DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #211
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Your business reasons may change over the next 30 to 50 years.

Pick the UY that covers the majority of your vacations.

It doesn't really matter when your UY is for point loading. What matters is that you have points in your account for your reservation dates.

Bill
Thanks,
Anything can change over the next 30-50 years , so the best anyone can do is take an educated guess on what the future will hold.

That said, our business reasons are highly unlikely to change in the next 28 years (looking at a 2042 resort) . We have been in the business for over 25 years. Its a seasonal business that really can not change barring any radical changes in the weather patterns (like if winter and summer were to reverse some how). As long as we have freezing temperature winters, and nice warm summers our business model and "busy seasons" will not change. Of coarse anything can happen with any business, but that's an unforeseen that would be hard for anyone to predict .........so we have to go with what we know will probably happen in the future.

So..........we do know what our "seasons" are for our ability to take vacations and are trying to come up with a UY that will at least suit what we know will probably happen in the future.

We always take a trip anywhere from last week of July through August sometime. Also somewhere between December through March will, and does work .
Knowing our business (for over 25 years) we can not travel April - end of July and September - beginning of December (except for the Thanksgiving possibly) . We have tried, and things can and do get ugly, lol.
With those parameters in mind (that's the best bet we can take on what the future may hold) .........does a December UY work out o.k. for our situation, or would we be better with some thing else. We generally never need to alter or change our July/August reservations, but may occasionally need to change our December -March reservations due to weather concerns .

I am hoping you UY expert's can guide me a little bit, or tell me if I am missing something. From the research I have done, I think a December UY would be the best compromise for our split up vacation schedule (from what we know the future will hold for us ).

Thanks !

Various stays at : ASM, AKL, AKV, BC, BWI, BWV, FW, GF,
HHI, Poly, POR, WL, VWL, SSR, RPR, HRH, PBR, Off-Site ......

Last edited by Syndrome; 02-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #212
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Thanks,
Anything can change over the next 30-50 years , so the best anyone can do is take an educated guess on what the future will hold.

That said, our business reasons are highly unlikely to change in the next 28 years (looking at a 2042 resort) . We have been in the business for over 25 years. Its a seasonal business that really can not change barring any radical changes in the weather patterns (like if winter and summer were to reverse some how). As long as we have freezing temperature winters, and nice warm summers our business model and "busy seasons" will not change. Of coarse anything can happen with any business, but that's an unforeseen that would be hard for anyone to predict .........so we have to go with what we know will probably happen in the future.

So..........we do know what our "seasons" are for our ability to take vacations and are trying to come up with a UY that will at least suit what we know will probably happen in the future.

We always take a trip anywhere from last week of July through August sometime. Also somewhere between December through March will, and does work .
Knowing our business (for over 25 years) we can not travel April - end of July and September - beginning of December. We have tried, and things can and do get ugly, lol.
With those parameters in mind (that's the best bet we can take on what the future may hold) .........does a December UY work out o.k. for our situation, or would we be better with some thing else. We generally never need to alter or change our July/August reservations, but may occasionally need to change our December -March reservations due to weather concerns .

I am hoping you UY expert's can guide me a little bit, or tell me if I am missing something. From the research I have done, I think a December UY would be the best compromise for our split up vacation schedule (from what we know the future will hold for us ).

Thanks !
Like I said, if a December UY covers more of your travel time and there is a greater possibility of cancelation during those times, then a December UY would appear to be the best.

Remember you are looking for an 8 month period which will allow you to bank your points should you wish to cancel your reservation and you can't use the points up before the end of the UY, that's all, just a little added insurance that is free.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #213
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Thanks Bill, That's what I kind of wanted some input on. Given our travel dates, I was wondering if a December UY would suit us the best.
Since our dates seem to work with a December UY, our summer reservations almost will never be canceled, where as our winter plans may change from time to time, and there are plenty of December UY contracts to choose from ........I thought ( in my still newbie, DVC mindset) that a December UY would be the best for us.
Just looking for some help from some of the DVC experts !

Thanks

Various stays at : ASM, AKL, AKV, BC, BWI, BWV, FW, GF,
HHI, Poly, POR, WL, VWL, SSR, RPR, HRH, PBR, Off-Site ......
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #214
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Thanks Bill, That's what I kind of wanted some input on. Given our travel dates, I was wondering if a December UY would suit us the best. Since our dates seem to work with a December UY, our summer reservations almost will never be canceled, where as our winter plans may change from time to time, and there are plenty of December UY contracts to choose from ........I thought ( in my still newbie, DVC mindset) that a December UY would be the best for us. Just looking for some help from some of the DVC experts ! Thanks
I'd go with December UY based on current travel plans..

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #215
ILDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

This is all great information and has helped me understand! Thanks!
ILDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #216
Ensusieasm
Earning My Ears

If I plan to use points in January, February, or March every year, what Use Year should I buy?
Ensusieasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #217
PacoDF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensusieasm View Post
If I plan to use points in January, February, or March every year, what Use Year should I buy?
December, October and September would be fine for you. December is the better for you. Even August would work for you.

You have 8 months of protection after your UY starts, so all those are ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTj-B5aORc
PacoDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #218
Ensusieasm
Earning My Ears

Thank You!

Thanks for the advice. Now I will know what to look for.
Ensusieasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #219
mhawk4
Mouseketeer

Location: much too far away from DW, the place where they take care of me

Use year and what I have so confuses me

When it comes to what points I have and what I have to use I am a total idiot. I can handle a large budget for a university, oversee major academic programs, and manage staff, but I CANNOT get my mind wrapped around the whole use year stuff especially when I am thinking a few years out. One minute I think I have it all figured out and the next ahhhh!

Just sold 265 to David's Vacation Rental and will loose 16 because the points expire in May 2014 but that is due to my stupidity and don't want to repeat this.

Currently I have the following:
Use Year June 2014
Total Annual Allotment of Vacation Points 240
Total Vacation Points Remaining 215
Total Vacation Points Available to Bank 215
Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow 215
I know I need to use these by May 2015

Use Year June 2015
Total Vacation Points Remaining 240
Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow 240
Need to use by May 2016

Use Year June 2016
Total Vacation Points Remaining 240
Total Vacation Points Available to Borrow 240
Need to use by May 2017

I am thinking of selling the 215 (2014) and 240 (2015) points as we cannot go to Disney until April 2016 due to work and life circumstances.

So am I right in that I could sell the 2014 and 2015 years now and then use 2016 points and possibly borrow 2017 points if we need them for a April 2016 vacation?

I could make the reservations in April 2015 for April 2016 for my home resort using the 2016 and borrowing 2017 if I need it. Or should I save some of the 2015 points to use in 2016.

I am usually really smart about these things but don't feel so smart with this.

Thank you to anyone who can give me help!

And sorry for the long post!

POFQ - May 2010
AKV - December 2010
Dream - April 2012

Me, DH , DD , DD , DDog
mhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #220
PacoDF
Mouseketeer

You are wrong about your date and use year. Since you have a June use year, your next trip in April 2016 actually is within your June 2015 UY. Your 2016UY starts June 1st, 2016. So April 2016 is still your 2015 UY.

If you need 240 or less points for your trip, then you can rent out your remaining 2014 points. If you need more than 240 I would bank the amount needed of the 2014 into your 2015 so you can use them along your 2015 allotment, then sell the remaining if any. That way you will not need to borrow the next year (I think is always best to bank instead of borrowing) and you can plan a new trip after June 2016 without borrowing.

Other alternative is to bank all your 2014 points, use those first and whatever amount of 2015 you need, and the rest 2015 either bank them into 2016 or sell them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTj-B5aORc
PacoDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #221
mhawk4
Mouseketeer

Location: much too far away from DW, the place where they take care of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoDF View Post
You are wrong about your date and use year. Since you have a June use year, your next trip in April 2016 actually is within your June 2015 UY. Your 2016UY starts June 1st, 2016. So April 2016 is still your 2015 UY.

If you need 240 or less points for your trip, then you can rent out your remaining 2014 points. If you need more than 240 I would bank the amount needed of the 2014 into your 2015 so you can use them along your 2015 allotment, then sell the remaining if any. That way you will not need to borrow the next year (I think is always best to bank instead of borrowing) and you can plan a new trip after June 2016 without borrowing.

Other alternative is to bank all your 2014 points, use those first and whatever amount of 2015 you need, and the rest 2015 either bank them into 2016 or sell them.
Thanks, I do get confused regarding how long banked points are good for and when they expire and how far forward I can borrow points.

Our next trip will be April 2016 but the following one won't be until April or June/July of 2018 as we have family trip to the Grand Canyon in summer 2017. So that was why I was thinking of selling the 2014 points and some of the 2015 points, holding some 2015 points and borrowing points for our April 2016 trip.

Thanks!

POFQ - May 2010
AKV - December 2010
Dream - April 2012

Me, DH , DD , DD , DDog
mhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #222
agie65
New Disney Fan

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhawk4 View Post
Thanks, I do get confused regarding how long banked points are good for and when they expire and how far forward I can borrow points. Our next trip will be April 2016 but the following one won't be until April or June/July of 2018 as we have family trip to the Grand Canyon in summer 2017. So that was why I was thinking of selling the 2014 points and some of the 2015 points, holding some 2015 points and borrowing points for our April 2016 trip. Thanks!
I look at this way, all pts have 2 yr life span. You can bank into next use yr if you are going to use it, otherwise I will rent them out to get money out. If you are short next yr you can always, borrow or get transferred in.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #223
DeefromOhio
Earning My Ears

Help understanding UY

CAROLMN has a fabulous explanation of UY on page one of this thread and she updated it for 2014.

I'm brand new to DVC and just signed a contract for 220 points at SSR with a UY of December. Her example used an October UY, so I copied her post, pasted it to Word, and customized it to my December UY, by moving every example back by two months. For instance, her October UY required points be banked by May 31st, so I just moved mine to July 31st.

I really needed some help in understanding this stuff and her post really helped a lot. If you haven't read it yet, then check it out and customize it your UY!

Happy to "almost" be part of DVC.
DeefromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #224
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeefromOhio View Post
CAROLMN has a fabulous explanation of UY on page one of this thread and she updated it for 2014.

I'm brand new to DVC and just signed a contract for 220 points at SSR with a UY of December. Her example used an October UY, so I copied her post, pasted it to Word, and customized it to my December UY, by moving every example back by two months. For instance, her October UY required points be banked by May 31st, so I just moved mine to July 31st.

I really needed some help in understanding this stuff and her post really helped a lot. If you haven't read it yet, then check it out and customize it your UY!

Happy to "almost" be part of DVC.
Thank you! You used the example to do exactly what I hoped people would do - used it to help you understand the use year you purchased.

Hope to officially welcome you home very soon!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #225
FF/MEDIC MEL
Mouseketeer

OK Folks, my head is still spinning, We are going to buy a DVC through resale. We usually visit WDW in September, October, January, or February. What use year should we look at getting. Please make this easy. This will be a purchase in order to get our foot in the door when Poly goes on sale. Thanks in advance.
FF/MEDIC MEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: