Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #106
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Tangerine Cafe

Thus ends my first trip in February, and begins my second trip. This day was my birthday

The cast of characters, as mentioned in the edited first post has slightly changed, with my boyfriend joining me:

We decided since we had a late dinner that we would have a late lunch. I'm not much of an adventurous eater, but since dating him I've tried Thai food, Sushi, Humus, etc etc. He says, "try this, you'll like it" and I give him a weird look and take a small bite. He's right more times that not...it doesn't help his ego

So anyways, I had heard great things about the Tangerine Cafe in Morocco, but it was definitely something I wouldn't have tried on my own. So the plan was to get the Shwarma (a favorite dish of his) and split it. If I liked it his head can swell a bit more. If not, we could walk around to Germany can I could get Brat w/ sauerkraut like a good PA Dutch girl Well...his head swelled...there will be no living with him now

This is the Shwarma platter:

We got the Chicken and Lamb Combo. The wraps they were doing here also looked really good, they were on the pita. Oh, and we got Baklava. He ate that. I dislike Walnuts. He made me try it anyway, but at least I was right on that We really liked the Tangerine Cafe. I would recommend it. The flavors were a lot more mild than I was expecting! The portions were also very large here. We easily split this lunch. Now, neither of us were overly hungry and he had a snack later in the day, but there was no way that I would have finished that by myself. Also felt that everything we ate was very light, so I didn't feel like it sat really heavy in my stomach which was nice especially for how warm it was that day.

Last edited by onelilspark; 03-06-2009 at 11:45 AM.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #107
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Epcot Snacks

I'm getting antsy just sitting and waiting for the work day to end, so how about another update? Sounds good

As I mentioned previously, we decided to have a late lunch since we had a late dinner, plus it made the most since with our "touring plan." ...which to be honest was just I want to do this ride, this ride, this ride, then let's eat, ok! But around 11/1130ish we started to get hungry Ah ha! We were in the Land! So we decided to split a chocolate croissant. But of course I forgot to take a picture of it It was good, though a rather typical chocolate croissant. I always think they should have these warmed slightly, but no one does that...

Then we did rides, then we had lunch (see post #106.)

After meandering for a bit, we were getting slightly parched. (What? Tasty beverages are snacks too. Besides, it was my birthday! ) I had my favorite, the Pomegranate Kir...which isn't on the menu, but you can still order, FYI! And the BF had a Grey Goose Slushie.

There really isn't much to "review" here. I mean, I knew I'd like these drinks. They're tasty. Try them

After wandering for a bit more, it was snack time. But not for me. A) I don't like coconut. B) I wasn't really hungry. So my boyfriend had the ever popular School Bread, and I had an apple juice! Yum

He made me try a bite of this too. Even though I hate coconut. Yeah, I didn't like it. But you know, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. He really liked it. Ate the whole thing Then I noticed these little guys everywhere:

I've never seen the trolls placed around like that. Weird. I posted a thread on it and someone mentioned it could be for Flower & Garden. I suppose that would make sense. And make me feel less non-observant.

Next up: Kona for my birthday dinner! Only three left
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #108
msce2
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the review of Tangerine Cafe!!!!

We will be there in May, and that was the exact dish I was planning on getting. It looks yummy! Can't wait!!!!

Me(31) DH(33) DS(11) DD(7) DS(4)

AKV - Jan 2011
BLT - June 2010
BCV - May 2009
BCV - May 2003
msce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #109
Alice28
DIS Veteran
I'm Doombah Frickin Butt, nice to meet you!

I LOVE Tangierine! One of my absolute favorites. I'm glad you liked it too.

I'm wondering if those little trolls are part of the new Kim Possible thing they are doing in the World Showcase???
Alice28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #110
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post

After meandering for a bit, we were getting slightly parched. (What? Tasty beverages are snacks too. Besides, it was my birthday! ) I had my favorite, the Pomegranate Kir...which isn't on the menu, but you can still order, FYI! And the BF had a Grey Goose Slushie.

Did you get the pomegranate kir outside in France? It looks great! Would you mind describing what it tastes like? I want to try one in May, but I'm not sure where to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Then I noticed these little guys everywhere:

I've never seen the trolls placed around like that. Weird. I posted a thread on it and someone mentioned it could be for Flower & Garden. I suppose that would make sense. And make me feel less non-observant.

Next up: Kona for my birthday dinner! Only three left
I've never seen the trolls in random spots either. When was your trip? For some reason I thought it was recent, which wouldn't be during the F & GF.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #111
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msce2 View Post
Thank you for the review of Tangerine Cafe!!!!

We will be there in May, and that was the exact dish I was planning on getting. It looks yummy! Can't wait!!!!
It was yummy! And big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice28 View Post
I LOVE Tangierine! One of my absolute favorites. I'm glad you liked it too.

I'm wondering if those little trolls are part of the new Kim Possible thing they are doing in the World Showcase???
That could be a possibility too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
Did you get the pomegranate kir outside in France? It looks great! Would you mind describing what it tastes like? I want to try one in May, but I'm not sure where to get it.

I've never seen the trolls in random spots either. When was your trip? For some reason I thought it was recent, which wouldn't be during the F & GF.
The pomegranate kir was in the same kiosk as the slushies. As I said, it's not on the menu, so don't be surprised. It's a pomegranate liquor and champagne/sparkling wine.

The trolls were out on Feb 28. They were starting to prepare for F&GF, which is why it wouldn't be totally out of the question. I guess it's one of those things where we'll have to see if they're out in July!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #112
ciera321
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your reviews. Some of your pictures are so beautiful they could be postcards!!! Thanks for sharing...

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #113
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

JUst found your reviews! Loving it. Man, I've gotta get back to WDW soon! There food is so great. I'm from the West, so I end up in DLR more. But, I miss all the food choices at WDW!

Can't wait to hear more!
mt mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #114
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera321 View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews. Some of your pictures are so beautiful they could be postcards!!! Thanks for sharing...
Aww, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt mommy View Post
JUst found your reviews! Loving it. Man, I've gotta get back to WDW soon! There food is so great. I'm from the West, so I end up in DLR more. But, I miss all the food choices at WDW!

Can't wait to hear more!
I've never been to Disneyland, I really want to go. Someday

Kona: dinner coming up!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #115
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Kona Cafe: Dinner

We had a late (well, kind of late 7:45) dinner ADR at Kona. Prior to this trip I'd only ever been to Kona for breakfast, not dinner. I was trying to figure out where to "celebrate" my birthday dinner and decided on Kona because I figured it would have a fun atmosphere with it being open and then we could go down to the beach and watch the fireworks Our ADR was originally for 8:30 since Wishes was at 8. Then a few weeks before we left, they changed the time! They moved it to 9. Ohhhhh it would ruin everything! So I called back and moved us up. Genius I tell you...

We got there a little early (I forgot how close together Epcot and the MK are!) And checked in. We were seated fairly quickly.

I already knew what I was going to order, so it was mainly deciding on what drinks to have!

I went with the Kona Cool Sundown.

This was delicious. I loved it! I have no idea what's in it... My boyfriend had a glass of red wine...boring.

We contemplated sharing an appetizer, but since neither of us were that hungry, decided just to stick with the tasty bread

At this point, we realized how close together the tables were. I mean, we were easily overhearing other people's conversations and it was obvious to the point that we all started chiming in and talking to each other. I know this seems to be a standard Disney complaint, but at breakfast I don't mind this as much. Dinner? Yeah...I'd like a little space.

Time for food! After seeing it here on the DIS (where else?) I knew I wanted to try the Tuna Oscar. Ooooo buddy, this was right up my ally! I love any kind of "Oscar" dish and I love ahi tuna and I love fried green tomatoes.

Well, it didn't disappoint! Which was really a feat considering how much I had built it up! The tuna was cooked perfectly, the flavors were great together, and the tempura crab added a nice touch of Asian influence to the dish.

My boyfriend had the Teryaki Strip Steak. He loved it. I tried a bite, it was delicious. Cooked perfectly.

We were fairly full, but remember that conversation we were having with the people next to us? It was about dessert and the Banana Creme Brulee. ...and how the men all want a blow torch now So we had to try it. We split it:

It was very good. Not too heavy on the banana, but the chocolate on the bottom really gave it something extra. A tasty dessert!

And since it was my birthday I got a little something extra:

It was a little cream puff. When they brought some out of the kitchen, they had candles in them and were singing Happy Birthday to people. I'm so glad they didn't do that to me. It was tasty. A few bites of sweet

We ended dinner with about 15 minutes to spare to get outside and find a place to sit. Quite perfect timing!

It was fairly crowded on the beach, I was a little disappointed by that...I guess I thought there would be like 5 people around? I don't know what I was thinking! But we found a palm tree to prop ourselves up against:

We couldn't hear the music from where we were, but that was ok. We did get to see the Water Pageant too, that was an unexpected treat. And here's a terrible picture of the fireworks
Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #116
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great reviews - we've tried Kona for breakfast but not dinner - that may change in October....
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #117
svalencia1
Mouseketeer

Love your reviews! I am glad you liked the Tuna Oscar. I can't wait to try it for myself in a few months! It looks amazing.
svalencia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #118
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great reviews - we've tried Kona for breakfast but not dinner - that may change in October....
The only thing we really didn't like about dinner was how close the tables were together. But the food and service were great

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalencia1 View Post
Love your reviews! I am glad you liked the Tuna Oscar. I can't wait to try it for myself in a few months! It looks amazing.
It was very good! There was a spicy rub on the Tuna, usually I'm not that into spices, but I thought it was really good!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #119
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Subscribing!

Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
livinlife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #120
Tbelle1976
DIS Veteran

DH and I also shared the Shawarma Platter last month. We loved it so much we went back a second time to get the same thing. It was one of our absolute favorite CS meals of the trip and because of it we will be going to Marrakesh in October.

Great reviews!
Tbelle1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: