Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #811
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Sorry about your friend.

So, it must be very different for you living in Indianapolis compared to NE indianapolis.

By the way, Tallulah was born in Indiana. All I know is that I had to drive to a different time zone to pick her up when she was a 14 week old puppy.
You do not know where you drove to get Tullulah?

I am from upstate New York--west of Michelle. I went to college in Troy, NY at an urban campus. I lived on Long Island and took the LIRR to and from school in Brooklyn for two years. I have lived in a rural town, rural region (former pasture made into housing development of 3-4 acre lots), suburbia, small city, large city, declining city and reviving city so, it is different but not so much. People are people everywhere you go. Some are charming and delightful and some are a pain in the neck. Therein lies the origin of my self tag about idiots.

And, Marilyn, a tag is a tag. For me it is more meaningful to have done it myself than if it was something that someone grabbed out of context because it made them laugh. I do not mind if it is black text instead of color.
It is mine
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #812
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfishgirl View Post
Do we really only have 5 families that want to participate in the FE?

Is there a way for people traveling with children to let us know if they are boys or girls with their ages? I know we have 3 kids that are hounding me to find out how many "friends" they will have on this cruise..
As we get closer to sailing I bet more people will get interested in FE but how about getting a conversation started here about what it means and how it works so that those who are new to the thread can decide if they are interested?

We are not participating. We downsized 4 years ago to a small condo which is 1/3 the size of our former house. We are getting rid of collections not gathering them. Our grand daughter will only be 9 months at the time of the cruise so FE gifts would not be meaningful to her as they would to older kids. Her Dad is a collector and her Mom is not so we do not want to add anything to the dilemma they deal with there.

So, it's your ball, run with it! As people express interest, I will update page 1 post 1 and if I miss anyone, let me know, OK
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #813
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is there a way for people traveling with children to let us know if they are boys or girls with their ages? I know we have 3 kids that are hounding me to find out how many "friends" they will have on this cruise..
Up pops a quiet little voice! Me...

We want to participate in the FE.

As far as kids go, we have two, DS 9 and DD 5 (turns 5 on embarkation day!)

-Kay
September 2013: Windsor Palms Resort, 23rd July: Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, 2nd Jan 2011: The Manor at Emerald Island, Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repositioning Cruise, Worldmark Anaheim / Sep 12th 2009 DCL Eastern with Tortola Sep 5th 2009 One week at Avalon at Windsor Palms, April 12th 2009 One week at Disneyland, California / Aug 28th 2008 5 nights at Disneyland, California / Jan 26th 2008 Windsor Palms Resort (Avalon) / Jan 19th 2008 DCL Eastern / Jan 16th 2008 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Apr 4th 2007 One night at CBR then 2 weeks at Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Aug 16th 2006 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor)
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #814
JLSE50

Quote:

FRIENDS--another good topic. Invite people to discuss that too.

I wonder if the current economic conditions have some people stearing clear of the Thread so that they don't get connected with us and then if they have to cancel they are not so upset. For that reason, discussion of FRIENDS and FE gifts might be late topics. But, give it a go and see.

And, if they don't know friends from the DIS, they will meet friends on the ship at the Clubs so that might be a reassurance. For now you can check the list on page 1 post 1 and see the ages of children listed. If any mesh with your kiddos you could PM that DISer and see if pen pal arrangements can be made perhaps

Last edited by JLSE50; 02-10-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #815
JLSE50

Quote:

Quote:
I want to participate in the FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
I also will participate in the FE...just don't know about the rest of the family group yet. Well, Dianne will be since she's in my cabin!

I think once we hit final payment time, more folks will be coming on the thread more frequently and will be wanting to get involved in activities.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for FE ideas in the meantime, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary2808 View Post
I know I definately want to participate in the FE. I need to come up with a good gift idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayR View Post
Up pops a quiet little voice! Me...

We want to participate in the FE.

As far as kids go, we have two, DS 9 and DD 5 (turns 5 on embarkation day!)

-Kay
You all are listed on page 1 post 1 with a BOLD FE FE at the end of your entry. Some of you were there all along and some are newly added just now.

and Kay--no need to pop up quietly!! shout it from the rooftops, don't forget, I am a post menopausal woman and my brain leaks. If you ever doubt it, check my self-tag. I need reminders. BUT, you were listed as interested in FE ever since you first signed on.

Jan
Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #816
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
and Kay--no need to pop up quietly!! shout it from the rooftops, don't forget, I am a post menopausal woman and my brain leaks. If you ever doubt it, check my self-tag. I need reminders. BUT, you were listed as interested in FE ever since you first signed on.

Jan
I kinda meant that I haven't really chatted with everyone here since I joined, oh so long ago. Has it been a week yet? Time seems to go so fast these days.

You all seem a crazy bunch. I like it! But all this talk of royalty is making me think of home back in the UK. Ah, the cold, the wet, the snow... Talking of which, CustardTart, I hope you guys are all OK (warm, dry etc).

--Kay
September 2013: Windsor Palms Resort, 23rd July: Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, 2nd Jan 2011: The Manor at Emerald Island, Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repositioning Cruise, Worldmark Anaheim / Sep 12th 2009 DCL Eastern with Tortola Sep 5th 2009 One week at Avalon at Windsor Palms, April 12th 2009 One week at Disneyland, California / Aug 28th 2008 5 nights at Disneyland, California / Jan 26th 2008 Windsor Palms Resort (Avalon) / Jan 19th 2008 DCL Eastern / Jan 16th 2008 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Apr 4th 2007 One night at CBR then 2 weeks at Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Aug 16th 2006 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #817
nskjerven
Her Royal Meanness "SLAP"
Insert evil laugh, I've used that alot today huh?

Quote:
I kinda meant that I haven't really chatted with everyone here since I joined, oh so long ago. Has it been a week yet? Time seems to go so fast these days.

You all seem a crazy bunch. I like it! But all this talk of royalty is making me think of home back in the UK. Ah, the cold, the wet, the snow... Talking of which, CustardTart, I hope you guys are all OK (warm, dry etc).

--Kay
Kay, I just saw of where you come....do you know your way to San Jose????

I'm of course in San Jose too. Hence the song

What part of town are you in? We live close to Santana Row(or for the older timers Town & Country)

I've been here for most of my 45 years. Spent a little time in Fremont, but lets not talk about that....
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #818
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
You do not know where you drove to get Tullulah?

I am from upstate New York--west of Michelle. I went to college in Troy, NY at an urban campus. I lived on Long Island and took the LIRR to and from school in Brooklyn for two years. I have lived in a rural town, rural region (former pasture made into housing development of 3-4 acre lots), suburbia, small city, large city, declining city and reviving city so, it is different but not so much. People are people everywhere you go. Some are charming and delightful and some are a pain in the neck. Therein lies the origin of my self tag about idiots.

And, Marilyn, a tag is a tag. For me it is more meaningful to have done it myself than if it was something that someone grabbed out of context because it made them laugh. I do not mind if it is black text instead of color.
It is mine

Jan - Where in Brooklyn did you go to school?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #819
JLSE50

Quote:
Jan - Where in Brooklyn did you go to school?
Downstate Medical Center

Quote:

--Kay
Kay--the talk of Royalty comes from a few members of this group who were on the Westbound Panama Canal together. Michelle and Nan decided they were the Eastern Queen of the Smarties and Western Queen of the Smarties respectively due to their affection for those candies. There might have been other queens, but I forgot--remember, the brain leaks.

Ian and Sukie got into the swing of Formal Night with outfits fit for Embassadors from a foreign nation so were given titles by Michelle and she decided her mother should be the Queen Mum. Another friend at their table was a Crown Princess. Her husband might have been a Prince Consort, I do not know, but he did arrange for Cheese Sticks for appetitizers each night so Sukie was happy.

Some of the rest of us enjoyed the fun from a distance, some did not see it except in photos after the cruise or on the Thread and the rest (dare I say ) avoided them altogether.....

So guys, how did I do summing it up?

And Kay--welcome aboard whenever you are in the mood and have time, chat away. This group will have a different personality and different subgroups and that is fine!!

Jan
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #820
iankh

Quote:
Downstate Medical Center

Kay--the talk of Royalty comes from a few members of this group who were on the Westbound Panama Canal together. Michelle and Nan decided they were the Eastern Queen of the Smarties and Western Queen of the Smarties respectively due to their affection for those candies. There might have been other queens, but I forgot--remember, the brain leaks.

Ian and Sukie got into the swing of Formal Night with outfits fit for Embassadors from a foreign nation so were given titles by Michelle and she decided her mother should be the Queen Mum. Another friend at their table was a Crown Princess. Her husband might have been a Prince Consort, I do not know, but he did arrange for Cheese Sticks for appetitizers each night so Sukie was happy.

Some of the rest of us enjoyed the fun from a distance, some did not see it except in photos after the cruise or on the Thread and the rest (dare I say ) avoided them altogether.....

And Kay--welcome aboard whenever you are in the mood and have time, chat away. This group will have a different personality and different subgroups and that is fine!!

Jan
I had decided that we would dress as diplomats quite separate and aside from the whole royalty thing. The thought came to me when I was watching an old movie on TCM.

Quite frankly I think the whole notion of the "formal" and dress-up nights on a cruise (where one is paying good money) utterly ridiculous, and so I decided to co-opt the notion and do formal attire with a vengeance. Hence why I bought us tails, etc.

To my thinking, the only response to a silly notion was to treat it in a silly manner, like a costume event.

As a matter of fact on "Pirate" night, we did not dress up. There was no point, as I felt it was a franchise that had been beaten to death anyway.

But then that's me.

Because it was so difficult for people to admire us on this last cruise, on the next one, we will arrange for a formal meet and greet, for photos with us and autograph book signings.

On this cruise, we are planning on having at least 2 "costume" events. One will be formal night, the other might be an afternoon event.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #821
mishoe01
Addicted to DCL but no need for an intervention

I'm a lady in waiting (but don't remember for which Queen).

Ian & Sukie come from the Kingdom of Freedonia.

I'M IN FOR FE STUFF!!
DW 3/10/05 9/29/05 12/10/06 Alaska 5/3/11 Hawaii 15nt 4/29/12 DM WBPC 15NT 5/10/08 7NT E 9/12/09 7NT W 1/23/10 EBTA 14NT 4/10/10 WBTA 9/19/15 DD MV 1/26/11 4/1/12 11/3/13 12/15/13 DF 12/15/12 NCL Jewel Baltic 12NT 4/28/09
Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #822
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskjerven View Post
Kay, I just saw of where you come....do you know your way to San Jose????

I'm of course in San Jose too. Hence the song

What part of town are you in? We live close to Santana Row(or for the older timers Town & Country)

I've been here for most of my 45 years. Spent a little time in Fremont, but lets not talk about that....
Do, dooby, do, do do.

Yes, I know the way....

Small world (and no song there please - that one really drives me nuts!) We are in South San Jose/Blossom Valley, close to Oakridge Mall.

Gosh, I remember Town and Country (I couldn't have told you what it was called though). But I certainly remember it being torn down and Santana Row being built. We moved here from the UK about 10 years ago now. First lived in Campbell, next to the community center. Eventually moved to Blossom Valley where we are today.

Gosh, I bet you have seen some changes around here - I bet you remember fruit orchards rather than the Silicon Valley we know today.

Nice to know there is another West Coaster on the cruise. Now it would be really funny if we ended up on the same flights! Not sure when we are flying out. We will be spending a week at our vacation home in Kissimmee before we cruise. We are also trying to keep the cruise a total secret from the kids (tell them at the port kind of thing...) Lets see how long that one lasts!

-Kay
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #823
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Downstate Medical Center

Jan
Thanks for the potted history. Now every thing is clear as mud! (Only kidding.)

Every time there was talk of queens and royalty, my mind would digress to a BBC comedy show with Rowen Atkinson and Hugh Lawrie and Miranda Richardson (amongst others). It was called Blackadder and it was a spoof on British history. One was on Elizabethan times and Miranda Richardson played a great Queen Elizabeth. In a wonderful childlike, high pitched voice she would protest "Who's Queen!" whenever she wanted to get her way. As much used as the "Off with his head" line. There must be clips on Youtube if you haven't seen it. (And it will show you the typically warped British sense of humor!).

There is a different series where you will get to see Hugh Laurie in tights! (pantyhose). A totally different viewpoint of him from his role in House.

-Kay
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #824
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had decided that we would dress as diplomats quite separate and aside from the whole royalty thing. The thought came to me when I was watching an old movie on TCM.

Quite frankly I think the whole notion of the "formal" and dress-up nights on a cruise (where one is paying good money) utterly ridiculous, and so I decided to co-opt the notion and do formal attire with a vengeance. Hence why I bought us tails, etc.

To my thinking, the only response to a silly notion was to treat it in a silly manner, like a costume event.

As a matter of fact on "Pirate" night, we did not dress up. There was no point, as I felt it was a franchise that had been beaten to death anyway.

But then that's me.

Because it was so difficult for people to admire us on this last cruise, on the next one, we will arrange for a formal meet and greet, for photos with us and autograph book signings.

On this cruise, we are planning on having at least 2 "costume" events. One will be formal night, the other might be an afternoon event.
Love it!

For Pirate night, can't you dress up and be the pompous governor of one of the fair isles frequented by pirates.

We will dress up for pirate night, the kids love it!

-Kay
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #825
iankh

Quote:
Love it!

For Pirate night, can't you dress up and be the pompous governor of one of the fair isles frequented by pirates.

We will dress up for pirate night, the kids love it!

-Kay
No, I don't think so. That would still mean participating.

The only thing I might consider is to have 2 suits made out of CD's and come as software pirates.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: