Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec5girl View Post
You are living my dream! I always tell my DH some day........ I will enjoy reading this. I'm a little scared of all this talk about bugs though!
Hi! So glad you joined us in the dream adventure!!!

Yes, that's the right attitude, someday...

I know ~ the bugs Boy I sure don't like bugs...especially the palmetto bugs...
At least no one is talking about snakes! On the other forum you should read about all the snakes people see there!!!

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
dec5girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Hi! So glad you joined us in the dream adventure!!!

Yes, that's the right attitude, someday...

I know ~ the bugs Boy I sure don't like bugs...especially the palmetto bugs...
At least no one is talking about snakes! On the other forum you should read about all the snakes people see there!!!

I'm the most afraid of spiders. Are there any spider threads I should know about?

BTW I think you should rent something for a while to get a feel for which kind of area you like best. And if you rent in a cool condo with a pool then you won't have to pay for the pool boy until you buy your own pool!

dec5girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #33
SydneyBristow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's great to hear. I'm so excited to get input from my fellow DISers. I've been on the city-data forums and a lot of people on there just seem to spew out all negative stuff, like they don't want you to move to their area I've heard that Clermont is full of rednecks! I've heard it was really country and really , really out there...so good to hear this, thanks for your help
I checked out Windermere, but don't like the houses available as much as Clermont. They are more expensive and I don't know, I seem to like Clermont for some reason.
I've also been told about Lake Mary & Dr. Phillips.

Clermont, full of rednecks? That's so off base it's funny.
SydneyBristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #34
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec5girl View Post
I'm the most afraid of spiders. Are there any spider threads I should know about?

BTW I think you should rent something for a while to get a feel for which kind of area you like best. And if you rent in a cool condo with a pool then you won't have to pay for the pool boy until you buy your own pool!
Ooh, I don't like spiders!!! No, I didn't see any threads about spiders in particular, just lots of bugs and snakes...
We are going to rent no doubt ~ we don't want a home to settle down in now, and not Fl. for sure. We're just going to live there for fun for a couple of years.
I did notice lots of pool homes come with pool care, that would be nice. And some are saltwater which I would definately have to have. Then they have nice hot tubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyBristow View Post
Clermont, full of rednecks? That's so off base it's funny.
Really? I thought it didn't sound right. I'm like, rednecks? Now we have lots of those here in NC (no offense to anyone ) but in Clermont?!? Anyway, once again good to hear that. I'm telling you, maybe I should just stay off the Orlando boards on city-data After all this stuff on Clermont I was really starting to doubt the area ~ way far out...lots of rednecks...

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #35
SydneyBristow
DIS Veteran

Whatever you do don't base where you want to move off of other peoples opinions, one persons paradise can be another's nightmare and vice-versa. The towns surrounding Orlando are very diverse in term of feel, people and even the land. Make sure you visit all the areas that interest you in person before you settle on where you'll live, even if this means an extra trip down, it's well worth it!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
SydneyBristow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ooh, I don't like spiders!!! No, I didn't see any threads about spiders in particular, just lots of bugs and snakes...
We are going to rent no doubt ~ we don't want a home to settle down in now, and not Fl. for sure. We're just going to live there for fun for a couple of years.
I did notice lots of pool homes come with pool care, that would be nice. And some are saltwater which I would definately have to have. Then they have nice hot tubs...

Really? I thought it didn't sound right. I'm like, rednecks? Now we have lots of those here in NC (no offense to anyone ) but in Clermont?!? Anyway, once again good to hear that. I'm telling you, maybe I should just stay off the Orlando boards on city-data After all this stuff on Clermont I was really starting to doubt the area ~ way far out...lots of rednecks...

DH use to work in Orlando and he'd hear that kind of stuff all the time, he was like huh? Then he'd start to ask people have you been there? And they'd say no, but I heard..... he'd just laugh. It's built up a lot in recent years too, we moved down to Florida 3 years ago and we can't believe how much has gone up in Clermont since we use to pass through on the way to Disney from Ocala. Maybe it's because Clermont has a southern feel to it, who knows.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #37
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Whatever you do don't base where you want to move off of other peoples opinions, one persons paradise can be another's nightmare and vice-versa. The towns surrounding Orlando are very diverse in term of feel, people and even the land. Make sure you visit all the areas that interest you in person before you settle on where you'll live, even if this means an extra trip down, it's well worth it!
I won't be able to take a trip down before moving. Our u-haul will be sitting in the hotel parking lot while we search for rentals...

But I do hope to have it narrowed down to a few good areas. Clermont seems to be my fave so far, even though the houses I've looked at seem to be about 30 miles from WDW.

I learned long ago not to go by other's reviews alone. Lots of people tend to look at things negitively and I don't ever. I'm a very positive person and have noticed I don't usually agree with other's reviews

It's hard this time though, the first time I've ever moved and to a new place that's so big.

I'm really thankful for everyone's help

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #38
SydneyBristow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I won't be able to take a trip down before moving. Our u-haul will be sitting in the hotel parking lot while we search for rentals...

But I do hope to have it narrowed down to a few good areas. Clermont seems to be my fave so far, even though the houses I've looked at seem to be about 30 miles from WDW.

I learned long ago not to go by other's reviews alone. Lots of people tend to look at things negitively and I don't ever. I'm a very positive person and have noticed I don't usually agree with other's reviews

It's hard this time though, the first time I've ever moved and to a new place that's so big.

I'm really thankful for everyone's help

Maybe you should consider staying in a hotel for a week or so to check things out. Wait I have an idea, I'll PM you.........
Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #39
islangrl
Mouseketeer

Congratulations! I'm in the Tampa Bay area, so no help Orlando wise, but sounds like you guys are going to have some fun!

Quote:
When are we moving you ask? Well...

Do we get a pool home? A home close to WDW? A condo? Help!!!

YES!! Get a pool. I'ts so nice on a summer night to just sit in the pool and relax. You can get a projector and watch movies on the side of your house while floating around. Plus, during the day, in the middle of August, you won't want to be on dry land!
Quote:

I know ~ the bugs Boy I sure don't like bugs

Get yourself some Off Sport, and you'll be okay! As for snakes, I have seen 2.
islangrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #40
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

As others have said, Clermont is not far from WDW. It is nice area with many new housing areas and a lot of new shopping.

I live in Windermere and love it, but housing can be more expensive here than many of the areas in Clermont. I live down the street from an area where the house start at around $3 million.

You are in luck if you are planning on renting a home here now. Many people are desperate to rent homes and you should get a good price on the rent. If you are looking to purchase, it is also a great time, but credit is tight.

I'm glad to hear that you are not in desperate need of jobs as soon as you move here. Jobs are hard to come by right now in this area. There are many people out of work.

Let me know if you have a specific question.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH use to work in Orlando and he'd hear that kind of stuff all the time, he was like huh? Then he'd start to ask people have you been there? And they'd say no, but I heard..... he'd just laugh. It's built up a lot in recent years too, we moved down to Florida 3 years ago and we can't believe how much has gone up in Clermont since we use to pass through on the way to Disney from Ocala. Maybe it's because Clermont has a southern feel to it, who knows.
That's sad, funny and true all at the same time! People do that, I know. They just assume it's far out so there for it's country and full of rednecks, that's really sad. I won't let that bother me.

It is sad how Clermont lost almost all it's orange groves and beautiful land to developments though. I bet it has really changed these past few years.

Where do you live now? How far is it from WDW and do you go to WDW often and do you like where you live a million questions here.

Another thing I can't believe and honestly it has scared my a little until I really thought about it is the crime...is it really that bad in Orlando?!?

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #42
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islangrl View Post
Congratulations! I'm in the Tampa Bay area, so no help Orlando wise, but sounds like you guys are going to have some fun!

YES!! Get a pool. I'ts so nice on a summer night to just sit in the pool and relax. You can get a projector and watch movies on the side of your house while floating around. Plus, during the day, in the middle of August, you won't want to be on dry land!

Get yourself some Off Sport, and you'll be okay! As for snakes, I have seen 2.
Thanks and welcome How do you like the Tampa Bay area? Can't wait to visit and check out the zoo, MOSI, the aquarium and the beaches Do you go to Orlando often?

You made me teary eyed at your paragraph on the pool It just sounds so wonderful the way you described it ~ I just imagined us doing that, the kids love pools of course, they would just be in heaven It sounds so super ~ so Florida
Plus we are at home all day everyday, we'd get our use out of it for sure. It's not too much more to get a pool home I've noticed ~ hopefully I could find one with the care inc. and the child gate around it. Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
As others have said, Clermont is not far from WDW. It is nice area with many new housing areas and a lot of new shopping.

I live in Windermere and love it, but housing can be more expensive here than many of the areas in Clermont. I live down the street from an area where the house start at around $3 million.

You are in luck if you are planning on renting a home here now. Many people are desperate to rent homes and you should get a good price on the rent. If you are looking to purchase, it is also a great time, but credit is tight.

I'm glad to hear that you are not in desperate need of jobs as soon as you move here. Jobs are hard to come by right now in this area. There are many people out of work.

Let me know if you have a specific question.
Windermere sounds great being so close to WDW and full of grand homes. I have looked at pics of some of the choices there.

Yes, we'll have time to find the right families which is good. We can enjoy ourselves and take time to move in

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know if I have any specific questions for sure!

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #43
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'll be following your story because I definitely want to move down that way in the next few years.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #44
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'll be following your story because I definitely want to move down that way in the next few years.

Hi and Welcome So glad you're following along Are you wanting to move to the orlando area?

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #45
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi and Welcome So glad you're following along Are you wanting to move to the orlando area?

Yes! I was looking around the Orlando area, about 15-20 minutes outside, around Altamonte Springs.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: