Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Everything Eeyore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
We had to put about £10 in to open it but now that it is open there is no minimum amount
Popped into a HSBC branch yesterday to enquire about opening a US account and they said there would be monthly fees involved. Not sure if they really knew what they were talking about though to be honest....

So, Susieh do you know the exact name of the HSBC US account please? I can then ask again. Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #32
susieh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everything Eeyore View Post
Popped into a HSBC branch yesterday to enquire about opening a US account and they said there would be monthly fees involved. Not sure if they really knew what they were talking about though to be honest....

So, Susieh do you know the exact name of the HSBC US account please? I can then ask again. Thanks
Our US account is a Premier Account (we have a UK Premier account). We don't pay a monthly fee for either account but I know that HSBC does charge for UK Premier accounts unless you meet their criteria so maybe that's what she was referring to.

I have no idea about US accounts linked to other HSBC Current account types.

Good luck with your searching - we've been really pleased with the way ours has worked out. We also discovered that we get free withdrawals from ATMs - all the fees we paid when we withdrew cash in Colorado in January have been refunded on our latest bank statement.

WDW 1992 ; OKW 1994 ; DL 1996 ; OKW 1997 ; OKW 1998 ; DLP 1999 ; OKW 2001 ; VB 2001 ; HH 2002 ;
OKW 2004 ; OKW 2006 ; BCV 2008 ; OKW Dec 2009 OKW August 2011

OKW August 2014
susieh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #33
leise
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info in this thread. We opened a SunTrust account when we went at Easter. All ok so far, but we are trying to work out how to transfer money into it, especially as the pound is strengthening!
Our bank (Barclays) will charge us £25 a go.

Some of you mentioned using Paypal - how do you do this? We have a UK Paypal account we can use, but how do we pay into the SunTrust account?

Any advice would be very gratefully received

leise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 AM   #34
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leise View Post
Thanks for all the info in this thread. We opened a SunTrust account when we went at Easter. All ok so far, but we are trying to work out how to transfer money into it, especially as the pound is strengthening!
Our bank (Barclays) will charge us £25 a go.

Some of you mentioned using Paypal - how do you do this? We have a UK Paypal account we can use, but how do we pay into the SunTrust account?

Any advice would be very gratefully received
Hi

We opened our SunTrust account in March

We have funded it using Paypal. To do it you need to have funds in your paypal account (you can add funds by DD from your bank account but this takes ages so as me & DH have a Paypal account each DH sends me a instant transfer using the bank account as funding done as a gift so there are no paypal fees) you can then transfer them to Dollars using the manage currency option. Then you need to add your SunTrust account onto your bank account to withdraw the funds to.

In the 'Add account' option there is a drop down box where you can select a US bank account.

Be warned the rate PayPal gives is about 4 cents lower than current market rate but for transfering smaller amounts (less than about £500) it is cheaper than the bank charges.

We use if for transferring money we get from selling stuff on Ebay as that is our holiday spending money anyway.

HTH

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
leise
Mouseketeer

Elise, many thanks for that info - I have now managed to transfer money in via Paypal. Now to save up for more points!

leise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #36
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I also plan to open a Suntrust account when I'm at WDW next May.

Does anyone here have experience with cashing in checks?

As a WDC shareholder, every year I get a check for $0.73. Until now I didn't bother as cashing in the check in Switzerland would habe been much too expensive.

But with a US bank account I was wondering if there would be any charges involved if I send a check issued by Citibank Delaware to Suntrust.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #37
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I also plan to open a Suntrust account when I'm at WDW next May.

Does anyone here have experience with cashing in checks?

As a WDC shareholder, every year I get a check for $0.73. Until now I didn't bother as cashing in the check in Switzerland would habe been much too expensive.

But with a US bank account I was wondering if there would be any charges involved if I send a check issued by Citibank Delaware to Suntrust.
I think you will be fine there are no charges as far as I can remember - check with the person that opens your account.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #38
jharrowell
Disney Phreak

One thing about the Paypal route (which I've been using for a couple of years now) is that you need to plan ahead.

It takes 7 - 9 working days to transfer money out of your UK account into your PayPal account, then another 1 - 3 days to transfer it into Suntrust.

So you need to plan this in time to make sure you don't miss a dues payment, or for those like me who are a bit paranoid about that type of stuff, stay 1 month ahead.

Once you've got that US bank account though it leaves things open to getting all sorts of stuff where you can't use a UK account.

US Cell phone
(go PayandGo and the money stacks up for you as you do the periodic payments, there's no roaming charges, when ppl phone you from the UK it's on their dime, and it's so cool having an orlando area code!)

Getting APs at Seaworld & US on EZPay
(Hey if you're a DVC member you're probably out there enough to need one. )

There's more but I'd be here all day.

Follow my twitters for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at:
http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

Last edited by jharrowell; 02-27-2010 at 04:56 AM.
jharrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #39
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Just looked at the Paypal website. So if I want to transfer money into my Sunbank account, I would first top up my Paypal account by paying money into Paypal's Bank of America account in Geneva, which doesn't cost me any fees when doing it online.

Then, once the funds are added to my Paypal account, I could withdraw them again by transfering to Suntrust, right?

Under fees, it says: Personal payments Send money / Receive money: Free when you use your Paypal balance.

So I just have to pay the 1% fee for cross-border personal transactions, right?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
Sid74
Mouseketeer

I've just spoken on the phone to someone at HSBC International banking about a US account.

It costs £100 to open from the UK, £50 for advance account customers. I believe that the Premier account is the step up from advance so that is probably why it didn't cost anything. There is a monthly $8 fee unless you have over $2500 in the account or pay your salary in each month.

You can go into any US branch of HSBC and open the account for free, but they don't have any Orlando branches. The $8 monthly fee still applies.

It is a checking account, which gives you a check book and a debit card, and also pays direct debits.

It would definately be useful for paying dues, but as the Sun Trust accounts seem to be free, I am a bit torn.
There is the ease of just transfering money every month between HSBC accounts, rather than the hassle of juggling paypal payments, versus the fee.

I could just stick to my Citibank US account, but that means paying dues in a lump sum each January. As it is also my dollar saving account for holiday spending money, there is the danger of overspending and being short on the dues.
If I go with the HSBC account I will have 2 different US accounts. I suppose I could use one just for dues and one just for spending money.

Isn't it a good thing that the holidays are worth the extra thinking, lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #41
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

The Suntrust account is free - I wouldn't be paying an $8 a month fee just to be able to pay your dues monthly.
Using someone like XE makes transfering the money fairly painless too.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #42
D1znee
D1znee

Where is the one in DTD ??? Also are these single accounts or joint acounts with same or different surnames. We will be there in June
D1znee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #43
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Sun Trust at DTD is opposite the Ghirardelli / Team Mickey building, on the other side of Buena Vista Dr, in between Disney Casting and Hilton Hotel.

It's a big square mirror glass building with drive-thru teller plaza in front.

Don't know about the different type of accounts they have, I would write them an e-mail, they are pretty fast answering them.

I will go there on the last day of my stay in May, before leaving to the airport. Will drop the ladies at DTD so they won't get bored.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #44
Bumbleink
Mouseketeer

SUN TRUST BANK what type of questions do they ask?

Hi

Not wishing to be nosey but can anyone tell me what the questionaire is like for opening an American Bank Account. I know what type of questions you get asked when you open a UK account but is it a similar set up.

Also apart from id is there anything else you need to take with you.

Just wondered as not being a home owner i wondered if that went against you like it can in the scoring system here in the UK.

Thanks

Proud owners at AKV and SSR
Bahama Bay 2007, Port Orleans French Quarter 2008
OKW, BCV & AKV 2010, Going Back in 2013!!!

Bumbleink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #45
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Hi

They didn't ask us hardly anything - they just wanted to know we would be using the account regularly.

We took Passports and photo driving licences for ID.

HTH

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: