Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Victoria & Albert's - Picture Trip Report

This may take awhile, after all there are 6-8 courses (depending on how you count) and 3 diners.

Background: DH and I have been here twice, both in the 1990's (someone else was paying). I recall it being elegant and nice, but either they have raised the bar, or my appreciation has improved (or both), because this was WOW (well worth it). This dinner was Mom, DS(20) and DS(18) - no special event, just thought:
(a) they were old enough to appreciate it
(b) it is on the DDE list
(c) I had some Visa rewards to spend
(d) we were looking for something "new" to try (for DSs) and
(e) it had been awhile (1997).

Summary: WOW. I have to admit, I cook, I eat, I enjoy wine. I am willing to spend money on food, but I do consider the cost (value-for-the-dollar) in my decisions. I can be happy with a really good can of beans. I can appreciate a bite-sized morsel created from 16 ingredients, 8 steps, and hours of time. I considered V&A a "once a decade" experience, based on price. I will be thinking hard about how to justify returning in September with DH. 'Nuff with the words. Here are the pictures.....
For those who may not already be aware, there are other nights to this story..
Night #1 - Victoria & Alberts - Picture Trip Report (January, 2009) - THIS REPORT
Night #2 - Victoria & Albert - A Once-in-a-Decade Dinner, for the second time in 2009 (May, 2009)
Night #3 - Victoria & Albert - My Dining Scheherazade (September, 2009)
Night #4 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #4 - "Table for One" (October, 2009)
Night #5 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #5 - "Table for One - Again" 23 FEB 10 (February, 2010)
Night #6&7 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #6&7 - "I could die happy, and I am only 20" (May 2010) (February, 2010)

Last edited by ehagerty; 08-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.
ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Amuse Bouche

Wine Pairings - I thought, since I was going out on a financial limb anyway, why not try the wine pairings. I presumed they would be small (like Artist Point, or Brown Derby - on ounce or so per tasting). I was pleasantly surprised to have 6 full (normal portion, not "to the brim") glasses of wine. For $60, that works out to $10/glass - pretty reasonable at most Disney restaurants - really reasonable for the quality of what they were pouring here.

The bad news - my sons are not old enough to help out - and I typically only have a couple of glasses of wine a week, IF I am cooking with it - a relative lightweight.

The good news - one of said sober sons has a driver's license to drive us back to All Stars Sports (well, we were moving to WLV the next day, but conserve our DVC points on Fri/Sat nights). Yes, you heard me correctly - ASSp. Poor security guard at GF when he read the parking permit on the dash of the rental PT Cruiser (only car choice available to me with Avis/Priceline - was OK, though). He recovered quickly and politely noted that valet is complimentary for V&A patrons.

Oh, yes - the FOOD.

Amuse Bouche - there is no description from the menu, but I think I recall most of the items - I will make up my own descriptions...

The Amuse Bouch plate consisted on 4 sections, each containing a bite-sized tidbit of seafood, one plate per person....

Exquisitely tender morsel of lobster in butter....

Teeny-tiny, scrumptious crab cake

World's smallest, perfectly-formed salmon roll

Lobster Bisque with cream foam

Wine Pairing - Gosset Excellence Brut, Ay NV

Summary: Our mouths were definitely entertained, our tastebuds tickled.....

Last edited by ehagerty; 01-30-2009 at 04:18 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I know I just posted my own review of V&A, but I wanted what you had!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

That looks so delicious
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

My DH and I ate there in October and loved it. Looking forward to your review.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
w-family
Mouseketeer

Ok, I am hooked, I am ready for the next installment. My husband and I are cannont wait to go there some day. Right now it is a pipe dream, since we have three very small children . . . But i can live through you!

w-family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
kabuki
It's free if you pass out in the DITCH!
I don't think Brenda has seen this to "pimp" me out yet

Your photos are always nothing but amazing!
kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
engle
DIS Veteran

I almost liked the cup of lobster bisque when I had it in October. Dh reminded me that it isn't good manners!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!

Loving your review! I almost licked the screen when I saw that lobster amuse!

How did I nor realize that V&A's is on DDE??? That would save my family about $140! Even with the mandatory 18% tip! Oh this is interesting...I think I might have to talk to my DDad...He has been interested in trying V&A for quite some time.

Here's my math...

$125/person + $60/person for Food & Wine

$185/person

TOTAL (pre-tax) $555

TIP (18%) $100

TOTAL (with tax & tip) $691

With DDE $148/person

TOTAL (pre-tax) $444

TIP (18%) $80

TOTAL (with tax & tip) $550

SAVINGS $140!

Considering that we dont way to do Party for the Senses this year, which was $135/head this past year, $148 at V&A with wine tastings isn't that dramatically different. Hmm...the possibilities
UPCOMING TRIP REPORT: What's this? What's this? A Halloween AND Christmas TR? Oct/Nov 2014
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! Oct/Nov 2014~
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Yeah! I love V & A reviews although I've yet to try it. Oh, and for what it's worth, I love ASSports.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Various replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
I know I just posted my own review of V&A, but I wanted what you had!
I look forward to reading it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-family View Post
Ok, I am hooked, I am ready for the next installment. My husband and I are cannot wait to go there some day. Right now it is a pipe dream, since we have three very small children . . . But i can live through you!
We've been going to WDW since 1989 - and this is the first time we planned and paid to do this. It is worth the wait. It is also worth salting away a small sum a week with the intention of splurging in a few years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
Your photos are always nothing but amazing!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
I almost liked the cup of lobster bisque when I had it in October. Dh reminded me that it isn't good manners!!
I'm pretty sure my sons used the french bread to remove all trace of residue from the cup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_325 View Post
Loving your review! I almost licked the screen when I saw that lobster amuse!

How did I nor realize that V&A's is on DDE??? That would save my family about $140! Even with the mandatory 18% tip! Oh this is interesting...I think I might have to talk to my DDad...He has been interested in trying V&A for quite some time.
V&A on DDE - pretty nice, hmmm? I think your math and logic are impeccable. Who can resist it? As I often explain (with spreadsheets in hand) - well, its not so much that we SAVE - I'd like to think we just get really good value for the dollar.......

I'll be back, and it won't be next decade, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Yeah! I love V & A reviews although I've yet to try it. Oh, and for what it's worth, I love ASSports.
I don't mind ASSp, and I appreciate staying on Disney grounds for a reasonable price. I'd be fibbing if I said I loved it, though. I do, however, love the Wilderness Lodge. DVC, 1992 - best investment I ever made - and the only one appreciating in value and generating revenue......

Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

I am so on board for this review!!!
glasslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Bread & Butter

There were 3 duets of bread and butter between courses.

French Bread and something-special butter. This might have been the butter created by an artisan in Vermont who sells their entire inventory to Disney. Butter, perfect. Bread, perfect. Crisp crust, airy, steamy, and briefly moist when cracked open. I didn't take any notes (thought the menu would suffice for reference). Guess I'll have to do more research in September.....

Truffle bread, truffle butter - unique and delicious. You can tell from this picture that I was falling behind on the consumption of my wine pairings!

The whole wheat - or oat - bread, also very good, eluded being photographed somehow.....

Last edited by ehagerty; 01-15-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

The next course......

These "courses" do not have a name - we'll just go in menu order.....

At this point, the DSs are getting acclimated to have every crumb removed between each course, having a new napkin after each foray to the restroom, and listening to subdued harp music.

Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad and Tamari Honey Foam
(Wine Pairing = Marcel Deiss Pinot Blanc Bergheim, Alsace 2005)

Plate / Presentation

*** OR ***

Dungeness Crab Cannelloni with Baby Greens, Radishes and Italian Caviar

..... with a close up of the Cannelloni

(Side bar note - V&A is NOT an easy photo-shoot. Dark ambient light, white plates, required use of flash (for my camera, anyway), difficult focal length so close to the subject. You can really see the challenge in the contrast between the white plate and the darker roses behind it. Weddings are tough because of the contrast between groom-black and bride-white. Black belt tests are tougher because of white gees and motion. V&A was a close third. Oh, and I am an IT Project Manager by profession and the camera is Canon EOS 2006 - two questions people usually ask about this point in the thread.)

Coming up next, Elk & Duck.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: