Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should DBF and I do on our free night?
Mini Golf 2 18.18%
Hang at the Boardwalk 4 36.36%
Go back to a park and finish up anything we missed 0 0%
DTD 5 45.45%
Other... TELL ME WHAT! 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

Arrow A Disney Princess & her SERIOUSLY grumpy bf.... A Pre-Trip Report!

Hey Everyone!

Well, by now you've probably seen me posting on here a few times. It's so hard to get caught up, and I want to say something to everyone but I'm in over my head!

I was, around a year ago, a loyal Dis-ser. But, I never really wrote on the boards, just stalked the boards. Sorry about that...

Here's the history of me (disney princess) and the grumpy bf(seriously).

I have been to disney 8 times. I love all things Disney, I love the parks, I love planning...Disney really is my happiest place on earth.
My bf isn't really anti-happy..he is just anti-heat, crowds, people and Disney World in general. He went there once in high school, and didn't like it at all.

I have made it my mission, to make him LOVE it. I'm going to do everything in my power to plan it really well, so that he enjoys himself this time (so we can go back again next year), so througout my PTR, any ideas or suggestions to make this trip enjoyable from an already anti-disney trip passanger will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

Ok, here are some details/history of the aforementioned trip:

My friend is getting married in Orlando on August 1st. At first, I thought well if I'm paying for the plane tickets anyways, maybe I'll do a long weekend. The only way I convinced my bf of this was with a promise to go to sea world (he LOVES marine life).
That turned into...well, maybe we will leave on a tuesday and spend a few days in Disney. I used Animal Kingdom to convince bf to go for a longer time.
So, I did my research on different hotels, and made a power point slide show of some DTD hotels, some Universal Hotels and some disney hotels (emphasized Disney hotels of course). I'm a HUGE planner and enjoyed making this.

So, I played a trick on him..I showed him all of them, glorified the Disney ones, and of COURSE he was like wow the ones on Disney property look great...and THEN I showed him AKL..and he fell in love. He told me he would only go if we stayed there, and actually seemed excited about it...so of course, i let him think he made the decision and I was just going along with it...

Anyways, so I saw this wonderful 4 for 3 deal that disney had going...and priced it out for AKL. I convinced him to add the dining plan (it's less money! less hassle!), and soon my long weekend semi disney trip is now a 7 night, 8 day full immersed Disney Trip...I am tricky!!!

So, the dates are as follows: July 26-August 2. In the middle of the summer heat, I have to convince my bf that Disney is in fact magical and needs to be visited yearly.

Here we go!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
pipermae
Mouseketeer

HI! I'm jumping on board. You are so devious! Luckily, there wasn't much trickery into getting my DBF to go to WDW with me. And I am so jealous of AKL... I would love to stay there! But, alas, broke college students= value resort... which is still Disney property, at least. Heh.
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
DisneyFairy19
Disney Bride 10-4-08!!! Annual Passholder!!! Been there, Done that, Going Back!!!

I wouldnt take him in the parks in August.. Its EXTREMELY hot and CROWDED

Families are packing in that last summer vacation before school starts.

I recommend if anything going in mid September
No Lines, but it can be hot... or go mid January- February

Spring time is busy due to Spring Break and dont even think of Memorial Day weekend.. I went with DH one year and NEVER again....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

I'm joining in!! I have a grumpy DH who I'm dragging along. I love how you sold him on AKL -- well played!! I've never been in August (we're going the last week), but I've heard it will be crowded and hot. BUT...it CAN be done (according to what I've read on here)! I'd suggest signing up for Tour Guide Mike or using Touring Plans to get a plan of attack. I just registered for TGM b/c I've heard a lot of excellent things about how his site has helped people who've gone during peak times. So, if you have to go during the busy time at least you can be prepared.

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I know it's going to be hot and crowded, but this is only time period we can go....so we will make the best out of it!

Update (kind of): I'm in the middle of preparing another power point presentation of where we can eat

My 90 day window isn't until the end of April..but just in case (with disney you never know what they will do!), I want to be ready. Plus he loves food...so I'm slowly getting him excited!

Anyone know how long after the initial booking the send you the vaca planning dvd, etc?
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
Thanks everyone! I know it's going to be hot and crowded, but this is only time period we can go....so we will make the best out of it!

Update (kind of): I'm in the middle of preparing another power point presentation of where we can eat

My 90 day window isn't until the end of April..but just in case (with disney you never know what they will do!), I want to be ready. Plus he loves food...so I'm slowly getting him excited!

Anyone know how long after the initial booking the send you the vaca planning dvd, etc?
I booked in December, but I didn't get the planning DVD (I booked with a TA), so I ordered it off of the Disney site website. Sorry, I'm no help! Haha.

I understand about the ADRs. Since I booked I have been planning the dining very carefully. I'm doing the DP (just regular, not deluxe). I planned it out and I'm getting a really good deal if the prices on allears.net are up to date.
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

i want it now! lol....I just don't know if i can wait anymore. 5 months exactly from today!!!!
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
WDWRocksMySocks

I booked in January and received the DVD about three weeks later. I didn't even know I automatically got it, so it was a nice surprise! Good luck planning your ADRs. I had such a hard time trying to narrow down all the places we wanted to eat. Seriously, I could just eat my way around WDW w/ no problem!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

some pictures!!!

Here's some pictures of who is involved in this trip (i.e me and grumpy DBF).

This is Me, with the pirate outside the Disney Store..it looks like I have one leg, but I have 2..I promise.

And...these are my two kitties, they aren't coming (obviously) but they are my loves

Stella Marie

Moose Bruschi-Brady (go PATS!)

And here's one of me and DBF:

Sorry they're so big!

Last edited by shordiebecka; 03-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

every morning I wake up and hope for one of two things:
1. It's July 25
2. Disney has posted the park hours for july & emh.

neither of these things every happen

Next up..some of my favorite pictures from my last disney trip.

Oh, and I finally finished reading the Unofficial Guide.

Should i Go buy the passporter guide?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

boardwalk and bridge

Swan & Dolphin

Ducks @ MGM Bus Stop

Germany @ Epcot

the wonderful ball through Japan

DISNEY!

who misses it.. I do!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
WDWRocksMySocks

Cute pictures! That one really does look like you have just one leg. Love your kitties -- too cute. We're...well, I am a cat person. DH has somewhat converted.

Oh, and I definitely miss it...all of it!! I'm suffering from WDW withdraw everyday. I'm such a junkie, it's sad.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

So...I showed DBF a slide show I made on power point (i'm so ocd..its sad), of all the places we can eat. I told him to choose 10..and he ended up with 13- pretty much all of Epcot & the resorts:

Boma
Sci Fi
Brown Derby
The Coral Reef
Nine Dragons
Germany
Teppan Edo
Le collier
England
Ohana
Flying fish
Raglan road
t-rex
California Grill

Now, we have a total of 5 days (one of those days being 2 half days that I made into 1 to use all of our 7 ts meals. But, we really want to eat at all these places, So i think we are going to use our CS for breakfast at AKL, pay for some meals out of our pockets and use some TS credits. Though, I we won't be able to eat all these places. We will probably choose between the Sci Fi and Hollywood Brown Derby, so that will eliminate at least one..but besides that.. choices choices

I also went and bought myself a 3 ring binder, with some folders with dividers for OCD planning purposes

On the front of my binder, I put a calendar that i made on Office Publisher, for the months of March, April, May and June- with all important trip planning dates (park hours at the end of March, ADR dates, etc, etc.... WHEN WILL IT COME! I have nothing to do now until the park hours come out but daydream!!!

Well, just a quick rant. Thanks to everyone who has been reading, the few of you!

Last edited by shordiebecka; 03-08-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
tiggersam00
Dole Whip addict... and proud of it!

hi there! Love your plans so far! The powerpoint presentation is great, totally awesome in fact! Great way to convince him!
I found that the more excited I got about WDW the more excited DF got... so I made an effort to ask him lots of questions about the trip and things he wanted to do (like talking about disney was really all that hard lol )
I think you will make him a disney fan yet!
Oh and not sure what dining plan you are on, but I see you have a few signature restaurants (require 2 TS credits) so make sure you dont end up paying for more then you thought you would OOP.

Oh and now the fun news... I may bump into you in July at AKL... I am trying to convince DF to stay there for 3 nights beforfe we move over to my folks Timeshare for a week... I want a little "us" time on a vacation. We are going down there to plan our Disney Wedding, so I would love to have a few days of just us. I am also trying to convince him to buy DVC at AKV so we'll see how that goes... maybe the trip to AKL will help me plead my case lol!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: