Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
DisCookie
Mouseketeer

My first trip to Disneyland (Dec 11-14) solo TR pics added

Not a super exciting trip report, but I did have a great time.

When I originally booked this hotel and flight package, I didn't really have any Disney plans, but seeing how close it was, I had to go . My goal was to ride everything at least once .

I stayed at the LaQuinta Inn by the airport, not exactly that great of a place and I got placed in one of their rooms by the 405 freeway, so it was quite loud. However, I was tired enough from Disney each day that I didn't really care. Their shuttle service took me to and from the airport, which was nice and helped me avoid having to rent a car for my trip.

Dec 11 (Friday)
I bought my parkhopper from GetAwayToday, so I had to pick up the ticket from the ticket booth. The CM looked up my name and were able to issue my ticket after fiddling around with their printer... First ride was the Buzz Astroblasters, I only got L1 Then I got on Space Mountain, one of my favorites for this trip. Then I started walking around randomly because I didn't get one of the tour guides/brochures/maps.

Eventually I end up in Critter Country where Brer Bear is hanging out in front of Splash Mountain. He doesn't have a CM nearby, so I skip getting my picture with him. I do get pictures with Pooh and Tigger, then pick up a Tigger Tail and Coke from Pooh's Corner.

I wasn't planning on doing any water rides, but I have my poncho with me, so I figure what the heck. I walk into Splash Mountain and there is a Brer Bear statue in the corner. I was thinking that was kinda weird since his character was just outside not to long ago... A moment later, the "statue" jumps to scare the girl in front of me, LOL

Even with the poncho, my jeans got wet because I couldn't get the poncho adjusted during the ride. Since I am without a map, I walk around some more in DL, getting quite hungry because I'm trying to find one of the places that I read about on the boards or one of those giant turkey legs. I can't find either one, so I figure it's about time to head over to DCA. On the way there, I find a place to get maps/brochures (in front of Guest Services I think). I find that the Coke corner is nearby, so I get chili in a bread bowl. It was mediocre, would have probably enjoyed the Mickey head pretzel more.

Head over to DCA, making sure to pick up the brochure/map at the entrance this time . Get my picture taken with the Lightning McQueen and Mater... Then head over to Soaring, the line is kind of long so I opt for the single rider option. The SRL is basically the same as the FP, which still took a bit of time. The FP people get put into line first and the SRL people are put in to fill in any empty seats. I wasn't all that impressed with the movie/ride... Headed over to Grizzly, forgot about the lockers/didn't see them around. Luckily these guys were riding it with me, ended up taking off our shoes on the ride, lol...

After Grizzly, I go over to Paradise Pier. The ride for Toy Story was incredibly long and there is some light rain action going on, but I ride some of the other rides in the area. I get on Mulholland Madness and am in one of the teeny seats, it starts raining really hard, so the ride is stopped . I walk over to the Golden Zephyr and that is closed too . It's only about 6-7ish, but figure I figure it's best to head out, there probably aren't going to be any fireworks...

Dec 12 (Saturday)
Starts off with rain I go to DL for a quick ride on Space Mountain, grabbing a FP for later. Then over to DCA to get on Toy Story, the line is still a 20 minute wait! I wait, figuring it's not really going to get much better. Ride is alright, kinda like Buzz Astroblasters, but I can actually see myself hitting the targets here, lol. Do this ride twice and get a giant turkey leg for $8. The little building that sells the turkey legs, has a pool of water in front of it from all the rain, so I had to carefully tip toe to avoid getting wet shoes. Really disappointed they didn't have someone pushing the water somewhere or perhaps something to keep customers elevated above the pool of water.

Ride some of the other rides on Paradise Pier, including Mulholland Madness. I wasn't really impressed with that ride, the seat feels tiny (admittingly I'm Pooh size), not really sure why it needs FP either... Oh well, another ride of the checklist. I hadn't done tower of terror yet, so I head over that way. By the time I get there, I see that the Aladdin show is about to start, so I grab a FP for tower of terror and walk up the many stairs for the Aladdin show. I didn't think I would like it, but it was actually pretty good. The genie is good comedian, even cracked some jokes about Tiger.. After the show, I use my FP (one of the few times I actually do use a FP) and get on Tower of Terror. Another favorite ride

It's still raining so I do the Animation Studio and Mickey's Playhouse. Mickey's Playhouse is definitely for little ones, but I was glad to be out of the rain. Animation Studio had some of the characters visiting, but they didn't really have CMs so I couldn't get a picture with them. I really wanted one with the Wizard hat Mickey, but there really wasn't a line so people with their kids would go up to Mickey before I had a chance.

There was one PhotoPass guy there, but was only doing pictures with Jessie. I head back to DL to do rides and to try and catch Fantasmic. I couldn't find Fantasmic (think it was actually canceled, but I didn't know it at the time). Anyway, I end up near the Tiki room, figure what the heck, I'll try a Dole Whip. I ask the CM about the fireworks, told they had been canceled as of about 10 minutes ago. (I thought they would have them this evening as a CM mentioned they had them last evening to another guest that was inquiring about them, earlier in the day). I'm sadden to have "wasted" time waiting for them, but drown my sorrows in the Dole Whip. The things are huge looking, but the swirls on the bottom are hollow.

Dec 13 (Sunday)
Finally there is some sun! I spend the day riding some of the rides I haven't gotten to on my checklist. I was also able to catch the Pixar Play Parade in DCA, the Christmas Parade in DL, Fantasmic, and the Believe fireworks. I got on the train after Christmas Parade, we had to wait for the last float to go over the tracks, when we passed by crossing (the area where there is a billboard for AgriFuture, the reindeer (CM in costume, not real ones) were standing there waiting to cross. I thought it was really cute, wish I had been able to get a picture.

I tried the beef nachos at White Water Snacks and they were so good! I almost didn't want to get the nachos because I had some recently from 7-11. However, no comparison. This portion was double if not more and like five times better. They were so good, I got them again the next day (was going to try the clam chowder bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe, but the line was super long).

Dec 14 (Monday)
There were still some rides I hadn't done, so I did those first. I also watched Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, I think I could of gotten on the boat (they were giving out tickets near the ship and there was a CM dressed as a dancer that also had them) but I got scared to do it by myself, lol. It was also a very animal filled day. I saw the turkey (think there was suppose to be two, but I only saw one), a donkey, reindeer (and Santa of course), a horse, and dogs (I think they were being trained for the blind).

I really wanted to catch the fireworks again, because a tree blocked some of them yesterday. However, figured it was better to get back to my hotel to pack for my early flight.

Some overall thoughts
FastPasses - I collected a bunch of these during the trip, but ended up usually not using them. I used them like twice during the trip. I think I could have used them for Soaring, but since I was solo, I was able to use single rider instead. Sometimes the crowds were so low that they just covered the FP machines.

PhotoPass - Going solo, I really liked this service. However, the quality of photos does vary between photographers. I wish I looked at these online before coming home, some of the pictures I would very much like retaking. Even though I was familiar with some of the PP effects, my "reaction" didn't look quite right for the photos. The photographers also did not always volunteer the PP effects, it was probably half and half. I couldn't find PP for doing the ghosties in front of the Haunted Mansion or the dueling with Captain Hook.

Food - I ate breakfast at my hotel or from snacks I had brought. However, I did eat late lunch/early dinner at the parks, because I never wanted to leave once I got there. The portions were often large enough for two or for one person to save some for later . The prices were reasonable for a resort.♦

Last edited by DisCookie; 12-20-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: adding pics
DisCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Would love to see some pictures! I guess I better go start dinner...reading about your food made me really hungry.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting. It was fun to read along
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Thanks for the pictures! Loved all the gingerbread things.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

The pictures were great! What is in a Tigger tail anyway? It looks like a marshmallow and caramel with orange over all of it.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
DisCookie
Mouseketeer

Yep that's right. The orange coat was kinda like a fudge/chocolate, tasted more like vanilla flavor though.

I kept seeing it on the boards, so I thought I have to try one

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: