Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Mickey's Magic Makes Me Happy, An April 09 Trip Report-update 4-28-MK Night EMH

PROLOGUE
Dates: April 19-25, 2009
Resort: Port Orleans Riverside (POR)
The Players: Me-Jared, 32 Single, no kids;

Mom (my mom)-1 day Florida resident AAA admission;

Grandparents-Mammy & Pappy-DTD; Great Aunt and Uncle-Aunt Barb and Uncle Ed-Annual Pass Holders;

Barb and Ed last two on right.

“mommytothreeboys” from the DIS-via Text Message,

and The K’s and Y’s-old friends from High School Musical (the real thing) days (Krissy, Dave, Marianne, Carrie (taking picure), Rhonda, Jerry)-all APH’s

The Package- 6 night stay with 7 day Park Hopper Magic Your Way with Deluxe Dining Plan for me-no Golf or Water Parks.

The Day of Departure…April 18, 2009
The Journey Begins…

After successfully completing another year at our local “Taste of” fund raising event-it was off to the airport. So, still wearing my chef uniform, I got in my car and drove, quite literally, “Over the river and through the woods” until I arrived at the Colorado Springs Holiday Inn Express. I plopped my luggage down in my room, and headed out for dinner at the famed “Solo’s Airplane Restaurant” at the Radisson.

Let’s just say that within 30 minutes I was back at the lounge at the Holiday Inn enjoying a French Dip and a beer. Yes, it was that bad—food and service wise. Minors at the table next to me were served alcohol on accident while I was there (real daiquiris instead of virgins for 13-14 y.o. girls out for their friend’s birthday, and the Reuben was the worst I had ever had). I paid my bill (didn’t want to cause waves and stress the first night) and ran out of there.

Chris and Zeke’s lounge at the Holiday Inn suited my purposes well. I left content and my wallet was still intact. The staff at Chris and Zeke’s was gracious as well.

I went back to my room and cleaned up before getting in to bed. I was too excited to sleep, but exhaustion hit me somewhere in the middle of a Seinfeld episode, where George was trying to get his parent’s antique coffee table refinished quickly. I never found out how that ended up.

The Day of Arrival-Sunday, April 19, 2009
ROCKS IN THE SKY, boogers, and broccoli

And so, the alarm rang at 4:30am-it was into the Disney clothes and off to the airport. The first leg of my flight from Colorado Springs to Houston was uneventful. I slept through most of it.
I arrived in Houston with only an hour layover. I knew I was eating big and early that night, so I had only a blueberry muffin and water from Peet’s Coffee. The muffin was good. We actually got fed on the flight to Orlando-a small smoked turkey sandwich, chips and a mini Twix candy bar. It was better than nothing. I was grateful to have it-if nothing more than to occupy my time.

Now things take a turn—after the little turkey sandwiches and watching Ugly Betty on the plane’s TV monitors-things got a little bumpy—45 minutes of gut wrenching turbulence over the Gulf. It was pretty bad. A few little kids got airsick, and most of the adults were a little concerned. I heard someone remark to the flight attendant “Who put rocks in the sky? ”The captain did talk to us regularly during the turbulence to reassure us.
After landing at MCO (Mickey’s Corporate Office) I took the train and got in line for the Magical Express. The line went off the carpet and on to the linoleum tiles. But, I was up front and on the red carpet in 20 minutes. Then another 30 minute wait for a bus.

My driver was fun, I got a “real” ME bus, the video worked, and I was the first one off at the first stop-Port Orleans Riverside.
I went immediately to the On-Line Check-In counter, and was on my way to the room in less than 2 minutes-everything was ready for me in a neat little folder.
I was assigned room 9087, which was over the first bridge in the Oak Manor building. My room was on the ground floor and very close to the building groups’s “quiet” pool (the quiet pool was busy 24/7) and laundry room.
Upon inspection, the room was clean and cheerful. The beds were full-sized, and the comforters and sheets were great. The mattresses were firm, and a ceiling fan gave the air conditioner a little help when needed. The TV worked well, although I only watched Stacey on it for a few minutes. My Uncle Ed enjoyed a few minutes of golf on it later in the week.

My room photos:

Yes, everything is not brand-new in this hotel. There were some paint scratches on the coffee shelf in the sink area, and the tub was due for a serious deep clean with a petroleum product, but as clean as any housekeeper could get it. I really liked the mosaic tile floor in the bathroom. It looked like it was easy to keep clean. Plenty of towels were provided, but alas, not one towel animal the entire week. I did tip housekeeping $5 per day in a special Mickey Envelope.

I really wanted to see Fantasmic!, and was very happy to find out that it was playing twice Sunday night. So, I called WDW-DINE, and moved my dinner reservations up to 5:30pm-and headed out for a cab to the Yacht Club. Dinner was great. You can see my restaurant review of the Yachtsman Steakhouse and my other forays into gluttony at WDW by clicking here. There are plenty of food photos included.

After dinner, I walked through the magnificent pool area Yacht Club offers its guest, I boarded the ferry boat to the Hollywood Studios. We stopped at the Swolphin and picked up a few more folks, and we were all on a pleasure cruise to the Studios in no time. The captain was great, and the first mate kept us entertained and gave us good advice about the Fantasmic! Show. I arrived at the studios and found a great restroom, and an old man who was marveling to me about how efficient the toilets were whilst I was washing my hands. I excused myself politely, and started to ride like I never rode before.
First was a Fast Pass pickup for Tower of Terror. Then I beat 50 Brazilian tourists in matching t-shirts into the standby line for Rockin’ Roller Coaster. Victory was mine. I met a nice couple in line at the RNRC who did not even know what Fantasmic!—I had them convinced, and after RNRC, they were off to the 8:30 show.

Let me just say, that RNRC is a great ride. I was expecting it to be lame and tame, being a Disney ride. I was so wrong. It was wild-and I loved it. The pre-show had typical Disney pre-show cheesiness, but it was fun.
Now, I walked right into the library at TOT. The pre-show, again cheesy, but the attention to detail on this ride was amazing. Also amazing was the (imagin)engineering on this thing. I don’t know how they did it, but to make it happen took more math and science than my feeble little mind can comprehend. It was a good long ride through the hotel with the great drops and park views at the end. With that said-it scared a lot of people in my car, including some kids pretty well. Think of sitting on the top of a tall ladder, and then having someone pull it out from under you. There is enough “play” in the seatbelts of this ride to let you “float” several inches out of your seat.

I wandered over to the “Great Movie Ride”, and while waiting for the tram to get back, the cast members were allowing young children to tell jokes on the microphone. One young girl asked, “What is the difference between boogers and broccoli?”…”Kids don’t eat broccoli!” The crowd was rolling, and soon it was time to board the tram for the Great Movie Ride. Now that I am older, I appreciate this ride more. However, the gangster who kidnapped us could not get the tram moving again, and had to ask for help. No help came, so he fiddled with the key-turny thingy for a minute, and eventually we were moving again.

I walked by “Voyage of the Little Mermaid” and CM’s were begging for an audience-with only 5 minutes to show time, I obliged and sat second row-center. I was sorry. The puppets and film clips and special effects were marvelous as I remember them being 16 years ago. Ariel, sadly, was not. The Little Mermaid is not supposed to have a Jersey accent and a mediocre, at best, singing voice. Maybe it was late and she was tired. I smiled and applauded anyway, because this is Disneyworld, and I was just happy to be there.
I headed over to Fantasmic! Being on my own this night, I got a seat down in front easily-10 minutes to show time at the 10pm show. There were vendors hawking glowing souvenirs and cotton candy everywhere. My souvenir from Fantasmic!?... Wonderful memories and a $6 almost cold enough to drink Bud Light.

I don’t want to be a spoiler. All I can say about Fantasmic!, is that you must see it. It is a cross between the Fountains of Bellagio & Mirage Volcano of Las Vegas mixed with every 4 year old’s Disney Dreams which have a Happy Ending. But wait-the night is young…and this post is growing long...to be continued...

Last edited by ChefMickey123; 04-28-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

The Fun Continues, Long into the Night

The Day of Arrival, Part II-April 19th and Part of the 20th

Magic Kingdom Masochist Marathon, 12am-3am EMH

After Fantasmic!, I fought my way out of the park with the masses. I boarded the bus for the Transportation and Ticket center, and then it was off to the Magic Kingdom via Monorail for EMH. Yes, I am a madman. I did it-I got up at 4:30am Mountain time, and flew to Orlando, Checked in, had a very heavy dinner, hit up 4 rides and Fantasmic! at HS, and then—proceeded to the MK for EMH, closing the park at the end of EMH at 3:00am.
And so it began…Off the monorail and straight into the Spectro Magic Parade, already in progress.

I decided not to try to beat the parade, but join it, following the end up to the Hub and head over to Adventure Land, and take every open ride in succession. So here is the list:

Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Jungle Cruise (a whole different experience at night)
Pirates of the Caribbean and associated gift shop
Splash Mountain
Cheese Fries and Dasani Water at Pecos Bills
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan
it’s a small world (why do I torture myself?)
Dumbo, 2x
Teacups, 2x (see comment on iasw)
Buzz Lightyear, 2x
Disney's Philharmagic-Good Stuff.

I was almost glad the Hall of Presidents was down to make an Obama look-alike, and that Space Mountain and TTA was out of commission for repairs.
I dragged my aching feet from Buzz to the park exit and found a bus back to POR. It was quite packed, and I ended up standing, as would be the case for most of my bus journeys, as a single guy should be giving up his seat anyway.

Now it is around 3:45 AM-will I wake up on time to meet my Mom for Epcot the next morning?
Tune in for the next exciting episode.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Now things take a turn—after the little turkey sandwiches and watching Ugly Betty on the plane’s TV monitors-things got a little bumpy—45 minutes of gut wrenching turbulence over the Gulf.
I was one of those sad people, that left on Sunday, when you arrived.
We flew from Orlando to Milwaukee and we had a ton of turbelance too. This was my first time really experiencing it. We flew with AirTran and we had nice seats, since we were sitting in Business Section. We were really bouncing around.

I love POR,
one thing about that Quiet pool, the water is always "freezing".
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Signing on for more.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

HI and welcome back...I think! I just got home yesterday and I am in a post-Disney funk. I'm hoping reading your report and starting mine will help, but I'm pretty bummed! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
DisneyCharacter
Earning My Ears

Great start! I am excited to read this trip report along with your dining reviews. Can't wait for more
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I am loving your report I don't like any type of bad weather when I am on a plane, so I can just imagine how bad it was.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Where did you go friend???? I want more! LOL!

Hope things aren't too busy for you. I miss chatting with ya!

Check in soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: