Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #2251
disney fan 2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallie View Post
While I'm super excited for free dining, as a first timer on the dining plan it is very overwhemling!

Luckily we booked with a ta that just focuses on disney vacations so we are going to meet with her this weekend to decide where we will be eating!

Anyone have any suggestions of must try's?
Its men my dbf and we are both in our early 20s and are not picky eaters! Also which would u suggest as the best character breakfast?

TIA
Whenever DBF (22) and I (20) go to Disney, it's all about the food!! We never go through a TA but we do go through the menus online whenever we need a Disney fix - usually procrastinating for exams and stuff like that, but it's still getting something done - or at least that's how we look at it!

Are you upgrading to Deluxe Dining? Every time we've gone, we've had Deluxe and we've never felt like it was too much food - maybe because we mostly eat dinner at signature restaurants. Also, some people feel like it takes away from their park time.... we don't feel this way at all. We usually eat breakfast before the park opens and eat dinner after the park closes. For lunch and during the day, we use snack credits.

The one thing we always have an issue with is getting rid of those 3 snack credits. The thing is, we tend to split most snacks rather than getting two of something, so we look at it more as 6 snacks during each day that we're getting. The nice thing is at the end of the trip, when we load up on cookies and other snacks to bring home. It helps ease us back into reality to have Disney food around!

If you're sticking with the basic dining plan, I'm not really sure about CS restaurants. I've never eaten at them with DBF.... being in college and working in a restaurant, I eat burgers and chicken a lot... that's not really what we're looking for when we go to WDW. I have eaten CS (although not many, so don't think this is the only good one!) with my family - Flame Tree BBQ in AK is the only one i enjoyed and would probably bring DBF to if we had some extra room for food - which we don't haha! And I almost forgot Earl of Sandwich in DTD! We pay OOP for this usually and I could eat there every day if I had the chance!

As for TS restaurants, we do the following:

*Sci-Fi first meal every trip - themed restaurant, low-key, quick lunch so we can get some fuel and into the parks
*Le Cellier at some point. We tend to eat here for lunch since it is worth only 1 TS credit and we usually eat at signature restaurants every night. Since they're not open during the day, we can only eat there for dinner and therefore we need to "get rid of" the 1 TS meals during the day! If we eat here for lunch, we make the earliest ADR available and make dinner the latest ADR possible!
*Crystal Palace - first breakfast every trip, as long as the MK is not open for EMH. We make our ADR for 8:05 and get there super early so we are on Main Street alone. We refuse to go to MK on our arrival day so we can see the castle first thing, practically alone, when we wake up on our first full day there....
*Liberty Tree Tavern - A lot of people don't like it here, but if you get something good I think you'll enjoy it. It's also very quick for being a sit-down restaurant so we sometimes do it for lunch when we're in the MK. (I always get the William Penn pasta, if that helps....)
*Tusker House for breakfast before AK opens! We tried this on a whim once - just trying to get into the parks before they open - and it was so amazing. The selection of foods is great, the juice is fantastic, and the characters wake us up a little bit!
*Kona (for breakfast and dinner) - we HAVE to stop here for breakfast every trip for some Tonga Toast. If you are doing the basic plan, though, I would say you could pay OOP for this meal (or any other breakfasts that aren't buffets) because they run about $10/person.... For dinner, the food is excellent and unique - I'm always surprised there aren't more people here. The steak and the sushi are equally fantastic and the desserts are fun, too.
*Chef Mickey's for breakfast - people have mixed reviews about it, but we always go when it opens - 7:05 ADR and everything is hot, fresh, quick, and relaxed. The characters seem to go through a bit faster here, though, than at Tusker House or Crystal Palace.

Some Signatures:
*Artist Point - when we want our nice, quiet, romantic, relaxed meal of the trip. It's always so quiet and pleasant here. The champagne is good, and I can order some things I don't usually eat at home - I usually have the venison spring roll and the buffalo, which is amazing.
*Narcoossee's- Ordering the surf and turf here is the highlight of our trip, I think, haha! It seals the deal, for us anyways, that the deluxe is worth it.The seafood chowder is also great.
*California Grill - absolutely love it. I know people like to go to watch Wishes, but like I said we just go after the park closes.... We usually make the 9:50 ADR. Flatbread, great steak, awesome sushi.... And we've always had fantastic waiters who have never given us a bad recommendation.

Some other good 1 TS credit restaurants:
Prime Time
Boma
Ohana (we don't LOVE it, but lots of other people do, so I'd say give it a shot)
Whispering Canyon (we've had good and bad meals here, so I'm neutral....)
Cape May Cafe Breakfast
San Angel (but it seems like it used to be better a few years ago)

I don't think our friends "get" why we go to Disney so much. Or why we choose to get up to eat breakfast at 7AM when we're on vacation, etc. But it really doesn't feel bad when it's in Disney!! If you and your DBF are anything like us, we work so hard to be able to go to Disney a couple times a year - 40 hours/week at work, full time students, extracurriculars, etc. When we finally get there it's like we don't really want to waste any time! I love hearing about other couples our age who are going . If you have any other questions let me know.... Sorry I didn't know if you were doing deluxe or basic, but either way I'm sure you will find plenty of good food to eat!!
'97 (BC), '99 (BC), '00 (BC), '01 (Disneyland/CA Adventure!), '02 (BWV), '02 (BWV), '03 (POP and BWV), '03 (BWV), '04 (BWV), '04 (BWV), '05 (BWV), August '07 (offsite and BWV), 1/08 (ASMo), 8/08 (Disneyland Paris & Tokyo Disney!), 9/08 (Poly), 3/09 (ASMo), 7/09 (BWV), 10/09 (POFQ), 1/10 (POFQ), 2/11 (BLT), 8/11 (BWV), 9/11 (SD), 9/12 (Portofino, SD, SSR), 2/13 DCL Fantasy, 5/13 BWV, 9/13 BWV

Upcoming Trips:
April 2014 (BWV) & August 2014

AP Holder DVC Member

disney fan 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #2252
KKB
DIS Veteran

I can't comment on character BR...

Quote:
While I'm super excited for free dining, as a first timer on the dining plan it is very overwhemling!

Luckily we booked with a ta that just focuses on disney vacations so we are going to meet with her this weekend to decide where we will be eating!

Its men my dbf and we are both in our early 20s and are not picky eaters! Also which would u suggest as the best character breakfast?

TIA
But I'll tell you our fav meals...(consensus from 7-62 year olds!)
Le Cellier
Ohana (dinner)
BOMA
Le Chef de France

We will be eating at the first 3 again (hopefully!), and dropping Le Chefs as it is loud in there, and Dad doesn't hear well in such environments.

We are going to try to add: (thought Dad would enjoy these menus as well as the experience of each)
50s Prime Time Cafe
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Jiko

(still not sure of our last meal...Rose & Crown or Raglan Road look to be the favs)
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!
2/26-3/2/15 WDW All Star resort w/ DD: dance team comptetition
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #2253
splashmtnfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
But I'll tell you our fav meals...(consensus from 7-62 year olds!)
Le Cellier
Ohana (dinner)
BOMA
Le Chef de France

We will be eating at the first 3 again (hopefully!), and dropping Le Chefs as it is loud in there, and Dad doesn't hear well in such environments.

We are going to try to add: (thought Dad would enjoy these menus as well as the experience of each)
50s Prime Time Cafe
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Jiko

(still not sure of our last meal...Rose & Crown or Raglan Road look to be the favs)
I don't know how loud Le Chef's is but Whispering Canyon CAN get pretty loud. It is a lot of fun though
Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #2254
splashmtnfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:

TIA
HEY, you are arriving the day we leave, but we aren't leaving early, our plane leaves out @ 9 PM so, it is my DD's 10th B-day that day, so we will spend time at the MK probably....

Anyway, go to Wolf Gang Puck Express in Downtown Disney, their food is yummy and counts as a Counter Service, plus no tip needed! Our Family of 5 ate there for dinner our first day and the kids just HAD to go back before we left! The ticket was like $110 and it was counter service, not just burgers & fries. Mousesavers has a lot more tips on good places for CS meals too. Upgrading will cost us $ 966 for 7 nights, so with our good CS tips we are opting to spend that $ on a second trip with MY family in Oct. for MNSSHP! We add $600 and we get a second trip!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #2255
KKB
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmtnfan View Post
I don't know how loud Le Chef's is but Whispering Canyon CAN get pretty loud. It is a lot of fun though
We don't make ADRs until early June, so this is a work in progress!

WCC looked fun for the kids, and Dad loves BBQ.

Le Chefs was weird...almost an echo in the room. I mean, all our meals were busy & "loud", but I even had difficulty hearing in Le Chefs, but not anywhere else.

We are not into character meals (kids 14, 11, 9) and not buffet fans--but Boma is so unique it is a must do. And AKL is so beautiful inside--thus the desire to hit Jiko for another night.

Rose & Crown menu...I'm just not sure; but we are a good percentage English, so I thought it would be fun.

Raglan Road looks yummy & fun, but almost worth paying OOP.

SOOOOOO...clearly I am going to fuss w/ these for 2 months!

MAYBE we will do 2 signature meals and do Raglan Road OOP...not even sure we want to venture to DTD this trip since they closed the clubs! DH & I had a blast at 8 Trax last trip until the wee hours while Mom took the kids...
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!
2/26-3/2/15 WDW All Star resort w/ DD: dance team comptetition
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #2256
splashmtnfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
We don't make ADRs until early June, so this is a work in progress!

WCC looked fun for the kids, and Dad loves BBQ.
It WAS F-U-N and the BBQ was really GOOD.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #2257
DaParkers
The original DISard of Oz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleGirl View Post
Hi,
I'm on the phone with CRO now. I asked the reservationist how the Free Dining has been selling and she said it has been a lot lower than they expected. She sounded pretty down about it. I wonder if they'll try to sweeten the deal in the coming months.
That's fine with me. It just means lower crowds when we go in September.
DaParkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #2258
Bete
DIS Veteran

Wink I'm suprised about the poor response

for free dining in late summer and early fall based on the Maple Leaf post.

Disney could think if this doesn't bring them in; they may have to discontinue using this promotion. I hope not. Maybe, they will enhance it for the winter months, if we are lucky. I need a good deal to go.

I'd like to see a free D-23 membership included for a booking. There was a year that I booked where you got a free gift that was fabulous. It was a Disney hat box with a lot of goodies in it. It included a $20 photo book and other nice souvenirs. I believe the value of it was above $50. I felt so good when that gift arrived to the house.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #2259
NJRA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaParkers View Post
That's fine with me. It just means lower crowds when we go in September.
Same here. We are also doing Fd in Sept. and the less crowded it is the more enjoyable our vacation will be!!!!!!!
NJRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #2260
windthefrogg
Earning My Ears

I just booked my trip for Sept 24-Oct 1. I'll get free dining (upgraded to deluxe) and I'll be there for Food & Wine. I've never been to Food & Wine before, so I think I have about 5 months to lose 10 lbs to then gain back again while on vacation.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and updates!
windthefrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #2261
Mickeyluver37
I had way more than 3 at a time
I would absolutely try to go eat in the castle

Can anyone confirm that the OP is correct? We are currently booked for a vacation starting 8/16 and I would love to have it start on 8/15!! I didn't even ask when I called though, as I thought it didn't start until 8/16.

(DH) (Me) (DD17) (DS15) (DS- 6)

I traded in my vacation ticker for a new one:

Mickeyluver37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #2262
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyluver37 View Post
Can anyone confirm that the OP is correct? We are currently booked for a vacation starting 8/16 and I would love to have it start on 8/15!! I didn't even ask when I called though, as I thought it didn't start until 8/16.
It's 8/16.
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #2263
disneynewman
DIS Veteran

Booking CRT w/ FD

Will I still have to pay by credit card when I book our ADR for CRT if I plan to use my credits for it?

Me DH DS (11) DD (9)

disneynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #2264
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

They will ask you when you book if you want to do it OOP. You just tell them you will be using the plan. They will take your CC for the reservation but do not charge it.

Trinity524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #2265
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynewman View Post
Will I still have to pay by credit card when I book our ADR for CRT if I plan to use my credits for it?
Yes, when I had DDP, we decided to go to Mickey's Hoop Dee Do Revue. The cast member told me that even with the DDP, you have to give a credit card to book any of the pre-pay meals. The credit card will only be charge if you don't show and don't cancel by the deadline.
gssmks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvc members, free dining, passholders

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: