Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #1456
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I too am excited about planning my next trip...of course I want to finish my trip report about this one first!!! LOL!!!

I'm going to go at the end of September and October (another slow time) and I will be able to compare!

Like Shelly said in her brief welcome home post....the lines were a bit hefty for what I expected in January...maybe Disney's deals really are helping them out!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #1457
pamouselover
“Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakes View Post
I am seriously considering doing a TR! Just to force myself to remember all the things that happened.
We were up early, to bed late and I am exhausted!
I unfortunately got the sinus congstion on the return flight. I was ok until they sealed the plane for take off, and then it felt like my head would explode when we landed. Today I feel a bit dizzy and very stuffed up!
Good news is- we did not get sick while at disney, no stomach bugs, no colds for any of us.

As a reminder...
We were on the deluxe dining and we're sick of chewing! LOL. We even didn't bother with our last day lunch because we simply weren't hungry. We used most of our snack credits at Goofy's on Saturday! Yummy!
We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for 10 days. We only ran into one trasnportation issue on our last night at MK, we had to wait about 20 minutes for a bus. The boat launch was packed and in waiting as well. Maybe it was a sign Mickey didn't want us to leave!
It was cold the first few days- jeans, hoodies, jackets and mini gloves at night. As per the news it was the coldest frost in something like 23 years! Poor flowers on Main St were dead by nightfall- but they magically came back the next day!
There is only one thing I know I did not cross of my to do list- Grapefruit Cake at DHS. I may come across others as I go thru my journal. Every morning we had early breakfast ressies and transport got us there on time or early!
If you have any questions please ask. I planned long and hard for this trip. I found our 2007 trip much more magical, I think I over planned this trip!
Our Bounceback offer was no good for us
Dd has asked we do a mother daughter trip- so I think I will plan that next, hopefully this same year??? who knows... I need to do something to cure the depression... I know reading the snowbird trip reports will help- so I am off to do that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine43 View Post
Good Afternoon
Welcome home!

If anyone wants to see some of the pictures I took earlier this month when we were in Disney, click here

http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh351/robing44/

albums listed on the left and if you click on the pictures, most have captions

robin
Coming over to see them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Hello from WDW!!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous here!!!! We've been wearing shorts and t-shirts/tank tops everyday! We've been renting lockers (except today) and wearing light jackets in the morning, then throwing them in the locker after about an hour. Around 6 or so, we change into our jeans and jackets. It has been amazing! The crowds aren't bad. Today we went to AK until 3pm (we did everything we wanted) and there were TONS of Brazilian tour groups. The wait for FOTLK was extremely annoying. There were about 5 groups in there chanting, singing and stomping their feet. The CMs repeatedly had to tell them to be quiet. Anyways.....

I met Shawna (Disneymommy3) at T-Rex on Saturday night. What an amazing and sweet family she has! Then, after Spectro last night, we met Sheree (Mndisneygirl) and her family at the Emporium. After a few minutes, Shawna and her family came in too! It was our own little Dis/Snowbird meet! It was so nice to meet them. Well, we have to get ready for dinner now! Just wanted to check in!
Hi Meghan! So glad you are having a great time.STAY THERE WE GOT SNOW HERE ON THE EAST COAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Hello Snowbirds!

I'm back

WDW and CBR were awesome! The weather was great. Cold the first few days (highs of around 50) but then it was perfect - highs of 78-82! It was a lot more crowded than we expected. I couldn't believe it was January. Wednesday was the only day that it wasn't really crowded. Other than that the wait times were more than I've ever seen in May.

Overall a wonderful trip! Lots to report and tons of pics to share. More tomorrow!
Welcome home Shelly. I was hoping all this white stuff was gone before you got back here to Pa.
Cant wait to hear about your trip. I am still editing pictures from my trip today, since I am home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mana_liz View Post
We got home Sunday night...wonderful trip...can't wait to go back again already. It was a little chilly but much better weather than at home. The wait weren't terrible long for us...evening magic hours were great. I got to ride Everest 5 times in 30 minutes Wednesday night. Time for bed now...still getting back into the swing of things at home.
WOW that is awesome!
pamouselover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #1458
Adream
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakes View Post
It was cold the first few days- jeans, hoodies, jackets and mini gloves at night. As per the news it was the coldest frost in something like 23 years! Poor flowers on Main St were dead by nightfall- but they magically came back the next day!
There is only one thing I know I did not cross of my to do list- Grapefruit Cake at DHS.
Hi Drakes and everyone,
I am more of a reader than a post-er. We're leaving for DisneyWorld on Friday, and according to the weather report, it'll still be fairly chilly. I'm packing layers, but I have to tell you THANK YOU for mentioning the mini-gloves! I have several pair of the stretchy little things, but I never would have though to pack them. Great idea!

I've been wracking my brain to figure out which restaurant is "DHS" to find the Grapefruit Cake? I need to know this because, I too, must try a peice of Grapefruit Cake! Sounds gooood.

Hope your sinus situation clears up soon ~ I know that airplane "head exploding" feeling. Ugh.

* DH * DD1 * DS * DD2 * Two 's

[/CENTER]
Adream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #1459
distherapy
DIS Veteran

Hey Adream - grapefruit cake is at Brown Derby. I also read somewhere it can be found at a bakery, but for the life of me I can't think of where...

And with that - we're back! It was a great trip and I am going to start the trip report soon....
Jan 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
Feb 2008 - Grand Floridian
distherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #1460
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Welcome home to all the snowbirds returning I can't wait to hear about all your trips!!!!

I'm working on another chapter of my trip report and I'm LOVING IT!!!!

Hope you are all having a great day!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #1461
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

So Jen, how many Snowbirds did you meet???

I only met 3. Katiebugsmom and I were on the same flight. I met Dundeehunter briefly at the entrance to DHS. And I met Trixie and her family - we bumped into them several times!

The CBR meet was a bust. Where was everybody??? We were at the Jamaica beach playground from 8:30 until after Illuminations was over, but nobody showed.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #1462
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
So Jen, how many Snowbirds did you meet???

I only met 3. Katiebugsmom and I were on the same flight. I met Dundeehunter briefly at the entrance to DHS. And I met Trixie and her family - we bumped into them several times!

The CBR meet was a bust. Where was everybody??? We were at the Jamaica beach playground from 8:30 until after Illuminations was over, but nobody showed.
Actually I only met one!! Somehow I couldn't remember if I was supposed to call Kayte or she call me LOL!!! (I should have just called) and I didn't see anyone at the Haunted Mansion at midnight!!

However I did get to spend time with Kim and her family (NorthernDisneyGirl) and that was fabulous it was so great to finally meet her and talk to her for awhile, we met up twice!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #1463
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I should have called Wendy (Maggied) from the beach Saturday but I had left my cell phone (with her # in it) in the room. I don't know what happened to her. Maybe she was on another beach ???

And at DHS last Thursday it was SO crowded that there could have been 20 Snowbirds at the parade and we would have never found each other.

Oh well, I'm glad I met some Snowbirds anyway! My boys and Trixie's girls had a blast together! I sure hope they are having a safe trip home today in this nasty snow/ice storm.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #1464
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklam View Post
We also found a few of the tour groups disturbing at times, and in particular, while waiting in the line for Pirates. The whole set-up of that waiting area is very poor, with people just jammed in every corner and cranny. I don't know how many times we were stepped on, pushed, and at one point - shoved out of the way by a group of teenage girls (in bright yellow sweatsuits, for those of you who may know who I mean!) I told DH and DD that I was really sorry that I never learned Portuguese, which is the native language of both sets of my grandparents, because I would have been able to give them a piece of my mind in a way that they could understand! I am all for international tourism, but when it impacts the enjoyment of others and impedes safety, then enough is enough. Of course, my DH also had his foot run over by an American tourist wielding an out-of-control stroller directly at him. (and, not even an apology from her, sad to say).
Our day at Hollywood Studios there were a couple groups running around. One of the groups spoke Spanish. While we were waiting in line for the bathroom one lady comes out and starts to tell the rest of them (in Spanish) to come ahead of everyone else...I WAS TICKED! So I proceeded to explain to her that they were behind the rest of us in line and needed to wait, just like everyone else. She said something about "stupid americans" and tried to say (in english even though I was speaking spanish to her) that it was an "emergency". So when we finally got into the bathroom there was at least 15 of them standing in front of the mirrors fixing their make-up and hair. Oh I did not say nice things to that lady. After we walked out, I found a CM (who also spoke spanish) and explained to him what happened and he said something into his little walkie-talkie thingy and a minute later some guy in a suit came over and the two of them went to talk to the group. So I don't know what really happened, but I'm now very thankful that I apparently know enough Spanish to hold my own in a conversation.

XXXXX
Welcome back to those of you returning now. Apparently some of you are getting pelted with some nasty weather . Can't wait to hear all about your trips!
crzyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #1465
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamouselover View Post
Welcome home Shelly. I was hoping all this white stuff was gone before you got back here to Pa.
Cant wait to hear about your trip. I am still editing pictures from my trip today, since I am home.
Thanks!

Yes, this weather makes coming home even more unpleasant.

I am working on my pics today too. I'm having a little trouble loading them right now.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #1466
distherapy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post
Our day at Hollywood Studios there were a couple groups running around. One of the groups spoke Spanish. While we were waiting in line for the bathroom one lady comes out and starts to tell the rest of them (in Spanish) to come ahead of everyone else...I WAS TICKED! So I proceeded to explain to her that they were behind the rest of us in line and needed to wait, just like everyone else. She said something about "stupid americans" and tried to say (in english even though I was speaking spanish to her) that it was an "emergency". So when we finally got into the bathroom there was at least 15 of them standing in front of the mirrors fixing their make-up and hair. Oh I did not say nice things to that lady. After we walked out, I found a CM (who also spoke spanish) and explained to him what happened and he said something into his little walkie-talkie thingy and a minute later some guy in a suit came over and the two of them went to talk to the group. So I don't know what really happened, but I'm now very thankful that I apparently know enough Spanish to hold my own in a conversation.

XXXXX
Welcome back to those of you returning now. Apparently some of you are getting pelted with some nasty weather . Can't wait to hear all about your trips!
Good work! I was regretting not studying Spanish and Portuguese!
Jan 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
Feb 2008 - Grand Floridian
distherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #1467
drakes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Hi Drakes and everyone,
I am more of a reader than a post-er. We're leaving for DisneyWorld on Friday, and according to the weather report, it'll still be fairly chilly. I'm packing layers, but I have to tell you THANK YOU for mentioning the mini-gloves! I have several pair of the stretchy little things, but I never would have though to pack them. Great idea!

I've been wracking my brain to figure out which restaurant is "DHS" to find the Grapefruit Cake? I need to know this because, I too, must try a peice of Grapefruit Cake! Sounds gooood.

Hope your sinus situation clears up soon ~ I know that airplane "head exploding" feeling. Ugh.
Mini Gloves were $9.00 at the parks. we got ours for 49 cents at walmart! We packed extra socks in our park bags as well and DD had to add these as they acted more as mittens.
Grapefruit Cake is at Brown Derby but I was told you can ask for it at Starring Rolls, they will go next door and get a piece? I was going to ask but didn't find the time. I bought DH the Disney Cookbook and the recipe is in their so he said he'd make it for me!

Other tips- I packed every imaginable medicine - I didn't do this past trips and we were ok, but I was worried with the reports of disney flu bugs. I think if I didn't pack this stuff I would have needed it.
The other good news was my luggage coming home was over weight and I didn't get charged for it!
We got hoodies, scrapbooks, the DVD box set, every park cd we could find, a hardcover souvenier type book, princess costumes, pins pins and more pins.

Have lots of fun, and relax. Unfortunately I was a commando and the last day I cried in Frontierland because I had 3 people asking me to fit in so much more... I planned this trip and I wanted everyone to be happy. I forgot about myself. My sweet dd stopped begging for the pool and compromised with a late night swim. I laugh now but I sat on this bench in Frontierland fighting the tears, dd begging for the pool, DH wanting shade, and DM forgetting why we skipped lunch. When they saw I was upset, they calmed down and asked me what I wanted to do. I said "right now anything, even the Country bears is better than this!" so sure enough we walked right on in to the CBJ.

Everything was much better after that.

So moral of the story is... knowledge is power, but it also can cause a great magnitude of stress.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #1468
drakes
DIS Veteran

Not meeting Snowbirds... I didn't see a single LGMH let alone a snowbird

I was amazed at how much I knew- like I said knowledge is power. When we got off the monorail at the contemporary my DD wanted to find the 5 legged goat in the mural... so we found, everyone there subsequently pointed and talked about it... even DH was in awe I knew about it... I quickly reminded him... everytime we turn on the TV there is that girl jabbering on about these hidden secrets- how can we knot know, I've heard her a million times... and that was just background noise in the am while getting ready!

Boy I also just realized this morning the alarm clock in Disney was set a half hour earlier than what I normally wake up! Uggghhhh ! some vacation... currently looking at Disney Cruises ... I was told by a fellow traveller the cruise was far more fun if you're into characters and shows- that would be me!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #1469
pamouselover
“Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post

XXXXX
We ran into the same thing.

Quote:
Thanks!

Yes, this weather makes coming home even more unpleasant.

I am working on my pics today too. I'm having a little trouble loading them right now.
I was having trouble also. I am waiting on my photopass CD. I am giving everyoen in the share till Friday to edit their photos. Hopefully it does not take long to come in.
pamouselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #1470
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

I'M BACK!

I got back this afternoon - it had been 65 in Memphis when we left on Friday and we return to upper 20s and snow today. Woo-hoo! [Unlike you Northern snowbirds, snow is such a rarity that it is a treat so I was excited].

I planned and planned and planned -- for myself and everyone on the trip. I was sure that, despite how much people all over the world love WDW, I would be disappointed - I mean, just how could anything live up to those kinds of expectations?

I was wonderfully wrong - Disney was all that I wished for and more. I am officially a fan - I knew I had been completely smitten when I saw Mickey by himself at a character viewing and just had to get my picture taken with him. [I HATE getting my picture taken!] Not only that, but the consensus of everyone else was the same - the trip exceeded their expectations. They loved the restaurants where we ate and loved almost all the rides/shows I had planned for us to see. I haven't taken an official survey but I do think we did a lot in a relatively short time.

I was disappointed in just how crowded it was - zowie! Epcot was packed on Friday [evening EMH], DHS was slow during Saturday morning EMH but picked up pretty quickly by early afternoon and MK was packed that evening - throngs of people. AK was busy on Sunday but the lines were fairly quick [and we had the added bonus of the birthday fast passes] and MK was busy, too. Monday was the first day that, back at Epcot, I thought - 'these look like what I would have thought January crowds would have looked like.' Tuesday was still pretty busy at DHS and MK -- I guess the secret is out about the low crowds for January!

I didn't see any LGMHs either - I was doing pretty well to keep up with my crew much less try to find any other people. During shows/bus rides, I did look for anyone who resembled the snowbirds but had no luck.

I had wonderful experiences with Disney's customer service which truly added magic to our trip. I'm trying to get brave enough to write a trip report - in a burst of emotion and creativity, I started one on a napkin [who was the great writer who did that, too - Steinbeck?] - it'll be interesting to see if that materializes.

I'm excited to read others' TRs - I've always loved them before but now, I'll know what people are talking about.

And I am that much closer to getting an AP - how much fun would that be to go in early December [are the Christmas lights up yet?]. I know that I could never go in the summer/early fall - I had a hard enough time with the crowds in the beautiful weather we had [70s and 80s]- I'd hate to see what would happen with larger crowds and higher temperatures -

to everyone and a big box of these for the sad ones just coming back. I'll sniff along with y'all.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: