Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran
Dreaming of my Disney honeymoon!
Beware the troll dolls in Norway...they're creepy!

bread recipes

We're trying to make more things from scratch and I'm collecting recipes. One of our biggest things we need to start is making more bread from scratch. I've got all the stuff in the house but I don't have a good recipe. I really need a good basic bread, but the kids love all the funky ones from the local bakery, so those would be good too (cinnamon swirl, apple, etc...) Anyone care to share their tried and true bread recipes? I have a bread maker, even if just for making the dough in. Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I got a good bread machine bread recipe from AllRecipes.com . It's basic but tastes good. I tried to adapt my mom's recipe for my bread machine but it never came out right.

* 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 3 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 cups bread flour
* 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (I use one packet)

DIRECTIONS

1. Place water, sugar, salt, oil, bread flour and yeast into pan of bread machine.
2. Bake on White Bread setting . Cool on wire racks before slicing.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran

thanks! Do you know what loaf size that is?? I have to choose from 1 lb, 1.5 lb, or 2 lb
Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I purchased my first bread machine last month and I am completely in love with it! I have been using it 3-4 times a week. Here are a couple of my families favorites.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ciabatta-Bread/Detail.aspx

WARNING: These are sinfully good.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Clone-o...on/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-D...ls/Detail.aspx

This made the best pizza dough ever.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bread-M...gh/Detail.aspx
chocovrdmicears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
MEM
DIS Veteran

The trick to making great bread in the bread maker, I have found, is to proof the yeast in the bread bucket with the sugar and warm water for 10 minutes. Then add the flour, salt and in my recipe, olive oil. I know that the instruction manual says not to proof the yeast but we have found it works better if you do! To save money, we buy the large package of yeast at Costco.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
IluvKingLouis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
The trick to making great bread in the bread maker, I have found, is to proof the yeast in the bread bucket with the sugar and warm water for 10 minutes. Then add the flour, salt and in my recipe, olive oil. I know that the instruction manual says not to proof the yeast but we have found it works better if you do! To save money, we buy the large package of yeast at Costco.
That's very interesting. My bread machine instructions tells me to make sure the yeast and water do not make contact. I've not been too happy with any of my breads, but I think I need to take it out after need and bake in my oven. I think it's the shape and uneven browning I don't care for.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvKingLouis View Post
That's very interesting. My bread machine instructions tells me to make sure the yeast and water do not make contact. I've not been too happy with any of my breads, but I think I need to take it out after need and bake in my oven. I think it's the shape and uneven browning I don't care for.
My instructions say the same thing but when I googled "best breadmaker recipe" on allrecipes, there was one recipe with several hundred five star reviews for it and they ALL said to ignore the breadmaker instructions and make sure to proof the yeast first. I tried it both ways and proofing is the way to go - the bread is light and delicious, even when I use half whole wheat flour.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Chicago526
Any dream will do...
I have the best NEW HUSBAND ever!
Clorox Toliet wands, I love these things!
"Hmmm...I have a cookbook."

I have a kitchen aid mixer, and it only came with receipes for basic white bread and wheat bread. If anyone has receipes for other types, I'm all ears!

Yes, I do know the difference between "there, their, and they're". However, often my fingers while typing do not.
Chicago526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran

thank you all very much. I am going to have to try it with proofing the yeast, wouldn't that be great if it was that simple! The breads I've made seem to be really dense and heavy
Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
dhuba
Mouseketeer

When I use my bread machine, I don't proof the yeast, but I do watch it and make sure the dough is the right consistency before it is done kneading it. I have had it for so many years, I can usually tell from across the room the sound it should be making if it is right. I know they are suppose to be set it and forget it, but I found the best results when I watch it. All things are never the same, like the humidity, or the bread flour, which affects how it turns out. Most of the time I pull it out and shape my own rolls, or loaves, and they are light and fluffy. My son really likes when I flatten it out and sprinkle it with a little taco seasoning and cheddar cheese, and roll it up into a loaf for taco bread.
dhuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

I've never, not once, had any problems using the "bread machine" yeast that comes in the jar. What never works for me are the paper packets of "quick/rapid rise" yeast. Though funny story, my friend kept complaining that her bread never worked out and it turns out she was using regular yeast in the same fashion as bread machine yeast i.e. without proofing. And I kid you not, had been doing so for over a year. That's a lot of wasted bread!

In a recent book I purchased, the author puts Vital Wheal Gluten into all of her bread machine recipes. And wow, it REALLY does help the spring! It's really not expensive (though sometimes challenging to find...I did manage to find a box near the flour at Walmart) and especially helps out with those denser wheat breads. But please, PLEASE, do not confuse Vital Wheat Gluten with Gluten Flour. They are not the same product.

I posted this before, but one herbal bread I really enjoyed (totally unnutritious ) is this recipe from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jos-Ros...ad/Detail.aspx If you make it in the bread machine it's still quite good, but you could always form it into a round and bake it in the oven for a more rustic loaf.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
IluvKingLouis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
My instructions say the same thing but when I googled "best breadmaker recipe" on allrecipes, there was one recipe with several hundred five star reviews for it and they ALL said to ignore the breadmaker instructions and make sure to proof the yeast first. I tried it both ways and proofing is the way to go - the bread is light and delicious, even when I use half whole wheat flour.
Thanks for the info! I will definately try this the next time. BTW how long does "prooffing" take? Do you do this before you turn on the machine?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvKingLouis View Post
Thanks for the info! I will definately try this the next time. BTW how long does "prooffing" take? Do you do this before you turn on the machine?
When I proof yeast for things like pizza dough, it's about 5 or so minutes, just long enough for a nice foam to grow on the top of the water/yeast/honey mixture
Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
TALB
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have a recipe for beer bread? I love the stuff, but hate spending so much to buy it from Tastefully Simple. I don't have a bread machine so I need an oven recipe. Thanks
TALB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #15
MKCP5
DIS Veteran

sub

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: