Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
baz212
Earning My Ears

When 5/deluxe become 3/value, the downgrading of a trip

Sometime in the fall I started planning a trip for 5 of us at the Contemporary over Thanksgiving week 2009. It would be perfect. THe players wer to be Me (Megan 29), DH (A. J. 32), DS(Julien 5), DM(my mom 56) and DD(my dad 58). My DD was almost a year from his colon cancer diagnosis and the oncologist had just told us that he was in partial remission and would be switching to an oral chemo, so traveling would be a lot easier and DM was retiring from teaching in June. DD was the biggest Disney fanatic (and photography buff) in the family with me a close second. He couldn't wait to experience Disney with my DS5.

In November the bad news started coming, and to be honest most of it is a giant blur. 1 month and two surgeries later, my dad died. Two months after being told he was in remission. The trip is now down to 4 and was switched to CBR in a pirate room in June. DM had decided to teach one more year, so the trip had to be in summer, and CBR was cheaper, plus we didn't need the extra bed anymore. We booked it using the buy four get three deal.

Then in January DH got laid off. We immediately downgraded the stay to Pop Century. We don't spend much time in the room anyway, so an easy cost savings.

It is now April and DH still hasn't found a job or even gotten an interview, and he's been averaging 3 apps/day since early Jan. Including weekends. As we approached the 45 day mark we decided to drop him from the res. We would rather pay the extra money to have him join us after the 45 day mark, than pay $50 bucks and get nothing out of it.

We will be driving down from Central IL and staying at POP from 6/12-6/19.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
baz212
Earning My Ears

We plan on leaving early in the morning on Wednesday the 10th and driving to just past Nashville for an overnight stay. We want to do a tour of Mammoth Cave that day.

The next day we plan on leaving early and driving down to Lake City Fl before stopping for the night. That leaves us with a short drive to WDW and a start to the fun. Boy do we need it.

Since I'm new to DIS, I'll give a little info. I am a librarian at a small rural public library in Central IL. DH is/was an IT person. This will be my 8th trip to WDW. DS5's 2nd, and my mom's 7th trip. We decided to go all inclusive with park hoppers, WP&M, and the basic DDP. We can always scrimp on souveniers if we have to, but at least everything else is already paid for except for gas and food on the drive. We are staying at hotels using rewards cards points on the way down and back.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
pennymom
DIS Veteran

baz212, I am so sorry it has been so hard for your family. It sure sounds like you all need a little magic. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry to hear what your family has gone through! You definitely deserve this trip!! It will be a great trip for all of you to relax and have fun!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
baz212
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear what your family has gone through! You definitely deserve this trip!! It will be a great trip for all of you to relax and have fun!
Thanks. It's been rough. Julien was really close to his Papa and he's been acting up in school more lately, which he has never done before. We have been told by all of teachers since he was a baby that they can't believe how well behaved he is. My mom really needs this trip too. My dad was a teacher also, so they always had all summer together. This summer's gonna be rough on everyone. I keep hoping that DH will be hired by a school district before the trip, and won't have to start until after because of the school's fiscal year. Then he could go with us too. Otherwise he'll be too new at a job or shouldn't risk not being around if he gets called for an interview.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 09-29-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
baz212
Earning My Ears

I was able to get all of the ADRs that I wanted by calling first thing at 90 days out.

Friday 6/12 arrival and MK - Chef Mickey's 5:30 (I had this one made as soon as the trip was booked because of the quirk they had in ADR windows during the transition.)

Saturday 6/13 DHS for Star Wars Weekend - no ADRs for this day. I would like to stay at DHS all day until the hoopla thing at 7, but I'm not sure how DS5 will do. We will play it by ear and could leave the park anytime after the Star Wars parade. If we leave early we will probably try to do Trex at DTD, otherwise we will just do CS.

Sunday 6/14 Epcot morning and afternoon evening up in the air - Rose and Crown 12:05

Monday 6/15 Animal Kingdom Morning and DHS evening - Tusker House Breakfast 8 paying out of pocket and Mama Melrose Fantasmic package at 4.

Tuesday 6/16 Waterpark morning and Epcot evening - Chef's de France 5:10

Wednesday 6/17 AK morning MK evening - Artist Point 5:35

Thursday 6/18 DHS morning and Epcot evening - Le Cellier 4:55

Friday 6/19 MK and departure - No ADRs this day. We will want to maximize ride and shopping time before heading home sometime in the afternoon. We will use up any snack or CS credits we have left.

All of the ADRs are still for 4. I figure we need the same size table for 3 or 4 so I can still hold out hope that DH may come, plus my SIL will be in Orlando for part of that week and may join us for a meal or two.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
baz212
Earning My Ears

My mom's birthday was Friday and I was trying to think of something special to do for her. She doesn't need more stuff. I decided that i wanted to do something special for her while we are at Disney. My DSIL agreed to keep DS5 for awhile. So I made reservations for the afternoon tea at Grand Floridian. My mom loves tea so this will be perfect. It's not covered on the DDP so I will be treating her. I'm excited, but a little concerned about her celiacs since all of the tea sandwiches and pastries will obviously have gluten in them. I guess I will call the special diets line this week and talk to them about what options they can offer her. I also thought I might order her the slipper dessert without the cake just the chocolate and mousse.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

That sounds like a wonderful birthday treat for your mom!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: