Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
wdw-ocd
DIS Veteran

Stateroom question

Newbie here, so please keep the laughter to a minimum!

Are some staterooms and decks better than others? Obviously the suites with the balconies and ocean views are better than the inside cabins, but is one side of the ship "better" than the other for any reason?

TIA
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
luv2plan
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if one side is better than the other, although we were on the right side (facing forward) and could see the Flying Dutchman at Castaway Cay.
And I would pick a room closer to the back of the ship. It is much easier to get to the drink station & food counters.
We were on the 7th deck & liked it very much. It was just two decks down to the kids club & two decks up to the pool, drink & food.

Happy planning!
8 Resorts & 53 Total Days spent at Walt Disney World ~~ October 2011 Beach Club, MNSSHP & Disney DREAM!! ~~ March 2011 SURPRISE TRIP! WL ~~ March 2010 CBR Pirate Room ~~ Dec 2009 WL, MVMCP, DH went too! ~~ Mar 2009 Beach Club & Disney Wonder w/my Dad ~~ Jan 2008 Saratoga Springs ~~ Oct 2007 Poly & POR w/my Mom MNSSHP ~~ Oct 2005 Poly & POFQ w/in-laws MNSSHP ~~ Feb 2005 AKL & Disney Wonder ~~ Jan 2003 Beach Club with my little boy and MIL ~~ May 2002 First WDW Vacation in 20yrs Poly Con with my little boy and DH ~~ 1997-2007 San Diego resident & countless visits to DLR
luv2plan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
dizzi
DIS Veteran

If you know what you want to see when in ports i guess it matters.

But what happens if they pull in the opposite way than you expected.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Personally we enjoyed the port side of the ship at Castaway Cay. We enjoyed watching them get the island ready for the guests, watching the load up the supplies at the end of the day. We had an island view last time and didn't enjoy it as much.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
cindy18
DIS Veteran

We've been on both sides of the ship and it didn't really matter. We were on the island, not the port, side for pulling into Castaway Cay, but we went up to Deck 9 aft and watched as the ship backed in and the island got closer and closer, and that was terrific. We like being midship.
cindy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

We were in a cat 5 on deck 7 aft on the right side of the ship (facing foward)and loved that location. We were just a few doors down from the laundry, so it was easy to check and see if there were washers available before I had to lug our dirty clothes over there. Plus, we were just a short flight of stairs from deck 9 and the mickey pool/drink station! Plus, we were able to see the ports from our verandah. But, I know that is no guarantee, depending on how the ship docks.

On our next cruise, aft was not available for our category (6), so we chose deck 6 mid ship. Again, we are just a few doors from the laundry and stairs.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
TiaMaria
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw-ocd View Post
Newbie here, so please keep the laughter to a minimum!

Are some staterooms and decks better than others? Obviously the suites with the balconies and ocean views are better than the inside cabins, but is one side of the ship "better" than the other for any reason?

TIA
Jackie, there are no better decks or staterooms, per say, your opinion, my opinion and everyone else's is simply based on personal preferences.

My personal preference is to be on a higher deck (closer to the pools, drink station), but not too far from the kids clubs on Deck 5. I want to have a verandah also. Therefore, we have always stayed in a Cat 5 on Deck 7. We've always stayed mid-ship or just aft of mid-ship. We choose starboard, because we want to be in the same hallway as the laundry room - but not too close to it.

We've always been very pleased with our staterooms.

My advice is look at deckplans (there is a link at the top of the forum and in the FAQ sticky) look at the different public areas, and decide which catagory and location suits your preferences. There is all sorts of info on this board about staterooms, "secret" verandah staterooms, "secret" porthole staterooms, etc., but only you can decide what your family's needs are and what your budget is.

I guarantee you will have a fantastic time no matter where you stay! Enjoy!

Looking forward to the Disney Vacation Club Villas at The Grand Floridian Resort!!
TiaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
nydisfan
Disney Veteran

If you are prone to motion sickness, it has been reported that you should try and stay as close to mid ship as possible. The theory is you don't get as much of the rocking being closer to the center of the ship.
nydisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
nydisfan
Disney Veteran

Oh and I have also heard that you should try and avoid being directly over or under a nightclub / lounge where there would be loud noises late into the night. Check the deckplans to see where they are.
nydisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

I too think what is best depends on personal preferences. We usually book inside cabins as we are only in our room to sleep and change clothes. We had an oceanview once and it was nice, but it didn't make or break the cruise for us.

I like staying in the back, too, as it is closer to dining and pools.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran

Deffinately a personal preferance. We really love deck 2. Love the large porthole windows and the convience of being of the location to resturants and clubs. But then that is just us. Side of ship does'nt matter in the least. Have been on both and have no preferance.
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: