Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
an_evans
Mouseketeer

We added another Celebration!

We added another element! We had been considering taking a adults only trip for our tenth anniversary this summer. The truth of the matter is that we would really miss the kids by day 2 or 3. We spent a week in San Diego without them and we kept thinking of how kids would really love this or that. We have lots of help at home and enjoy a night without them regularly so we just prefer to vacation with them! I realize how short these years are and we intentionally had our children young. We had them early while many of our friends were doing kid-less stuff. We figure they will be out of the house and busy with their lives and we will have considerably more traveling dollars then the average "twenty somethings".

Well we decided to hire Kids Night Out to come have dinner with the kids and put them to bed. We will hit a theme park and ride a few rides together and have a romantic anniversary dinner. For around $125 we can have five glorious hours together, alone in the happiest place on earth. It makes me so HAPPY!.

At this point we are thinking Epcot. Five hours alone with your spouse... where would you go? No stroller, no baby swap, no potty breaks, nobody crying for a 9.00 balloon......happy, happy,joy joy (We really do enjoy our kids!)
Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

subbing
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

for your DH birthday can't you get him in for free?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
an_evans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahshee View Post
for your DH birthday can't you get him in for free?
Yes but since we are buying multi-day passes so he will get the $75 fun gift card instead!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
tink713
Disneyholic Since 2007

I'm joining in. I hope this trip turns out much better than your last trip!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447783April 2010 Dining Reviews
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
TeaForTulips
DIS Veteran

subbing!

ive enjoyed your ptr so far! im excited for your trip! everythings sounds great! im sure this trip will certainly make up for what happened last time. i look forward to reading more!

Tarah (That's me!) Jen Mary Marmee Bobo Trista Mario Pierce Hallise Pollyanna Tucker
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
an_evans
Mouseketeer

And now we are at less then 60 days... less then 2 months!

This is the point where I start double and triple thinking things.

Flying vs. Driving
We have driven and flown. We honestly prefer driving with the four children. OUur children are great travelers. It takes about 6 hours longer to drive then fly. Between arriving ubber-early (by the insistence of hubby), the layover,the endless rounds of taking of four children shoes off to go through security, collecting the baggage, etc.....it takes 12 hours. 6 extra hours and an 800 dollars extra in our pockets makes the decision easy...... At least for a normal person!

I love to fly and it really feels special because we fly so rarely. I am trying to remember how tortuous having a mad toddler on my lap for a 2 hour flight was. It's better for us to drive.

The Plan: We plan to leave around 4 am on Saturday morning and drive to Pensacola. Google says it will be about 12 hours. My husband will drive faster and we will stop often so I figure it will probably come in around .... well 12 hours. We have always stopped in Louisianan. Driving through Texas is like driving through Florida...it goes on forever! Another early morning should put us in Orlando around lunch.

This reminds us me of a bittersweet memory from our last trip. Our pool villa was about a hundred miles into Orlando in the pitch black construction zone. At least it felt that way on our way there. We expected to be in around 7 and grab a fast food dinner. The road just kept going and going..... I am an emotional wreck from leaving my husband behind in the hospital, i have been in the car with my mother and three children and two sisters for endless hours, and am six months pregnant. It's now quickly approaching 9pm. From the back seat come as little voice "Mama, nobody gave us any dinner...."

I am also having a little buyer's remorse about staying on property. Jason is really insistent on staying on-property. He like to immerse in the magic. I like the dining plan. This will also be the last trip we can stay in one room. WE are actually really pushing it this trip. Port Orleans will provide a place to sleep and take a nap but it will be very cozy....and not really in a positive way! We plan to be in the parks a lot and will be riding the bus to Magic Kingdom to avoid the tram, the boat, and the walk. Our next trip will be close to stroller-free and that will be more manageable.

I have to say with all that in mind.... I still want to lounge by my private pool in the afternoon and hot tub with my hubby while the kids sleep peacefully in their own bedrooms! Who am I kidding? They would either be in there with us or we'd be too exhausted to make it out to the pool! But a girl can dream...right?

So that's the obsession of the day!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
an_evans
Mouseketeer

THe two oldest girls at Cinderella's Royal table with the fairy godmother.

And another favorite and our reason for our 1900 Park Fare Dinner. We were collecting autographs behind the castle during Cinderellabration and one of the step-sisters (listening to the audio cues) throws her arm into the air just in time for the fireworks. The girls were amazed!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

I have to admit, I am envious of having good car travelers. A few hours in the car is pushing it for our family! Personally, I like road trips, too. Maybe when the kids are older...

Current PTR for a maybe trip - Don't tell the kids: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012444
Trip #1: Jan 2-8, 2008 WDW - TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1632004
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
an_evans
Mouseketeer

Trying to save money....

I always get myself in a buying frenzy before each trip. I spend time on the boards and before I know it my list of things to spend money on before we go gets out of control. My kids need these shoes, this stroller, that water bottle, I need to pre-buy souvenirs, make 100 dollars worth of matching t-shirts and make them $25 dollar autograph books...... all in the name of saving money.

I AM NOT DOING IT THIS TRIP! I am spending my Disney World money....at Disney World!

That said, I am itching to do something, anything. Maybe we start our countdown chain or something.....
Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
an_evans
Mouseketeer

Paying off disney!

Well today is the day we pay off our room and base tickets. We will be upgrading to the dining plan and 7 day tickets when our income tax refund is deposited.

I feel great about this trip! We canceled a September free dining trip last year and I just have a peace about this trip. Sure there are other things we could spend money on or or even save it....but it comes down to that are kids are only young once and our family has made a ton of sacrifices this last 18 months. We started a company last year and gave up a position that came with discretionary income, a company car, private school, and most of all security. We moved to a smaller house, I went back to work, and we have lived near the poverty line to invest in our company. Things are moving along nicely and we are finally have some breathing room. We managed to make a small profit last year...our first year despite an expensive law suit.... and we feel like celebrating!

So I am excited to say "yes" to my kids after 18 months of "we can't right now". I am excited to take them shopping for new bathing suits and and a few incidentals for our trip. I am excited to go out to dinner and lunch for 7 days and never once have to look over the menu all the while doing the math in my head. It's going to be a great trip!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #27
TeaForTulips
DIS Veteran

Im sure it will be a great trip for you guys!

I complete understand about spending before the trip begins... I was already getting wrapped up in that myself, but after reading your post I have stopped. It was a very good point you made and I agree! Thanks!

Tarah (That's me!) Jen Mary Marmee Bobo Trista Mario Pierce Hallise Pollyanna Tucker
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
an_evans
Mouseketeer

I am starting to get emotional about this!

I have been reading trip reports in my spare (and not so spare moments). The excitement is starting to well up in me and I find that if I think about it too much it brings tears to my eyes. My class is starting to wonder why Mrs. evans alternates between giant grins and weepy eyes!

Last night at dinner our just-turned-4 year old thanked God for our trip to Disney Word during the blessing. It was a great moment!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #29
an_evans
Mouseketeer

Not much new going on around here. We start our coutdown chain on the 30 day mark.

We went shopping for bathing suits for the kids this weekend!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #30
DWFan4Life
DIS Veteran

I just finished reading your PTR, good start. I hope you will have a great time, fum and better than your last trip. Looking forward for more info from you.

Have a nice and safe trip coming.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: