Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #1516
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angey77 View Post
Some of these videos, my initial reaction is "OMG, I can't believe these people thought this was GOOD and made this world-wide." Then I think about it more and am having some respect for these people for actually putting themselves out like that ... even though my jaw is still dropping.

Switching gears: OMG, they just showed on the news a new Barbie that comes with tattoos and they showed her with a stamp on her back with tribal art and a heart that said "KEN." WHAAAATTT???
I just watched all of the videos and left a poitive comment for each of them. I had one girl write me back and thank me. She is in last place. I wish I knew which video is hers so that I could try to vote it up!!!

Aubrey wanted that tattoo Barbie for her birthday... asked everyone for it. She was sooooo bummed when she didn't get it. I can see her now asking to get ink when she turns 16!

Last edited by hmdavid; 04-30-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #1517
Brae's Mom
In need of a Disney Fix.......NOW!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkaren View Post
From light and fluffy to serious......Chrysler filing bankruptcy today is really not good for where my dh works. He has high seniority but like 85% of their work is for Chrysler. They are ceasing operations for Chrysler at 6:30 this evening and sending home anyone who works on a Chrysler line. Right now dh works on a Toyota line but a high number of the workers will be laid off. I don't know where he'll end up as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmelo View Post
I know how you're feeling. Doug just found out today that someone he works with got laid off and there was an email sent out by the boss saying that due to the current situation, some "unfortunate decisions" had to be made....so, it sounds like there are likely more coming
Karen & Melody - I hope things work out for you hubbies at their jobs. I know things are starting to change up here too. I don't know if I ever told all of you that my hubby was cut back from 40 hours to 20 hours a little over a month ago. He was doing electrical maint for a boatyard that a year ago had enough work to last them for 5 years, now they are scrounging for work. They had a lot of big time customers change their mind about having a new boat. Luckily though, hubby is a licensed electrician here in Maine so he has that to fall back on. So he is working 20 hours at the boat yard and more than making up for the 20 hours he lost. Well it took about a month to pile up enough work to keep him busy all week, but now he has people waiting for him, so at least we know that he will be busy for several months!!! That is a blessing.

Anyway, I feel like I haven't been on here forever, I've missed you all. I've been checking in but haven't really had a whole lot to say. Tonight was my first official weight watchers meeting. I had been trying to go for the last two weeks, but things just kept happening so that I couldn't go, but now that I've signed up I'm good. So my first weigh in is next Thursday.

Well, I'm off to bed.......one more day of work this week and the weekend will finally be here. I'm hoping to hear from Jordan tomorrow telling me to meet him in NYC on Thursday (I know it won't happen) but here's hoping...........G'night ladies!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #1518
cruiserkaren
Who Dey!
here I am.......still blank

thanks guys. It is *really* not looking good. If what is being said (and it's being said consistently) happens dh will be laid off in 2-4 weeks. That's not set in stone and we've been around the rumor mill quite a few times so we know not to believe it til it happens but.....this time seems way different. The entire place is almost empty right now.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #1519
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry, Karen. I will keep hoping for the best.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #1520
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

Quote:
thanks guys. It is *really* not looking good. If what is being said (and it's being said consistently) happens dh will be laid off in 2-4 weeks. That's not set in stone and we've been around the rumor mill quite a few times so we know not to believe it til it happens but.....this time seems way different. The entire place is almost empty right now.
I know the feeling Karen! About a month ago Jay's company went through something like that. He was on 2nd shift and they laid off all but 10 of them (I think!), keeping 3 on 2nd shift, the others were shuffled to 3rd and 1st, they got to bid on which shift the preferred. Fortunately, Jay got 1st. Things are much better now, they are offering overtime almost every day now because they don't have anyone on 2nd. We just hope it stays this way because he is pretty low on the totem pole now....

Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #1521
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Switching gears: OMG, they just showed on the news a new Barbie that comes with tattoos and they showed her with a stamp on her back with tribal art and a heart that said "KEN." WHAAAATTT???
I heard about that Barbie. I think Nebraska (or some mid-west state) banned the sales of that particular Barbie. Barbie Boycott!

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the rumors turn out to be false. There are rumors flying around my company too. They made layoffs a couple months ago and I survived but now there's rumors of them closing down a branch. If those people get moved into our branch, I'm gone because I don't have seniority. I refuse to believe it til there's an announcement about it because it's been being talked about for months.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #1522
angey77
DIS Veteran

Today Show just promoed the guys being on next Friday!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1523
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Today Show just promoed the guys being on next Friday!
Yay! Hope one of us that entered the contest is there! I don't know how they are going to get through all of those LONG emails. There is no way that 10,000 emails are going to be read by just Jordan!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #1524
kte28
Mouseketeer

Hi ladies!

TGIF, am I right? So sorry to hear of some of the layoff stories. It's just awful. This economy needs to get better!

I didn't bother trying for the Today show contest. Honestly, I don't have the time to take, and I've been lucky enough to meet them a couple times, and I'll have the cruise. (We hope!)

Anyone have any fun weekend plans? For ONCE I don't have school work since the semester ended Monday. I have lots of errands to run, though, and then I'll start packing. 12 days!

WDW June/July 1992 - WDW July 1994 - WDW July 1995 - WDW July 1996 - WDW July 1997 - WDW July 1998 - WDW July 1999 - WDW July 2000 - WDW/Disney Wonder July 2001 - WDW/Disney Magic July 2002 - WDW/RCL July 2004/RCL - WDW April 2007 - WDW July 2008 - WDW August 2009 - US/IOA August 2010 - WDW July 2012
- WDW July 2014
Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #1525
jenny105
DIS Veteran

No big weekend plans. It's not supposed to be very nice here. I think I'm going to see Wolverine. Hugh Jackman

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #1526
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Not too much going on here, either. We have soccer games tomorrow morning and I am praying for warmer weather than last week! After I think we are going to drive down to Des Moines to do some shopping. I need something to wear for a wedding that is later this month and I can't find anything around here. I HATE living in a small town with limited shoppng available! We don't even have a Kohl's and our mall is terrible!

Also hoping to be able to webcam with Brian this weekend. It has been a few weeks since he has had a good enough internet connection to use the webcams and I think the girls really need to see their Daddy. They have been missing him a lot lately. Kaitlyn and Emma had a classmate tell them that he was going to get shot (stupid kid!!!) and they have all three been waking up crying a lot at night since that. Keep your fingers crossed that we will be able to get those cameras working!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #1527
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Your poor girls! I can't believe their classmate said that to them. I mean, I know it was just a kid, but still! I hope the cameras are working so they can see him.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #1528
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Your poor girls! I can't believe their classmate said that to them. I mean, I know it was just a kid, but still! I hope the cameras are working so they can see him.
I know.. I mean the kid is 7 and I am sure he came from this conclusion because of an adult in his life, but SERIOUSLY! My kids have always been taught to not say something that would hurt someone, wish everyone raised their children that way.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #1529
cruiserkaren
Who Dey!
here I am.......still blank

Ohmygosh, Heather, that is terrible. I hope they get to see him this weekend. Poor babies, some reassurance for them would hopefully help.

Well it is official. All but about 50 people gone in the next 2 weeks. Three hundred are gone as of the filing of Chapter 11 yesterday. Dh may get a chance to stay due to his senoirity and the 30 year guys not wanting to have to get off their fork trucks and "run" a job. Anyway, that's that. We are both actually calm about it. It wasn't unexpected. It's supposed to be temporary until the deal with Fiat is complete. Like it's really only going to take ONLY 30 days. Uh huh! We'll see.....

The thing about Jordan's contest is it really kind of stinks that HE isn't reading all of them. I understand why, obviously, but an answer that may stick out to him may not to whoever is helping him.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #1530
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ohmygosh, Heather, that is terrible. I hope they get to see him this weekend. Poor babies, some reassurance for them would hopefully help.

Well it is official. All but about 50 people gone in the next 2 weeks. Three hundred are gone as of the filing of Chapter 11 yesterday. Dh may get a chance to stay due to his senoirity and the 30 year guys not wanting to have to get off their fork trucks and "run" a job. Anyway, that's that. We are both actually calm about it. It wasn't unexpected. It's supposed to be temporary until the deal with Fiat is complete. Like it's really only going to take ONLY 30 days. Uh huh! We'll see.....

The thing about Jordan's contest is it really kind of stinks that HE isn't reading all of them. I understand why, obviously, but an answer that may stick out to him may not to whoever is helping him.
Karen... I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that your husband is one that will keep his job. When are you supposed to know more?

I agree... some answers that would stick out to Jordan won't mean anything to a hired reader. I think they should have done it differently. Everyone should have had to write a "twitter-inspired" entry... 140 characters or less. Much more manageable for the person reading. I can only imagine that some of these girls probably put there heart and soul into a 10 page email!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: