Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #46
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Thank you, all

Manajaq - am I seeing right - joined July, 2008 - and this is your first post? You gave up your long-term-lurker status for me? Ahhhh, thanks!!

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #47
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Friandise, anyway

What you have here are three post-dessert treats

Left: cookie - some variation on Russian tea cookie, Mexican wedding cake - almond, I think. Excellent, but for those of us of a certain age, we grew up in neighborhoods with first generation immigrants who made these from scratch every Christmas, and shared them. Excellent, familiar, but not what you would call unique (not that everything has to be unique, just observing...)

Middle: chocolate covered caramel - liquid caramel - liquid still slightly WARM caramel. Unlike anything I've had before. Buttery, rich - probably not something that can be commercially made / sold - wouldn't withstand distribution.

Right: probably has a "real" name, but to get you oriented quickly, we'll call it a "gourmet gum drop" - only soft and chewy - with fresh, tart fruit flavor. Loved it! DSs let me have them all!!

Up next (and last), a visit to the kitchen!

Firstly - LOVED the review, and despite the complications with all the white and dark - the pictures were wonderful - thank you for sharing!!

Also - Not sure it's what V&A would call them but the "gourmet gum drop" you mention - we have something very similar in the UK and they are known as Jellies....I don't eat the ones you can get in the supermarkets and such - too sweet and artifical....however, I have tried some made by top chocolatiers and they are as they should be, firm but soft, not gooey, and the fruity taste....oh boy - sweet and tart!!
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #48
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
Firstly - LOVED the review, and despite the complications with all the white and dark - the pictures were wonderful - thank you for sharing!!

Also - Not sure it's what V&A would call them but the "gourmet gum drop" you mention - we have something very similar in the UK and they are known as Jellies....I don't eat the ones you can get in the supermarkets and such - too sweet and artifical....however, I have tried some made by top chocolatiers and they are as they should be, firm but soft, not gooey, and the fruity taste....oh boy - sweet and tart!!
I am not nearly as active on these boards as I plan to be in retirement- unfortunately, that isn't anytime soon (and it's not the economy's fault...). So, thank you for the appreciation. Do you think they would have these jellies as a Godiva store - or is that not high end enough?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #49
skellingtonfreak
Disney is my life...you have a problem with that?

Amazing....simply amazing. I can only aspire to take photos as beautiful as yours during my dinner.
skellingtonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #50
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

If you liked that one, you'll really like this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellingtonfreak View Post
Amazing....simply amazing. I can only aspire to take photos as beautiful as yours during my dinner.
The California Grill has an abundance of available light - click here to those see food pictures.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #51
neatokimmo
DIS Veteran

Fantastic review!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

VERY good review!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #53
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

V&A Manager is very gracious....

I sent him a link to this thread - and he actually send me this email back:

Thanks so much for the pictures. During my travels I have taken many
pictures but never this beautiful. Each of them told a story and your
eloquence describing each item made them even better. Your story on the
wine pairing was also a wonderful compliment. I strive to find
innovative ways to offer great quality and value in our wine program and
I'm glad that you enjoyed my choices

It was a wonderful pleasure serving you and your family. Please call me
any time in the future if I may be of assistance. Perhaps we'll see you
next time at our Chef Table.
I include it here, not for his reference to my pictures, but as a compliment to him in particular and V&A in general. He didn't have to, you know? But he did.

p.s. - I don't think I should post his email address, but if you talk to him on the way out, he will probably give it to you himself.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #54
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

I think that is one heck of a fine manager!

I think so often people go to a great restaurant and compliment the servers/chef/maitre d' and all while there, and so people should. But the nature of your compliments are even more enduring.

I really liked your photos/ comments etc AND his response--not a stock phrasing of "Thank you". I feel that he was pleased and touched by your appreciation. I like these win win moments!
( warmy fuzzy feeling!)

Thanks for sharing!

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #55
styron
Mouseketeer

Works of art!
styron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #56
RCharnay
DIS Veteran

Amazing

This is one of the best reviews I've ever read/seen. Thanks for posting. I've always wanted to experience V&A but now it's a must our next trip.
2008 - Nov - Hilton Head
2008 - December/Jan - OKW
2010-Jan-VWL
2011-Jan-OKW/BWV
2011-Mar-AK SV
2012-Mar & Dec-OKW
2013-Dec-OKW
2014-Jan & Mar & Oct & Dec-OKW
RCharnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #57
cdtommie
Beerman, DVC BWV/BCV/VWL/BLT, no steak, slushies or nuggets for you!

Terrific review. I feel guilty saying this - last time at V&A's (Oct 2007) we went with another couple and stopped at Mizner's first for cocktails, then ordered a bottle of wine for the four of us to start, then all ordered the wine pairings and then finished off a half bottle of Penfold's Grange that the table next to us did not finish (I can't imagine what they charge for Grange at V&A's).
cdtommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #58
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

fab report, great pics. may try there on day when my son is older
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #59
tweetylori
Mouseketeer

Awesome report and pics...thanks! Was that potato-parsnip gratin as good as it looked?
tweetylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #60
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

What an excellent review!! The pictures alone are worth a thousand words.
Israel is an fine manager and a wine expert in his own right.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: