Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Brother & Sister, WL, AKL, and Parents on a Disney Cruise! We're off!!! 5/8!!

Chapter List

1. Our resorts as of right now!
2. Dining plans and ADRs!
3. Park touring plans!
4. Mini TR: Xmas with mom! chapter 1
5. Mini TR: Xmas with mom! chapter 2
6. Itinerary cards!
7. Mini TR: XMas with mom! chapter 3
8. Mini TR: Our adventures with Everest!
9. Mini TR: Boma & Epcot!
10. Paying off really pays off!
11. Mini TR: Magic kingdom with the princesses!
12. Itinerary on your iPod/iPhone!
13. Mini TR: Osborne lights with mom!
14. Tee purchases!
15. Mini TR: The final mom/daughter chapter!
16. Disney email!!
17. Mini Tr with Dad! Part 1 arrival
18. Mini Tr with Dad! Part 2 arrival
19. Mini Tr with Dad! Part 1 MK morning
20. Mini Tr with Dad! Part 2 MK morning
21. Mini Tr with Dad! Our last day part 1
22. Mini Tr with Dad! Our last day part 2
23. Mini TR with dad conclusion!
24. Countdown begins!!
25. Disney mail!
26. More mail goodies, pancakes & lets predict our first day!
27. Happy earth day! Predicting our 2nd day!
28. Cruise documents and pixie dust!
29. Predicting our Day off!
30. Single digits!
31. Magic kingdom day!
32. Epcot and mom and dad come home!
33. The great switcheroo!
34. Mousekeeping envelopes!
35. 2 days left, what are we gonna do our last day?!
36. We're off!

Hello everyone! Welcome to our pre-trip report for May 2009!! This trip is going to be a wild ride, and I’m very excited to share it with my dis-family for comments and support!! Before we get into the juicy details, lets introduce the cast! Lets start with us, brother and sister, main cast for this trip!

Nicole: Lots of disney trips under the belt, loves planning for each and every one of them! Resort switcher and vacation planner! I work with apple computers and use a lot of what I learn at work, effective in my disney planning so stay tuned for more of that if you are a Mac or iPhone user!

David: High school student entering into his senior year in September 2009! Enjoys playing guitar, classic rock tunes, and just like every other 17 year old video games!! He has been to 4 different Disney hotels in the past 3 years: POR, POFQ, CSR, and AKL. AKL of course was his favorite, he still wears the hat MeMom and BrooklynnsMommy got him to this day! That trip was a brother and sister August 2008 trip, and it was a lot of fun to plan and be a part of, so we’re hoping for a redux with this trip in May!

Supporting cast:

Mom: Took a mother/daughter trip to POP in December 2008 and loved every minute of it! Hasn’t been to WDW too often, her last trip before that was March 2006. Really enjoyed getting the full disney experience, using the DDP and seeing all that disney christmas had to offer!

Dad: Never seen my dad more excited about something in a long time! Lets just say this is a much needed vacation away! We took a father/daughter trip in January 2009 to POFQ (his now favorite disney resort) used the DDP and he loved every minute of it!

I just want to add that before a few weeks ago I had no idea this was the Podcast cruise. As a matter of fact if I remember correctly, the original dates I booked (May 3rd) was to avoid the podcast cruise because mom and dad don't know what that is! But when I had to change the cruise dates it completely slipped my mind! Oh well, i'm sure they'll meet some great Dis-ers who can show them the way!

So lets talk about plans! This trip is a unique one. Unless I win the lottery, probably won’t be repeated in the near future, so we want to cherish every moment! I have been saving since April of last year and am very excited that for the first time I get to pay everything off in cash! This year is my parents 25th anniversary and I knew from the time I was little I wanted to do something really special. So I started to think if maybe I should throw them a party, but as I thought more and more about it, I really wanted to send them on a vacation. They hadn’t been anywhere in years and there favorite kind of travel is a cruise! So i looked into cruising. My grandparents best friend is a travel agent and asked her to look into it for me. They had been on Royal Carribbean, Carnival and Princess and loved each one! I did some research online, with a Disney cruise in the back of my mind because I was worried about kids and didn’t think for their anniversary that would be the best to do. I had some criteria though!

1. It had to dock out of Port Canaveral so David and I could drop them off, and stay in Disney to play!
2. The ship had to be beautiful and have ammenities my parents would love

So my grandparents friend came back with 2 ships: Carnival and Royal Carribbean. I thought for sure that Royal Carribbean was the answer until I looked up the ship. It was an old ship and also very small same with the Carnival. So I was a little upset at the reviews it was getting around the internet. I posted in the DCL forums here on the DIS just out of curiosity asking for opinions from adults about the different ships vs. DCL. I got an onslaught of replies!! People of all ages RAVING about DCL. Saying how it was the most child-free cruise they had ever been on because of all the children activities!! After doing a little research on my own, a few weeks later it was booked! DCL Wonder May 10-14th. I couldn’t wait to tell them but was a little apprehensive about the fact that it was a DCL would they like it? Finally the day approached. It was their 24th anniversary and I knew this was a good time to present it to them! But if you know me, we all know I don’t do gifts without making them work for it a little! David and I had really thought about this one! We decided to send them on a pirate scavenger hunt! We assembled scrolls and even burnt the edges to make it look authentic!

Then we gave them the first scroll:

It led them to the first “clue” (2 happy anniversary buttons courtesy of a member of the DIS: glitterkittyy how awesome is that!! and another scroll!

Which led them to another “clue” (A DCL pin i found on ebay) and another scroll:

Which finally led them to the “treasure” with the final scroll and a box full of t-shirts that looked like this:

So how did it work out? We video taped the entire thing (ignore the pajamas) We hope you enjoy it!

Click Here for the video!

So I hope you enjoyed the reveal of the cruise!! But obviously theres a lot more to share! ADRs, park plans, resort stay!! I hope you stay tuned!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Last edited by Nicole786; 07-26-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

I LOVE IT!! What nice kids you are - they are going to LOVE it. We went last June and were all adults (for the most part, my sister was 17 but she hung out with us) and had a blast.

Looking forward to more!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
I LOVE IT!! What nice kids you are - they are going to LOVE it. We went last June and were all adults (for the most part, my sister was 17 but she hung out with us) and had a blast.

Looking forward to more!
Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping they'll love it, they are certainly looking forward to it!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
CanadianWDWfan
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm here!

Had to come see what's up...

Will there be David's thoughts again?

Loved the last TR, I'm sure this one will be great too.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
MeMom
DIS Veteran

As I recall, there was something about sparks flying when you burned the paper, too! Your activities could be borderline dangerous sometimes!

I am definitely on board for this cruise and the 'play at Disney while you wait' part, too! Your parents will take pictures on the cruise for us, won't they?

I'm so glad you and your dad had such a good time on your trip together!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianWDWfan View Post
Hi, I'm here!

Had to come see what's up...

Will there be David's thoughts again?

Loved the last TR, I'm sure this one will be great too.
Yes there will be david's thought! Probably in the next post unless he posts a reply before then! Happy to have you back for this adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
As I recall, there was something about sparks flying when you burned the paper, too! Your activities could be borderline dangerous sometimes!

I am definitely on board for this cruise and the 'play at Disney while you wait' part, too! Your parents will take pictures on the cruise for us, won't they?

I'm so glad you and your dad had such a good time on your trip together!
Haha thats right I say that sparks flew in the video They did! But we had water handy lol. Glad to see you MeMom, the adventure can't start without you!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Grybo
Figment of Imagination

Hey everyone! Sorry to be tardy to the party. I'm so pumped for this upcoming trip I never shut up about it!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
DWFan4Life
DIS Veteran

Great PR coming here. I'm looking forward in hearing more from you after your trip.

Have a nice day everyone.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

very cool video, i am suprised it took them so long to figure it out, my mom would have been asking on the cruise pin, what that was all about and said she figured it out early.

cant wait to read all about it.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

Hey Nicole! Can't wait to hear more I will live vicariously through MeMom and then you until I can get to the end of July!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grybo View Post
Hey everyone! Sorry to be tardy to the party. I'm so pumped for this upcoming trip I never shut up about it!
THis is very true but of course all 4 of us don't shut up about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFan4Life View Post
Great PR coming here. I'm looking forward in hearing more from you after your trip.

Have a nice day everyone.
Thanks for coming along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'm here! I'm here!
Yay! Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
very cool video, i am suprised it took them so long to figure it out, my mom would have been asking on the cruise pin, what that was all about and said she figured it out early.

cant wait to read all about it.
Yeah if you watch closely at david's reaction he's giving sort of a "what the..?" look to me. Its sort of an inside joke that our parents NEVER get stuff like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
Hey Nicole! Can't wait to hear more I will live vicariously through MeMom and then you until I can get to the end of July!
Yay so glad you're here Jill!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Hey Nicole and David!

I am reading along too. Thanks for the invite. I think I'll start our PT when your just about ready to go. That way, I can live vicariously for a bit first.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

I love the video of you & your brother surprising your parents! Your mom is adorable and I love their reaction when it finally clicks that they're going on a cruise. Too cute!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Hey Nicole and David!

I am reading along too. Thanks for the invite. I think I'll start our PT when your just about ready to go. That way, I can live vicariously for a bit first.
I look forward to the PT! Glad you could join the party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
I love the video of you & your brother surprising your parents! Your mom is adorable and I love their reaction when it finally clicks that they're going on a cruise. Too cute!
Im glad you enjoyed the video, we had a blast planning it! Their reaction was just what I was hoping for! Sort of like this:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: