Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #601
MeMom
DIS Veteran

I'd be honest. I think that's less stressful. Just say you are going to do some 'big girl stuff' that Disney World has for grown-ups. I think they'll be happy for you and fine with it. Then, when you talk to them, you don't have to worry about guarding what you say. And I'm sure they'll be happy to find out they'll be getting some kind of special Mickey gifts/treats upon your return, right?
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #602
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
Because they are little I might just leave it as going to Florida. When I did my solo trip last year mine were a bit older and could understand when I explained why I was going without them and they also understand time enough to know when their next trip was coming. For your little ones I think that is too abstract and they are just going to think Mom went to Disney World without us? I am not a fan of lying to children but I think I may, if I were in your shoes, leave it at Florida and not get specific. Just my 2 cents.

Allyson
Thanks Allyson!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
How exciting that your plans are really taking shape now! I love that your going to have the photos taken. What a special way to remember your trip later.

I'd just go with saying your going to Florida, but not mentioning it to Disney. It's not a lie, just a bit of an omission. It will be much easier in the long run, then dealing with disappointed kids that aren't going to Disney. My brother and SIL used that tactic for a mom/dad only trip they took last year. The kids were fine with it that way.
I'm excited about the photo shoot too but we can't figure out what to wear...we're all stressing out about that!!!! Thanks for your input!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Hmmmmm, that's a tough one! I think I would lean towards telling them that you are going to Florida with Grandma and Aunt Jodi and that it's a special trip for you girls to take together to celebrate Grandma's birthday. Leaving out Disney isn't necessarily lie - it's just a detail! I think with their young age it would be too hard for them to understand Mommy going to Disney without them, of course that's just my opinion - what do I know!

Only potential problem I can see with omitting where you are actually going is, will they want to see pictures when you get home?? My kids have always loved looking at pictures and most definitely would ask to see them.
I know, it's SO hard! But I did it..stay tuned and thank you so much for your input, it's greatly appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielsbigtrip View Post
That is a tough one.

I had thought about doing our trip in September as Mommy and Daddy only but I knew as soon as we got there we would have "no child" remorse.

Don't feel guilty.....this will be such a fun, fond memory for you for the rest of your life. It's not like the boys have never been or you won't take them again

I would say you are going to Florida with Grammy (my mom is Grammy too) and Aunt Jodi and then if they ask if you are going to Disney say yes and you will bring them back something special ( I think you already picked up stuff from Disney Store? ) and that you will show them all the pictures when you get back. Bribery works very well I have found

You could also tell them you are on a top secret mission to plan the most supercalifragilistic next family trip ever! With boys, who knows - that may work
Love you secret mission idea....too cute!!!! Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyscrappinjan View Post
I know how you feel. We took the kids in June, me & DH and DD are going in Oct., and me and DD are going on a girls trip in Nov. We have decided to tell the 2 twelve year olds that we are going to Florida in Nov. and no other info. We wanted a mother/daughter week and w/free dining, we already have AP's so it is a very cheap trip. Good luck on your decision.
Hi! Thnaks for your input, I really appreciate it, it's that Mommy guilt that's killing me, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan_&_Blake's_mom View Post
I second this motion. Relax honey, you are a great mommy and they know that. You just took them to disney and will again soon enough. You deserve this trip. You could tell them how you are doing this for grammy for all that she's done.....maybe that would help and maybe someday they will even feel compelled to follow your lead and take their mommy to disney
Thanks Tracy! That means a lot, gotta hate Mommy guilt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post
Ditto to all of the above ...

Besides, they'll be having so much fun with the Dad doin' nothin' but guy things while you're gone, the probably won't even miss you!!!

... and just imagine what the house is gonna look like when you get back ... ... that sould take care of any guilty feelings you may have!

Time to wake up my princesses ... actually - they're more like ogres at this time of the day ...
So true!! Oh no...my house!!!! LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Oh yikes! I didn't mean to cause anxiety with the question! I don't have any kids so can't offer any advice as to what level of detail to provide. But I can say you're a great mom and you shouldn't feel guilty at all. I think it's a good lesson to learn that Mom has her own interests and sometimes needs some solo time! And I'm sure they will totally enjoy their boys week!
no worries C, I was already anxious about it! You just reminded me I needed to address it and soon!!! And thanks for your nice comments....that means a lot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Yahoo for Mickey Mail! I love it when all that starts rolling in!

That is a tough dilema about telling the kids...but, I agree with everyone. Tell them you are going on a trip to celebreate Grandma's Birthday...if they ask where, then you can leak a bit detail. Emphasize on the rockin' gifts they will be getting from you when you get back! I hope it all goes well...
Yay for Mickey Mail!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for you input Brook!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I'd be honest. I think that's less stressful. Just say you are going to do some 'big girl stuff' that Disney World has for grown-ups. I think they'll be happy for you and fine with it. Then, when you talk to them, you don't have to worry about guarding what you say. And I'm sure they'll be happy to find out they'll be getting some kind of special Mickey gifts/treats upon your return, right?
Thanks MeMom! I think you're on to something...stay tuned!!!
princess&her4princes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #603
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

3 weeks from right now, I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will update soon.....gotta make lunch for the boys!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #604
Dylan_&_Blake's_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
3 weeks from right now, I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will update soon.....gotta make lunch for the boys!!!
So jealous lol but I'm right behind ya (that is if I get some disney magic and can still make it) Congrats on the 3 week mark....that is VERY exciting!

I'm too excited to wait, a preTR for Sept. 09'http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2064791
My first TR!! November 07'http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1750935
Dylan_&_Blake's_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #605
joelp
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!!

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #606
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I got your PM...now waiting for the story of how it went... :
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #607
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

So I did it...I had the "talk" with the boys....after all the great comments you all left, I decided to just be honest with them. Ethan is SO stinkin' smart (and I'm not just saying that cause he's my son...lol ) so if I told him that I was going to Florida, he'd put two and two together and figure DISNEY. I'm actually pretty sure he thinks that's all there is in Florida at this point, too!! And in my book, that is all there is!! LOL!!!

I sat the big boys down and said I had something I wanted to tell them, that Grammy has a VERY special birthday coming up and since she used to always take Aunt Jodi and Mommy to Disney, we wanted to do the same for her to celebrate her special trip. They both immediately asked why they couldn't come, I told them that it was a girls only trip, that they would be doing "guy" things at home with Daddy and that this was a bit of secret mission trip too so Mommy could plan the next family trip. They loved that!! And I told them that if they were good for Daddy that maybe Mickey would send them something home with me!!!! They were all for that.

I have asked one of my DIS friends to possibly send some park maps here so the boys could stay connected each day to see where I am. I'm planning on making a calendar for Todd so he knows what's up each day here, so I"ll end up adding my info too it too. It will be a SUPER busy week for Daddy...the boys will be in school by then, soccer starts fo Ethan, gymnastics for Lucas, and Cole will be along for the ride. It will be good for all of us..... Or at least that's what I keep telling myself when the Mommy guilt starts kickin' in. Phew...one less thing to worry about, I didn't want to get caught in a white lie and I want to share this with them too...they LOVE looking at pics and I will want to tell them each day where I am/what I did/who I saw/what ride I rode each night when I check in.

We have finally picked out some tops to wear for our photoshoot!!! We have decided on purple and black. I think it will look nice, Mom & I found three tops that kind of go, we'll wear black pants and silver jewelry, hope it looks nice. They look better on than on the hanger, but you get the idea.

Here is mine:

Jodi's:

and Mom's (a darker shade, but it looks nice together)

Mom spent the night here last night so she could join us at the beach today and because Todd was traveling, so she kept me company last night. We started talking about switching some of our ressies.... We're not so sure of The Wave....anyone ate there? Is it good?!! Fill me in!!!! I don't want to start playing with my ressies and not sure I could anyways since it's less than 3 weeks out and with free dining going on!!!

Day 4 plans (Epcot!)
The parks is open 9-9 p.m.
We will make the MAD DASH to Soain' and get FP's ...Mom and Jodi have never been on, I can't wait to share it with them!!!

We plan to do WS this day and take it all in. I'm excited for this day...it will be fun to check out all the countries and see things I havne't seen in years, since it doesn't keep the kids overly entertained since they are so young. Maybe we'll grab a drink or two around the World?

We were thinking Sunshine Season for lunch and have dinner ressies at almost 7 at Teppan Edo. None of us have eaten there so we're looking forward to it!

We may squeeze and afternoon break in here somewhere and come back for dinner? I guess it will depend on how everyone's legs are doing!!! You know I'm going to have pics of me pushing two wheelchairs by now, don't you? LOL!!

I guess that's all on the update homefront this afternoon, plus Cole is now up from his nap.....I hope you're all well!!!! Less than three weeks now....woohoo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #608
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Aww, I am glad they took it well

Don't feel guilty! What wonderful memories you will have for the rest of your life.

Oh and Wooooo HOOOOOO for Purple and Black............

GO RAVENS!

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

My Very 1st Pre Trip Report

Curse YOU indoor plumbing!! ~ Sept 2009 Trip Report ~
Gabrielsbigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #609
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielsbigtrip View Post
Aww, I am glad they took it well

Don't feel guilty! What wonderful memories you will have for the rest of your life.

Oh and Wooooo HOOOOOO for Purple and Black............

GO RAVENS!

I know.....just that Mommy guilt, you know? But I'm sure I"ll get over it real quick....lol!! I just can foresee some of those special times where I wish they were there. I actually choked up telling them I was going!!! I'm one of "those Moms" that cries at everything.....lol!! My poor boys...heehee!!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #610
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Kristen I think you absolutely handled telling the boys the right way! As soon as I read MeMoms advise I knew she was a much wiser woman than I - I'm glad that's the route you decided to go!

I love your outfit choices for your photoshoot, I think it's really going to turn out nice.

I wish I could help you out on The Wave, but we haven't been there (yet - it's on the list for December ). I have read two trip reports of people who have gone (Brook & jaycns) and both of them gave it really positive reviews. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #611
Dylan_&_Blake's_mom
DIS Veteran

Very glad to hear they took it so well and that it is out of the way for you so you can stop worrying about it quite so much. They will have fun with their daddy and you will have a blast with your mom and sister. I hope The Wave is good. I think I have it for one of my ressiesI'll have to check for sure. Less than 3 weeks....that's crazy exciting!

I'm too excited to wait, a preTR for Sept. 09'http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2064791
My first TR!! November 07'http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1750935
Dylan_&_Blake's_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #612
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Kristen I think you absolutely handled telling the boys the right way! As soon as I read MeMoms advise I knew she was a much wiser woman than I - I'm glad that's the route you decided to go!

I love your outfit choices for your photoshoot, I think it's really going to turn out nice.

I wish I could help you out on The Wave, but we haven't been there (yet - it's on the list for December ). I have read two trip reports of people who have gone (Brook & jaycns) and both of them gave it really positive reviews. I'm looking forward to trying it.
I think I did, too!! Thanks!! I read everyone's comments and was going back and forth, got MeMom's note and said, that's it...we need to talk....it's for the best. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, if I'm honest. Although, I'm not looking forward to saying bye to them the day before....sniff, sniff!!

I'm glad you like the tops we got for the photoshoot, they look a lot nicer on, but it's a different color for us all, but since we're all fair skinned with blondish hair, I think it will look nice.

I've heard good reviews for the Wave, too. I was looking at their dinner menu with my Mom and nothing was hitting us....I'm sure it's delish, it will be something different at least, right? I'll keep you posted on it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan_&_Blake's_mom View Post
Very glad to hear they took it so well and that it is out of the way for you so you can stop worrying about it quite so much. They will have fun with their daddy and you will have a blast with your mom and sister. I hope The Wave is good. I think I have it for one of my ressiesI'll have to check for sure. Less than 3 weeks....that's crazy exciting!
Phew...one more thing, done!! I was really stressed about telling them and now we're all talking "Disney" so it's nice to have someone to share in my excitement, you know?

You're so right about that week..they will have some boy fun....and I can enjoy some girl time...that NEVER HAPPENS (as you well know in a house full of men yourself!!).

I know....I can't beleive it's just weeks away now.....time is FLYING!!! Let's hope those few days don't go by as quickly......
Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #613
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Hi Kristen! Glad the boys took the news well. The way you told them was co cute. You're an awesome mommy!

LOVE the colors of tops you girls are going to wear! I can't wait to see the pictures from the shoot.

Only 3 more weeks!!!!
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #614
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Hi Kristen! Glad the boys took the news well. The way you told them was co cute. You're an awesome mommy!

LOVE the colors of tops you girls are going to wear! I can't wait to see the pictures from the shoot.

Only 3 more weeks!!!!
Aww, thanks Lynn!!! That means a lot to me.....I try my best!!!

I like the colors too, they are different for us, we weren't going for all the same color, but it worked out for us. My Mom is sending Jodi her top tomorrow, hope she likes it and it fits well or we're in trouble!! lol

less than 3 weeks!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #615
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!

Phew! I bet that feels much better now. The boys will have so much fun with their dad. I think it is great that you will be keeping them in the loop too!

Your plans look great so far! Oh yes, you should have a couple of drinks while at Epcot. I thought that there was a law somewhere??

The blouses look pretty and comfy. Lavender and Purple are lovely colors.

lazydoxy66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: