The Internet's Largest and Friendliest Disney Community WDWinfo.com | DISboards.com | Dreams Unlimited Travel
DISboards
Sheraton Resort Orlando
Beautiful Rooms and Atmosphere

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions > Hotel & Accommodations Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #931
erinch
DIS Veteran
 
erinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lititz, PA
Posts: 1,748

And can anyone who has been there recently tell me how the wireless is doing in the units? It was abysmal 2 years ago.
erinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #932
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDplus3 View Post
We are headed back to Vistana again this year; arriving in about 27 days. I will be using Diamond Lane again, hoping to get into Springs near the pool.
We will be there the same time (we arrive the 23rd of August). Here's to some sunshiny skies and no hurricanes!
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #933
jaspereira
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6

Best building for our needs - help please!

Hi, folks!

We are heading to the Sheraton Vistana Resort for a 2-week stay in October (Oct. 17th - Nov. 1st).

We are not owners, nor rented through RCI, timeshares. We are simple guests.

Since this is our first time in the property, what would you recommend, based on the following list:

1) We would like a new/refurbished/updated room.
2) We need a quiet room.
3) The reservation includes two queen beds (not single) in the second room.
4) As we are traveling with two kids (2 year old/6 year old), we will have lots of luggage and a stroller as well. I thought in a building with an elevator (Cascades or Lakes, I think); but what would be best: Cascades/Lakes or a first floor in another building?

Thanks for all help!
jaspereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #934
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspereira View Post
Hi, folks!

We are heading to the Sheraton Vistana Resort for a 2-week stay in October (Oct. 17th - Nov. 1st).

We are not owners, nor rented through RCI, timeshares. We are simple guests.

Since this is our first time in the property, what would you recommend, based on the following list:

1) We would like a new/refurbished/updated room.
2) We need a quiet room.
3) The reservation includes two queen beds (not single) in the second room.
4) As we are traveling with two kids (2 year old/6 year old), we will have lots of luggage and a stroller as well. I thought in a building with an elevator (Cascades or Lakes, I think); but what would be best: Cascades/Lakes or a first floor in another building?

Thanks for all help!
1) All rooms are recently updated, so no worries there.
2) I would simply request "non-pool view", and not backing I-4 or fronting 535
3) This leaves out some of Lakes/Cascades (King in 2nd of all 2BR lockoff so only the pure 2BR units), Courts and Falls (singles in 2nd).
4) Cascades or Lakes have elevators, but you could request a ground floor unit anywhere else. I like the ground floor units for easy access to Barbeques if you plan on doing that. It's very nice to just walk out the door and hop in the car on your way out. Note that the lower rise (non-elevator) sections are often quieter because they are less crowded. There will always be some noise though; there are a lot of people in the area, and there are always a few who are lacking in social graces...
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #935
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
1) All rooms are recently updated, so no worries there.
2) I would simply request "non-pool view", and not backing I-4 or fronting 535
3) This leaves out some of Lakes/Cascades (King in 2nd of all 2BR lockoff so only the pure 2BR units), Courts and Falls (singles in 2nd).
4) Cascades or Lakes have elevators, but you could request a ground floor unit anywhere else. I like the ground floor units for easy access to Barbeques if you plan on doing that. It's very nice to just walk out the door and hop in the car on your way out. Note that the lower rise (non-elevator) sections are often quieter because they are less crowded. There will always be some noise though; there are a lot of people in the area, and there are always a few who are lacking in social graces...
So if I am reading this correctly, some "2 bedroom" units in Lakes have a king in the master and a king in the 2nd bedroom?

DS would die and go to heaven if he had a king bed for the week.
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #936
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinch View Post
And can anyone who has been there recently tell me how the wireless is doing in the units? It was abysmal 2 years ago.
They have now installed a second network with (somewhat) better speed and access. This new network does have a surcharge however ($6-8 a day if I recall, owners pay less than guests since we paid to install the network in the first place), but we stuck with the original free network last time and it was fine. Actually the old network is probably improved by having some of the load moved to the new network.

The service has never been stellar, but as a tech guy I am impressed by how good it is. Even compared to putting WiFi in our office or a tower hotel, getting coverage across several acres of campus property is a much greater challenge. The antenna masts on the outside of the buildings are HUGE if you look for them. Alot of your quality depends on how close you are to one of the masts, so some units are better than others, and some spots in a unit may be better than others. Often sitting on the screen porch can get you better service.

The other issue is loading. The network is usually pretty quick in the morning if you are checking for changes in park hours etc. Early evenings when people are back from the pools and the parks it gets pretty slow; but then we're on vacation so not in a rush. I think it's fine for e-mail and browsing; my kids complain when they try to stream movies to their ipods (thus jamming the network for everyone else).
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #937
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
I am interested to know the answer to this question as well. Our Diamond Lane requests will be submitted this Friday and was wondering how we would know if the online form was received.
Gina, I'd send yours now. Aren't you leaving in just a couple of days? Give them a bit of time to get your requests together!

Frankie's response sounds very generic, mine was a bit more specific the last time I requested; mostly because they took the time to tell me why they couldn't grant one of my requests (the request was a bit of a "flier" but you don't get if you don't ask so I was fine that they couldn't grant it).

I suspect that responses are probably based on how busy they are in that department; others have posted here that they never got a reply. Of course it is possible to submit the form without providing them a proper e-mail as well which makes responding impossible.

Note that they don't really take a close look at requests until about 2 weeks out when they get all their exchange reservations from RCI and II. That's a big part of their volume, so there's not much use in space planning before that. Once they know who's coming, then they start to figure things out.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #938
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Gina, I'd send yours now. Aren't you leaving in just a couple of days? Give them a bit of time to get your requests together!

Frankie's response sounds very generic, mine was a bit more specific the last time I requested; mostly because they took the time to tell me why they couldn't grant one of my requests (the request was a bit of a "flier" but you don't get if you don't ask so I was fine that they couldn't grant it).

I suspect that responses are probably based on how busy they are in that department; others have posted here that they never got a reply. Of course it is possible to submit the form without providing them a proper e-mail as well which makes responding impossible.

Note that they don't really take a close look at requests until about 2 weeks out when they get all their exchange reservations from RCI and II. That's a big part of their volume, so there's not much use in space planning before that. Once they know who's coming, then they start to figure things out.
My 4-week mark is this coming Friday. Our check in day is August 23rd. Still a little while to wait but getting closer!
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #939
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
So if I am reading this correctly, some "2 bedroom" units in Lakes have a king in the master and a king in the 2nd bedroom?

DS would die and go to heaven if he had a king bed for the week.
Yes, these would be 2BR Lockoffs - really two 1BR units joined together so both BR are masters. They are popular for ownership with TS Owners because they provide a lot of flexibility. Unfortunately they aren't easy to snag on a reservation as most owners split them if not using them. I have a 3BR LO at another resort that I ALWAYS split when I deposit because it gives me almost twice as much trading power when done that way; but if I ever wanted to host 11 of my closest friends in a single unit I could do that. In hindsight now that idea makes me
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #940
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
My 4-week mark is this coming Friday. Our check in day is August 23rd. Still a little while to wait but getting closer!
Ah okay, your timing is fine. For some reason I thought your departure was end of THIS month. Good, gives me a bit more time to get my long overdue review up before you leave (since everyone will be heading over to your TR after you get back). I've actually got the first 3 chapters ready to go, just need to link in the pictures.

Stay cool until you go...
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #941
teacherlovesdisney
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15

Concern?

Hi folks- Should I be concerned that I haven't heard back from Diamond Lane?
teacherlovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #942
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Yes, these would be 2BR Lockoffs - really two 1BR units joined together so both BR are masters. They are popular for ownership with TS Owners because they provide a lot of flexibility. Unfortunately they aren't easy to snag on a reservation as most owners split them if not using them. I have a 3BR LO at another resort that I ALWAYS split when I deposit because it gives me almost twice as much trading power when done that way; but if I ever wanted to host 11 of my closest friends in a single unit I could do that. In hindsight now that idea makes me
Thanks for the clarification . I would never request one of the lockoffs for the simple reason that we are a tiny family of 3, and to have that much space (two kitchens, two sets of washer/dryers, two living areas) would be a waste for such a small group. They are best held for those folks who really need that additional room. But two king beds in our villa is nice to dream about .

I think we are going to request a top-floor unit in either Spas, Fountains 1 or Lakes, close to a pool(s) and a basketball court. I am sure they will have no problems accommodating us in one of those three sections, particularly the latter two when those seem to be where they put the generic rental guests (Spas, while that's our first choice, might be harder I know when we check in on a Friday and out on a Saturday). As long as we don't border I-4 or the other highway, I am a happy girl.

One month from right this moment we will be at the airport in Syracuse. Woot, woot!!

Can't wait to read your write-ups once they are posted. I know you've already provided me with most of the pics and the info, but I will admit to reading them in my "spare" time when I'm needing a little pick-me-up .
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #943
teacherlovesdisney
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15

Gyms

Hi all-

Could I get some more information on the health club/gym(s) at Sheraton Vistana Resort? Specifically, it seems that there are multiple fitness centers. Do any offer classes? Locker room with sauna and/or steam rooms? Is any one fitness center the most equipped? Is Yoga offered? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
teacherlovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #944
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlovesdisney View Post
Hi all-

Could I get some more information on the health club/gym(s) at Sheraton Vistana Resort? Specifically, it seems that there are multiple fitness centers. Do any offer classes? Locker room with sauna and/or steam rooms? Is any one fitness center the most equipped? Is Yoga offered? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Well here's one I might need some help on. Although I hit the gym 3 times a week at home, I don't generally go while on vacation, especially in Orlando. We probably walk about 10k per day at the parks, and that's all the exercise I need.

Classes I'd say probably not. I don't recall seeing any in the activity sheets, and the gyms don't have exercise studios. They do sometimes have aquafit in the pools. Lockers are possible at the gym, I haven't noticed. There are locker rooms and sauna at the Spas Super Pool, and probably elsewhere in other recreation centres.

If you want gym and sauna together, North side probably makes the most sense. The Fountains Fitness Centre has both sauna and gym. On the South side they are separated; gyms in Cascades and Falls Fitness Centres and saunas in Springs and Spas, although if you end up on the South side, they really aren't that far apart (about a one to two block walk).

The fitness centres are nicely, but not extravagantly, equipped. Cardio treadmills, elliptical and upright or recumbent bikes, free weights and some basic exercise stations (lat bar, maybe a smith?).
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #945
teacherlovesdisney
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15

Hi all,

First, thanks for the info on the gyms, if anyone else can chime in, that would be great.

Second, I got my diamond lane confirmation. They said they have received my info, so that is good. I am arriving on a Tuesday, however, so they said Diamond Lane check in won't be open and to use the main welcome center. . . I assume this is no big deal?

Another question I had is this, do we have the ability to spend an afternoon at the other Vistana resort? Use, the pool and such?

Any other tips?

Getting excited, almost there!!
teacherlovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: