Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports > California & the West Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
fireplug
Keeper of the Flame
Look for me at Margaritaville
D/W is always telling me I have MCS (Middle Child Syndrome) :D
Cyber Uncles can send hugs!

AWESOME TR so far!

Squid
Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #32
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisOrBust View Post
Thanks for the TR! This is the trip I have been planning in my head for some time.
Oh, you should definitely do it! We are still talking about it. It was such a wonderful trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplug View Post
AWESOME TR so far!

Squid
Thanks! I hope that I get time this week to add another day.

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #33
bethbuchall

I am finally back with a little more to share! Have you noticed that this TR is turning into more a photo slide show than a report? There are so many sights that I can't begin to do justice to with my words. My photos don't really capture it well either. You'll just have to make the trek for yourselves some day.

Day 7: Grand Tetons to Yellowstone (Who Stole the Mountains?!)

Even though we had a fairly late night, I woke up as dawn was breaking. Everyone else was soundly sleeping, so I quietly slipped into some clothes and crept out into the morning. It was getting dark by the time we pulled in the night before, so I really hadn’t had a chance to see the splendor of Grand Tetons National Park.

This little guy greeted me as I walked away from our “cabin.”

I think I mentioned before that the chipmunks in the West were the largest chipmunks that I’ve even seen. Well, the squirrels were the smallest. The light was still a little dim for my camera to get good shots of this guy, since he was in constant motion. (I haven’t figured out a way to pull a dSLR from dh’s wallet yet. I’m working on it.)

The sun was quickly rising over the pines, so I headed off in search of the mountains.

I was absolutely awed by these mountains. They were simply stunning, beautiful, gorgeous, impressive beyond compare…I’m out of words. I couldn’t stop taking pictures, but they can’t begin to do these sights justice. I was also fascinated by the herds of elk and the sounds that they were making.

Finally, I tore myself away, because I had to get the rest of the family. I took a few photos along the way.

Here is our “cabin.” They are attached units, not freestanding cabins. We didn’t hear our neighbors, though, so they are fairly well soundproofed.

Dh was awake by the time I went back, but the kids were still sound asleep. Dh and I decided to let them sleep a bit longer and take a walk together. I couldn’t stop telling him about the amazing mountains and the beautiful views.

We finally arrived at the back of the lodge, and this is what we see.

Who stole the mountains?! In the five to ten minutes that it took me to walk to the room and bring dh back, a thick blanket of fog had rolled in front of the mountains. You could not even tell that they were back there. The fog was actually much thicker than this photo shows. In fact, the entire foreground was blanketed as well. There were no mountains; there were no elk. Dh wasn’t completely sure why I dragged him from the nice warm bed. I didn’t start taking pictures again until it started to clear. I was too flabbergasted and too busy trying to convince dh that there really were mountains there and that I had seen them just a few minutes before. I showed him the photos that I had taken, but they didn’t look particularly impressive on that teeny, tiny screen. I was happy at this point that we had decided not to wake the kids. I think there may have been a little riot on my hands if I had. We decided to take a short hike, and the fog did slowly clear.

We decided to head back to the room to see if there were any signs of life yet.

We all showered, dressed, and ate something really healthy (NOT!) for breakfast in the room. Then we grabbed the binoculars and marched the kids in the direction of the mountains. I was silently hoping that there were still there.

Even jaded teenagers can be awestruck by the views that we had! We took turns using the binoculars to marvel at the elk and search for moose. Girl really, really, really wanted to see moose on this trip. There were others around us telling us that we were seeing moose, but I’m pretty sure all we saw were elk.

This photo would be the start one of the little running jokes of the trip.

I just loved the look of the green trees against the bright blue sky. I found it so beautiful! This time there was even the moon. I often heard, “Look, mom, green trees, blue sky!” followed by a few giggles. It’s ok; they love me and most of my little quirks.

We could have stayed in that area all day, but once again time was our enemy. We checked out of Jackson Lake Lodge cabins and headed toward Yellowstone. We considered backtracking to the Jenny Lake area, but we really were limited on time. We did stop at the Colter Bay Visitor Center and Indian Arts Museum.

The museum is small but interesting, and we enjoyed wandering around taking in the exhibits. There was no flash photography allowed inside the musem to protect the items on display. I took a few photos, but none turned out good enough to share.

Once again, my family felt a need to be fed. Yes, it was lunchtime already! We went to the grocery store in the Colter Bay Village area and bought everything we needed for a picnic lunch. I think that the deli meat was even less expensive there than it is at home. We headed down to a picnic area by the lake and had a quiet lunch.

Here’s another “green tree, blue sky” photo for you!

And some of the beautiful flowers.

We were sad that we didn’t have more time to devote to Grand Tetons National Park but excited that we were heading up to Yellowstone National Park.

Next up: Day 7 continued (Yellowstone at last!)

Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #34
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I love green trees & blue sky too! Must be an "old person" thing.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #35
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

What happened? I have been enthralled with your trip report (I love to take pictures of green trees and blue sky too!)

Anyway, we are planning a trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone next year and your report stopped.

Are you planning on writing more? Would love to hear about Yellowstone!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
bethbuchall

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
What happened? I have been enthralled with your trip report (I love to take pictures of green trees and blue sky too!)

Anyway, we are planning a trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone next year and your report stopped.

Are you planning on writing more? Would love to hear about Yellowstone!
Hmmm....I guess life happened. This is going to be a very busy weekend, but I'll try to continue on Monday. I'll at least get some photos up for you.

You will love your trip!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #37
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

well chop chop !
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
caitlinsdad
DIS Veteran

Anyone seen day 7? Great report, hope you get to finish it sometime.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #39
caitlinsdad
DIS Veteran

Bump,

Still hopping
Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
katman2540
Mouseketeer

Would love to see day 7 also. Heading out that way next summer with my Wife and she has never been there.
katman2540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: