Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Migraine Medicines or other therapies

All of the sudden my migraine medicines (Treximet, Relpax and Imitrex) have stopped working and have actually started making me very ill when I take them.

I also started taking Zonegran as a preventative again after trying it before with mixed results. Topomax caused scary side effects so I can't take that one. The only other preventative that my Dr recommended was Lisinopril which lowers your blood pressure but I already have low blood pressure naturally and if I took a med that lowered it even more I would risk passing out.

My Neurologist is at a loss at this point of other meds to try. I have been through just about every preventative and pain medicine on the market and am literally at my wit's end.

I know my food triggers and avoid those but hormonal and barometric triggers are out of my control. My Neuro also thinks that there is something here in this area that I am reacting to specifically but I won't be able to get in with an Allergist until next month to explore that avenue.

What migraine treatments have worked for you? Have you had luck with chiropractic or acupuncture? What about natural remedies or botox injections?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
mookie
Wow, am I in a wierd mood tonight
My dogs love "rearranging them"
I wanted to auction my kids off to the highest bidder

Sorry, I wish I could help, but I've just started my journey with my neuro. How bad were your side effects on Topomax? My dr prescribed it, but I've been hesitant to fill the prescription since I came home and got on the computer and saw all the scary stuff...

Good luck to you. I know how awful it can be.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

I take Maxalt & when that doesn't work I use the Imitrex stat injections.

As I get older the migraines get further in-between and in severity. I have been suffering with them since I was about 25 and I am now 57.

TC
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
Sorry, I wish I could help, but I've just started my journey with my neuro. How bad were your side effects on Topomax? My dr prescribed it, but I've been hesitant to fill the prescription since I came home and got on the computer and saw all the scary stuff...

Topamax was horrid for me. My Neuro called it the Supermodel drug because it makes you thin and dumb. I did lose a ton of weight which was GREAT but I was a bumbling idiot. I couldn't add 2 single digit numbers together, couldn't remember anything - my short term memory was shot, and flew into rages and split our solid wood front door by slamming it too hard. Soda tasted like boiled dirt and I had very little appetite. I had to remind myself to eat. My hands and feet were either constantly tingling like being stuck with pins and needles or were completely numb. Worst part of Topamax was I still had migraines just as often!

Now, that being said - I know people who SWEAR by the stuff and it works wonders for them. Topamax works for some people and not for others. It is a chemical that you put in your body and you just don't know how it is going to interact with the chemicals in your body until you try it. I would still try it if I were you because at this point I would try anything that MAY work!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffcookie View Post
I take Maxalt & when that doesn't work I use the Imitrex stat injections.

As I get older the migraines get further in-between and in severity. I have been suffering with them since I was about 25 and I am now 57.

TC
I had an allergic reaction the first time I took Maxalt so that one is out. Already have the Imitrex injections. Any imitrex based meds are all of the sudden making me severely nauseated literally as soon as I take them.

I was hoping my migraines would get less as I got older but they have gotten worse since we moved back to the South. We suspect some type of environmental trigger but at this point we have no idea what that could be or how to avoid it.

Glad to hear yours are lessening in severity. My Mom got to the point in her 60's that they were very few and far between and she could usually trace them back to forgetting to eat, too much sunlight, dehydration due to illness or a food trigger.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Melmac
DIS Veteran

I also wish I could help ... I also couldn't take any of the meds you listed, including Topomax. I also was prescribed a med for lower blood pressure and this did cause me to pass out a lot and I don't really have natural low blood pressure. I haven't tried acupuncture or chiro.

You know what does help me (if I catch it early enough - I have about a 30 minute window when I can tell if the headache is going to develop into a migraine) is super strength Advil liquid gels. These are 400 mg each and if I pop 3(!) during that window, it will dull the pain enough that it is tolerable (read: I don't throw up, I don't have to remain in the fetal in my bed and I could go out in the sunlight, if necessary). I also usually take another one about 30-60 minutes after the first dose. Luckily, I have no adverse side effects to Advil.

I talked extensively about this with my doctor and since my migraines are only about once-three times a month now, she said to go with what I know will dull the pain to a tolerance level. I live with chronic headaches so if I can tolerate the pain, then I can function. If my migraines became more frequent, we would have to find another avenue as that much Advil could become a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post

My side effects from Topomax were exactly why the drug is nicknamed Dopomax. It was starting to affect my job performance and so I had to stop taking it. The main effect was the inability to do basic math. Two examples included a check at a restaurant where I added the bill (about 11.00) and the tip (about $3.00) and came up with $18. My friend pointed out my mistake. Another one is at the supermarket and purchasing some items - I had dumped out my change purse in my hand to count out the correct change and just sat there and stared at it ... I couldn't even think where to begin. My DH picked out the right change and off we went but it was this episode where it was scary.

Other side effects included short term memory loss (driving home from work and forgetting where I was going), tingling in my feet (at 9:30am every morning), the way that pop tasted (terrible - it affected my tast buds a bit) and nightmares.

Needless to say, I couldn't stay on the medication. However, one of my friends is on it and is doing fine. While I was on it (I can't remember how long - 5 months maybe?) I never had a migraine.

Good luck to all that suffer migraines - it sucks.

Sep 2013: Offsite • Nov 2012: Art of Animation (LM) • Nov 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter • Oct 2010: Caribbean Beach • Sep 2009: Pop Century • Sep 2008: All-Star Sports • Dec 2007: Coronado Springs • Oct 2006: Port Orleans Riverside • Sep 2004: Caribbean Beach • May 1990: Offsite
Melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

My migraines are triggered by hormones as well (stress sometimes too). Man they suck!!! I have family that says, "yeah..headaches stink". This is so worse than a headache!

Anyway, I did get some relief from the chiropractor. Lately, I have head great luck with Excedrin migraine. When I have feel a migraine just beginning to start I take 2. I also use that herbal neck wrap that you see at the carts in the mall. With those 2 things I can keep the migraine at bay or stop it in 30 minutes. And...I used to have to go to the ER for shots.

Good luck. They are so very painful.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Squirrel!!!
Mouseketeer

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have had migraines since I was 18, but with perimenapause, I started getting them 18-20 days a month, so started the gambit of trying to prevent them too.

Atenelol made me sweat...just sweat buckets, drip sweat, it was lovely. So now I take topamax. I am more distracted so do have to really really make an effort to stay on task at work (am a medical professional). I do not do idiotic things or make mistakes, just seem to wander off and not finish unless I make a serious effort to keep with my current task if you KWIM?

I CANNOT do math in my head on topamax, just can't. I have accepted that, and carry my calculator. SInce I know it is the medication, it does not make me feel stupid. Since I can still remember the causes of hypercalcemia and other important medical "stuff" when I need to, just cannot multiply 32 times 47, I am okay.

I, however, cannot take a dose of topamax that totally prevents my migraines and function in my job. I am taking 150 mg daily. Max dose is 300. No possible way I could be on that dose and not drool. Seriously.

So, I now have about 3 migraines a month, and Maxalt works AWESOME for me, 20 minutes, migraine is gone, and I am on with my life. It does cause a wicked pharyngitis for me, but at least I can function.

When I was preggers, I had acupuncture for my migraines when I had one, and it worked, but time consuming.

Last edited by Squirrel!!!; 11-16-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Squirrel!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
excitedfamily
Earning My Ears

My migraines are finally down to mostly the "monthly" hormonal attacks. I can't take ANYTHING to deal with them because of allergies. I can't take preventatives and i can't even take a tylenol or advil once i get a headache. I have suffered for years with no idea what to do.

Last month after my killer hormonal migraine, i was desperately googling to try and find "natural" remedies. Somehow I came across a website about magnesium deficiency. I have/had practically every symptom listed. I was on antibiotics a lot a few years ago for chronic ear infections. My food allergies got worse, and I had to stop eating a lot of different foods. I ended up on a crazy restrictive diet.

Over the years I found some vitamins which I could tolerate and that helped a bit. I have always been aware that magnesium could help migraines and I have been on a calcium/magnesium supplement for years. However, the dosage is supposedly really low.

So last month I started eating peanuts every day (one of the few magnesium rich foods I can eat). When this month's hormonal nightmare came it was no where as bad as what I am used to! I didn't even throw up, which I always do.

The headache itself was way less intense and didn't POUND like it usually does. I am now addicted to peanuts and crave them like crazy. It's as if my body "needs" them. So maybe try to add some magnesium rich foods to your diet to see if that makes a diiference.

I am actually sort of looking forward to the next month's headache to see if it is as mild or even more mild. Hope is amazing!
excitedfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
KitKat_Tink
Dude
Would make a great Alice in Wonderland

I have had migraines since I 7, so about 10 years. I've been on literally every medication they can give me at 17. Topamax worked amazingly for me but I lost 40lbs, couldn't function and I was always cold. I had to stop that or else I would have failed my senior year of high school. I went all summer dealing with migraines again and my doctor decided to try prozac as a preventative (i also deal with anxiety so it helps that too) and I haven't had as many migraines since then. I still get like one a week but they aren't an every other day thing anymore.

As an abortive medicine I take fioricet. I know doctors don't like to give it out due to its high addictiveness but it helps! I generally take one or two and pass out or get weird bouts of energy. But the headache is gone.

Another thing you could try is biofeedback therapy. I don't know all about it but its basically trying to get you to be able to control all your vitals. Your neurologist should be able to give you more information on it.

DCP CM Spring 2013 TLT dessert party

KitKat_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Yes, I did have good luck with a chiropractor for my migraine headaches.

This was 25-30 years ago. I had them quite often, and was on prescribed medication but it made me so nauseous that I didn't always take it. My last migraine had me at the hospital getting a shot, it hurt so bad.

I decided to try the chiropractor, and after a few neck adjustments that was the last of my migraines.

For several years I still got the "aura" (squiggly lines in my vision, or blind spots) but I never got the actual headache. And that even stopped a few years later.

What do you have to lose to try the chiropractor? I would if I were you.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

You have to feel better next week!

Did you guys have someone check your house for mold?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I get terrible migraines. Topamax worked, moved me from getting 2 or 3 migraines/week to 1/week. I didn't get too many side effects--weight loss & tingles. But then I switched to the generic, and I had alllll the side effects AND it didn't work. I switched back to the brand name, but I got to a point where it was just too expensive since it didn't get rid of my migraines entirely.

I'm doing a migraine trial right now, I think I have the placebo But it's apparently supposed to be a great drug, here's hoping it comes on the market soon!

My biggest help is my birth control. I'm pretty good most of the month, but then I get migraines that one fantastic week each month.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
happymom2one
Mouseketeer

My nero Doctor suggested taking everyday regardless of migraine, magnesium and riboflavin (also known as B2). SHe wanted to stay natural incase I got pregnant. I would give it a try. Worked great for me.

The B2 you can get over the counter but I think the magnesium has to be prescribed. Like someone posted (sorry I dont remember who) I did the research and it sounded like low magnesium could cause migraines.

I hope this helps and you start feeling better.

[/url]
happymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmac View Post

You know what does help me (if I catch it early enough - I have about a 30 minute window when I can tell if the headache is going to develop into a migraine) is super strength Advil liquid gels. These are 400 mg each and if I pop 3(!) during that window, it will dull the pain enough that it is tolerable .

FYI - The maximum Ibuprofen amount per dose is 1200. So, don't worry about your three... I've take 4 or 5. I haven't need 6....yet.

I can't take any of the new Migraine drugs. I have an RX for Vicoprofen, and take that as needed. It doesn't make me feel loopy, or sleepy - it just knocks the pain out. And I am beyond grateful that my DR is compassionate about the whole thing, and doesn't give me a hard time writing out a prescription for a narcotic. I bite one in half, and take it with an Advil or two. And if it doesn't go away, I take the other half with another Advil. That seems to always do the trick.

But he's a rare breed. I've had plenty NOT, which infuriates me. I had one man give me an RX for 800 mg Ibuprofen. Thanks buddy! 4 Advils. Whatta guy!!!

I used to take Fiorinal. Frankly, I liked those better - BUT they stopped working. It's been a few years, I should ask about those again.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
itsheresomewhere
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom2one View Post
My nero Doctor suggested taking everyday regardless of migraine, magnesium and riboflavin (also known as B2). SHe wanted to stay natural incase I got pregnant. I would give it a try. Worked great for me.

The B2 you can get over the counter but I think the magnesium has to be prescribed. Like someone posted (sorry I dont remember who) I did the research and it sounded like low magnesium could cause migraines.

I hope this helps and you start feeling better.
It is all over the counter and works great. It makes it so when you do get one, it is less severe. I can't think of the company but one sells it a miagraine mix. My doc recommends 400 mg of b2 daily no matter what as some may be sensitive to the mag.
itsheresomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: