Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I completely feel for you having to live in the same place for so long! Chuck is due to retire in 4 1/2 years and I honestly don't know if I can handle settling down somewhere. Moving every 3 years or less has been my lifestyle since I left home at 18. I guess I could settle somewhere and continue to travel a lot. But, there's something special about really submersing oneself in a new place. I want Chuck to get a job as a civilian working for the government and continue to move around. I'm not sure how he feels about that - I think he's ready to settle down and buy a house.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog

Last edited by carissanboys; 12-04-2008 at 09:48 AM.
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #17
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

I'm here, thanks for the link. I'm very excited your ggoing to share your move to Orlando with all of us. I know how badly i want to move there too. Just not sure which areas are the most family friendly. I guess we would look for somewhere to move and kind of stay put. I'm not sure if TN is going to be that for our family . So in the next 2 years it will probably be back to NJ or somwhere new for our family.

Anyway I'm really excited for your family. Your days off and weekends are going to the best!! There is so much to do and see there. being closer to the beach will be great, even just to visit. Looking forward to more .
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

My husband and I might move to Orlando as well. We both lose our jobs in Michigan so we have nothing holding us back. We were toying with the idea of Chicago and Denver. But my husband says since I love Disney so much why don't we just move down there? I think both of our families would always be visiting if we moved down there.

We just have to find jobs first
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Ok, I have to join in. I moved to Tampa this past July, so I am just a little over an hour from Orlando and love the area. Thought it would be fun to read someone else adventures. I'll have to check out your TR!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
jmskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

As a resident of greater Orlando, I'll answer questions you may have about the areas that I am familiar with. Welcome!
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
TI double GGER
Mouseketeer

Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of! When my DD went off to college we sold and moved into a 2 bedroom townhome. I love it, can clean the whole place in under an hour. Now we're thinking about moving again, DH is getting ready to retire again, and we really want to be closer to the sea. Lived by the sea my entire life (except for a tour at headquarters in DC) and really miss it. Orlando has lots of lakes but it's just not the same! One thing you mentioned Earthfairy about hurricanes, we do indeed get them in Orlando. You mentioned renting and in my opinion that is a good way to start because living here and visiting are very different. The heat and humidity are relentless. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to it but alot of people find they just can't deal with it. And BUGS!!!!!!!! Gracious they are everywhere! Not trying to discourage you, we love it here, especially being at Disneys back door. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help with any more information.
TI double GGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI double GGER View Post
Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of!
I can so totally see that happening to us! I just get so bored seeing the same surroundings for more than 3 years. I thrive on change. I start to get an itch to move after 2 years.

The military definitely is a great way to see the world.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #23
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
I'm here, thanks for the link. I'm very excited your ggoing to share your move to Orlando with all of us. I know how badly i want to move there too. Just not sure which areas are the most family friendly. I guess we would look for somewhere to move and kind of stay put. I'm not sure if TN is going to be that for our family . So in the next 2 years it will probably be back to NJ or somwhere new for our family.

Anyway I'm really excited for your family. Your days off and weekends are going to the best!! There is so much to do and see there. being closer to the beach will be great, even just to visit. Looking forward to more .
Hi ~ glad you're here

I'm working on checking out the areas ~ have been for a few weeks now. Gosh there are so many to choose from and they are all so different!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
My husband and I might move to Orlando as well. We both lose our jobs in Michigan so we have nothing holding us back. We were toying with the idea of Chicago and Denver. But my husband says since I love Disney so much why don't we just move down there? I think both of our families would always be visiting if we moved down there.

We just have to find jobs first
Your husband is a smart man Why not, that's what we said! Just live there and enjoy it for even a year if you want! Good luck job hunting! It would be a super place for your family and friends to come and visit

Thanks for reading along and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Ok, I have to join in. I moved to Tampa this past July, so I am just a little over an hour from Orlando and love the area. Thought it would be fun to read someone else adventures. I'll have to check out your TR!
Hi! Glad you are joining in Do you love it in Tampa? How often do you visit Orlando?

You should check out the TR ~ it's a great one We had TONS of fun!!!
It's full of pics and I even have links to all the posts to make it easier to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
As a resident of greater Orlando, I'll answer questions you may have about the areas that I am familiar with. Welcome!
Hi! That would be SUPER!!! I need help right now, really badly
I am really trying to find out about the neighborhoods. I'm looking at Clermont right now, nice, new houses for great prices but everyone says it's so far out...Where do you recommend that is close to WDW, I'd prefer to stay under 20 minutes but don't mind the drive for a nice big house in a safe neighborhood! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI double GGER View Post
Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of! When my DD went off to college we sold and moved into a 2 bedroom townhome. I love it, can clean the whole place in under an hour. Now we're thinking about moving again, DH is getting ready to retire again, and we really want to be closer to the sea. Lived by the sea my entire life (except for a tour at headquarters in DC) and really miss it. Orlando has lots of lakes but it's just not the same! One thing you mentioned Earthfairy about hurricanes, we do indeed get them in Orlando. You mentioned renting and in my opinion that is a good way to start because living here and visiting are very different. The heat and humidity are relentless. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to it but alot of people find they just can't deal with it. And BUGS!!!!!!!! Gracious they are everywhere! Not trying to discourage you, we love it here, especially being at Disneys back door. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help with any more information.
Hi there! That's funny. Have you ever thought about RVing fulltime? Sounds like it may work for you guys. That's what my parents want to do too ~ my dad has not liked staying in one place!

I know the heat and humidity is horrid and the bugs too...but know I am fully aware of this ~ that's why I always said I wouldn't live in Fl. Anyway, I'm not sugar coating the move ~ it will be hot and I will be holed up in my air conditioned house during the hottest months! I will deal with it though, just to be able to go to WDW and all the other great places for a couple of years!

Thanks again ~ and I'm always looking for help with areas in Orlando!

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
SydneyBristow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post

Hi! That would be SUPER!!! I need help right now, really badly
I am really trying to find out about the neighborhoods. I'm looking at Clermont right now, nice, new houses for great prices but everyone says it's so far out...Where do you recommend that is close to WDW, I'd prefer to stay under 20 minutes but don't mind the drive for a nice big house in a safe neighborhood! Thanks

Clermont isn't far out at all, there are areas of southern Clermont that are 10 minutes from Disney property. You should look into Windermere too. It's super close to Disney without feeling like your living in tourist world. We lived in Kissimmee off 192 for 6 months and hated it, couldn't move fast enough. It was way too crowded and the traffic was horrible. Windermere is really nice and you can get to the back way into the Magic Kingdom in under 10 minutes.
SydneyBristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
magicmommy
DIS Veteran

How wonderful for you and your family! I look forward to following you on your adventure!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

I hate humidity, but then again I hate the cold weather. I think I would rather take warmer all year round than really cold in the winter.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyBristow View Post
Clermont isn't far out at all, there are areas of southern Clermont that are 10 minutes from Disney property. You should look into Windermere too. It's super close to Disney without feeling like your living in tourist world. We lived in Kissimmee off 192 for 6 months and hated it, couldn't move fast enough. It was way too crowded and the traffic was horrible. Windermere is really nice and you can get to the back way into the Magic Kingdom in under 10 minutes.
That's great to hear. I'm so excited to get input from my fellow DISers. I've been on the city-data forums and a lot of people on there just seem to spew out all negative stuff, like they don't want you to move to their area I've heard that Clermont is full of rednecks! I've heard it was really country and really , really out there...so good to hear this, thanks for your help
I checked out Windermere, but don't like the houses available as much as Clermont. They are more expensive and I don't know, I seem to like Clermont for some reason.
I've also been told about Lake Mary & Dr. Phillips.

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #28
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmommy View Post
How wonderful for you and your family! I look forward to following you on your adventure!
Thanks! And thanks for following us on our adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
I hate humidity, but then again I hate the cold weather. I think I would rather take warmer all year round than really cold in the winter.
Me too ~ I really do. I don't hate the cold too much though, I'd rather have that than the heat honestly, but oh well. I guess it's because I grew up in Alaska
I do have to admit though I am getting tired of the seasons here in NC. Honestly it's a pain to go out in the winter and I don't like going out in the summer either, so it will be about the same in Orlando, we will be out all the time in the nice months!

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #29
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

When Are We Moving???

When are we moving you ask? Well...

It was supposed to be when our lease is up in September, we just renewed it you see

But me, being the person I am figured a way out of the lease without the $3000.00 penalty!

Hey, what can I say ~ when I want something , I want it now and I really try to make it happen

So now, because of certain circumstances, let's just say the ball started rolling without us ~ it seems as though it is meant to be, sooner than later for some reason.

I will know for sure tomorrow , or Sat. morning by the latest, but if all goes as planned, we will be moving in ONE MONTH!!!

Wow ! I can't believe it! It's so exciting but nerve wracking at the same time!

I have SO much to do!!!

So there you have it, I will let you all know as soon as it's definate , within the next 48 hours...

If for some reason things don't go as planned (which is slim) then we WILL be moving in Feb., which is only 2 months away, instead of 9 so it's all good

Next up ~ houses...any help would be appreciated! Do we get a pool home? A home close to WDW? A condo? Help!!!

Living Our Dream

Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
dec5girl
DIS Veteran

You are living my dream! I always tell my DH some day........ I will enjoy reading this. I'm a little scared of all this talk about bugs though!

dec5girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: