Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
dsnymom2003
Mouseketeer

Shades of Green

Not really sure where to post this so, if this is the wrong place I apologize I have head that Shades of Green is offering a package for people who were honorably discharged but, did not retire from the service. My question is if we do go that route would we be eligible for free dining in Sept?
dsnymom2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
mirandag819
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnymom2003 View Post
Not really sure where to post this so, if this is the wrong place I apologize I have head that Shades of Green is offering a package for people who were honorably discharged but, did not retire from the service. My question is if we do go that route would we be eligible for free dining in Sept?
No, you can not even buy the dining plan if you stay at Shades of Green. Since SoG is owned by the DoD and not Disney, their guests can not purchase the dinning plan (or get it for free).
mirandag819 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Bump for info on this honorable but not retired package.
WALTSAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

As long as you have the required documents, Jan and Sept are the months you would be eligible. As others have said, Disney Dining plan is not available to SOG guests, nor is Magical Express.

SOG does have a few "packages", but it forces you to eat only the food at SOG and right now would not be the best time to think about 100% meals at SOG since it is not the best food and they are still trying to figure out what they want to do in that department.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
edk35
DIS Veteran

THERE IS ALSO A current a military package deal of 40% off regular resort rooms. We just booked a room at Beach Club for one night because we are using Magical Express and we are staying at Beach Club for our DVC stay and wanted to come in a day early. I was able to book a room and get that great discount. We do love staying at Shades of Green and their prices can't be beat either. Good Luck.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
THERE IS ALSO A current a military package deal of 40% off regular resort rooms. We just booked a room at Beach Club for one night because we are using Magical Express and we are staying at Beach Club for our DVC stay and wanted to come in a day early. I was able to book a room and get that great discount. We do love staying at Shades of Green and their prices can't be beat either. Good Luck.
From the description of their current military status, I am pretty sure they don't qualify. The 40% deal is for those who are either retired, reserves, or active duty. Simply having an honorable discharge does not automatically make them eligible. They would have to possess a military ID and fall under the same requirements of staying at SOG year round. Otherwise, they only qualify for SOG during the months of January and September.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Otherwise, they only qualify for SOG during the months of January and September.

So who qualifies for stays during the months of Jan and Sept?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTSAGOD View Post
So who qualifies for stays during the months of Jan and Sept?
Everyone with a status of "honorable discharge" on a DD-214. So, this includes people who served less than 20 years. Like me -- I served four years active and four reserve, don't qualify normally for SOG based on my own service, but could go in Jan or September with my DD-214.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
LadyZolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZolt View Post
Everyone with a status of "honorable discharge" on a DD-214. So, this includes people who served less than 20 years. Like me -- I served four years active and four reserve, don't qualify normally for SOG based on my own service, but could go in Jan or September with my DD-214.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Many people don't know about this deal for "honorably discharged". Heck, many people who qualify to stay at SOG year round don't even know SOG exists.

Waltsagod, the reason SOG does this is so they can fill all the empty rooms during the slow months of Jan and Sept.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Thanks, as an honorably discharged JARHEAD, I had no idea this was available!

USMC
Security Forces
Kamiseya Japan

Last edited by WALTSAGOD; 04-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Any special ticket pricing during this time?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTSAGOD View Post
Kayiseya Japan
Pretty sure this is "Kami Seya."

To answer your question: I think that vets going in Jan/Sep can buy the discounted tickets at SOG. You can look at ticket prices, etc., on the SOG site (Shadesofgreen.org). But I'm not really 100% positive as I've never stayed at SOG based on my eligibility since my DH is retired military, so you might call them and ask to find out for sure.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
(Cryptologic Technician, USN, formerly stationed at Naval Security Group Activity Misawa, Japan, and while there I sent stuff to Kami's security detachment all the time)
LadyZolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Wink SoG

We are a USAR family. We stayed at the SoG last year, in August. You can always email or call SoG to see what and if you are eligible for. The rates go by rank/grade level. When we went in Aug/Sept, the place was empty. The rooms are very nice, everyone is pretty quiet, and very close walk to the Poly. We rented a car, as the bus run by SoG was horrid. The food is not the best, but low cost, and we had a sun and fun package which gave us the breakfast buffet every morning, a paper, and gift certs.

Anyway, you can buy discounted tickets from SoG or from any military seller. They are discounted 12 percent, as that is the tax savings. Also, you can get a Stars and Stripes ticket if you are staying at SOG or any Disney resort. That's a base, with hopper and water, and much cheaper than if you bought even the discounted base and added both the hopper and water.

Good luck!
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
WALTSAGOD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZolt View Post
Pretty sure this is "Kami Seya."

To answer your question: I think that vets going in Jan/Sep can buy the discounted tickets at SOG. You can look at ticket prices, etc., on the SOG site (Shadesofgreen.org). But I'm not really 100% positive as I've never stayed at SOG based on my eligibility since my DH is retired military, so you might call them and ask to find out for sure.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
(Cryptologic Technician, USN, formerly stationed at Naval Security Group Activity Misawa, Japan, and while there I sent stuff to Kami's security detachment all the time)

What did you send? I don't think I ever received it.

The sign on the base had it spelled as one word, but it was probably written/spelled by a couple of squids anyway.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post

Anyway, you can buy discounted tickets from SoG or from any military seller. They are discounted 12 percent, as that is the tax savings. Also, you can get a Stars and Stripes ticket if you are staying at SOG or any Disney resort. That's a base, with hopper and water, and much cheaper than if you bought even the discounted base and added both the hopper and water.

Good luck!
I just wanted to clarify that the OP is in no way connected to the military at this time. Without a military ID, they are not even able to get on the military base. Purchasing a military park ticket from anywhere other than SOG during their qualifying month of Jan or Sept is impossible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: