Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #1231
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I'm pleased with the bowling alley announcement because it can be family oriented most of the time but become adult-only later in the evening. The fact that there will be entertainment and music sounds promising.

I'm also pleased that Hyperion Wharf is confirmed to be on hold. This was suspected since the demolitions ended with just two clubs lost. It confirmed the rumor that was posted in April that demolitions were on hold. The second part of that April rumor was that third parties were going to be allowed to reopen existing club buildings as clubs. That has yet to be borne out but today's announcement supports that this could be a possibility.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #1232
angelmav
DIS Veteran

I am just glad to finally have a place to bowl, heck Ill bet I havent been bowling in...2 weeks!

Actually, for anyone that knows their Disney history, Disney used to own and operate a Bowling center, Celebrity Sports Center in Denver. Never really turned into what they hoped for though, but they did use it to train management.

As long as the clubs come back in some form and adult nighlife returns, things can finally start heading in the right direction, though I dont see myself bothering to bowl on vacation, but if I were a local I wouldnt mind, which may be part of the plan (assuming there even is one).
angelmav is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #1233
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmav View Post
Actually, for anyone that knows their Disney history, Disney used to own and operate a Bowling center, Celebrity Sports Center in Denver. Never really turned into what they hoped for though, but they did use it to train management.
Yet, this is a third party chain coming in...

And if Disney thinks I'm going to pay shipping on or try and fit my bowling balls in my luggage, they are sadly mistaken.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #1234
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

I have yet to see a movie on vacation, but if that wasn't doing well it wouldn't be there. Turning a record store into a pool hall/Bowlling ally can be a step in the right direction towwards some adut oriented nightlife. Although I don't see myself ever going bowling or shooting pool on vacation. Mayabe APA can move from Vegas to WDW. I doubt it.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #1235
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

Translated in to non-corporate speak: It's been three years and we still don't have a clue what we're doing. But you'll love it!

Zulemara:
Now, the PI news on the other hand, virtually affirms what has been rumored. They are "redesigning" translation = we effed up AGAIN.

Basically, someone somewhere in Disney offices has to look at the bottom line and say:

"Hunh... I guess closing down the nightlife instead of just reducing it to certain nights of the week, until the economy gets a little better, and replacing all the clubs with stores that, not only, have NOTHING to do with Disney, but also sell over priced mercahndise people don't want, might not have been the best idea.

Hmmmm.... How to back pedal this?"

Seriously, when I went to WDW last Dec, I just had to see what the changes looked like. We went inside the stores that occupied what used to be the clubs, and I can honestly say, we did not find 1 thing that we wanted to buy.

They definitely put the cart before the horse on this call.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #1236
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Basically, someone somewhere in Disney offices has to look at the bottom line and say:

"Hunh... I guess closing down the nightlife instead of just reducing it to certain nights of the week, until the economy gets a little better, and replacing all the clubs with stores that, not only, have NOTHING to do with Disney, but also sell over priced mercahndise people don't want, might not have been the best idea.

Hmmmm.... How to back pedal this?"

Seriously, when I went to WDW last Dec, I just had to see what the changes looked like. We went inside the stores that occupied what used to be the clubs, and I can honestly say, we did not find 1 thing that we wanted to buy.

They definitely put the cart before the horse on this call.
Thanks, I appreciate the support, but I'm curious about the stores you went into. Of the clubs that closed, 2 were demolished and the rest sit empty and unused. Nothing has directly replaced a club since the closing in 2008

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #1237
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Well, it looks like slightly more than a bowling alley...described as:

But really...they think I've flown 1,500 miles because what I really want to do is go bowling? More reasons to not feel bad to continue my one-man boycott of DTD.

My favorite line is this.

Translated in to non-corporate speak: It's been three years and we still don't have a clue what we're doing. But you'll love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the support, but I'm curious about the stores you went into. Of the clubs that closed, 2 were demolished and the rest sit empty and unused. Nothing has directly replaced a club since the closing in 2008
Sorry. I should've said venues. From my previous visit ('04) I didn't remember a Harley Davidson Store and the surf shop inside Pleasure Island. They may have been on the WEST SIDE. There was no Raglan Road, though. The Harley and surf stores may have been in PI in 04 and I just didn't notice. But Raglan was definitely not there.

Last edited by BDL; 07-13-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #1238
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Sorry. I should've said venues. From my previous visit ('04) I didn't remember a Harley Davidson Store and the surf shop inside Pleasure Island. They may have been on the WEST SIDE. There was no Raglan Road, though. The Harley and surf stores may have been in PI in 04 and I just didn't notice. But Raglan was definitely not there.
Harley and curl both replaced previous stores which were Disney operated. Regland replaced the Jazz club.

Anyway, makes sense now. thanks

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1239
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Harley and curl both replaced previous stores which were Disney operated. Regland replaced the Jazz club.

Anyway, makes sense now. thanks
No worries. I was probably a little too vague in my 1st post. I just tend to get a tad bit animated when it comes to the closing of ALL of the clubs and fun on PI. It was a great way to wrap up a day. In fact, the last time I was there (when the clubs were still open) a group of us were in WDW the week of the 2004/2005 New Year's Eve. A couple of us were in PI for it. The rest of the group went to MK for the night and said that those of us that went to PI were missing out. When we compared notes the following day, the PI group had won (The Sugar Hill Gang and Blondie performed on top of all the festivities).

Plus, it used to be soooooooooooo easy to get to Pleasure Island for the nightlife. We usually stayed at POR. We'd take the water cab there and the bus back. Now to get to the Disney nightlife, we have to take a bus to EPCOT, then either bus or walk to The Boardwalk and then take a taxi back.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #1240
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmav View Post
...As long as the clubs come back in some form and adult nighlife returns, things can finally start heading in the right direction, though I dont see myself bothering to bowl on vacation, but if I were a local I wouldnt mind, which may be part of the plan (assuming there even is one).
$23 group drinks (4 straws)! Looks like a fish bowl. $6 cookie? It better be good enough to make me cry for $6.

Pizza looks halfway decent. Looks like they have pool tables?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #1241
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

I agree with having no desire to bowl or play pool on vacation.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #1242
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Disney has filed Notices of Commencement (construction permits) to renovate Mannequins, Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse and BET Soundstage.

Pictures of the Notices at:
http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...n-permits.html

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #1243
Oglet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Disney has filed Notices of Commencement (construction permits) to renovate Mannequins, Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse and BET Soundstage.

BobK/Orlando
Good catch! Thank you!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #1244
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

To bad the permits don't say what the renovations are going to consist of or what the final product is going to be. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #1245
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post

BobK/Orlando
Interesting... but don't they call everything a "renovation" where there's any kind of existing structure to work from, to skirt some part of the process? I think the Mermaid ride in FLE was posted as a "renovation" of 20K, because there was still a single wall left from a portion of the ride, or something like that.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: