Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
3dog2kidmom
DIS Veteran

Alright, I'm in! Booked today... I love Kermit and am happy to meet you all!
3dog2kidmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog2kidmom View Post
Alright, I'm in! Booked today... I love Kermit and am happy to meet you all!
Welcome!
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
ranidayz

bump!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
tinkerbeth
Goin' back soon!!

We're In!

I booked this cruise this week as a surprise 10th anniversary pressie for my hubby and me (and our kids. We'll be with our 8 year old son and 3 year old daughter. We've never cruised before and I'm so excited!

I'm reading a trip report from a cruise and I'd never thought about meeting up with people from the boards but it might be fun! I'm a bit nervous that it might not happen...it's so far away! and we can cancel up to 75 days before. But I'm going to be paying it off bit by bit and hope to have it all paid long before we go!

Now I'm going to try to figure out how to put a picture of us in this post...

Last edited by tinkerbeth; 02-06-2009 at 08:43 PM.
tinkerbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
tinkerbeth
Goin' back soon!!

Can anyone enlighten me or point me to a thread about Fish Extenders? I keep reading about that and I have no idea what it is...

Thanks.

Beth
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
ranidayz

First - welcome Tinkerbeth and family! It's going to be a wonderful vacay for all families and especially for those cruising for the first time. We went when my daughter had just turned four and it was fine! There are lots of fun things you can do for anniversaries including dinners at Palo and spa fun!

Fish extenders are a cute way to bond the Dissers that are on the cruise together. Basically, it's like surprise party favors. As we get closer, we'll compile a list of families going and children and their ages (distributed privately of course since these are open boards.) Each family brings some sort of gifts either for the cabin for for each of the children. They can be cruise related gifts, Disney related gifts, personalized gifts, state related gifts - doesn't matter -- basically it's sourvenirs from your DIS buds from the cruise.

You can either buy or make a fish extender (which is a fancy bunch of pockets to hang outside your door) or use a gift bag or a bucket - doesn't matter. Then depending on what the group decides - you either distribute them to the cabins on preset dates or secretly -- so there's usually a surprise waiting for you when you come back at night.

The fish extenders can look like anything, but you've got to get the horizontal measurements right or they won't fit. I'll post those down the page. Anyway, we did it (slightly differently) on our last cruise and the kids still have all of their stuff that they take out and look at all the time. The fun part is making it memorable!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
ranidayz

Fish Extender Instructions (If you're going to make them.)

You need 1/4 yard of fabric, iron interfacing, wide double fold bias tape, and a 3/8" dowel 8" long.

Pockets are 11" X 5 1/2"
Back is 32" X 8"

Cut out backing and pockets then iron on interfacing.
Sew bias tape on top of pocket
pleat once on each side and pin bottom of pocket so that it is 8" wide.
baste, then pin bias tape on bottom and sew on
Pin pockets on backing and sew bottom of pocket to backing
Pin and baste around entire outside of project.
Pin then sew bias tape around outside edge of whole fish extender
fold top over leaving room for you dowel at top and sew along the inside of bias tape down each side to secure.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
ranidayz

There are lots of fun things to do once we get our group going:

We can make shirts with our group Carribbean Amphibians pic and the dates (iron ons at home);

We can arrange group meets and kid meets;

We can figure out the fish extenders;

Etc, Etc.

On our last cruise it was awesome to be walking around the ship and have people calling our names and our kids' names -- it was like being in a very familiar place. The kids always had someone to hang out with at the pool or in the clubs.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
tinkerbeth
Goin' back soon!!

This is so fun! Thanks for explaining fish extenders. When we get closer, I think I'll take those instructions, buy some cool fabric and ask the fashion teacher at my school who is good at sewing and hire a student to make them. (There are a few perks to teaching high school...I know who all the best babysitters are too!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Beth
Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
ranidayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbeth View Post
This is so fun! Thanks for explaining fish extenders. When we get closer, I think I'll take those instructions, buy some cool fabric and ask the fashion teacher at my school who is good at sewing and hire a student to make them. (There are a few perks to teaching high school...I know who all the best babysitters are too!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Beth
I teach middle school as well -- we don't have a sewing teacher, but I do have the best sitters! I think once we get about eight months out that we'll have a bunch more people in the group and things will pick up. I've got fabric in my closet waiting for me to actually sit down and make this sucker! My girlfriend is hot glue gunning hers....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
JustinsMommy07
Mouseketeer

hey everyone!!!
Just checking in....glad to see a few more have joined us We would definitely love to do the fish extenders!! We did them on our last cruise and it was an awesome experience!!
Me DH DS#1 DS#2

JustinsMommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #27
imagine
Earning My Ears

I'm new to all this too so will need some help along the way! I can sew a bit, but pictures help so if you get the fish extender made and can post a pic that would help me!! Sounds like fun to try!!

My 3 year old said last night "we going on a cruise tomorrow" Wish it were that fast - the concept of time just isn't quite there yet!!
imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #28
ranidayz

My husband reminded me that today is the one year anniversary of our Disney Cruise.....best vacay ever! Can't wait to go again!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
ranidayz

OK - totally so excited - I just found out that my bud - and disney expert extrordinairre - whom I met on the last cruise - is going on this cruise, too! She's awesome and knows every tip there is! YAYAY!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
JustinsMommy07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine View Post
I'm new to all this too so will need some help along the way! I can sew a bit, but pictures help so if you get the fish extender made and can post a pic that would help me!! Sounds like fun to try!!

My 3 year old said last night "we going on a cruise tomorrow" Wish it were that fast - the concept of time just isn't quite there yet!!
I don't have any pics of the fish extender from the cruise. I have no idea why I didn't take any...I am guessing that I was upset about not having the magnets for the door. I will try to dig out the fish extender and take a pic to post.
Me DH DS#1 DS#2

JustinsMommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: