this past Nov on a rainy day. It was a tornado-watch rainy day! They loved it. There's tons there to do for the little ones, there's five floors of games! I love the virtual POTC and Magic Carpets. It's fun. Cirque is also fantastic and Bongos Cafe has yummy snacks available at their togo window, if you like Cuban food.

I'm looking forward to trying the Contempo Cafe, the food looks good!
So you recommend DisneyQuest? We've never gone over there ... just always visited the arcade at CR, whether or not we were staying there. I do agree that the old arcade was better, but I still think the CR has the best resort arcade on property (though I think Pop's is a pretty close second). Our ds is 16, so I thought DQ might be more fun for him this year, having more to offer than just a regular arcade. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra admission.

On a CR-related note, we just today switched our reservation to the CR from the GF RPC. We're doing a kitchen renovation (my new cabinets come tomorrow, yay!) and I wanted to save some money, so we're now booked in a Bay Lake view room. It popped up on the website this afternoon and I grabbed it before it was gone again. I hope we like the view ... we've only been in the garden wings or had MK view before.

And goofygal, our (very picky) family was very happy with the food at Contempo Cafe. We liked it better than Captain Cook's and Gasparilla Grill ... I think it's got the most variety of any deluxe resort quick service.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #284
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie921 View Post
On a CR-related note, we just today switched our reservation to the CR from the GF RPC. We're doing a kitchen renovation (my new cabinets come tomorrow, yay!) and I wanted to save some money, so we're now booked in a Bay Lake view room. It popped up on the website this afternoon and I grabbed it before it was gone again. I hope we like the view ... we've only been in the garden wings or had MK view before.
Have a great time and enjoy the Bay Lake View.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #285
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Pixie, congrats on your switch!! I am sure you will like the view (how can you not after some of the pictures posted here!!)

We love, love, love the GF (although we always stay in one of the outer lodges, not RPC) but I am REALLY excited to try CR!! We have booked it 3 other times in the past and have always changed (usually to the GF and ALWAYS at DH's insistance!) DS has always wanted to stay at the CR (ever since he first saw the monorail "disappear" inside when standing near MK!). Since DH isn't going this trip, I figured this was a perfect time to try it!!!

Also, not sure if I ever mentioned this on this thread, but the trip is a SURPRISE!! DS won't even find out we are going until 3 days before we leave And for me and my big mouth, keeping this a secret this long is something!! (Especially since I just booked his favorite resort!!! )

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: