Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
belle8306
DIS Veteran

It's always an adventure! Join us for our fall break celebration!! Updated 12-9

Welcome to my first trip report! One Month, One week and 4 days from now my DH and I will be leaving for my favorite place on earth (and possibly yours too if you are reading this) WDW!! I can’t think of a better way to not only increase my excitement (as if that is possible) and make my trip last a little bit longer when we get back than to do a trip report. One of my favorite things to read on the DIS are the trip reports. Especially, when I have no trips close on the horizon. It is fun to live vicariously through others who love Disney just as much as I do.

Before I jump in and breakdown all of my pre-trip plans let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 29 and a first grade teacher. This is my fourth year teaching first grade. I love all things Disney! My DH is 32, a graphic designer and a huge Star Wars fan. He loves WDW as much as I do. Which is really nice! I have been to Disney three times. The first time was on my honeymoon in 2001. We stayed onsite at POR. I didn’t know very much about Disney then. My family didn’t travel a lot when I was growing up. So, when I got the opportunity to go on my honeymoon I was so excited to get to go to Disney. I knew a little from looking at Disney’s web site. We were able to get a honeymoon package which included a photo session with a photographer in a park of our choosing. I chose the Magic Kingdom and we scheduled the photo shoot for the first morning we were there at 9:00 a.m. We didn’t know then that our flight would be delayed for 5 hours and we would sit on the plane for 3 of those hours. (They showed the movie Spy Kids two times in a row. Pure torture!) We didn’t get to our hotel until well after 1:00 a.m. So, we were pretty tired when those pictures were taken. I am glad that we did it though. That trip was a lot of fun. We only had two ADR’s (I know! ) they were at Sci-Fi Dine in (loved the atmosphere, so-so on the food) and 50’s Prime Time Café (food was alright, did not have a good server). We had a great time and we couldn’t wait to go back.
Cut to March of 2006. I had been teaching for a year and a half. My family (DH, Dad, Mom, brother, brother’s gf now wife) decided to go on spring break. We were so excited to show my family everything we loved about Disney World. Our trip started off with a celebrity sighting. On our plane sitting in front of my dad was the actor who played Rosco P. Coltrain on the Dukes of Hazard. (I just looked it up on Wikipedia his name is James Best.) He had been a guest at a car show that weekend. I was a big fan of the Dukes back in the 80’s. I had a Dukes of Hazard nightgown. Yes, they made them). So, that was a pretty interesting way to start off our vacation. We stayed at POR again. We love it there (as you will soon see)! I knew a little more going into things this time (I had found the Unofficial Guide by that point). We had a great time. We rented a surrey bike and rode around POR, which was a lot of fun. We rode a lot of rides that we didn’t get a chance to ride the first time. Most of all, it was cool to experience Disney with my family.

Last edited by belle8306; 12-09-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
belle8306
DIS Veteran

The next year in March of 2007 my husband’s family was planning on going in June. This would include his mom, dad, aunt, brother, sister-in-law (you will hear more about her later as she is just as much a Disney lover as I am. Love ya, Jen! ) Niece and nephew. We thought about it for a day or two and realized we couldn’t pass up on an opportunity to share in Disney with his family. It is our favorite place and people we love. We had to go.

Guess where we decided to stay? Yep, POR won our hearts and credit card again! It is just so beautiful there!

This time Disney was a whole new experience for us thanks to the Dis. My SIL Jen (known on these boards as FairyGodMotherJen) and I researched and planned constantly. We sent countless emails with tidbits like; they give out free ice water at the parks! Or, should we do the fireworks cruise (yes, and it was awesome!). Planning was half the fun of the trip. My in-laws and DH even got in on the planning by helping to make our Mickey tie dye t-shirts. These got us a lot of compliments. My DH and DBIL also each designed a t-shirt so we had 3 to wear while we were there.

This trip had so many highlights. We were on the dining plan and we had some really great meals. We were able to see Fantasmic thanks to a wonderful waitress at Mama Melrose’s. We learned how to hula at O’hana’s. We went on a girls only Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot. That was really cool! I love those Mickey pumpkins!
Our Star Wars loving husbands were able to enjoy a day during Star Wars weekends.

We also were able to see a lot of the displays at Epcot for the Flower and Garden show.

The trip was fantastic! I distinctly remember the last night we were there, sitting at the POR food court and my DH calling his brother asking when we were coming back. A 2010 trip is already in the works. We were so thankful to have the DIS and all of the wonderful tips we gathered. They enhanced our trip and made it even better.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
belle8306
DIS Veteran

My current trip was originally going to be taken in December. I have always wanted to see the decorations . Plus, being a teacher I am more limited as to when I can go during the year. Christmas break seemed like a good time. After doing research on the crowds during the week I wanted to be there (yikes!), and not getting a package price that I wanted, I decided to check into going in October. I have a fall break at the end of the month. Around that time I also got an email with a discount code. It must have been meant to be, because the dates in October that I wanted to go were included in the code. So, we made the decision to book it. Guess where we are staying? Right again! POR!

Although, I am really leaning towards staying at CBR. They have a remodeled pool and they are also redoing a lot of the rooms in a Nemo theme. The grounds look beautiful and a change might be nice. Also, we are considering this as our location for our 2010 trip and I could be the “scout” to see if everyone would like it there. The downside is, that POR is like our Disney home. We feel comfortable there. You know the Cheers song “Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name, and they’re always glad you came…” My 80’s childhood peaks through now and then. We LOVE the grounds there. I’m not sure what we will decide but you know I will keep you posted on that as it develops!

Our ADR’s have been made. I read tons of restaurant reviews in preparation. My husband can be a picky eater (although he is a lot more adventurous than he use to be). When I asked him last year what he wanted to do when we went back to Disney he replied, “Eat more chicken fingers”.

I haven’t told him they changed them to nuggets. I think he will be O.K. with it as long as he can dip them in honey mustard. We will be having dinner at Boma (I am really looking forward to this. I am also doing some research to see if this is a possibility for our grand gathering in 2010). Lunch the next day will be at Tutto Italia. Dinner that night will be at Kona Café. The Poly is awesome. I might even spring for a Lapu Lapu. Then our final night we have late seating at O’hana’s where I am hoping to see Wishes. As far as Counter Service goes, Columbia Harbor House is our tradition at Magic Kingdom. I love the upstairs seating. We would like to get over to Earl of Sandwich one day. At Epcot, I would like to eat at either Sunshine Seasons or one of the countries. I don’t know if we will make it to AK (we only have 3 tour days. Something might have to give) and I am not big on the CS at DHS. It is so hard to not say MGM! I know some of our snacks will be spent at the Food and Wine festival kiosks and some will be reserved for treats at Goofy’s Candy Co. We made rice crispy treats the last time we went in 2007 and it was a lot of fun to watch them being made.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Yeah!! Looks good so far. I learned a little about you - like the Dukes of Hazard!!! Can't wait to hear more. Does DH know you're still thinking about changing hotels?? I think he might be crushed. But you can tell him that I had the chicken nuggets while I was there, and they passed. They still have the same dipping sauce, so he'll be ok. Can't wait to read more - now that we're home, I'm living vicariously through you!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Yeah!! Looks good so far. I learned a little about you - like the Dukes of Hazard!!! Can't wait to hear more. Does DH know you're still thinking about changing hotels?? I think he might be crushed. But you can tell him that I had the chicken nuggets while I was there, and they passed. They still have the same dipping sauce, so he'll be ok. Can't wait to read more - now that we're home, I'm living vicariously through you!
I know The Dukes of Hazard is pretty cheesy. I will blame it on the fact that I was like 4 or 5! You will have to tell him how great the nuggets are. I would take you guys with me if I could!!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
belle8306
DIS Veteran

The best kind of mail came today! Disney mail! We received our Magical Express tags and information. I love to see the Disney Return Address on the envelope!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

MAKE SURE YOUR DH PUTS THE TAGS ON HIS BAGS!!!

Seriously, too many things tend to run in this family. I wouldn't put it past them for this to be one of them! You don't want to have to worry about getting your bags when you land in Orlando. Although, you're going to be getting there later in the day, so maybe you do want them... Just carry some PJs in your carry-on, and you'll be fine.

I bet you're getting excited - time to start a packing list!!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
belle8306
DIS Veteran

I have a small update tonight. I asked DH if he wanted to go to MNSSHP. I was telling him all about it and he said "you had me at do you want to go". So, now I need to order the tickets. I think we will go the second night we are there. I read that weeknights aren't as busy so I am hoping that is true. I also need to rearrange some ADR's. I really want to go to Boma so if we can't make it earlier I will see if we can move it to another night and maybe try a place closer to MK. DH also said "I wouldn't mind going to a character meal". Cool! Chef Mickeys or Liberty Tree Tavern are both good options. Now we need to come up with some shirt designs! I am really excited!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

YEAH!!!!!!

You will love it! Keep us updated on how the changes come out. I know you don't want to give up Boma! You'll also have fun at the character meals. We saw several couples having fun getting their pictures taken at the ones we went to. Look up Liberty Tree Tavern on AllEars before you make an ADR there, though - they're phasing out the characters sometime this year.

Your brother-in-law wants to know if there is any room in your luggage?? He says he'll pay the $25 extra baggage fee...

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
YEAH!!!!!!

You will love it! Keep us updated on how the changes come out. I know you don't want to give up Boma! You'll also have fun at the character meals. We saw several couples having fun getting their pictures taken at the ones we went to. Look up Liberty Tree Tavern on AllEars before you make an ADR there, though - they're phasing out the characters sometime this year.

Your brother-in-law wants to know if there is any room in your luggage?? He says he'll pay the $25 extra baggage fee...
Thanks for the LTT tip. I will do some research on that. The podcast had a lot of good info on MNSSHP. We are really looking forward to it! I think having him come along as a stowaway is more possible than the airline believing that he is a lap baby.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
belle8306
DIS Veteran

I am going to call tonight to get our MNSSHP tickets. We also will be changing our ADR's around a little. Last night I made some trip purchases. Michael's is having a great sale on scrapbooking stickers. I had a gift card from my birthday last month so I stocked up for my Disney vacation book. Then today I got the Disney album that I ordered. I will have to take pictures later and post them. The album is really cute! I also found a new pair of sunglasses that were originally $26 marked down all the way to $4.00! I love bargins!!

Here is a picture from our last trip.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

I love that picture!!!

I still have to get to Michaels - I hope they have some left when I get there tomorrow morning!! Did you get your tickets yet? Oh - Travel Channel has a new show on tonight called "Disney's Best Kept Secrets" or something like that. It says it follows four different families on thier trips - I don't think it's ALL about DVC. Besides, I don't mind watching (and dreaming) about DVC!! I'm going to have DH tape it for me - I'll be at choir.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
belle8306
DIS Veteran

TGIF!!! I have finally uploaded my pictures and I am ready to post an update. First I wanted to show my new scrapbook. I think it is really pretty.

This is the front:

This is the back:

Here are some of the cool scrapbooking stickers I got this week. Michael's had an awesome sale!

My first purchase of something I will actually use on the trip were these super cheap sunglasses:

I love clearance!

Yesterday, we recieved more mail from Disney!!

That is the kind of mail that brightens my day! I love those luggage tags!:

The biggest news is we are officially going to MNSSHP!!! Our tickets have been ordered! We are super excited. My DH is already trying to come up with some T-Shirt ideas. He wants his to be somewhat Star Wars inspired. I just want mine to be cute!:
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Happy Saturday!

Our ADR's have changed. Since we are going to MNSSHP we had to make some adjustments. We basically ended up switiching around Boma and Kona Cafe. We tried to get into Chef Mickey's, LTT, and Crystal Palace. They were all booked (not surprising since it is a MNSSHP night and I am sure everyone had the same idea). So, this is what our current ADR schedule looks like:

Day 1:Dinner at Kona Cafe then MNSSHP

Day 2:Lunch at Tutto Italia Dinner at Boma

Day 3 Dinner at O'hana

Now here is were I start thinking about changing things a bit. Every since DH dropped the bomb last week that he was O.K. with character meals I have been thinking about changing Tutto Italia and doing an early breakfast or maybe a lunch a character place. Here is the delemia if we go to breakfast will it take too long and leave us getting to the parks late? Tutto Italia has been getting some good reviews so I am hesitant to change it. Character meals are a lot of fun though. Hmmm. Any thoughts? Oh, and if I do change which character meal should we do? Something to think about.
Here is a picture from our last trip:

This is me and my DSIL (FairyGodmotherJen) on our Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot. We loved the Cinderella pumpkins. If only I could grow them at my house! By the way, that tour was really cool and totally worth the money.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

If you can get an early seating at Crystal Palace on a day you want to do the MK, definitely go for it!! If not, the new Italian place does sound good. So many choices!!! We didn't have as good a time at Chef Mickey's for breakfast - we liked it more for dinner. But, the little guy was pretty cranky that morning, so that could have something to do with it!

Let us know what you decide!!

October 2012 Trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: