Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #826
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

We went during free dining in 2007, and we thought the crowds were very manageable. We did see people getting turned away from restaurants, so make ADRs! My husband's theory is that the crowds aren't really any higher than normal, its just that everyone who IS there is eating at the restaurants!
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #827
missenmickey
I'm just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world!

We have been there for FD in Sept. 07 and Sept. 08. We never waited longer then 15 minutes with our ADR. Our last trip included our extended family. Even with a party of 7, the wait for a table was minimal. It is worth having ADR's.
missenmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #828
SINYMom
Mouseketeer

Wow, this is a busy board!!

I guess I've been off the board about a week or so and it took me a good hour to catch up.

We were booked for the Poly GV, just changed to Contemporary Garden Wing GV and, saved $225, so that amounts to spending money for our 3 boys!

Now, if FD just opens up, I could save more.

I also agree with others here about having a TS a day, it sure does make for a nicer vacation. We love to sit-down once a day for a nice meal, it's what makes our vacations so special. We have always done this, but it's better on someone else's dime.

So for now it's patience, patience, patience.

SINYMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #829
mermaid&cinderella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINYMom View Post
I guess I've been off the board about a week or so and it took me a good hour to catch up.

We were booked for the Poly GV, just changed to Contemporary Garden Wing GV and, saved $225, so that amounts to spending money for our 3 boys!

I also agree with others here about having a TS a day, it sure does make for a nicer vacation. We love to sit-down once a day for a nice meal, it's what makes our vacations so special. We have always done this, but it's better on someone else's dime.

So for now it's patience, patience, patience.

It takes a bit to catch up doesn't it But its so much fun!

We also always do a sit down meal at the end of the day. We find it just finishes off the day so nicely! We have always done it on our dime, so it will be nice to do it on someone elses

2014 - POFQ - March break fun
2014 - BCV & AKL - Princess Half Marathon
2013 - offsite
2013 - ASMu - for Marathon Weekend - running Goofy, rather Dopey
2012 (May) - sailing on DREAM
2012 - ASSp - running Expedition Everest Challenge
2012 - ASMo - ran Princess Half Marathon
2011 - offsite - ran Wine & Dine Half Marathon
2011 - Hilton - ran Princess Half Marathon
2010 - offsite but in FL for a whole month
2009 - CBR - Not as good as POLY but still fun
2008 - POLY - Loved it
2007 - POLY - Loved it
2006 - POLY - DD's first time princess
1980 - offsite - Wow long time ago
mermaid&cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #830
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINYMom View Post
IWe were booked for the Poly GV, just changed to Contemporary Garden Wing GV and, saved $225, so that amounts to spending money for our 3 boys!

From what I understand that if Free DIning is offered you will be paying rack rate for that same room- Be curious to see if you could get that discount also.

Do you think that free dining at Disney World will see costs of flights go higher then what they are offering now?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #831
mermaid&cinderella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
From what I understand that if Free DIning is offered you will be paying rack rate for that same room- Be curious to see if you could get that discount also.

Do you think that free dining at Disney World will see costs of flights go higher then what they are offering now?

I hope not!! There was a seat sale last week for WestJet to Orlando and I didn't book b/c I am waiting for FD....I hope I can still get a great deal to fly down

2013 - offsite
2008 - POLY - Loved it
2007 - POLY - Loved it
Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #832
KKB
DIS Veteran

Regarding crowds...

Sept. is one of the slowest times of the year at WDW (for obvious reasons...school...hurricane season). I saw pics of crowds ON Labor Day weekend and was shocked that we had larger crowds during the week in late Oct. (and 20 min. was the longest we waited for ANY ride).
SO you should expect VERY manageable crowds at ALL parks, especially on weekdays (Mike & the Unofficial guide support this w/ their crowd calenders).
BUT if free dining is offered, the restaurants will be packed. DO NOT expect to walk into a TS restaurat w/o a reservation. Be SURE to make those ADRs 90 days out.

We, too, like a TS each evening, around 5:30. We hit parks at opening & go strong all day. It is nice to slow down, relax & chat. And there is time for a big meal to digest before bed. (DS8 is a human alarm clock--7AM daily, SO we MUST be in bed by 9:30 nightly or we deal w/ a terror the next day; sad we must miss night events, such as fireworks...we'll just save those for when he is older; it is nice to have some new, big things saved for each trip!)
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!
2/26-3/2/15 WDW All Star resort w/ DD: dance team comptetition
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #833
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

mom2rtk... Was it recently that you had free dining in December? I've booked PC for Nov28 to Dec5 and we're just praying the free dining is offered then. We've gone the last three years with the free dining but it always ended in September.
Mickey_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #834
KKB
DIS Veteran

hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post

I had NOT planned on booking our flights until I was SURE free DDP would be announced...but the night we booked, flights dropped about $100pp while we were booking! So at $200pp RT, with the dates & times we wanted (had to come a day later than we had wanted as it was quite a bit cheaper)...WELL...we booked it! Sure hope I don't regret THAT move! (free DDP saves us a lot more than that cheaper flight!)

BUT honestly, I have no regrets. My dad is going w/ us this trip. My folks are pretty young mid-60s, but you just never know. I want to travel w/ them all I can, with no regrets. Worth every penny, free DDP or not.
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!
2/26-3/2/15 WDW All Star resort w/ DD: dance team comptetition
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #835
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
I had NOT planned on booking our flights until I was SURE free DDP would be announced...but the night we booked, flights dropped about $100pp while we were booking! So at $200pp RT, with the dates & times we wanted (had to come a day later than we had wanted as it was quite a bit cheaper)...WELL...we booked it! Sure hope I don't regret THAT move! (free DDP saves us a lot more than that cheaper flight!)

BUT honestly, I have no regrets. My dad is going w/ us this trip. My folks are pretty young mid-60s, but you just never know. I want to travel w/ them all I can, with no regrets. Worth every penny, free DDP or not.
We took my then 68 year old Mom in '07, and although she may go back with us this year (she's taking care of my 97 year old grandmother, so that's a BIG maybe), we will always have the memories of that great trip with her.
Soooo worth it!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #836
Goofy22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyguy View Post
But do you have to purchase the hotel and tickets together?

When I figured our hotel and tickets together under the vacation package it came up about $300 more than if I bought the hotel and tickets both seperate. I know I've heard one reason is Disney automatically figures in vacation insurance on the "vacation package"....which I don't need and didn't even know I had last year.
You have to purchase at least a one day ticket per person to get the free dining it is a package deal. The one day makes ita package.
Goofy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #837
Cdn Mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid&cinderella View Post
I hope not!! There was a seat sale last week for WestJet to Orlando and I didn't book b/c I am waiting for FD....I hope I can still get a great deal to fly down
We too are waiting for the annoucement but I was told by my travel agent friend that the $362 Toronto to Orlando should be available for the next month.

Is that the seat sale you were talking about?

2008 - Sept. 12-19 - not sure on hotel as of yet.
2005- Sept. Pop Century
Cdn Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #838
mermaid&cinderella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Mickey View Post
We too are waiting for the annoucement but I was told by my travel agent friend that the $362 Toronto to Orlando should be available for the next month.

Is that the seat sale you were talking about?

2008 - Sept. 12-19 - not sure on hotel as of yet.
2005- Sept. Pop Century
It was $129 each way, for the 3 of us with the taxes it was just over $1000 which is a great deal. Is the $362 tax in???

2013 - offsite
2008 - POLY - Loved it
2007 - POLY - Loved it
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #839
bentleygirl22
disney queen

we have gone to free dining for the past two years.. and we are waiting for April for them to let us book our next free dining trip...

Every year i tell myself we should book the bounceback while at disney but we never do.. So we wait just like everyone else and countdown the days till they say FREE DINING BOOK NOW... HAhahahaha..

for the last two years its been the 2nd week of April they tell everyone about free dining....

Both years the parks have been pretty dead while there the most busy spots of the parks are the eating areas... SO if you book free dining please make ADR's because they will turn you away if you don't have a ADR....
the past two years i have saw so many people turned away while we waited to be seated.. its very sad.. because i know that alot of people that don't Dis don't know about ADR's... So Make them ....

I guess we will see you eatting at disney .... MMMmmmmmmmm
To many Disney Trips to name them all. Here's a few of our Favorites!! ENJOY! 2000-2006 & 2012- now lived in Orlando! weekly vists Sept 2007 video = PoP Century 10 days Free Dining Trip report HereSept 2008= PoP Century 11 days Video Free Dining Trip report here Sept 2009= PoP Century 14 days video Free Dining Trip report here Dec 2009 All Star Sports 5 days video photosPart 1 Part 2 May 2010= Wilderness Lodge,8 day photos Days 1&2 Days 2,3 &4 Days 4&5 day 5 Days 6, 7 & 8Sept 2010[/B]= PoP Century 4-12 photos Days 1-8& photopass March 20 2011 port Orleans May 21 -29 2011 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort Video Sept 11-19 2011 POP Video march 16-18,2012 Caribbean Beach Resort May11 2012 Beach club May 14, 2012 Disney Cruise on The Magic Sept 2012 not sure yet [COLOR="red"]
bentleygirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #840
pixie_mtl
Mouseketeer

And I would add that the only place where the wait is humongous is at the new ride at HS (Toy Story). I've seen 75min to 120min wait. Even the fast pass runs out fast

2009: A-S Sports Sep 11-12
2008: PR Sep 12-13 - POR Aug 30-Sep 12
2007: CR Sep 15-Sep 16 (concierge level)
2002: A-S Music Aug 25-Sep 8

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
pixie_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvc members, free dining, passholders

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: