Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #1156
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Quote:
glorified upscale strip mall.
I think you were being too kind. I do not see it as upscale at all. (And not much glory. )
I see it as a tourist trap. (Basically for people who do not want to buy a park ticket for one day.) But funny because I read a post where someone thought DTD was for locals. I can't see many locals going there. But maybe they do.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #1157
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
I think you were being too kind. I do not see it as upscale at all. (And not much glory. )
I see it as a tourist trap. (Basically for people who do not want to buy a park ticket for one day.) But funny because I read a post where someone thought DTD was for locals. I can't see many locals going there. But maybe they do.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I was there to renew my TIW card recently and it was an absolutely horrible place. Just horrible.

City Walk does attract a lot of locals and it is a 100% better than DTD.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #1158
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

As an Orlando local, I do go to DTD several times a year besides the trips there for photos for the Save PI blog. We dine at Earl of Sandwich and Paradiso 37 but that's about it. Go to the pin store once in awhile and LEGO store once in awhile. I go to House of Blues about once a year. I have little need for most everything else out there and in reality, most everything can be purchased elsewhere in town for the same money or less.

I do think any huge development such as Disney World needs a shopping area and so DTD serves that need well. Most of us who are mad are mad about the PI situation and the what the rest of DTD has or does not have is irrelevant. When it comes to clubs, certainly CityWalk is better. It has clubs; DTD has gotten out of that business with a couple exceptoins. But for general shopping, I can't see how anyone would think CityWalk is better. There really is not much there shopping-wise.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #1159
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
As an Orlando local, I do go to DTD several times a year besides the trips there for photos for the Save PI blog. We dine at Earl of Sandwich and Paradiso 37 but that's about it. Go to the pin store once in awhile and LEGO store once in awhile. I go to House of Blues about once a year. I have little need for most everything else out there and in reality, most everything can be purchased elsewhere in town for the same money or less.

I do think any huge development such as Disney World needs a shopping area and so DTD serves that need well. Most of us who are mad are mad about the PI situation and the what the rest of DTD has or does not have is irrelevant. When it comes to clubs, certainly CityWalk is better. It has clubs; DTD has gotten out of that business with a couple exceptoins. But for general shopping, I can't see how anyone would think CityWalk is better. There really is not much there shopping-wise.

BobK/Orlando
I agree King, but for food, clubs, cocktails and just kickin' back an such, City Walk is much better ... Plus the fact that both parks and all three hotels (for the visitors) are just steps away.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #1160
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

As reported elsewhere:

1. Little Missmatched is moving from the West Side to the Marketplace, moving into space currently occupied by the $10 Store.

2. Mickey's Groove in the West Side is closing permanently.

3. Orlando Harley-Davidson is moving from Pleasure Island to the West Side, taking over the combined space where Little Missmatched and Mickey's Groove were located.

4. Ridemakerz is closing. One rumor has them closing permanently while one has them reopening on Pleasure Island/Hyperion Wharf.

5. No word on the Ridemakerz (formerly Virgin Megastore) spot. One rumor has the space being subdivided into smaller stores.

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #1161
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

On 8/25/08 I created this thread by asking the question, So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

Tonight the answer has finally been revealed on my non-commercial Save Pleasure Island Blog.

And the answer is very sad indeed.

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #1162
txdznydude
I'm going to Disney World!

I'll be there in May. I can't wait to go to Pleasure Island and watch the grass grow!
txdznydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #1163
mick1229
Earning My Ears

Hopefully eventually there will be some cool spots to hang out at..I regret that I never got to see the Adventurers club....I agree that PI is more fun,especially if you are staying at one of UO hotels....I actually enjoy the DTD at Disneyland because of the proximity to the parks and hotels...right now my favorite place to hangout at in Disney is the boardwalk after a day at EPCOT
mick1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #1164
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

For any Comedy Warehouse fans in Orlando, June 2nd you can see some of the old cast...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....23305&comments
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #1165
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

keep forgetting to post about this!

screamscape on their orlando page had post saying there was a rumour going around that "the infamous Jekyll & Hyde Club from New York City may be looking into opening a new site in Orlando".

http://www.screamscape.com/html/orlando.htm

now I've never been to the club in new york, but i took a look at their website and it sounds like a kinda slightly scary version of adventurers club. So its gonna be interesting to see if this turns out to be true and if so where it ends up... Its a 3rd party venue, and maybe kinda venue to appease the adventurers club fans a little so its possible Disney could be interested, however I cant help but feel it would be far more suited to citywalk.

anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #1166
kenny
I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train. - Walter E. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
keep forgetting to post about this!

screamscape on their orlando page had post saying there was a rumour going around that "the infamous Jekyll & Hyde Club from New York City may be looking into opening a new site in Orlando".

http://www.screamscape.com/html/orlando.htm

now I've never been to the club in new york, but i took a look at their website and it sounds like a kinda slightly scary version of adventurers club. So its gonna be interesting to see if this turns out to be true and if so where it ends up... Its a 3rd party venue, and maybe kinda venue to appease the adventurers club fans a little so its possible Disney could be interested, however I cant help but feel it would be far more suited to citywalk.

There are actually 2 in NYC. A small one down in the village and a larger multi-storied one in midtown.

Having been to both, they are cool, but along the same lines of a rainforest cafe or the dino restaurant. Not scary but I guess they could be to younger children.

Would be interesting to see something like that at Disney. Not that it would happen but if they could incorporate stuff from HM, then it would be a great tie in.

kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #1167
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Link did not work for me. But is the reference to Buster and something's restaurant? I think that restaurant is going in off I Drive -- more towards the Pointe Orlando area, or whatever they call it. Where the upside down building is.
(We have only gone to that area for BB King's restaurant.)
And I do not think it is going in that complex. Just around that area. So nowhere near DTD.

OK -- there is a Dave & Busters opening in July in Orlando.
And I see Jekyll & Hyde is something much more different.
http://jekyllpub.com/
Anything would be an improvement for DTD over the current offerings and promises....

Last edited by Luv2Roam; 04-21-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #1168
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Dave & Busters is going into the location formerly occupied by Race Rock. You can see it driving along I-4 across from the Turkey Lake Road Wal-Mart.

As for Jekyll & Hyde Club, Lance at Screamscape asks if anyone else has heard the rumor that the club is looking for an Orlando location. No, I never heard such a rumor until he brought it up. Would Disney would bite at the concept
for Pleasure Island/Hyperion Wharf? I think they'd bite at anything right now but Mannequins would be way too expensive to convert. But the existing Adventurers Club space would seem to work well. I can't see it for CityWalk though which is making way too much money from dance clubs to give that up for a place that would have high labor costs and much lower alcohol sales.

BobK/Orlando
www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #1169
nytimez
Nihilist

I've never been to the Adventurer's Club. But I have been to both locations of Jeckyll & Hyde, although not in recent years.

To be honest, I always pictured the Adventurers Club as sort of a version of Jeckyll & Hyde, at least as it was years ago.

There was a comic macabre theme, and actors in character would wander the restaurant and interact with the guests... lots of props, wall trophies that spoke to people, a bit of a show, and so on.

I know nothing will replace the Adventurer's Club for you die-hard fans, but this might be something akin to the next best thing if it's true.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #1170
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post

As for Jekyll & Hyde Club, Lance at Screamscape asks if anyone else has heard the rumor that the club is looking for an Orlando location. No, I never heard such a rumor until he brought it up. Would Disney would bite at the concept
for Pleasure Island/Hyperion Wharf? I think they'd bite at anything right now but Mannequins would be way too expensive to convert. But the existing Adventurers Club space would seem to work well. I can't see it for CityWalk though which is making way too much money from dance clubs to give that up for a place that would have high labor costs and much lower alcohol sales.

BobK/Orlando
www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com
Bob, I didn't send you this because I have no idea of the original source, but a friend heard J&H would be going into Red Coconut. He told me this the same day the ScreamScape story broke, take that for what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
To be honest, I always pictured the Adventurers Club as sort of a version of Jeckyll & Hyde, at least as it was years ago.
I don't think it's a big secret that J&H was built as an AdvClub rip-off/homage. As I recall, one of the original AdvClub actors wrote the scripts for J&H after moving to NYC. There are even portraits of an aviator and a guy in a white suit and red fez clearly meant to suggest AdvClub characters Hathaway Browne and Otis Wren.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: