Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
NCDisneyMom
DIS Cast Member
That's me... a sympathy crier
I am a closet Saved By The Bell fan

Childhood Snoring

Does anyone here have kids that snore...REALLY loudly?? Our son (almost 6), has always snored a littel bit, but lately it's gotten much louder, and stronger. In fact, last night, he actually woke himself up with it. And, even if he's in bed for 11 hours, he's still tired in the morning. I'm fearing sleep apnea. I've called his ENT, but couldn't get an appointment until next Tuesday. So, I was just wondering if any of your kids have snored like this, and was there anything that was causing it?
NCDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
mom2boys
Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 switchbacks & 2500 vertical feet down and ALL that way back UP to the rim!
I always wondered why, of all the animals on earth, they would pick a hippo

My son snored like crazy until he had his tonsils & adnoids removed. He had been having ear infections and needed tubes in his ears & his adnoids needed to be removed. Whether we did the tonsilectomy was left to DH & I but since they were swollen & practically touching, we went ahead with it. He was already going to be in for surgery. It was more tramatic for me than it was for DS - he was 5 at the time. He no longer snores & hardly ever gets sick anymore.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Has he had his adnoids out? They could be enlarged.

DD snored after one of her cleft palate surgeries. They did a sleep study and she had sleep apnea.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
MidgeD79
DIS Veteran

When ds 11 was 2 he snored - loudly! I made an appoinment with an ENT and then I tape recorded the snoring. He had his tonsils and adnoids removed sonn after. The snoring was gone the night after the surgery!!
MidgeD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
monarchsfan16
Holy smokes, the DIS is a big place!
Was recognized as a New Englander in Yellowstone because I exclaimed wicked awesome as Old Faithful erupted

I'm 19 now and have snored loudly for as long as I remember. I'm sure it was discussed with doctors when I was younger, since my mom is one to panic. Nothing was ever done though, so they must have felt it was ok. I have been told though, that my snoring has lessened a lot since I started allergy medicine. I still snore (and still wake up tired like I have for awhile), but it's *usually* not as loud as it was. I can usually tell when I've had a bad night, because I wake up with a really dry throat.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
roseprincess
Proud Redhead
I was a nerd, too in high school
Ok, I gotta run. Oy!

My dd(8 yrs. old) snores once in a while, but not often. She does have enlarged tonsils- not touching each other tho. My dd's ped, dentist, and ENT said for us for her to keep her tonsils, not to have them removed. I think because of her heart condition, the tonsils are working in her favor to help fight infections.

Maybe put a call into your ds's ped and see what they say?

Rosemarie
roseprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys
My son snored like crazy until he had his tonsils & adnoids removed. He had been having ear infections and needed tubes in his ears & his adnoids needed to be removed. Whether we did the tonsilectomy was left to DH & I but since they were swollen & practically touching, we went ahead with it. He was already going to be in for surgery. It was more tramatic for me than it was for DS - he was 5 at the time. He no longer snores & hardly ever gets sick anymore.
Sounds exactly like my DD, who got her tonsils and adenoids right after she turned 4.

Good luck with the ENT!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My DD did this. When she was 9, we finally had her tonsils and adenoids removed and that TOTALLY cured it. They were way to big.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
elizke
Has feelings for her Crockpot!

My daughter is 7, very very tiny, with a teeny tiny high pitched voice. Not one you'd suspect it of, but snored like a man.

When she started getting nosebleeds in the middle of the night I took her to the doc for it.

Now she takes Zyrtec and nosespray every night before bed and it's much much better. I hope to stop the meds eventually though...

E.
elizke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
mrsmom
Drinks P.C.'s in the C.C. at P.I....MmMmmm Good!Has Disney skeleton keys

I ahve two of four kids with sleep apnea , one was 4 yr old and had his tonsil and adnoids removed and cured it. But my other dd is almost 12 and has bad sleep apnea, she was born with a cleft and had it repaired twice and snores really bad and has been on a cpap machine for 3 yrs , But very little tonsils and adnoids. I would get it checked by an ENT .
Kim
Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
rascalmom
Business trips should include a little Disney
Boomer Sooner! Boomer Sooner! Go OU!
My middle name is Gullible!

I would have her checked out. Snoring & obstructive sleep apnea are now being linked to ADD & other issues in kids. If they have osa, they are often chronically tired. This can affect their school work, etc. With adults, a CPAP (the gold standard) or a dental snore reduction device can be used. In kids, the first thing is to check to see if they have enlarged tonsils & adenoids. If so, they should be removed in most cases. You need a Pediatric ENT who understands sleep apnea. This is very much an emerging area of medicine & dentistry - be sure to find some one who is current on their knowledge in this area. Check with for a website for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. They should have a listing of member doctors in your area.
FW 74, 76, DI 83, CBR 99, OKW 00, Polynesian 01, CR-GV NYE O1/Jan 02, CR-Tower MK View May/June 02, ASMo/OKW July 03, OKW July 04, HRH 10/04, WL Concierge/SSR March 05, OKW June 05, SSR Christmas 2006. SSR July 2007, DL GCH March 2009, OKW May 2011, HRH/BLT Theme Park View March 2012
rascalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
NCDisneyMom
DIS Cast Member
That's me... a sympathy crier
I am a closet Saved By The Bell fan

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did make him an appointment with his ENT (he already has one, thanks to a "growth" he had to have removed from inside one of his ears), but since I couldn't get an appt. until Tuesday afternoon, I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what the cause might have been. I'm glad to see I don't have the only child who snores as loud as his Daddy!
NCDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
Stacerita
AKA the Lexus TinklerMy bad-its Miss Understood. Sorry. Got my drag queens mixed
I guess I did look more like a Hooter's girl than I wanted to

The sweetpea has snoring issues as well. But hers are caused mostly from her allergies. When they are acting up and shes had a bad allergy day, she snores like an old man.

Inappropriate graphics will be deleted from signatures.
Please remember this is a family-friendly site
Stacerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

We have a very similar situation here with DS10. He has bunk beds and sleeps on the bottom. To me, bunk beds are hard and don't have the correct support since the mattress lays on a board rather than a box spring. We think this is allergy related and possibly bed related. We've let him sleep in our bed (which is a pillowtop) and he doesn't snore. Can the hardness of the bunk bed cause you to snore because of possible improper back/neck support or is this a completely ridiculous thought and just a coincidence?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Emily snores, sometimes even whistles when she sleeps - she's 5.

I asked her Dr. about it. She didn't seem concerned about it since she it is not interfering with her sleep.

So maybe there is no problem at all. I would still get it checked.

Denae

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: