Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #1351
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Yes she will! Unfortunately, I won't have a laptop on vacation to send a live update. Carlnix is there as we speak and perhaps he will see the post and provide the toothpaste information.

My bags are packed. . .I'm ready to go. . .housecleaning and other fun stuff first though.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
Tess, have a wonderful time at the Poly! You must be SO excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseturtle View Post
So, after months of anticipation and research (yes I read every post on this thread!) I was very excited to be here but I've become disenchanted with my experience at the Poly.

When we checked in, there was evidence of a previous Guest (trip planner from January! Phone charger, popcorn kernels on the floor, etc) I brought that to housekeeping's attention and they fixed it...then there was the matter of the ferry horn, which I decided to live with and count as a reminder that I'm on the beach..

BUT the final straw...

When we went to bed on Friday night, I noticed a small baby spider in my bed! I HATE spiders!! When my son heard me shriek he got freaked and checked HIS bed and he had one too! Tiny little thing but creepy all the same.

We had to sleep because it was LATE but my nightmares didnt help and I itched all night. When I called the desk to report it her response was (ready for this?) ARE YOU SURE THEY WERE SPIDERS??? OMG that did it, I simply could not stay another night.

I found another bug on the desk as we were packing up. Not sure if it was due to the poor housekeeping we experienced. I loved the Poly grounds and location...but spiders in the bed is where I draw the line! I hate to complain but I spent sooo much money on this vacation and need to be comfortable.

We've moved over to the Grand Floridian and it's heaven. Finally feel like I've got my Disney magic.

Hope nobody else has an experience like this!! After this I don't think I'd return to the Poly.
Mouseturtle, Sorry the Poly did live up to your expectations... We were there in April and I didn't see any bugs at all. I hope your stay at the GF makes you happy. We've stayed at both and love them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
hello all! And ALOHA to all poly addicts!

Yes toothpaste and all toiletries are here in cl ! And wow the staff is here too! They take care of any and all your needs! Tess cl staff says aloha and seem very happy to see your on your way! What personal service! The sun is shining the birds are singing and the flowers are blooming! Sorry to hear about the security guard mixup! I just believe be was trying to politley say get your kids out of the lagoon. And when you didn't, he got frustrated. Haven't had any off experiences with staff or transportation. Walking on every ride, and cleanliness of room, not an issue! Rooms dark? I LOVE the room lighting ambiance! I think the gf has bright lights in their rooms! The club lounge has great staff! Some have been here for 15 years or longer! Food good even the gummy sharks. Our upgraded from clgv to cllv almost made my wife cry! (it seems as if they move the castle) one minute it looks as if you could reach out and touch it, other times it seems very far away! Anyone else notice that? Gotta go the volcano and mr sun is calling! ALOHA!
carlnix, glad you are having such a great time! I thought that the CL staff at the Poly were fantastic. Very courteous, friendly, and helpful. And we had excellent mousekeeping each day, too.

I thought that the "darkness" of the rooms was so relaxing after running around in the sun. I wouldn't change them at all.

Enjoy your time at the volcano pool -- wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
I also wanted to say Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow Poly loving Moms!
Thank you... And HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to everyone, too!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #1352
blondemom
Mouseketeer

Hi, everyone! I am heading to the Polynesian 8/23! It's getting closer! I haven't been to the Polynesian in about 8 years. We went to the Wilderness Lodge several times (and, it's fantastic). However, my husband put his foot down and wanted to go back to the Polynesian! The room size is wonderful. We love the transportation as well. We also eat at 'Ohana several times during our trips.

Question, does anyone still fax over requests? I made note on my reservation, and I know nothing is guaranteed. However, we will be celebrating our 15-year wedding anniversary, and really would love to have a room with a balcony! We are pretty low maintenance people and that would make us very happy!

I know there is a bad Polynesian story to follow every good one, but I'm not concerned. I will make my own story! I will ask, though, how the Neverland Club is. I have two boys, 11 and 6. Do they have video games? As I mentioned, it has been a long time since we have been there...

I'm really excited my trip is approaching so quickly (we booked last August). I really love this thread, by the way. I am trying to get through it, but - WOW - it's long!!!

Lisa
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #1353
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondemom View Post
Hi, everyone! I am heading to the Polynesian 8/23! It's getting closer! I haven't been to the Polynesian in about 8 years. We went to the Wilderness Lodge several times (and, it's fantastic). However, my husband put his foot down and wanted to go back to the Polynesian! The room size is wonderful. We love the transportation as well. We also eat at 'Ohana several times during our trips.

Question, does anyone still fax over requests? I made note on my reservation, and I know nothing is guaranteed. However, we will be celebrating our 15-year wedding anniversary, and really would love to have a room with a balcony! We are pretty low maintenance people and that would make us very happy!

I know there is a bad Polynesian story to follow every good one, but I'm not concerned. I will make my own story! I will ask, though, how the Neverland Club is. I have two boys, 11 and 6. Do they have video games? As I mentioned, it has been a long time since we have been there...

I'm really excited my trip is approaching so quickly (we booked last August). I really love this thread, by the way. I am trying to get through it, but - WOW - it's long!!!

Lisa
We had a wonderful stay at the Poly -- you are right -- those room sizes are great! We thought it was relaxing, fun, and had great theming. I hope you have a great time there!

I agree -- this thread it long!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #1354
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Lisa

Hi Lisa ! You will have a great time at the Poly.

R/E Neverland Club. My girls(10 and 8) loved it so much we took them back a second time. Yes--they have arcade style video games and Wii. I think my daughter said they had Wii sports? They do lots of arts and crafts too if your boys like that. The ratio of staff to kids is awesome. We felt totally comfortable leaving our girls there and my youngest DD is high-functioning autistic with food allergies. They put a wristband on her noting her food allergies. As parents, we were able to pick their food choices for dinner and then they also served a snack of goldfish and juice? later in the evening. We did not get a beeper but they wrote down both of our cell numbers and where we were spending our evening.

Even after 2 nights at the Neverland Club, the girls wanted to go back a 3rd time...unfortunately our wallet could not accomodate. Very funny, we went to Portofino Bay Hotel after Disney for a few days and my youngest asked every night to go to the Neverland Club. She didn't quite get we were in a different resort area. I think they would have ditched us every night for the Neverland Club if we would allow it

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #1355
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel girl 1975 View Post
We just got back and stayed CL. We got a toothbrush, but no toothpaste. They might get you some if you asked though.
the tooth brush comes with a little bitty tube of toothpaste in the box but it is so little you could miss it and throw it away!

If you are not in CL you can ask front desk for just about any bath items IE razors, toothbrush tooth paste.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #1356
starstruck93
DIS Veteran

I LOVE this thread!!! Nice job on it! We're going to be at the Poly Sept. 9-16. We have a Garden View room. Can someone give me an example of this room and also, If I were to request a room near the Volcano Pool and the concierge (an upgrade) what building or room would you suggest? We have a 3 year old and would prefer a ground level room. Thanks so much! April
Part II DS 2nd trip to WDW Dec. 2009
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...hbookpart2.flv
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #1357
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
I also wanted to say Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow Poly loving Moms!
Thank you very much BreezysMom and same to you BTW, I love your new Profile Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
carlnix, glad you are having such a great time! I thought that the CL staff at the Poly were fantastic. Very courteous, friendly, and helpful. And we had excellent mousekeeping each day, too.

I thought that the "darkness" of the rooms was so relaxing after running around in the sun. I wouldn't change them at all.
Ditto!

Quote:

Lisa
Congratulations on your upcoming trip and on your 15th wedding anniversary Absolutely you should request a balcony! I do hear of people still faxing their requests. You've got it on your res and I would go ahead and fax 4 or 5 days before you check in and then double-check at check-in that you've been given a room with a balcony. If not, ask to be moved, if possible. I'm sure they will accomodate you.

DD has always loved the Neverland Club. YES, they do have video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck93 View Post
I LOVE this thread!!! Nice job on it! We're going to be at the Poly Sept. 9-16. We have a Garden View room. Can someone give me an example of this room and also, If I were to request a room near the Volcano Pool and the concierge (an upgrade) what building or room would you suggest? We have a 3 year old and would prefer a ground level room. Thanks so much! April
For a Garden View room very close to the Volcano pool, request Samoa or Niue Here are some pics of our room in Niue in March:

This is from last summer - but same bathroom and beds...

Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #1358
momjkm
DIS Veteran

neverland club

Does anyone know if the neverland club is up to 12 or including the age of 12??
Jill
Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #1359
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Hi all, we're back from another wonderful stay at the Polynesian!!! Gorgeous, of course, so peaceful and relaxing!!

When we checked in, we were given a 2nd floor room in Fiji - I had requested a 1st floor room, Tokelau, east side. I asked if something would be available later (it was only about 11:30 AM), but nothing for that day. She said we could get our exact request the next day. I wasn't thrilled about changing rooms - we had planned the entire 1st day for the resort, including unpacking and settling in - but really wanted Tokelau, so we said we'd do that. So glad we did. The Fiji room was nice, of course,(great beach view) but I much prefer the Tokelau location in the resort and also NO balcony or patio would NOT have worked for us for an entire week. We need the extra space, I would've gone nuts not being able to step outside.

The next day we moved to room 1917 in Tokelau, just doors down from where we stayed last time (1922) and it was even more wonderful. Water views just off the patio, big grassy area. Just heaven for us!!

Kids absolutely loved the Volcano Pool again, that slide is such a hit with them. Pool was a bit crowded mid-day Friday, Sat, Sun, then it seemed calmer the rest of the week.

Someone asked about Tiki-style cabanas on the beach. I don't think they're there. There were canvas-type hut sort-of cabana things, not sure hot to describe them, like a half-sphere. Brown color - same as the blue/white striped ones at the GF. I don't think that's what you meant? They don't look like much and didn't seem to be reservable or anything.

Only one Customer Service issue. Took DS to use the 30 minute arcade card one afternoon while DD napped. He played one game and then it wouldn't work at any others - kept saying Locked Out. Tried for a few minutes, then tried to call on the phone they have right there for "Arcade Assistance". No luck, it kept disconnecting on me. Walked to Captain Cook's - they said ask at the front desk. Went to the desk, they said, no you have to ask at the Marina. I was pretty irritated at this point, probably 15 minutes had passed while we got passed around, I just wanted to sit and relax, let him play. Luckily, we got a nice guy at the Marina who walked over to the arcade with us. The card then worked. He said sometimes the games don't "close out" right - even though DS was done with the game, it said Game Over, etc, and it was minutes later, it was still locking him out of other games. He gave him a whole new card since we had lost so much time. He enjoyed it, the Lock Out thing happened again, but only for about a minute this time. It would be nice if they could make that better - if you only have 30 mins and the games take so long to let you play another, you lose a good chunk of time. It was fine, DS had fun.

Trying to think of anything else....loved the monorail convenience again, the landscaping is just stunning, one of my favorite things about the Poly. Loved watching Wishes and the EWP right there (we did do Wishes in the park one night - DD loved seeing Tink!). We really enjoy the path to the TTC, probably crazy, but we think it's nice.

I think that's all. I'd be happy to answer any questions - Poly related or otherwise!!

Oh, yeah, just remembered... FOOD!!! We enjoyed Captain Cook's again, ate there several times. I really liked the Aloha Pork sandwich and the Hawaiin flatbread. DH liked the Turkey sandwich. Loved getting our chocolate crossaints and Dole Whips each day!

Kona...a disappointment this time, unfortunately. Last trip - our 2nd fave. This time - slow service, my steak and his Prime Rib were just so-so, Kileau Torte was VERY dry. Not an awful meal, but not great. We'll probably skip this next time Maybe they can get it better again, I really missed the filet. Mashed potatoes were still great!

Ohana - first time here - dinner. We really liked it. The meats were just OK, quite dry, but good with the sauces. But we LOVED all the sides! The pork wontons and wings were huge hits. My son LOVED the wings. Noodles were Very good, DD and I ate a lot of those. Enjoyed the veggies and the salad too. Dessert was DELICIOUS! Excellent service, fun atmosphere. DD participated in the Maracas parade and the limbo.

One last thing - they are doing some work. I think Tonga was closed when we arrived - no lights in any rooms at night. Also saw them painting the roof of I think, Hawaii - it was still open though.

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #1360
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym718 View Post
Hi all, we're back from another wonderful stay at the Polynesian!!! Gorgeous, of course, so peaceful and relaxing!!

When we checked in, we were given a 2nd floor room in Fiji - I had requested a 1st floor room, Tokelau, east side. I asked if something would be available later (it was only about 11:30 AM), but nothing for that day. She said we could get our exact request the next day. I wasn't thrilled about changing rooms - we had planned the entire 1st day for the resort, including unpacking and settling in - but really wanted Tokelau, so we said we'd do that. So glad we did. The Fiji room was nice, of course,(great beach view) but I much prefer the Tokelau location in the resort and also NO balcony or patio would NOT have worked for us for an entire week. We need the extra space, I would've gone nuts not being able to step outside.

The next day we moved to room 1917 in Tokelau, just doors down from where we stayed last time (1922) and it was even more wonderful. Water views just off the patio, big grassy area. Just heaven for us!!

Kids absolutely loved the Volcano Pool again, that slide is such a hit with them. Pool was a bit crowded mid-day Friday, Sat, Sun, then it seemed calmer the rest of the week.

Someone asked about Tiki-style cabanas on the beach. I don't think they're there. There were canvas-type hut sort-of cabana things, not sure hot to describe them, like a half-sphere. Brown color - same as the blue/white striped ones at the GF. I don't think that's what you meant? They don't look like much and didn't seem to be reservable or anything.

Only one Customer Service issue. Took DS to use the 30 minute arcade card one afternoon while DD napped. He played one game and then it wouldn't work at any others - kept saying Locked Out. Tried for a few minutes, then tried to call on the phone they have right there for "Arcade Assistance". No luck, it kept disconnecting on me. Walked to Captain Cook's - they said ask at the front desk. Went to the desk, they said, no you have to ask at the Marina. I was pretty irritated at this point, probably 15 minutes had passed while we got passed around, I just wanted to sit and relax, let him play. Luckily, we got a nice guy at the Marina who walked over to the arcade with us. The card then worked. He said sometimes the games don't "close out" right - even though DS was done with the game, it said Game Over, etc, and it was minutes later, it was still locking him out of other games. He gave him a whole new card since we had lost so much time. He enjoyed it, the Lock Out thing happened again, but only for about a minute this time. It would be nice if they could make that better - if you only have 30 mins and the games take so long to let you play another, you lose a good chunk of time. It was fine, DS had fun.

Trying to think of anything else....loved the monorail convenience again, the landscaping is just stunning, one of my favorite things about the Poly. Loved watching Wishes and the EWP right there (we did do Wishes in the park one night - DD loved seeing Tink!). We really enjoy the path to the TTC, probably crazy, but we think it's nice.

I think that's all. I'd be happy to answer any questions - Poly related or otherwise!!

Oh, yeah, just remembered... FOOD!!! We enjoyed Captain Cook's again, ate there several times. I really liked the Aloha Pork sandwich and the Hawaiin flatbread. DH liked the Turkey sandwich. Loved getting our chocolate crossaints and Dole Whips each day!

Kona...a disappointment this time, unfortunately. Last trip - our 2nd fave. This time - slow service, my steak and his Prime Rib were just so-so, Kileau Torte was VERY dry. Not an awful meal, but not great. We'll probably skip this next time Maybe they can get it better again, I really missed the filet. Mashed potatoes were still great!

Ohana - first time here - dinner. We really liked it. The meats were just OK, quite dry, but good with the sauces. But we LOVED all the sides! The pork wontons and wings were huge hits. My son LOVED the wings. Noodles were Very good, DD and I ate a lot of those. Enjoyed the veggies and the salad too. Dessert was DELICIOUS! Excellent service, fun atmosphere. DD participated in the Maracas parade and the limbo.

One last thing - they are doing some work. I think Tonga was closed when we arrived - no lights in any rooms at night. Also saw them painting the roof of I think, Hawaii - it was still open though.
Thanks for posting that very detailed trip report.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #1361
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym718 View Post
I think this has become a recurring complaint. I have a read a few people have had problems.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1362
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Thank you very much BreezysMom and same to you BTW, I love your new Profile Pic

Thanks! That is our little Poly! She is cute but little stinker all the same. We got her about a month after we came back from our first trip. DD got to name her and that is what she chose.
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #1363
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

sandym718--Dh had same issue with our card. He took girls there one evening and it was a bust--total waste. He got it to work on one or two machines. Kids were disappointed. It's a bad set up.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #1364
momjkm
DIS Veteran

Transportation from Poly question: There are buses to DtD, DHD and AK from Poly. Are these same buses at the TTC and if our room is close to the TTC, would it be smarter to walk to TTC or the bus depot at the Poly?
Also, how long, time wise once on the bus, to these places? (DTD,DHD,AK)

FInally, if I want to go to a resort, can I get a bus there from the TTC or do I have to go to a park 1st? like MK?

Jill
Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #1365
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Quote:
I will ask, though, how the Neverland Club is. I have two boys, 11 and 6. Do they have video games? As I mentioned, it has been a long time since we have been there...
The Neverland Club does indeed have videogames. When my nephew got to stay there with my DD, all he could talk about was all the Playstation games they had. To this day he still talks about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
I think they would have ditched us every night for the Neverland Club if we would allow it
I know mine would. Once I picked her up a few hours earlier than normal and she got *upset* with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjkm View Post
Does anyone know if the neverland club is up to 12 or including the age of 12??
Jill
It is up to and including the age of 12.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: