Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #511
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you had a great time! I know very little about gaming but your Mini TR really makes me want to know more.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #512
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuccaDrake View Post
I'm totally confused and lost on the whole gaming thing, but sounds fun! Yay for a mini trip before Disney! Someday I'll have you explain the games to me. Are you actually performing as a character or are there cards involved??? I'm used to monopoly and trivial pursuit, this is way beyond me!

~Beka~
It is not anything like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit.

You don't act out the character really, you just determine what the character would do or say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
It sounds like you had a great time! I know very little about gaming but your Mini TR really makes me want to know more.
The best way to describe gaming is this:

A group of friends get together on a Saturday night to play. They all sit around a table and one person sits at the end, that person is the GM or gamemaster. Their main function is to tell the story. The other players play characters (depending on the game it can be superheroes or Pirates) and their decisions affect the story. When they try to affect the story, say by trying to parley with an enemy pirate, they would roll a dice, usually a twenty sided one, and if they get a certian number or above then they succeed, if they don't they fail horribly and something goes wrong. Then the characters will respond to that as well.

Usually you create your own character, but when you go to conventions, you get to play a pregenerated character that was created by the GM.

I hope that helped a little bit.

There is a really great book out there if you are looking for an interesting read, it won the ENnie this year and was really well deserved. It is called Confessions of a Part Time Sorceress: A Girls Guide to D&D by Shelley Mazzanoble. It not only is a great book, but it has some great receipes to try!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/9hft8tdfov8uptww.png[/img]

My Pre-Trip Report- Pumpkins and Pirates
I'm Back!!!! Pumpkins and Pirates and Cowboys, Oh My!

I'm a LapuLapuette, are you? Find out Here Bring rum!!!!

I have been boo'd by If U Had Wings!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #513
willwriteforears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesskeyblade View Post
I have GM'ed before. I love it. It is like a mixture of improv and "Choose Your Own Adventure" where the roll of the dice decides the fate of the characters.

They actually have a really cool game called Dread... It uses a jenga tower instead of dice. I am going to put together a game based on Clue for Halloween. You may enjoy that.
Oh, that does sound fun! I've done murder mysteries a couple of times and enjoyed it, and while I know it's different from gaming, I think there may be some similarities.

Glad to hear your and DF's games went well even if you didn't think so at the time! I think it's human nature to feel self-conscious and be our own worst critic.

That HP Lovecraft version of Where the Wild Things Are sounds really neat!

Looking forward to more!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #514
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is not anything like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit.

You don't act out the character really, you just determine what the character would do or say.

The best way to describe gaming is this:

A group of friends get together on a Saturday night to play. They all sit around a table and one person sits at the end, that person is the GM or gamemaster. Their main function is to tell the story. The other players play characters (depending on the game it can be superheroes or Pirates) and their decisions affect the story. When they try to affect the story, say by trying to parley with an enemy pirate, they would roll a dice, usually a twenty sided one, and if they get a certian number or above then they succeed, if they don't they fail horribly and something goes wrong. Then the characters will respond to that as well.

Usually you create your own character, but when you go to conventions, you get to play a pregenerated character that was created by the GM.

I hope that helped a little bit.

There is a really great book out there if you are looking for an interesting read, it won the ENnie this year and was really well deserved. It is called Confessions of a Part Time Sorceress: A Girls Guide to D&D by Shelley Mazzanoble. It not only is a great book, but it has some great receipes to try!
You forgot to mention the cheap beer, stale potato chips, lousy pizza - and that - at least in my younger, college, end-of-semester days ... you'd start playing on a Saturday morning after breakfast and finish up Sunday night at dinner ... ... and the start studying for finals ...

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #516
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post
You forgot to mention the cheap beer, stale potato chips, lousy pizza - and that - at least in my younger, college, end-of-semester days ... you'd start playing on a Saturday morning after breakfast and finish up Sunday night at dinner ... ... and the start studying for finals ...
I also forgot a lot of gamers addiction to Mountian Dew, but that makes me just thinking about the amount consumed durring GenCon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun, PKB! Are we going to get to see pictures??
I have to load them onto my computer, I had no time to do it this weekend, with a bachelorette party and a quick trip up to maine to visit my grandparents on vacation. I will try tonight!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #517
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say Hi and let you know that I'm reading. Now I have to go back and read the whole thing!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #518
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

Great!!!

I promise to post another update as soon as I can.... Work is crazy!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #519
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

All caught up!!!! How fun. I know nothing about the gaming world but it sounds like you guys have a blast with it (the only game I get to play nowadays is Candyland or something similar!)
Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #520
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
All caught up!!!! How fun. I know nothing about the gaming world but it sounds like you guys have a blast with it (the only game I get to play nowadays is Candyland or something similar!)
We do. DF and I are creative people, and for me this is a chance to get my creative bug out of my system so that my work didn't get all creative. That would not be good.

I love Candy Land!! I play every once in a while with my cousins.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #521
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

GenCon Friday – Super Spies, Shopping, and the ENnies… Oh My!

Friday, we woke up and grabbed breakfast. Then I met a friend and ran for the Hyatt for my morning game, an awesome spy game. This year, I went armed with my new book. I had a blast, and my character even defused a bomb. I played the same character as last year, a techie named Dish. I had to run out right at one , but I can not even begin to describe the pure awesome of this game. I think it is a trilogy, which means the ending is next year and I am going to miss it, because due to wedding stuff; we can't make it!

After that it became ladies afternoon! I ran to lunch with some great ladies from a gaming messageboard at the Webber Grill. The food was yummy and we took our time and chatted. Pictures will be posted as soon as I have five minutes to get them onto the computer!

After lunch, one of my bridesmaids and I went shopping at the dealer hall. I love the Dealer Hall. It is shopping heaven for any gamer. I had a wish list in my head of what I wanted and was off and running. I got geek shirts, a new messenger bag with compartment for battle mat, dice, and of course books. I picked up a great series of books called Monsters and Other Childish Things, a game about what would happen if kids became friends with the monster they hide under the bed.

Then I ran back and got our clothes ready and went to get ready for the ENnies and watch the Olympics with a few friends. I changed and met DF back at the room. We decided that we clean up good, and left for the ENnies. The ENnies are the Oscars of the gaming world. They have a bar and an auction. I bid on and won a collection of books from my favorite gaming publisher. It was a win win situation. The money went to help the ENnies, and I got books I wanted. DF won a set of books and some monster minatures.

After, we went out to dinner with some friends. We had some dinner crashers and got seated right next to karaoke, but we still had a good time. The dinner crashers did bug me a bit, because they dominated the conversation and left no tip, so we had to throw in extra to cover it. But I didn't let that bother me. Then we got back to the hotel, crashed into bed, and just talked for a while, before drifting off to sleep.

Next: Will people stop by the Booth I am working in? Is there anything left in the Dealer Hall that I can buy? Will the school girls escape the pyramids of Egypt? Find out next time….

Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #522
willwriteforears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We do. DF and I are creative people, and for me this is a chance to get my creative bug out of my system so that my work didn't get all creative. That would not be good.
I have the same problem! If I got "creative" with the stuff I edited... Well, I much prefer being employed and saving my creativity for my own writing. 'Course, if I get to the point where my job is to write fiction, so much the better!

PKB, GenCon sounds like so much fun! It's really cool that they have trilogies and stuff that continue year to year. Sorry you'll miss the last one, but of course it's for a good cause!

Sorry also to hear about the dinner crashers, but it sounds like you took it in stride and didn't let them ruin your evening.

Looking forward to hearing about your booth and school girls (hopefully) escaping the pyramid of Egypt!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #523
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Sounds like a great trip so far!

Quote:
they were cat sitting for Min
Is this short for something? Or could she possibly be named after Min from Robert Jordan's Wheel of time? Or completely unrelated to anything above-mentioned? LOL

Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #524
Princesskeyblade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Is this short for something? Or could she possibly be named after Min from Robert Jordan's Wheel of time? Or completely unrelated to anything above-mentioned? LOL
Min is short for Minniver. I don't quite know anything about how she got her name though. I am sure DF would prefer that it was after the characters from Wheel of Time.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #525
willwriteforears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post

Quote:
Min is short for Minniver. I don't quite know anything about how she got her name though. I am sure DF would prefer that it was after the characters from Wheel of Time.

Boy, it's been a while since I've read the WOT books! And I don't think I ever got to the "last" one. Things started to move so slowly in the series in the last few books, I got uninterested. But I am sad Robert Jordan died before he was able to finish the series.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: