Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Lady SnowElla
Mouseketeer

Planning 2009 Summer Trip

My DDs and I are starting to plan our trip for the summer. We would like to do something a little different from our usual WDW trip. We will be celebrating the 15th and 10th adoption anniversaries for my 2 DDs (on their 10th and 5th anniversaries we did the Disney Cruise). We live in Louisiana and enjoy traveling by car, although I have thought about the Amtrak. We don't like to fly. We were thinking about heading to Williamsburg, Washington, D.C., Gettysburg, and up to Hershey with a trip into Philadelphia for the day. How much time would you spend at each site? What can't you miss? Any suggestions for great places to stay? Good deals are always welcome! My youngest DD is 11 and loves history & amusement parks. My oldest DD is 16 & loves to shop & amusement parks. I spent a couple years in Lebanon, PA a number of years ago & would enjoy showing them the Amish country. Has anyone ever traveled into NYC for a night or two by train from Hershey? We flew to NYC the Easter before Katrina & loved it but want to do a little different this year--ok oldest DD just wants to go to NYC & shop & see shows! Youngest DD & I would like to see other parts of the country so willing to go in for a day or two if seemed a viable option. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to start planning. Thanks so much.
Lady SnowElla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

We enjoyed Hershey -lots of coasters and the countryside around it is pretty.
I would think that two days would be good there.
At Williamsburg we stayed in the Great Wolf Lodge and did 1/2 day history and 1/2 day swimming at the hotel.
If you are not doing Bush Gardens -I think two days is good for Williamsburg as well.
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Lady SnowElla
Mouseketeer

I was kinda thinking about not doing Busch Gardens if we did Hershey Park. Did you do Jamestown & other surrounding historical things at Williamsburg?
Lady SnowElla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
clarabelle

Yes
We spent some time walking around Colonial Williamsburg and William and Mary (we have a friend who teaches there) and We also spent an afternoon at Jamestown -they have a reproduction settlement and a film.
I think it depends on how into the history part you are. Some kids might get bored with it pretty quick -others would love it.
My kids were somewhere in the middle. After 4 or 5 hours doing the historic stuff -they were more than ready to play at the water park at the hotel.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Hershey Park is a one day trip; two days is too much. We love Hershey Park.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
clarabelle

mickeys gal- you don't think two days on hershey if you spend one day doing "Chocolate World and checking out the town?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
mickeys gal- you don't think two days on hershey if you spend one day doing "Chocolate World and checking out the town?
No, I really don't. Chocolate World/Hershey Park is a one day event. Chocolate World is quick - very quick. We stop by there first (it's on the way to the entrance to Hershey Park), then head into the park for the day. Maybe I'm missing something else though. What else in the town itself is there to attract visitors for a day? Are you planning on seeing the zoo? It's small and can be done fairly quickly. Then again, it can be skipped and you wouldn't feel like you've missed anything if you know what I mean. With all the places you want to cover, I think I'd move on and get started on the rest of the itinerary. JMHO though.

ETA: When we visited there, my kids were old enough to stay all day in the park - to the bitter end. Maybe your kids are young enough that an all day start to finish in the park wouldn't work for their ages/stamina?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: